[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yomi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (111KB, 610x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 610x400px
Anyone have it? Is it any good? The theme appeals to me, but it seems like it could just be expensive Rock Paper Scissors.
>>
>>44699673
The core IS rock-paper-scissors, but additional mechanics and introduction of the concept of different payoffs make the game deeper than that. It's really good if both players know what they're doing.
>>
If you still want to play 2D fightan gaems, you could always get BattleCON.
>>
I have the online version, and I like it a lot, but then I'm super into fighting games.
>>
>>44699673

It seems overpriced and David Sirlin is a douchebag so I've never really looked into it. There are a lot of card games out there, >>44701576 for example is very cool and isn't made by a plagiarizing asshole. Unless you really, really want to play advance RPS for some reason I'd steer clear of it.
>>
>>44701714
BattleCON doesn't emphasize RPS like YOMI does. In this game, you're on a 2D plane and creating your own special attacks as you go back and forth. The game is all about spacing and playing to your character's strengths, in a game where every character plays wildly differently.
>>
>>44701761

Yeah, I know. I was seconding that it's a great game.
>>
>>44701714
>>44701761
BattleCON is MvC, Yomi is ST.

You can play Yomi online anyway (free even IIRC), so you could just, you know, go ahead and try.
>>
File: 1451494808890.jpg (12KB, 264x330px) Image search: [Google]
1451494808890.jpg
12KB, 264x330px
>>44702331
>BattleCON
>Mahvel
?
>>
>>44702369
Terrible inter-character balance, everyone broken in their own way, but still fun.
>>
>>44702392
It's true that every character has one or two defining gimmicks that fundamentally changes how they play, on top of their unique cards to create attacks. I wouldn't call them broken, but they're all unique from each other.
>>
>>44702331
No. BattleCON is Street Fighter. Yomi is Guilty Gear.
>>
>>44699673
I LOVE THIS GAME

THERE'S A BIT MORE TO IT THAN ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS

MY FRIENDS HATE IT BECAUSE I ALWAYS BEAT THEM AT IT

I NEVER GET TO PLAY THIS GAME
>>
>>44699673
Its pretty good. I helped balancing wayyyy back in the day and played in tournaments, I enjoy it still.

Don't listen to >>44701714 , for some reason Sirlin has a group of people who attack him whenever someone posts about his games, its pretty weird
>>
>>44701714
BattleCON is not really tuned for high level play, and the players will tell you as much. They post stuff like "It's fun to figure out a matchup, but after that it gets boring, and it's good that we have thousands of other matchups to try!"

Imagine if one game was actually like a million games, each about as strategically deep as tic-tac-toe, but different enough that you have to solve them one by one. Would that be a good game?
>>
>>44699673
I like this game. I am a top player of one particular character, so I "could get the part of the game I need for $10," but I got the whole set so I can play with other people who don't own any characters using whatever character they want.

It's way cheaper if you play online though, and there's some pretty fierce competition there.
>>
>>44704589
Because Sirlin has a bit of a complex to him.
>>
Yomi is a great game IMO, definitely recommended. BattleCON does a similar thing but with a very different feel and overall design focus - Yomi is better for depth/balance, while BattleCON offers more variety but doesn't hold up as well in advanced play.
>>
>>44704589

Because he's a thief and people don't like thieves, it's not really that complicated. Thrown in a healthy dose of arrogance and price gouging and it shouldn't really be difficult to see why people might hate him.
>>
>>44707875
What did he steal?
>>
>>44702331
>You can play Yomi online anyway (free even IIRC)
Where can you play it free? There's a version on Steam, but that costs like 15 bucks.
>>
>>44708852
Not him, but I'd also like to know what he stole.
>>
>>44709031
Google "Fantasy Strike". Sirlin has a site that has both Yomi and Puzzle Strike available in browser versions.
>>
>>44709133
Thank you.

What does the Steam version do special, to make it worth getting? Especially since it apparently has a DLC, the same price as the base game.
>>
>>44709291
I _think_ that the Steam version has all the (non-DLC) characters available, the browser version has the free ones on rotation.
>>
>>44708852
>>44709060
He used mechanics from a Reiner Knizia game for Flash Duel, attributed Knizia, got sued by Knizia for it, removed the attribution so as not to be sue-able, and people got mad.

He also based Puzzle Strike on Dominion, and people got super butthurt that he borrowed a mechanic from another game.
>>
>>44709926
Here, also following up on >>44707875

He has said some shitty things on his forums, but people love to shout "price gouging!" when he comes out with new, more balanced editions of his games, and for charging ~$10 (iirc) per Yomi character deck.
>>
>>44709968
>>44709926
>>44709926
Oh. I actually knew about those. Seems like a bit of an overreaction then.
>>
Let's re-rail this.

Who is your favorite character (art or play store) and why is Persephone THE GODDAMN WORST
>>
>>44711830
Because Sirlin just HAD to put his fetish in the game, and it HAD to be something shit tier like femdom.

BTW, Geiger a best.
>>
>>44712095
Did you also complain when SF4 added Juri and Poison, when Cammy grabbed people with her crotch, or when Sakura was a walking high schooler fetish for like decades now?
>>
File: sister.png (211KB, 598x216px) Image search: [Google]
sister.png
211KB, 598x216px
>>44711830
There are only 3 sisters in the game. Gotta pick one of those right.
>>
>>44712823
Yes.

Actually, no. Because those are not shit tier fetishes, like femdom.
I'm also joking.
Actually, I could go ahead and justify those as being at least partially about something else: Juri is a sadist, which isn't inherently sexual, putting people into leg locks necessitates that they get locked between, ya know, your legs, Sakura is more joke than fetish and Poison... you got a point with Poison. Meanwhile Persephone is very obviously either his closet perversion, or at the very least some kind of philosophical agenda Sirlin is pushing. You don't have to trust me on this, but I have been on the forums since before Yomi came out, and Sirlin, when it isn't about twiddling with game balance, is about as subtle as a hammer. Dig up posts of him talking about the story for the FS universe if you don't believe me, see if you can find where he talks about Perse. It's some original Wonder Woman tier shit.
>>
>>44713077
I do wish he was a bit more subtle, so that his games could be more successful.
>>
>>44713269
He's his own worst enemy.
Which is ironic, because that's a very good definition of scrub mentality.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.