[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Superhero RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I've never actually seen a Superhero RPG thread here.

Preferred system? I'm looking into Mutants & Masterminds right now, but there seem like a lot of options.

Preferred tone? Hammy silver age vs gritty modern?

Preferred kind of hero? Or do you like to play the villain?
>>
File: 1448437507879.png (287KB, 533x656px) Image search: [Google]
1448437507879.png
287KB, 533x656px
>>44739065
>Preferred system?

My jam's Mutants & Masterminds, with equal preference between 2E and 3E.

>Preferred tone?

I'm pretty into Tokusatsu and battle-type Shounen manga, so tone tends to go up and down.

>Preferred kind of hero?

My go-to is either the transforming armor-type a la Kamen Rider or some kind of psychic.
>>
>>44739065

Enjoyed the hell out of Aberrant, but it's really only good for telling the Trinity story. You can fluff it for other things, but it's just too well suited to its own universe.

Tone depends on your players, I guess.

I like to play the 'flying brick'. Boring but satisfying. I kind of want to play a weaker, more street-level or small-time game though. It'd be a welcome change from big epic quests.
>>
I've played a couple of games of mutants and masterminds and gm'ed one, they were pretty neat i guess. when i was GM'ing the party was composed of a teleporter with super strength and immortality, a dude who transformed into a suped up gorilla, and a dude in a power suit. it was weird.
>>
>>44739065
I LOVE Marvel Haroic Roleplaying, but the lack of any nonrandom procedural character creation system made it feel incomplete. There are some fan-made ones, and they're allright.
>>
>>44739065
I'm currently learning Wild Talents, it's a pretty awesome derivative of ORE.
I plan to run a low-power campaign for some of the other writers/photographers of my community college newspaper where the players are journalists with super powers in a world where 40-50% of the population has special abilities.
>>
>>44739065
Tell me /tg/: How do Superhero campaigns usually go? It seems a bit strange to me since you are supposed to win and be super awesome. Sounds like it might get boring fast. Just my honest opininon. I've never played one so I have no idea what they are like. What's the appeal?
>>
>>44739065
The best tone is straight up Sentai.
>>
>>44739065
Mutants and Masterminds 3e is my preferred system. I like silver age tone best at the moment. I prefer to play the powerhouse.
>>
>>44743613
It depends on the tone of the campaign.

Like full silver age ham with everybody doing dramatic speeches in a comic-by-comic session format or gritty Punisher stuff.
>>
Played some Worlds in Peril; I felt the mechanics went really well with the comic book theme.
>>
>>44739065
>Preferred system?
ORE but depending on if you want heroes I'd go with Wild Talents for versatility and being ORE, but villians I would go with Better Angels because everyone playing their own villian and someone elses demon trying to drag them to hell is fairly glorious with the backstabbing, madness, and over the top cartoony villiany.

>Preferred tone?
As mentioned above I have had great fun with over the top, full on, entire pig worth of ham super villiany

>Preferred kind of hero?
JUSTICE MAN!
>Or do you like to play the villain?
This one
>>
I'd consider running a supers game if I didn't think that one or more of the players would beg me to let them be !Saitama
>>
>>44739065
M&M 3. 2e can go fuck itself, but I haven't deeply looked into others.

Moderate grit modern. Not "everything sucks forever and you are doomed of misery" watchmen, but paying attention to how would a world of capes would function and that while some villains are lighthearted show-offs (and have the heroes to match), some are such dangerous murderous psychopaths that Batman would be considered an incompetent shit and somebody would visit town just to put Joker six feet under.
>>
>>44743613
>It seems a bit strange to me since you are supposed to win and be super awesome.
That's EVERYWHERE.
You are supposed to clear out that dungeon and get awesome loot. Otherwise it's game over for both the players and the gm.

The important thing is masking that with danger.

Superhero systems are actually more explicit about it. They specifically put up passages that heroes being defeated is NOT a game over, it's time for them to wake up in cells and start a break-out.
Sometimes even further, into a direct opposite. The villain is specifically noted to escape no matter what, sometimes successfully getting the mcguffin he was after. M&M bribes players into tolerating the railroad with hero point awards so they can beat the guy's face in when the climatic finale comes.

And that all only applies to maximum old-styled comicbooky games. In the gritty games? Stakes are serious. And are easier to make serious without directly killing off the heroes - all those innocent bystanders are very abundant, you know? So people die and the characters gotta deal with it.
>>
>>44747535
Just say no. And that's it. If they make a fuss, give them the boot.
>>
File: Leviathan_Worm.png (647KB, 709x756px) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan_Worm.png
647KB, 709x756px
>>44739065

Mutants & Masterminds 3e seems to be the go-to these days. Overall I like the system, though I think house ruling skill ranks to a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio is pretty much a necessity, otherwise skill-based characters wind up getting incredibly bloated point-wise even if they don't have city-ending powers. On the subject of pictures related, however, it's an absolutely awful choice of system.
>>
>>44739065
fastman is the best man
>>
>>44748237
>On the subject of pictures related, however, it's an absolutely awful choice of system.
You mean giant monsters?

Yeah, the system kinda fails there. Being huge carries a total jack of benefits, everything is still PL capped.
>>
>>44748237
If I was going to run a heavily Worm-inspired game, I'd use the system that the author made specifically for that universe. It's called Weaver Dice.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.