[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /tg/, tell me about roll20. A friend recommended it for running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: roll20-logo.png (21KB, 550x150px) Image search: [Google]
roll20-logo.png
21KB, 550x150px
So, /tg/, tell me about roll20. A friend recommended it for running games since he lives a state and change to the south of me, and wants to get a group together for me to run for.

Is it good? Is it bad? Is it only for baseline D&D, do I have to write my own rules, or can I just know the rules myself and use it as a board and dice for the rolls they need to make?
>>
>>44717151
>Is it good?
Yes.

>Is it bad?
Yes.

>Is it only for baseline D&D,
No.

>do I have to write my own rules,
No.

>or can I just know the rules myself and use it as a board and dice for the rolls they need to make?
Yes.
>>
>>44717178
>'Yes,' on both good and bad.
Care to elaborate on those? Is it just a case of, "there's some good and bad things about it," or is it just a case of people liking or disliking it based on personal opinion? If it's the former, what's good and bad about it?

It's good to know that I can just know the rules I want to use and use it as a board and dice. Is it harder to use it that way?
>>
>>44717387
It's good because it's the single most convenient way to have a dice rolling engine, a whiteboard, and a miniatures grid all in the same place.

I don't know why somebody would say it's bad.

It doesn't have any rules built into the system, so I don't understand what you're asking. "Knowing the rules and just using it as a board and dice" is literally all the application is designed to do. It doesn't have any rules built in at all. You can roll whatever dice you want, use whatever miniatures you want, and play any game you want.
>>
>>44717387
It's a great way to play TTRPGs online. The player base is generally shit though.
>>
>>44718041
I may have it confused with another program; there was one that had 3d-modeled, physics-enabled dice, a chat system, and that you could download rules packs for that was posted on /tg/ a while back.''

>"Knowing the rules and just using it as a board and dice" is literally all the application is designed to do.

This is comforting. I play 3.x, but I jack with the rules a lot, so even using basic D&D rules could be a chore a chore, As far as why someone would say it's bad, I'm gonna go ahead and say that >>44718079 probably has something to do with it, but that can probably be remedied by bringing your own.
>>
File: my life.jpg (67KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
my life.jpg
67KB, 500x378px
>join game advertised as text only
>it's not text only
>>
It's pretty good though personally me and my group prefer tabletop simulator.
We do 40kRPGs so getting the miniatures and rolling the die for real is better than the 2Dness of Roll20.
>>
>>44718204
>player base is shit
This.
>post game, looking for 5 players
>3.5 rules, core, and a couple supplements only.
>put in the ad 5 times the only allowed books
>get 18 replies
>15 of them want to use some other supplement
>2 want to be ( I shit you not), winged minatours warlocks
>1 guy seemed new, and OK
Ended up doing 8 solo campaign's with him.
That's roll20. 1 out of 20 will be decent people
The other 19, will be that guy, a freak, or a loldum, or a dickhead.
>>
>>44718204
>I may have it confused with another program; there was one that had 3d-modeled, physics-enabled dice, a chat system, and that you could download rules packs for that was posted on /tg/ a while back.''

Pretty sure it's Fantasy Grounds.

Yeah, Roll20 doesn't need rules pack or shit like that. It's up to you to manage the rules.

On the other side it has some cool shit like the possibility to create decks, which is nice if you plan to play SaWo, for initiative, or to plan NPCs with their stats, token and notes in case you forget informations on them.

You even have some nice char sheets if your system is supported.

tl;dr It's a nice website with a simple UI and cool tools.
>>
>>44718929
Oh, yeah, forgot that you can also stream music via soundcloud.
>>
The fact that OP made this thread assures me that yes, some people are so retarded that they can't just visit a website and see what it is, or even google it, they literally only know how to make idiotic threads on /tg/ begging for the stupidest fucking answers in the world.

Holy shit. How do you even function day to day?
>>
>>44717151
Voice chat suuuucks on roll20.
Most other features are good tho.
>>
>>44718904
Honestly, given how hit-and-miss just recruiting players blind from gaming stores or college gaming clubs can be, I'm not surprised. I've never gone looking for a group/players online, but the few times I've tried recruiting random people from my college's gaming club rather than drawing from friends or friends-of-friends, it's been people who lean toward the worse end of the That Guy spectrum. Never tried recruiting through putting up ads at a gaming store, but I've heard plenty of horror stories.

I did meet my current gaming group through my school's gaming club, but I feel like I just got lucky to land in a good group when I was first looking to get into gaming. This hobby is unfortunately full of people who aren't very pleasant to play with, and the internet is only going to bring the worst of them out of the woodwork.
>>
>>44718904
So, what I'm hearing is, "Bring your own players." Makes sense.

>>44718929
>Fantasy Grounds
That was it, yeah.

The deck thing sounds really useful for not having to alt-tab constantly, and also for setting up random encounters, so you don't need to have a table on-hand. Write up some encounters, shuffle them up, draw one, ad-lib a bit.

Sounds good, overall. Thanks.
>>
>>44719099
I admitted it wasn't all bad. I did meet one bro-tier guy. And had some great games with him.
But you get the gist of it.
>>
>>44719152
Holy shit you're literally going to buy FantasyGrounds.

I have no words.
>>
>>44719031
>>44719185
>How do you even function day to day?
Well. I asked on here after googling. Like any other business or service, Roll20 cherry-picks reviews for the good ones. Seeing what it looks like, then asking people who have actually used it about it is just common sense.

>buy FantasyGrounds
No, I'm not. A quick google proved that he was talking about Roll20; Roll20 has decks and rollable tables.

Seriously, it's like an idiot walked into the thread, completely missed the point of doing research on something, and started spewing his idiocy everywhere.

And yet, I know you're shitposting. And I know that, by responding, I'm letting you win. And I don't care.
>>
File: Honestly cant tell.jpg (22KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
Honestly cant tell.jpg
22KB, 527x409px
>>44719031
>Hm, a service for TTRPG players. I wonder if it's any good.
>I could spend many hours trying it to find out, orrrr
>Hey, board of people who have probably already spent many hours on the website and whose overall opinion I trust, what's your take on this website?
That's retarded? Ok, anon.
>>
How should I run a Pokemon Tabletop game on Roll20, /tg/?
How should I run a Pokemon Tabletop game in general?
>>
>>44721601
A lot of people dislike Pokemon Tabletop Adventures/Pokemon Tabletop United nowadays. There is another one, and the people that made it posted it on /tg/ under the name Pokerole. It's pretty good.

Give it a google.
>>
>>44721722
>bringing up dislike of PTA/PTU unprompted
>Pokerole

We get it, you made your own Pokemon roleplay system and are butthurt people don't like it as much as others.
>>
>>44722274
I wasn't even involved in making it, Anon. All I was talking about is the fact that the last couple of times I saw people bring up pokemon on here, PTA/PTU came up pretty quickly after and people weren't happy with it.

Jumping to conclusions, much? Or maybe you helped make PTA/PTU and don't like people shit-talking your game?
>>
>>44722333
My bad. There was a guy on here before who made his own Pokemon system bragging about how it was better than PTA/U. Looking up Pokerole, that doesn't seem to be it.
>>
>>44721722
I read Pokerole, it's complete ass.
>>
>>44722381
damage control
>>
>>44721601
I've run PTA for years using Roll20. My advice is find an outside resource for everything but the board. A Google docs character sheet and encounter generator are a must.

The way I handle the board is I make the board large, like 60x60+, and use the top part as token storage. Essentially a pc token with their Pokemon next to it with everyone getting two rows, one for party and one for PC. The bottom part of the map is for the actual battle map. I usually just free style it using the draw tools but if you aren't a lazy bastard like me you can just upload your own stuff.

PS the PTA/U forums have tokens for all the Pokemon that work perfectly for roll20. Unfortunately I'm on mobile so finding it would be pain but just searching their forums should have the thread pop up.
>>
Roll20 is shit for anything involving cards. I wish I could find a virtual table top that did cards and decks well.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.