[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System for game in the Cowboy Bebop Universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: spikeface.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spikeface.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
Greetings /tg/, I was thinking about running a game in the cowboy bebop universe after my current game dies horribly (players keep moving to different damn towns.)

Anyway, I was wondering what system might be a good fit for that type of game, they would of course be bounty hunters, and quality gun/martial arts combat rules are a must. I was thinking maybe modding something off the storyteller (WoD) system, they DO have a scifi book I beleive, but I'd like to hear what your guys suggestions are. I feel like there might be a better fit out there which better encapsulates investigation, fast action, dogfighting, chases, and Martial Arts fighting.

Also, do you think Keanu Reeves would have been a good Spike Speigel? Who would your Jet be; Bruce Willis, or Vin Deisal if the former is getting to old? Post Ideal fancast if you wish.
>>
>>44724150
Traveler
There's a system for Firefly
Savage Worlds
>>
>>44724282
Would Traveler work? Whats it like?

I'll check out the Firefly system, We're a bit fatigued with SW right now though, I'm not fond of the shaken mechanic with combat.
>>
>>44724381
Traveler is made for what you're doing. I recommend checking it out first.
>>
>>44724150
Big Eyes Small Mouth 2nd, either Revised or Not as you prefer.
>>
>>44724282

Yeah, first time I watched Bebop I wondered if the creators had been playing Traveller in a custom universe when they came up with it. (We know it was a thing with Joss Whedon and Firefly)
Especially when Faye escapes some missiles by firing off what looks a lot like Traveller's sandcasters.

>>44724381

Traveller is a game where washed up ex-military, ex-criminal, or ex-corporate badasses tool around the galaxy taking odd jobs in the hope of either buying or keeping their rickety spaceship running. It's brutally deadly, rewards cunning and the willingness to ambush a motherfucker, and is all about staving off the end as long as possible.
It's pretty awesome. I prefer the Classic edition, but Mongoose is okay too. (Just watch out for the non-core Mongoose books, some of which are terrible) They're reasonably cross-compatible with each other, though.
>>
>>44724804
Offering another opinion on Classic vs Mongoose, Classic Traveller is *hardcore*. It's not unusual for your PC to die during character creation. Mongoose Traveller is a little bit more forgiving for more casual games.
>>
>>44724150
Tenra Bansho Zero, with some adjustments.
>>
File: nuit sketch 1.png (209KB, 575x972px) Image search: [Google]
nuit sketch 1.png
209KB, 575x972px
>>44724381
Traveller is an RPG system originally published in 1977. I'm currently involved in getting a game going, my character is a Nobleman big game hunter turned mercenary liason with a alien Puma that's as large as a horse, we have a Star Marine who mustered out, a former spy, a scout who picked up piloting skills, and a private detective. We all pitched in to become a crew on a ship mortgaged to the government. I'm looking for a man who swindled me out of 100k in property, they have their own motivations.

the game's technology setting varies wildly it can go from Firefly to OG Star Wars and beyond. There's an entire chart of the various technological levels and lots of random genning table tools for GMs.

Note that the game is notorious for a rather involved Chargen system wherein you roll up your character's pregame life and get the according skills. I personally recommend the mongoose version of the system
>>
>>44724150
A human-only EotE game would work well for this.
>>
>>44724421
>>44724804
>>44725505
>>44725636
Well, I think I'll definitely Have to check Traveller out, seems better than the firefly system, that one looked "eh" We'll take a look at both but I bet that we'll probably go with the more Casual Mongoose version.

Big Eyes Small Mouth is an interesting name... Uh, I'll have to look that one up. -and what is EotE?
>>
>>44725897
Edge of the Empire

a Starwars game focused on Imperial era Roleplaying.
>>
>>44724150
Savage Worlds is pretty solid
>>
ORE
>>
>>44725897

Edge of the Empire; it's the first book of the most recent SW rpg system.

It's really good, and focused on Outer Rim adventures, so smuggling, gambling and bounty hunting are what it's all about.
>>
>>44725897
BESM is named for the anime style of having oversized eyes and undersized mouths. It's a generic anime RPG.

I'll suggest GURPS, because somebody has to, and also because it has a line of Traveller supplements to go with its general ability to handle whatever you poke at it.
>>
>>44724150
FATE
>>
>>44726118
NO
>>
>>44726139
The fuck? Why not?
>>
>>44726203
You know why. Get that shit out of here.
>>
>>44726232
No, I don't. I currently have a Hunter X Hunter game running and it's pretty awesome.
>>
>>44726240
He's upset because you referred to it as FATE. Fred Hicks says that anyone who calls it FATE instead of Fate is not really a part of the FATE community.

So now I call it FATE 4E.
>>
>>44726306
>>44726306
Why should I care what that guy says? I only get the rules to play the game. It's fun.
>>
>>44724150
>Jet
>Vin Diesel

I would watch the fuck out of that.
>>
>>44726325
Only of vin diesel acted like jet and not vin diesel. I'm 99% it would go as well as giving spike over to will smith and expecting anything other than will smith acting will smith in a dark green wig and crappy suit.
>>
>>44724150
>quality gun/martial arts combat rules
GURPS with Martial Arts.
>>
>>44726316
>Why should I care what that guy says?
Because he's the author and owner of EHP! You have to care!

Fuck him, he's a wanker.
>>
File: snap-00106.png (265KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
snap-00106.png
265KB, 720x404px
Look guise,

For 25 years Traveller was the only RPG with any amount of scifi material worth mention. Every author, filmmaker, or producer who has played RPGs knows Traveller, and many use it for inspiration. However, that doesn't make every scifi franchise 'based on Traveller'.

Whedon stated that he played Traveller, and that it has served as an inspiration to Firefly. Is Firefly therefor Traveller? Fuck no! Serenity is though.

>Bebop crunch
Bebop is Noir before anything else. The scifi parts are an afterthought and mostly there to explain the social structure of the setting, maybe serve up some tropy fan service every once in a while.

But the themes are all morality, guilt, and innocence in a Wild West frontier solar system of organized crime. The tone is shades of grey and contrast between light and dark, gritty opportunism, and a very laid back attitude that is sometimes scratched to reveal tense struggle with self.

If you want it meta and have players that can into it, Fate is the game to play. Start with FAE and expand as needed. It is the perfect engine to play overdrawn archetypes with a spin, as long as the players understand story as a cooperative process and not a minmax challenge to be bullied into submission.

But the real game for this is A Dirty World. Now it isn't scifi, it's soul to the pavement Noir. No, not sole. As such it's very 30s detective, think Maltese Falcon. But it is ORE, and ORE is a joy to mod. So it may be a bit of a challenge to fluff Bebop and mod the mechanics to it, but this is the best Bebop RPG I can imagine in the context of the rules available today.

Whatever you use for mechanics, you can still get inspiration from Traveller, Gurps, or D20 Future for all I care. Just make sure your mechanics serve the kind of game you want to play. Nothing kills inspiration faster than structure, and if it isn't made to fit, it will groan to a halt immediately.
>>
File: BOUNTYHEADBEBOP.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
BOUNTYHEADBEBOP.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I found this thing once, forget where though.
>>
>>44726592
been looking everywhere for that shit, thanks.
>>
>>44726501
This is the most long-winded way to plug ORE I've ever seen.
>>
>>44726652
I get verbose when I'm smoking.
I stand by it though.

In A Dirty World your stats are moral, and skills group under them. You can be cunning, or empathic, not both.
>>
>>44726666
>You can be cunning, or empathic, not both.
Normal people can, super-Satan.
>>
>>44726675
Oh, it's you. Sage that then.
>>
>>44726685
What?
>>
>>44726501

Great post, mate.

>Nothing kills inspiration faster than structure

On the fucking money. This is rule 0 for anyone wanting to seriously play in a unique setting. Don't go for the low-hanging fruit, don't be the "we're playing Harry Potter with Pathfinder!" guy.
Focus on something that will serve your core ideas well, and if you can't find it, make it.
>>
>>44724381

Just to make it clear: when he's recommending the Firefly RPG, he is NOT talking about the Serenity RPG, which is a different thing and sucks ass..
>>
>>44726666
you're asking people to mod a gritty noir system for scifi when you could take a scifi system and introduce gritty noir aesthetics.

I might as well take pathfinder and restat it for low magic fantasy.
>>
>>44726889

The point he's making is that Cowboy Bebop isn't Sci-Fi with Noir aesthetics, but the literal oposite of that.
>>
>>44726914
But the original request was to run a game in the Cowboy Bebop universe. That in no way requires it to have the same tone as CB itself.
>>
>>44726932
OP stated he wants to mod WoD, which is a closet supers system. Is CB supers? Are there supers in the CB universe?

ORE started out as supers, too. But it has moved on since. WoD just resolves mortals with gimped supers mechanics.
>>
>>44726968
And what does this have to do with noir?
>>
>>44726932

It most definitely does, because all the original aspects introduced by the series are a take on the Noir/Western genre. Everything else is sci-fi coating.
>>
>>44727010
No it doesn't. I can run a game in the universe of Indiana Jones without it being pulp adventure. I can run a game in the universe of The Maltese Falcon without it being noir. I can run a game in the universe of Star Wars without it being pulp fantasy.

Just because it doesn't resemble the source material in the slightest doesn't mean it doesn't occupy the same universe. After all, Red Faction 1 and Saints Row 3 take place in the same solar system.
>>
>>44724150

I'd recommend GURPS Traveller.

Mongoose are the ones doing things with it at the moment, but GURPS is both a better system, and their Traveller supplements are better written.

For further advice, I'd check out the sjgames forums, as Cowboy Bebop has come up before over there.
>>
They actually released an official bebop book, I forgot the name though, try checking ebay.
>>
>>44727031

The setting of a franchise is absolutely linked to the source material.

Indiana Jones lives in a world in which Nazis are super bad guys looking for supernatural ways to win the war, ruins are filled with traps and magical treasure, and an archeology professor can take out a bunch of armed thugs single-handedly. It is, by definition, a pulp setting. Sure, technically there is the rest of the world, but when someone says "I want to play an Indiana Jones games" they probably don't mean they want to be a depressed real state agent in Bangkok going about his work day, even though one could very much exist in Indy's universe.

OP clearly wants to play a band of outer space bounty hunters in the same vein as the ones we see in CB.
>>
>>44727586
Linked, but not restricted.

>Indiana Jones lives in a world in which Nazis are super bad guys looking for supernatural ways to win the war, ruins are filled with traps and magical treasure, and an archeology professor can take out a bunch of armed thugs single-handedly.
And there are aliens in South America.
>>
You could refluff the Strontium Dog RPG, I guess.
>>44727031
>>44726932
>Anon suggests game that replicates the feel of the setting
>YOU'RE HAVING FUN THE WRONG WAY
Sure thing, champ
>>
>>44724150
Why not bulldogs?
>>
>>44724150
Fate Core would actually work perfectly fine.
>>
>>44729822
If you were to use a setting I'd start with Diaspora.
>>
>>44724150
Feng Shui.
>Spike is a Karate Cop archetype who has more Fu schticks.
>Jet is a Big Bruiser
>Ed is a Techie.
>setting is a non-dystopian future timeline where the Junkers managed to destroy all Feng Shui sites on earth by blowing up the moon, resulting in steady, unpredictable and dangerous rocks falling form the sky.
>>
>>44727161
>GURPS is both a better system, and their Traveller supplements are better written.

I'd take issue with the first part beause I greatly prefer Classic Traveller to GURPS, but the second part is pretty legit. The GURPS Traveller trading system is top notch, and some of the other books are fantastic, too. Sourcebooks have always been a strong point for GURPS.
The Sword Worlds book sucks, though -- turning the Sword Worlds into flat-out East Germany is just taking the Imperium/Zhodani Cold War elements waaay too literally, and is just ruining things.

>>44727719

No way, I saw all three movies and there wasn't anything about aliens.
>>
>>44724150

Shadowrun would probably be best.

Also Keanu Reeves would have been best as Viscous.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.