[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Should I play?
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
I am a casual gamer, possible a little more than casual. I play board games, MtG, thinking of playing Weiss Schwarz, and what not. Now the one game I'm hesitant to try is D&D. I hear so much and want to play it but have no one to actually play with. I know there is a game shop a few miles from my home and I am considering going. So long story short, should I try playing D&D and a reason why.
>>
>>44688067
You should try. The thing is, D&D is one of the most social games. Asking to play with a group can put a strain on the party, and a group which meets at the game store likely has some amount of sway with the managers there. Ask if you can sit in on a few sessions. Maybe see if you can play a page or apprentice character, someone who helps a PC dress in their armor, passes off potions and so on.
>>
>>44688067
Yes, because if you done like it you don't have to play again. I really don't understand why you would be hesitant
>>
If you have to ask, the answer is probably "no". If you really want to play, you'd do it.
>>
Avoid 3.5 and Pathfinder and you should be alright.
>>
>>44688110
Well, I want to be careful with my spending, I don't want to spend money that I could be using for another game. That and as I said I don't have a large D&D social group nearby besides the one a few miles from my town.
>>
>>44688156
Don't buy the books then. Everything possible is available online/people you play with will normally be more than willing to share/lend out books. it can be one of the least costing hobbies
>>
>>44688156
>>44688216
Even more so, you can get pretty much everything you need for pretty much every edition for free legally. There's retroclones for pretty much every past edition, 3.X/PF are available via the OGL and various SRD sites, and 5e has free-to-download basic rules.

You can easily play D&D for the cost of a pencil, some paper, and a set of dice.
>>
>>44688067
Outside of the initial cost of your own set of dice(which is strongly recommended) $8-15 for 7 piece set. your start up costs are next to nothing. If you have an iOS or android device there are a half dozen or so apps for the various versions of D&D you can download to assist you.
>>
Honestly, I'd only really recommend playing your first game of D&D with friends you already know.
>>
>>44688156
D&D and rpgs in general are probably the smallest money sink compared to other games because honestly the only thing you need is the core rulebook (rule books if you're a D&D dm) for said system and you're pretty much good to go. You never have to buy anything again unless a new edition comes up or if you're some sort of idiot impulse buyer that, for some reason, needs to have all the bullshit supplement rules people sling.
>>
>>44688067
>>44688156
Go find a game on the /tg/ gamefinder thread. Find a game with an experienced GM willing to teach people how to muddle through a game.

D&D is good for "My first dice game" but it really isn't that good. What sorts of things are you into? Space? Cowboys? Knights? Cyborg Battle Nuns?
>>
>>44690317
>D&D is for babby
I disagree, at least partially.

It is true that D&D is not the be-all and end-all of gaming. Depending on your preference, there are tons of other games out there that might suit you better than D&D, and exploring to find your preferred system is good. If you find that you like something better, that's great. Finding that you like D&D better than anything else you try, though, isn't wrong either. And realistically, if you're looking to join an existing group (like the OP), chances are they're going to be playing D&D of some sort.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Thread DB ID: 397087

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.