[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I am a casual gamer, possible a little more than casual. I play board games, MtG, thinking of playing Weiss Schwarz, and what not. Now the one game I'm hesitant to try is D&D. I hear so much and want to play it but have no one to actually play with. I know there is a game shop a few miles from my home and I am considering going. So long story short, should I try playing D&D and a reason why.
>>
>>44688067
You should try. The thing is, D&D is one of the most social games. Asking to play with a group can put a strain on the party, and a group which meets at the game store likely has some amount of sway with the managers there. Ask if you can sit in on a few sessions. Maybe see if you can play a page or apprentice character, someone who helps a PC dress in their armor, passes off potions and so on.
>>
>>44688067
Yes, because if you done like it you don't have to play again. I really don't understand why you would be hesitant
>>
If you have to ask, the answer is probably "no". If you really want to play, you'd do it.
>>
Avoid 3.5 and Pathfinder and you should be alright.
>>
>>44688110
Well, I want to be careful with my spending, I don't want to spend money that I could be using for another game. That and as I said I don't have a large D&D social group nearby besides the one a few miles from my town.
>>
>>44688156
Don't buy the books then. Everything possible is available online/people you play with will normally be more than willing to share/lend out books. it can be one of the least costing hobbies
>>
>>44688156
>>44688216
Even more so, you can get pretty much everything you need for pretty much every edition for free legally. There's retroclones for pretty much every past edition, 3.X/PF are available via the OGL and various SRD sites, and 5e has free-to-download basic rules.

You can easily play D&D for the cost of a pencil, some paper, and a set of dice.
>>
>>44688067
Outside of the initial cost of your own set of dice(which is strongly recommended) $8-15 for 7 piece set. your start up costs are next to nothing. If you have an iOS or android device there are a half dozen or so apps for the various versions of D&D you can download to assist you.
>>
Honestly, I'd only really recommend playing your first game of D&D with friends you already know.
>>
>>44688156
D&D and rpgs in general are probably the smallest money sink compared to other games because honestly the only thing you need is the core rulebook (rule books if you're a D&D dm) for said system and you're pretty much good to go. You never have to buy anything again unless a new edition comes up or if you're some sort of idiot impulse buyer that, for some reason, needs to have all the bullshit supplement rules people sling.
>>
>>44688067
>>44688156
Go find a game on the /tg/ gamefinder thread. Find a game with an experienced GM willing to teach people how to muddle through a game.

D&D is good for "My first dice game" but it really isn't that good. What sorts of things are you into? Space? Cowboys? Knights? Cyborg Battle Nuns?
>>
>>44690317
>D&D is for babby
I disagree, at least partially.

It is true that D&D is not the be-all and end-all of gaming. Depending on your preference, there are tons of other games out there that might suit you better than D&D, and exploring to find your preferred system is good. If you find that you like something better, that's great. Finding that you like D&D better than anything else you try, though, isn't wrong either. And realistically, if you're looking to join an existing group (like the OP), chances are they're going to be playing D&D of some sort.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.