[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DM needing help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: topkapi_dagger_1746.jpg (19KB, 440x644px) Image search: [Google]
topkapi_dagger_1746.jpg
19KB, 440x644px
So I need some help and advice. I'm an old hand at 3.5 but this isn't really an area I have any experience with. I have a group of new players and I've done some pretty good character development with most of them. But one character in particular, I wanted to give a crisis of conscience/personality. So I want to give this rogue a powerful, evil dagger, that will slowly attempt to take over his personality. .comi think it will be a great test for him, and a great character development. Very similar to the Ring of Tolkiens tale. However, I have no idea what the mechanics of such a temptation would be. Any experience related to such options would be awesome.
>>
>>44705204
Intelligent item rules are as follows for 3.5.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm#itemsAgainstCharacters

I would make the item cursed so it can't be thrown away, gives great bonuses, but whenever it forces a check against the item's ego raise the DC by 1 each time.

Have the player character lose charisma over time if the PC doesn't turn evil. When it reaches 0 the PC becomes an NPC.
>>
That is perfect. Exactly the reference I was hoping for. Thank you sir.
>>
You are not a very good DM.
>>
File: tumblr_nyfpv4StbL1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg (20KB, 746x461px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyfpv4StbL1rrjmgoo1_1280.jpg
20KB, 746x461px
Enchanted weapons thread?
>>
>>44705625
That's some bullshit right there. Upon what do you base this claim?
>>
>>44706245
Reality.
>>
>>44706286
The reality is that I'm a great DM with character-developing story arcs and genuine emotional investment in characters.
>>
>>44706245
You are basically forcing a player to risk changing their character's alignment and even the essentials of their character using an enchanted weapon.

Have you asked the player if he'd be cool with this, or would find it fun? Have you made sure the party can handle things if they go out of what you plan? It might not go like Frodo pushing on despite his temptations and the burden he struggled with, it might end up more like I AM THE DARK LORD OF ALL BOW BEFORE ME BEFORE I BLAST YE TO CINDERS.
>>
File: Ungoliant_and_Melkor_0.jpg (275KB, 1440x787px) Image search: [Google]
Ungoliant_and_Melkor_0.jpg
275KB, 1440x787px
>>44706387
Agreed. We had a similar thing going on in our campaign and the guy totally went full Saruman on our party.
I don't think this is as a good idea as you like to believe, OP.
>>
>>44706245
Turning evil should ultimately be the player's choice, not result of a mechanical effect. Let the dagger give great mechanical bonuses, but only if the character does morally questionable deeds. That way the player can decide if those are worth of being a bad person i.e. a real conflict of morality.
>>
>>44706387
Jesus, you guys really do think I'm a stupid, optimistic moron fresh out the gate. I said I was an old hand at 3.5. Of course I discussed this with the character first. I discussed eventual fate and whether he was comfortable being tempted to do some dark shit. Just because I didn't explicitly state that it was agreed to by the player, you assumed I was railroading? Fuck, /tg/, what happened to you?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.