[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tactical Battle Maps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 13

File: TruckCamp.png (5MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
TruckCamp.png
5MB, 1920x1200px
The other day I started a thread asking for tactical maps that could work for a STALKER game. While some anon were very helpful, and I thank them, I wasn't seeing exactly what I wanted. So I made my own.

This image and the next two are screenshots taken in the STALKER games by using the demo_record console command, a FOV changer mod (fov set to 15-20), and with some alterations in GIMP.

The grid is mostly there for a reference as these maps are intended for a Savage Worlds game (which primarily uses inches). I did not set the grid to a specific measurement, so printing these or using them in other programs may not produce exact 1" squares.

Anyway, thought you guys might like them!
Also tactical battle maps, general?
>>
File: CargoCamp.png (4MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CargoCamp.png
4MB, 1920x1200px
2/3
>>
File: OpenArea.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
OpenArea.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
3/3
>>
Infinity has some pretty cool rules and advice on how to set terrain for tactical Combat. Though the setup is meant to be in 3D you can easily apply them to a 2D top down view.
>>
Shit is really cool, shame there are hardly any people into table top games that are also liked the STALKER series. The zone is actually the perfect place to run a game for murderhobos
>>
File: Nuclear Bunker brown pb.jpg (550KB, 1085x2232px) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear Bunker brown pb.jpg
550KB, 1085x2232px
Fantastic OP, if you ever take the time to give some more insights on how to make this i'll gladly try.
only thing i could contribute
>>
>>44712058
And how is that at all relevant?
>>
File: 2016-01-10_00001.jpg (463KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-10_00001.jpg
463KB, 1920x1200px
>>44712221
The process to get screenshots like this can be frustrating. But here you go:

All the games use the console command demo_record to enter the closest thing to "noclip" mode. This allows you to position your camera above the area you want to map.

The best FOV to use for each game is 15-20. Or even less. Any more than 20 and you get too much "3d". The way you change FOV differs from game to game.

You'll also want to turn SSAO off completely otherwise you get weird AO issues similar to pic. This only matters for CS and CoP, I think.

For Shadow of Chernobyl you can use "sv_setweather default" to change the weather to a decent setting for this. Use sv_setenvtime to change the time of day. To change the FOV you need to use a hex editor to change an entry in a .dll file. Instructions for this are found here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/4500/discussions/0/620700960626854029/ This is annoying because you will be locked into this FOV from the start.

Clear Sky uses a similar method for changing the FOV found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/360816/clear_sky_fov/
Unfortunately without modding the weather files, changing the weather only works in a multiplayer server. I haven't tried the FOV tweak on a multiplayer server yet, but I have a feeling it won't work. (Cheat protection? Needs testing)

Call of Pripyat actually has a FOV command mod found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/console-controlled-fov
Similar to CS you cannot change the weather in singleplayer without modding the weather files. And even more unfortunately the game instacrashes when you start a multiplayer server with the FOV mod.

I managed to take these screenshots by setting the camera up using the FOV mod in CoP and waiting for a good time of day. Very frustrating.
>>
>>44712829
Con't.

After you get your screenshot you can take it into your GIMP (or whatever). In GIMP you can create a new layer and easily generate a grid using Filter > Render > Pattern > Grid. I use a width of 2 pixels, spaced 50 pixels apart, and messed with the offset to make it (mostly) fit where it needs to be.

The most time consuming part is using the selection or erase tools to remove the grid over large objects and buildings. This isn't necessary, but I like the way it looks.
>>
File: Ruined_Power_Plant_VTT.jpg (1MB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ruined_Power_Plant_VTT.jpg
1MB, 1600x1000px
>>
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php

There are some free maps here. Does anyone want to search the place to see if they can find anything?
>>
File: 1439817116857.png (292KB, 602x634px) Image search: [Google]
1439817116857.png
292KB, 602x634px
>>44711992
>The other day I started a thread asking for tactical maps that could work for a STALKER game.
>>
>>44712829
>>44714256
Thanks again. i'll make sure to use this and report back with some content. Godspeed OP.
>>
>>44714950
What
>>
This is some good shit OP. As I am stuck with high fantasy, I will see if I can copy your idea to use with Skyrim and the like, as that game has similar options with FoV and such.
>>
>>44716324
Same, I was going to try the technique with Morrowind for a UESRPG campaign
>>
File: Winter Feywilds.jpg (2MB, 3500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
Winter Feywilds.jpg
2MB, 3500x3500px
I made this snowy field base for a roll20 D&D game I was running (just added trees and shit on top of it)
>>
>>44717492
Sweet! How'd you make it?

>>44714298
I like this. What is it from?
>>
>>44717619
Messed around in photoshop, I created some brushes that have a nice scatter effect and my layers were basically

top layer of snow texture that was masked so I could just lay in the shapes, gave it a slight drop shadow and inner shadow of a bluish tint to be more like shadows in snow

middle layer of snow texture that was perpendicular to the top so the textures looked different, gave it a inner shadow like above but a darker drop shadow since it would be cast across the earth

earth texture that just sat under the other layers, didn't do anything fancy with it.

the best part is I have this set up so I can just go back in and make a completely different image next time at a fraction of the time cost. I might upload the psd if /tg/ really wants it, all the textures are royalty free too.
>>
File: port_valdez_map_hires.jpg (634KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
port_valdez_map_hires.jpg
634KB, 2048x2048px
>>
>>44712320
>tactical battle maps general
>Advice on terrain is irrelevant.
>>
>>44717744

If you would please, I have very few textures to work with.
>>
File: Cave 42x42 Q1.jpg (1MB, 2940x2940px) Image search: [Google]
Cave 42x42 Q1.jpg
1MB, 2940x2940px
>>44719790
Sure, I'll upload it in a sec, gonna dump this other battle map first

Here's a dry river cave that I made a while back too, one of my first maps. It's 42x42 in terms of D&D tactical maps and the next four pics are going to be posted in Cartesian graph Quadrant numbering ( think of a C and start at the top and circle around )
>>
File: Cave 42x42 Q2.jpg (1MB, 2940x2940px) Image search: [Google]
Cave 42x42 Q2.jpg
1MB, 2940x2940px
Good Job me, Real Quadrant 2
>>
File: cave 42x42 Q3.jpg (1MB, 2940x2940px) Image search: [Google]
cave 42x42 Q3.jpg
1MB, 2940x2940px
Quadrant 3
>>
File: cave 42x42 Q4.jpg (1MB, 2940x2940px) Image search: [Google]
cave 42x42 Q4.jpg
1MB, 2940x2940px
Quadrant 4

And here is the link to the PSD file for my Winter Scenes

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14413168/Permanent%20Links/Winter%20Battlemap%20Base.psd
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.