[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weekend Quest Discussion Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 373
Thread images: 29

File: 1452282524537.png (11KB, 365x464px) Image search: [Google]
1452282524537.png
11KB, 365x464px
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/b5cN2RkK
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

> QM question
From what sources do you draw inspiration for the villains/BBEGs in your quests? How much forethought is there put into how they will affect the player character and the world at large?

> Player question
Best antagonists?

> Bonus question
Why aren't you running yet? Why do you keep putting it off?
>>
PBQ.
>>
>>44671265
>Bonus question

Because I get paranoid about my quality, speed, and accuracy and want to make the first update post as perfect as possible, so I keep setting the next date a long time away.
>>
File: NOX.jpg (19KB, 315x416px) Image search: [Google]
NOX.jpg
19KB, 315x416px
>>44671265
>Best antagonists?
Sorry for not being quest-related, but this is just goddamn obligatory.
>>
File: 1443210952084.jpg (23KB, 227x262px) Image search: [Google]
1443210952084.jpg
23KB, 227x262px
>From what sources do you draw inspiration for the villains/BBEGs in your quests? How much forethought is there put into how they will affect the player character and the world at large?

From the bees of course. Cordelia, the Beelicious Queen of the Deathbees Hive is the BBEG of my Quest.

>Why aren't you running yet? Why do you keep putting it off?

I want to run a 'Dark Times' era Star Wars quest that follows a Seperatist General refuse to surrender and on the run with his frigate. Sort of like imagine similar to Thrawn and his efforts of building a navy, surviving, hit and run, capturing resources etc. I haven't started yet cos I am already running the Hogwarts Interbellum quest.
>>
File: 1qtg.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1qtg.png
2MB, 1024x768px
>>44671265

1. I have no writing ability.
2. Nobody likes my premises.
3. The audience here is toxic.
>>
File: 1451619409011.png (68KB, 255x205px) Image search: [Google]
1451619409011.png
68KB, 255x205px
>>44671265
I've run a quest before with 15+ players, but I'm not sure I can keep up the resolve to run a long-term quest again and my ADD makes me switch interest between two quest settings day out and day in.
>>
>>44671265
>Best antagonists?
The ones not in direct opposition. Sure the guy rubs people the wrong way, but he's focused on more important things that have nothing to do with you feelings.
>>
Favorite currently running quest so far?
Least favorite?
>>
>>44672066
>Least favorite?
Fuck off with the shitposting bait.
>>
>>44672066
Quest you hate
Quest you like
>>
>>44672066
>Favorite currently running quest so far?
I can only think that there are some small things that I'd hate to exacerbate by mentioning it
>>
File: verdict day.jpg (603KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
verdict day.jpg
603KB, 2560x1600px
>>44671265

Because I'm afraid it'll suck shit, and having others bash it will only make me want to run it less. I want to create a quest that's pretty much a fusion of Verdict Day and For Answer, with a little bit of outside interference thrown in.

Idea is that Humans went MAD in the 23rd Century, after the advent of mechs and a massive shift in power away from governments to a few megacorporations. With the world already facing severe climate changes and food shortages from an unsustainable large population, most of the population was wiped out in the following two hundred years. Those who have survived until now are either Normals, Nexts, or Post-Human, with players choosing which one they'd play.

-Normals are baseline, with no genetic degeneration or mutations
-Nexts are Humans who have developed neurological mutations, giving them psychic abilities and are better adapted to Earth. This gives them better tolerances and reaction times, though they will naturally go insane over time from constant brain fluctuations, overuse of their psychic abilities has the chance of outright frying their brains.
-Post-Humans are those who have forsaken their mortal forms to become cybernetic intelligences. They have the ability to directly interface with mechs, granting them (usually) unrivaled control over their machines.

Which would lead to the present, with Earth as a poisoned and radioactive wasteland, the industrial warmachine still geared towards driving constantly warring city-states, and where the last bastions of man are being assaulted from something beyond the stars. Players would take on the role of a fledging, unaligned mech-merc in a world out to destroy them without mercy.
>>
>>44672356
>chargen
>hypergranular customizaton and micromanagement

You have to be JQOP or Fall Guy for the quest to survive such mechanics.
>>
>>44672496
The only chargen would be which kind of Human you are, though I suppose I could solve that myself with a coinflip.

>hypergranular customizaton and micromanagement
I don't how I could streamline it, but I was thinking that people are coming mainly for the battles, not the micromanagement. Having situational weapons/parts become available from contractors when necessary seems like it might offset the biggest issue of choosing shit you don't need when you don't need it.

I imagine it'll be insanely difficult, but even with some hiccups at first, I think I could handle it in time. And I'm not one to overestimate myself.
>>
What is the optimal amount of posts before a quest thread should end?
>>
>>44672732
Depends on the quest, but I think hitting the double digits is the bare you should hope for.
>>
I've been fancying the idea of two different quests.

>Fantasy Dreadnought Quest - Inspired by the story of Bjorn
You are Gorgotz Ironfist. You were one of the toughest bastards in your time. Many songs were sang after you exploits, stories of great heroism. The clan you raised an collected from nothing soared high in the fields of glory. However all those who live by the blade, usually die by the blade.
That's what almost happened to you, but for some reason you can't quite remember, you didn't want to die after you recieved a crippling injury. You have been placed in a hulking metal golem, created by the strongest magic, and under the keep of you clan you've been placed, waiting for a time when you could take a fitting doom.
Every fifty year you have been awakened, to impart you wisdom to the new generation of warriors.

However this time you woke up by yourself quite relaxed. Turns out a you have been asleep for over 200 years. Approx. 100 years ago there was a great war, which was underestimated at first.
Causing your warriors to move out, and meet the foe without waking you. They got slaughtered to the last men. The women and children fled, the fort fell into disuse, the armoury emptied, the rest fell to scavangers.
The war passed, and the survivors, and refugees rebuilt some of the settlements in the nearby caves, but no one ever returned to the keep. They live as scavaners now, not knowing how to read the ancient text (your text!), abandoning the ways of the warrior.

This shit cannot stand! Time to take matters into your tonne-heavy hands, and teach these stupid fuckers that there are better ways to live than living off on underground mushrooms, and taking shit from goblins.
>>
>Another magical girl quest

YES!

>It's Grim-edge

No..
>>
>>44672837
Which one?
>>
A little quest idea I have.

Year 20xx. London, England.
Over the years, a new bacteria has been spreading through the population that targets both males and females. The bacteria doesn't make you ill nor does it have any side-effects to your own body or psyche. So far it's been untraceable by modern medical technology. However, off-springs of those infected with this bacteria are born with symbiotic parasites developed from the bacteria within their mothers or passed onto their mothers from their fathers through sexual intercourse.

The Parasite develops at the same pace as its host and eventually gains a sentient mind between the host's puberty and its early adulthood (Early 20's). When it inevitably gains a will of its own, it always tries to take control of its Host, turning what had once been considered a Human being into a blood-thirsty predator that hunts humans. There's two kinds of Parasitic predators; the Red ones who have lost their mind to the parasite, and black ones who have either successfully kept the parasite under control or reached an understanding with it. These 'people' can shift between their human forms and their parasitic forms.

The MC is a High school/Uni student and the first Red one that has ever successfully been able to regain control of his mind again after his parasite took over for a brief moment.
Now he must learn to survive in a world where humans hate his kind and other parasitic predators either wants him dead or wants to capture and study him. He must overcome the psychological obstacle of feeding on human flesh to survive, and try to preserve his life as a student while trying to understand all the aspects of his new role in this world.
>>
>>44672864
>a new bacteria has been spreading through the population that targets both males and females
>targets both males and females

Sounds like the premise for an Akun smut quest where the uninfected are all traps and futas.
>>
>>44672952
I can assure you that's not the case.
>>
>>44672864
That sounds cool, but where would it develop/end? This sounds like a story that could go on till the MC hits 80 and dies in a nursing home. That is if the parasite doesn't lengthen lifespan.
>>
>>44672997
That's definitely something I'll have to think about. The end-goal could be to get full control of the parasite and finding your part in the world of parasitic predators?

The parasite would probably lengthen the lifespan of its host as much as possible. It also acts as a symbiosis in that regard. When you die, it dies as well.
>>
>>44672864
Sounds a lot like GraveQM's Red Throat Ghouls and the sentient Red Rot bacteria that empowered/controlled them
>>
>>44673137
Oh really? Never read any quests by GraveQM. Neat.
>>
>>44671265

When I only had to deal with school, running was easy. When I now work a 48 hours a week desk job I don't even want to be near the computer when I'm home.

Is there anyone with a full time job that QMs successfully? I don't see how you can plan and have the energy to QM on your 1-2 free days, said free days where you also might have to visit family and friends, do the house chores, go shopping, etc other errands.
>>
>>44673208
Quest Drone used to do that, RIP.
>>
>>44673180
well it was back when he was JyotiCM I think
>>
>>44673395
Hm, you did remind me that I should name the bacteria, so thanks, mate.
>>
>>44671265
>Sources for BBEGs
Metal Album covers, music, and video games provide good inspiration for raw aesthetic and personality. As for impact, they're the reason the main character, or most characters in the quest, does anything at all.

>Bonus question
I am.
>>
What are the keys to having a good Quest anons?
Storytelling?
Good players?
Waifus
>>
>>44673208
>Is there anyone with a full time job that QMs successfully?
I've done it for the last two years (barring the recent few months but I'm back now). It's hard and often requires scheduling life around your QMing as you'll need to set aside at least one day of your weekend. Timezones also matter a lot, running late at night wouldn't work if you need to be at work at a reasonable hour and productive.

Also, I sometimes put off sessions where I was burnt out from a week of work (or had other events on all weekend) but those didn't occur too often.
>>
>>44672864
>red ones are crazy
>black ones are in control

>you are a red one that isn't crazy
Whatta fuck man? Why aren't we just black like everyone else?
>>
>>44673832
Probably so that the MC needs to be careful and not just whip it out whenever because otherwise everyone will think he's just a monster.

Or so that he's *~*~*~special~*~*~*.

One or the other.
>>
>>44673832
Makes it more interesting in my opinion. Having the MC be a black one works too of course, but I prefer the plot opportunities and character interactions a Red one who hasn't gone insane could present. Also gives room for character growth alongside a more rebellious and cruel parasite.
>>
Holy hell that was annoying.

Setting up thread, long delay means late night run if people are up for it
>>
>>44671265
http://peek.usertesting.com/result/17430141538397?autoplay=true

Hilarity half way in.
>>
I have a concept for a quest, or rather for a series of possible quests. The main character would be a person whom fights in alternate worlds WW1 and receives a injury, stopping him from continuing service.

At this point TG would choose the characters background; His family, his interests and profession before deciding the project they would under take to assist the war effort.

The MC could create tanks or planes or other such equipment to help, maybe their background would tie into which they choose, I am uncertain at this point and that is where you come in.

(cont)
>>
File: deathamongthestarsquest.gif (41KB, 190x223px) Image search: [Google]
deathamongthestarsquest.gif
41KB, 190x223px
>>44674797
And it's up!
>>44675582
>>
>>44675517
What direction would the quest go, should stats be abstracted, what kinds of things should be available in the back-story to choose from, can such a quest be ran effectively?

The stats for a tank or other such projects could probably be dealt with via abstraction to a grading system of "abysmal" to "perfect" or using a modified version of some pre-existing system but i have no idea what.
>>
>>44675517
>>44675631

I just need to tell you know that Robert Heinlein did this already and it wasn't that bad. You just won't be able to live up to that standard.
>>
>>44675758
I know that but we must always strive to be great or else we are nothing. This is easier to do than beating an athletic record
>>
>>44675517
>The main character would be a person whom fights in alternate worlds WW1 and receives a injury, stopping him from continuing service.

Can you rephrase the premise of your quest, to clarify?
>>
>>44672066
I discovered Azure Quest this week, it's quickly become my favorite new quest. Alternates well between action and comfy.

>>44672864
Sounds like the setup for a shounen manga. Is his childhood friend a black predator, and the MC gets into awkward situations trying to hide his transformations from her during the early story arcs before she learns of his true nature?
Poking fun aside, it could be interesting. Seems potentially combat-heavy though, which is a personal negative for me. Still, good luck with it!
>>
I'm just the worst, a weaboo faggot and a gun nerd and a QM. Literally worse than Hitler

>>44675876
>>
>>44676147
I've been waiting for this all week thanks anon
>>
>>44676170
I goofed and thought I had time on Tuesday, when it turned out to be significantly busier.
>>
>>44675891
They are conscripted to fight in the war and during the fighting are injured somehow, the result being them unable to fight but since they still want to help their friends out in the field or are patriotic, decide to make something to help them.
>>
>>44676413
That's not really a quest premise. That's like, a half-page short story or something. Even TV guide listings give more detail.
>>
>>44676547
Nah, it's fine as a premise. It just lacks much of a hook to get people interested, is all.
>>
>>44676600
Which is the entire point of pitching a premise.
>>
>>44676600
There lies the problem; I have never ran a quest and have no real skill here, honestly I decided to put the idea out there in case someone more experienced would take it further than I ever could
>>
>>44676647
But I still don't know what the idea is.

Injured man makes something for a war effort.

This could be anything from a mash of Iron Man and Captain America to a Huey Emmerich Quest or anything in between. It could be literally any genera, style, or tone imaginable. I don't even know enough to give you feedback on it.
>>
Is there still any love for Last Exile? How about a quest that's a bit like the premise of the setting?
>>
>>44676744
Like Iron Brigade?

Guy stuck in a wheelchair makes MAD SCIENCE to fight a war?
>>
>>44676766
I was thinking along the lines of the old quest about mechwarrior, where in the MC deigned mechs and via rolls could give it particular features.

I'll find a link.

Honestly if you want to take it in the direction of super-science then that is fine by me. Honestly thinking about it i doubt that I'd be able to run it well for long.
>>
>>44676902
Found it

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=MechEngineer%20Quest
>>
>>44676948
rip ip
>>
>>44673300
uuugggghhh don't remind me.
>>
>>44593284
>>
What do you guys think of using 1d4chan or something to store quest information and possibly reviews and such? Do you think the guy who runs it would be fine with something like that?
>>
>>44678538
I'm pretty sure a quest already does that. A.I. or Hive Queen or one of those spreadsheet as fuck ones.
>>
>>44678538
Expect resistance and sperg from the anti-quest brigade.
>>
I was expecting something titled Naruto Sniper Quest to be more cringeworthy than it actually is
>>
File: orcbouncertitle.png (305KB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
orcbouncertitle.png
305KB, 640x356px
Shamelessly plugging Orc Bouncer Quest since I never get a chance to advertise on the weekends. Also cuz it's a good time.

>>44671546
>>
>>44676147
>Naruto sniper

I DONT UNDERSTAND
>>
>>44679356
OwTheEdge.jpg

But I do have a pretty cool backstory to explain, but I'd rather introduce that organically. I will say that, at least in my vision, black powder guns exist as something of a novelty
>>
https://anonkun.com/stories/my-life-with-a-serial-killer/yYk3TBPa8EfCXRo6q/home
>>
>>44679711
what the hell is wrong with Anonkun?
>>
>>44679792
They just do whatever they feel like.
>>
>>44679792
>why is this toilet filled with shit?
>>
>>44679792
When smut quests were banned from /tg/, the smutposters got together with other smutposters and discussed what they wanted to see more of. Cue LISA-esque mutation of questing.
>>
>>44679792
I haven't seen much there that I wouldn't expect people from here to come up with too(which makes perfect sense since the userbase is from here)

It just ends up on Akun because apparently according to mods it's too hardcore for 4chan.
>>
>>44680006
akun has become its own horrifying entity.
>>
How does set the right DC ( out of a 100) is the roller very random or lean toward the high end numbers ?
>>
>>44679792
Some off the stuff on there is quite icky desu. Plus it's generally hard for me to find something I like that last more than two sessions. Though more and more the same can be said here I guess.
>>
>>44680079
It does not horrify me at all though.

All I see is /tg/ after they've loosened their tie.
>>
>>44680108
So I'm not the only one that feels finding ANYTHING on Akun is a fucking disaster and that a standard catalog with active quests would yield better results?
>>
>>44680142
You're projecting your own fetishes on the rest of /tg/
>>
>>44680189
The only quest I read over there right now was on /tg/ for like 2 years anon.
>>
>>44680209
I'm talking about anonkun as a whole, not the single quest you're assuming I know about
>>
>>44680238
You mentioned me projecting my fetishes and the only quest I enjoy(and thus would contain my fetishes) was something /tg/ also enjoyed for 2 years.

I was presenting evidence to counter your statement.
>>
>>44680175
No not at all. But after a certain amount of time I have found it easier to keep track of the things I do enjoy. Like growing up in a warzone you quickly find out where the mines our.
>>
>>44680079
At least it isn't Spacebattles
>>
>>44680512
reeee
>>
File: 1434675421305.jpg (134KB, 498x477px) Image search: [Google]
1434675421305.jpg
134KB, 498x477px
>>44671265
>Bonus question
I need to get my life in order.
Pic related.
>>
>>44680613
>the pepsi cans say homo
>>
>>44680571
>he """"likes"""" Spacebattles
>>
Is it worth running a nonsmut and nondrama quest on akun, then?

I just want goofy sci-fi fun.
>>
>>44680921
It'll need genderbending or some shit like that if you actually want players.
>>
>>44680921
Probably yeah.

Akun definitely has certain trends and popular subjects but I've noticed quests outside of them have a pretty good chance of surviving thanks to just how all over the place the community is.
>>
>>44680921

Be prepared to ignore detractors who want to change your quest into something it's not until all the people who aren't into goofy sci-fi fun leave.

Run it consistently and write something even moderately interesting and you'll have plenty of players.
>>
What does spooky even do anyway other than being a bunch of bitter shitposters? Didn't they raid /wst/?
>>
>>44681186
Nah, that was just one guy.
>>
I just go done watching the new mission impossible movie. It was like Mission Impossible: The Quest: The Movie with how Hunt kept insisting that the Spyfu was on his side even after she demonstrated otherwise at least twice.
>>
Don't die on me!
>>
Historical Fiction

I summon ye!
>>
>>44680189
Literally all of /tg/ does that
>>
File: Scholomance in a Nutshell.png (15KB, 180x209px) Image search: [Google]
Scholomance in a Nutshell.png
15KB, 180x209px
>>44671265

Could I get added to the twitter directory? I'm koh, and run Scholomance Quest over on Anonkun. My twitter is @KoH_QM

For those of you who haven't yet seen it, Scholomance Quest is set in the Scholomance that /tg/ developed back in 2011 and that was used by Blatant Fetish Quest in 2013. The protagonist is Max Benson, a boy of no discernible talents who is struggling to survive in the cutthroat environment of a magical murder academy. Typically runs Tuesdays and Saturdays; next session is the 12th at 1700 EST. Link to quest:

https://anonkun.com/stories/scholomance-questbr/qPBxReghjne6hRqC7/home )

>QM Question
Mostly villains are based on players from my real life RPGs. I've been a Forever!DM for almost a decade, and my playgroup is consistently Neutral Evil. It gives me a lot of material to work with. It also encourages me to make the villain more than just a villain - I know the guy who played that character, so it's easier for me to get in their head.
>>
>>44684842

Also I fucked up my tripcode in that post. Man, and I went to all the work of making sure it matched my name.
>>
>>44676125
That parasite guy here. Yeah, I can agree that it looks very combat-heavy, though I'm aiming for a more psychological-horror feel next to combat, but understand what you're getting at.
>>
File: pH6LkTi.png (96KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
pH6LkTi.png
96KB, 2560x1440px
>>44671265
In my fallout quest, there is no BBEG. Everyone tries to survives. Most people are right in their own way.

In Livendagen, I haven't decided yet, but it will come from Mythos. The BBEG's actions might be justified since the PC fucked up everything in the past.

In XCOM,Well, It is something else. We are dealing with two separate forces, The Advent who are a puppet organization for the true alien overlords. The BBEG isn't the main focus of the campaign.

I need a small advice.

Like i said before, I am running an XCOM quest which is in a way an alternative start of XCOM 2. It is a hybrid quest where we control both the commander and a foot solider. This whole thread is experimental to me, it is bound to have mistakes so:

How to handle the difficulty curve? We are a small guerrilla force fighting a superior force with full control over earth.

For those how are familiar with Long war from XCOM: EW,do you think it is for the best to implement some of its elements in the quest?

Is implementing Loss opportunities a good thing? for an example, you have x,y,z. You chose X which gave you certain edge in the fight but Y and Z were lost for good.

Should i focus on more interactions between the soldiers/Commander and his officers?

The tactics in the field has been simple so far, should i make it a bit more complicated? (designated movements for every soldier, more detailed maps....etc)

Base Management is in important part in the quest, how should i handle it correctly?

Should i stick into the main game parameters, go wild or something in between? I implemented few subtitle things but after a certain mission, I am not so sure about it.

So yeah, any reply should be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>44685826
Just run it and figure out what to chuck.
>>
>>44685826
Nobody knows the answers. XCOM quests are infamous for all crashing and burning and the (probably) most successful to date is the quest that only took place in the setting but wasn't really XCOM at all. And that didn't last long either. So just do whatever seems right because fuck knows you can only exceed expectations at this point.

Good luck, commander.
>>
>>44685988
>>44686113
thank you anons.
>>
>>44686169
I honestly wish I could offer better advice but after running a couple quests myself I've given up on extensive in-depth mechanics and any sort of systems that spiral forth from them. I've chucked quite much indeed.

At least for me the simpler it is the more I can focus on why choices can matter, everything else is an accessory mechanic to the player factor and if stuff doesn't engage the people I want or presents an unnecessary drag during interim prep or writing then gone it goes, too troublesome for me. Substitute it with simpler ideas and easy to absorb dice.

Luck be with you in any case.
>>
>>44672066
Crusader quest. A rare case of convincing narrative and none of that reveling in power or waifu shit circlejerking.
>>
>>44686321
>Cucksader Quest
>no [...] waifu shit circlejerking
HAHAHAH
>>
>>44686331
.....well there are Waifu's it's just that they aren't the focus point of literally every single action the players do
>>
>>44686351
Let me laugh even harder.
>>
>>44686321
yup, the questing scene is indeed full of people who jerk it to seeing their waifu getting raped.
>>
>>44686351
>Waifu's
>capitalization AND apostrophe
....why would you go the extra mile to write something wrong?
>>
>>44686351
Keep talking anon, I want to see how deep of a hole you can dig yourself.
>>
>>44686371
>waifu
>raped

different character
>>
Have there been any news from the qm who ran Dungeon Delve? Does he even have a twitter?
>>
>>44686577
>Dungeon Delve
Dungeon Life Quest? Or is it another quest altogether?
>>
>>44686632
Ah, shit, meant to say Basement Delve in >>44686577
He ran two threads as far as I know but I have heard no news of him since.
>>
Hey, anon about 'monster' quest here, got a name already but I am facing a problem.

what kind of stats I should have for playing a beast/monster? I was thinking about having 'main' stats (Str, Agi etc.) and then substats would be the sum of the main stats, such as size being STR+CON and so on and so on, but I am not exactly sure how and what I should have.

Tl;dr: Character sheet for playing a feral MC pretty much?
>>
>>44687645
If you're not sure what you should have for stats why not just look at the attributes of other creatures in your setting?
>>
>>44687715
Not the problem. I'm not sure how I should stat something like that, THAT'S my problem.
>>
>>44687855
Well, what've you got to work with otherwise?
Within what context do stats change [increase/decrease]?
You have hit points, a stamina system, granular damage malus modifiers, etc?
Do you have a history or personality preferences described in bullet points?

All a character sheet is something that shows what the players need to know about their character. Whatever you think they need to know is what you should show, so it all falls within the context of the limits you've got on your setting and systems and is up to your judgement.
>>
>>44687855
More simply put, just research WoD character sheets and simplify something from those. There's a fuckhuge amount of variation there for inspiration on monsters.
Or any other settings that stat monsters are good inspiration really.
>>
>>44687957
>>44687934
Thanks, I looked the sheet up and here's what I got:
ATTRIBUTES:

STR:
CON:
DEX:
INT:

SKILLS:

Survival(DEX+INT):
Stealth(DEX+INT):
Intimidate(STR+CON):
Size(STR+CON):
Perception(DEX+INT):
Stamina:(STR+CON):

Does this make sense?
>>
File: AT-TE, as Drawn by Big.png (29KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
AT-TE, as Drawn by Big.png
29KB, 1200x600px
AT-TE Commander Quest will be up in a few hours for anyone interested.
>>
>>44688712
I'unno about the other anon but having that many interconnected stat reliant skills is a good way to condense a character into becoming and everyman who has no great specialization.
And if you're gonna do votes with experience points or something similar then you can rely on your playerbase to make that true.

It makes logical sense, but if it were a part of a system I'd have the stats only be slight boosters to the skills [survival,stealth,intimidate], while the attributes [size, stamina, perception] get hard influenced by the stats.

That way skills can be something that upgrade with what choices the players make and what their monster experiences with minor boosts from their stats. While their attributes are slightly separated in that they only really increase majorly when their stats increase, or when they've been boosted by something else.
The example I would use is a potion giving a temporary boost to STR & CON and therefore affecting both Size & Stamina. Or a mutagen that increases only their stamina, but I'm not sure what other modifiers your setting has for things like that or what you've got in mind for an upgrade system.
>>
File: ayyy.png (103KB, 188x335px) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.png
103KB, 188x335px
>>>44688925

XCOM thread is up
>>
>>44688885
Not sure if I'm following here exactly.

To start off, no exp points, stats are directly related to what kind of beast players choose for an MC.

As for the part I don't follow, you suggest splitting off skills into two categories and change the attributes into Statistics?
>>
>>44688976
That's what I'd do, it ain't necessarily what you should do.

Keep in mind I'm going off on zero baseline context as to what world you've got going, and this is the first time you've mentioned ITT linking stats to what beast the players have chosen.

As for splitting them or keeping them the same, I really can't help because I know fuck nothing about the intricacies of your system man. Do as ye shall and be met with thine fervorful efforts.
>>
>>44680921
>nonsmut and nondrama
There are some like that. Tief's does fine, for example.
>>
>>44689079
My problem is that I don't have a system. I just want something that will hold in the little bits as I try to scramble something bigger.

Sorry, but as I said, it's gonna be a quest where the MC is the 'mount' per say. You start off as wild beast/animal/monster and shit happens as you go on in your life.

Well.

>I'd have the stats only be slight boosters to the skills [survival,stealth,intimidate], while the attributes [size, stamina, perception] get hard influenced by the stats.

That sort of implies what I said; splitting skills in two. I suppose I could let players also increase their skills separately from attributes to specialize in something?
>>
>>44689212
I DON'T KNOW I DON'T KNOW YOU WANT FROM ME ANYMORE I'M GOING TO GO BACK TO WRITING LESBIANS FUCKING HELL
>>
From /a/:
>>>/a/135929274

I'd sure love to run a quest like this. It's all dramacomfy in that weird A-1 Pictures sort of way.
>>
>two quests about little girl witches in the catalogue
>>
>>44690101
Which thread is gayer?
>>
>>44690138
Gayer as in FABULOUS or as in cute girls doing cute girls?
>>
Reminder to report all sightings of /pol/ Civs and quests

If they want to run their racist garbage they can do it on /b/
>>
>>44690194
Either.
>>
>>44690217
What would you consider to be pol civs and quests? I don't recall seeing anything like that around.
>>
>>44690261
There was an upswing of quests and civs on /pol/ and the mods are banning them saying they have to run here or on /b/
We don't want that scum here especially if they're running shit like >>44679020
>>
>>44690217
>>44690261
>>44690291
Report them. These fuckers may be the final thing that makes the mods make a quest board so we'd have to share with them
>>
>>44690291
Don't like it, don't read it. I personally think it looks awful but I don't care about it at all.
>>
>>44690319
Why. They aren't bothering me.
>>
>>44690291
>>44690319
Eh, it'll fizzle out on its own. Honestly I feel like you're giving them more attention than they deserve.
>>
>>44690003
>servicing a lone high school girl
L-lewd
>>
>>44690101
Which ones?
>>
>>44690813
I'm assuming A Tale of Witches and Witch Apprentice Quest.

I still find it ridiculous that both those and Elder Loli over on Akun all came back at around the same time. It's some sort of cute witch conspiracy.
>>
Hard Science Fiction Quest when?!
>>
>>44690920
When you run it.
>>
>>44690920
What would it entail?
>>
>>44690941
Is it all right if it's also post-apocalyptic?

>>44690962
Not dying horribly in space?
>>
>>44690983
Yes, but it makes the hard sci fi harder to buy into
>>
>>44690920
Clockwork in the Void Quest paid lip service to hard sci fi... at first. It's about as lip servicey to hard sci fi as Interstellar.
>>
>>44690217
Reminder to tell all tumblrfaggots to fuck off and die, and then hide their posts.
>>
>>44690886
All three QM are friends in the Cabal, it might be. I'm happy either way.
>>
Thread is up.

>>44691260
>>
I have a new quest up for those interested.

>>44691367
>>
>>44690886
But which witch is cutest?
>>
>>44691928
The most dysfunctional one, duh.
>>
File: AT-AT.jpg (5MB, 2159x2229px) Image search: [Google]
AT-AT.jpg
5MB, 2159x2229px
>>44692481

AT-TE Commander Quest is up. Welcome to conspiracy number 2, perhaps.
>>
When will some good quests appear?
>>
>>44692979
Why do you think that would ever happen?
>>
>>44692979
When you and I start running our quests.
>>
>>44693016
That's a bold-faced lie and you know it.
>>
>>44693047
At least I believe in my dream.
>>
>>44692979
When you save questing. Get to work, anon.
>>
>>44693069
Because you'll always let it remain one.
>>
>>44693138
That's the attitude of a loser, my friend.
>>
File: 1e.png (159KB, 236x316px) Image search: [Google]
1e.png
159KB, 236x316px
>>44693016
>>44693109
You can't save those who don't want to be saved.
>>
>>44692979
You make the quests you want to see. Just like people writing the stories they want to read.

If you're gonna be a bitch about it, just run your own quest with blackjack and hookers.
>>
Quest
noun
1. a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something
2. Medieval Romance. an adventurous expedition undertaken by a knight or knights to secure or achieve something
>>
>>44693529
Princess Guard was the last true quest, everything else is written by knaves for the rankless masses.
>>
>>44693622
>shit opinion
>>
>>44693622

>Princess Guard
>quest
>>
>>44693622
For a quest, you need to be able to choose.
>>
File: 2.1.1.jpg (143KB, 595x746px) Image search: [Google]
2.1.1.jpg
143KB, 595x746px
For those interested, an update on the Paladin of Avalon is up.
http://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/24-at-a-crossroads/sapx8AG4ee26JRMpR
>>
>You are just an average ninja
> you win the chunin exam
Wew lid
>>
>>44695034
Shounen quest at its finest, mate.
>>
>>44695034
>You are just an average Shinigami
>you really are just an average Shinigami, what the hell
>>
>>44693622
When I think "Last True Quest"
I think first of SEQ which ran back in 2014
and then I realize AT-TE Commander and that it's pretty good. Princess Guard is Read The Whole Thing Just To Hate It More tier
>>
The fuck is a true quest?
>>
>>44695286
Dankest new meme.

Basically you pretend there is no good quests now and you look to the past and find one you really like and claim thats the last 'true' quest.
>>
>>44695503
Oh boy do I love the smell of fresh dank memes in the morning.
>>
>>44696204
Sometimes love hurts.
Blood Moon's up
>>
>>44695503
Ruby Quest was The Last True Quest.
>>
File: pdust.jpg (12KB, 213x154px) Image search: [Google]
pdust.jpg
12KB, 213x154px
Why don't more QMs run one shots? I feel like the board is cluttered with quests that might have operated better as one thread games.
>>
How would a GATE quest work?
Would you play it?
>>
>>44696857

What the hell is GATE?
>>
>>44696814
I've had an idea about running one-shot quests that each connect to each other only through the "history" of said world all the one-shots take place in.

For an example, one quest could let the players chose whether they're protecting or laying siege to a Keep and they can fail or succeed. In the next one-shot quest, it could take place in the same world, but 100 years later and the outcome of the previous one-shot reflects some changes in all forms of manners in the new one-shot while that one still has a short story with a goal of itself.

Essentially Fantasy world/history-building through one-shots.
>>
>>44696870
Shitty Japanese nationalist propaganda using a shitty modern people trapped in fantasy setting premise.

>>44696857
There was already a Nazis in Fantasy Land quest. Same shit, different country.
>>
>>44696857
A GATE quest would work best if you're one of the people captured and brought into the GATE during the introduction, and not attached to anything back home. Then you break out. That way you're not beholden to any superiors.

>>44696870
GATE is when a magical gateway suddenly appears between modern japan and a generic dragons-and-elves fantasy setting. On one side, /k/, japanese variety, and on the other, elves and wizards and shit.
>>
>>44696899
>I've had an idea about running one-shot quests that each connect to each other only through the "history" of said world all the one-shots take place in.

Isn't that basically what GermanSchteel does with that one fantasy setting he has? Provided those quests are more like 3-10 shots over just one thread.
>>
>>44696870
I think anon is refering to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_(novel_series).

It's an anime about how an interdimensional gate to a fantasy world opens up and the Japanese government sends in their not!army (since it appeared in Japan of all places). Intresting premise but bogged down by stupid Japanese nationalism and /k/ shit
>>
>>44696857
How about an Overlord Quest which instead of YGGDRASIL, zaps players from Metal Gear Online into the New World instead?
>>
>>44696952
It isn't the same thing if the quest takes up to 3+ threads. Never read any of GS' quests anyhow, so I couldn't tell.
>>
Light novels are already an abomination. Why would you mix them with quests anon? Why would you do something so terrible?
>>
>>44696965
>>44696927
>>44696909

Sounds interesting but your claims of it being garbage are all too plausible.

Personally, I wouldn't run a quest in that. Too much work to required to meet even my minimum standards of quality (I doubt I have the /k/red to do the weapons properly and clashing modern japan with western fantasy seems like it would result in ignorance).

I'd suggest running something original that actually captures the tone of whatever you're imagining a GATE quest would ideally be like.
>>
Naruto Sniper Quest is running in its second installment. Allow me to introduce my muses, pic related.

>>44697056
>>
File: ow the edge.png (124KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
ow the edge.png
124KB, 500x345px
>>44697103
forgot picture
>>
>>44697061
It might be intresting if you were part of another nation that wasn't Japan. On the other side, you could play as a native on the fantasy side of the GATE as a superior military invades. Might be an intresting POV
>>44697025
At least there hasn't been an SAO or Rakudai quest
>>
>>44697061
Revamp it so the MC is one of the fantasy worlders and there is some sort of proxy war between Earth powers. Then you can have an interesting sort of thing as both sides learn to into guns.
>>
>>44697175
It would be interesting to have both sides of the GATE being two seperate fantasy settings with their own types of magic or tech or whatever. One stops working the further into the other you go, Abhorsen style.

... Speaking of Abhorsen, Abhorsen Quest When?
>>
>>44697133
>SAO quest
There has been. Samuel was the MC's name. There was like 13 threads I think.
>>
>>44697175
>>44697133

Again... it has little appeal for me. But those ideas may work for the OP who asked the question originally. Your suggestions certainly show that somebody cares about the setting.
>>
>>44697133
There have been on other sites
>>
>>44697133
>On the other side, you could play as a native on the fantasy side of the GATE as a superior military invades. Might be an intresting POV

I feel like playing as an evil wizard overlord trying to protect your dark realm against modern day humans coming through to try and force democracy on you at gunpoint could be fun.

Trying to desperately modernize and reorganize your massive but completely underprepared, undertrained and underequipped dark forces once you realize that you can't just solve everything with waves of orcs and a few spells.
>>
>>44693481
>You make the quests you want to see.
See >>44671526
>>
>>44696814
I tried that. Nobody played.
>>
>>44697252
What about spooky skeletons, lots of spooky skeletons?
>>
>>44697221
I sincerely doubt my writing ability to execute a GATE quest well especially given my current proformance on the quest I'm running currently
>>
>>44697133
The SAO quests have actually been okay-ish, at least the ones that reached thread 2. Better than crossover bullshit, at any rate.
>>
>>44697379
I think it would be intresting to have quests in the other games featured in the LNs (like GGO or ALO). Alicization definately has some potentional for a good quest
>>
>>44697061
I thought it was neat at first but it quickly dove into "Every protagonist from Earth is secretly a /k/ommando with 300 confirmed kills and can easily slaughter Delta, Spetsnaz, and whatever the Chinese Equivalent is with their eyes closed isn't Japan amazing?!?!?!?!"
>>
>>44697321

When did you run it? What was the premise?
>>
>>44697416
>GGO
it's got a good balance of /k/ and scifi guns, so if someone wanted to run something with shooting it could work. Kinda meh on any kind of plot, though.

and it's going to be hard to sperg about guns just as well as Sigsawa

>Alicization
No. That one's an irredeemable mess of mechanics, with literally only 2 stats: HP and User Level. I don't want to play Bankai Spam: The Quest
>>
>>44697489
True the plot might be hard to come up with, but a simple quest about a hunting party or mercenary force would be intresting to play with.
>Alicization
Meant more so the world than the mechanics. A fantasy world with a strict hierarchy and rules that has thinly veiled psudo-computer mechanics might be good to mess around with.
>>
>>44697328
>wanting an audience of pun spamming memeturds
No thx
>>
>>44697702
you are literally better off using Ar Tonelico, UNCHANGED. Even with the fanservice stuff, it would still be better presented and solidly constructed than Alicization.
>>
>>44686646
so I asked, and OP was apparently less than pleased with how it went. Jury's out on whether it'll continue.
>>
>>44697133

To be fair, I think an SAO thing could work, but with more of an original spin on the universe and a protagonist who isn't capable of one-shotting everything with ease.
>>
>>44698884
>more of an original spin on the universe
What do you mean?
>>
>>44698884
Have the MC struggle a lot to survive and grow stronger. Let him lose his friends and guild mates along the way. Remove the harem and romance factor and just make it a dark tale about a lone gamer trying to survive and beat a twisted VRMMORPG death game.
>>
>>44698939
I think that's really what would happen from the get-go if there was to be an SAO quest. The real problem would be how to advance the plotline without it seeming slow (remember that 2 years passed between the game starting and them reaching the 50th or so floor).
>>
>>44699047
Have it be different story arcs that takes place during certain time intervals.

First Story Arc - Day 1 to Day 7
Second Story Arc - Day 30 to Day 34
Third Story Arc - Day 57 to Day 64
Possibly have each day or two be one thread in itself and have every Story Arc take place between these days and have a clear goal that the MC is supposed to fulfill and smoothly fill the players in on what has happened in between the time-skip etc.
>>
Golem Quest will continue tomarrow at noon, for the first time in a long time.
Join our hero Gabriel as he begins his mission to The Line to find the truth about his past!
And, ya know, romance dat elf.
>>
>>44699241
Fuck off shit qm.
>>
>>44698884
SAO does not work as a quest because the inherent game is incredibly poorly thought out.

The death game concept is just used as a nice backdrop to the core shoddily done romance plot.

If any of those games were real and playable, people would be making fun of them because of how terrible their mechanics are.
>>
>>44699268
>SAO does not work as a quest
This has already been proven wrong before though. Your point is unfortunately moot.
>>
>>44699294
Oh yes, look at how many great SAO quests there are.
>>
>>44697465
>Every protagonist from Earth
No, only the Japanese. All the other countries are kids cartoon tier villains.
>>
>>44699317
No need for an attitude like that.

Rather, look at the SAO quests that were successful for the period of time that they ran. Honestly, don't be so narrow-minded when it comes to what can or cannot be done as a quest.
>>
File: .--. .-.. ..- - ---.jpg (114KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
.--. .-.. ..- - ---.jpg
114KB, 1920x1080px
>>44699265
yeah, I am pretty shit.
But, I will finish what I started. For the sake of story. And fun!
>>
HEY, NARUTO SNIPER FAGGOT! WHERE ARE YOU?

I WANNA SHOOT FAGGY NINJAS LIKE AN OPERATOR
>>
>>44699357
SAO is a terrible game. Not talking about the show, but the game. The show is terrible too, but that's another matter.

There's no class options, everyone has to be a swordsman or some type of melee fighter, there's no magic, no support classes or skills and people can mess with your menus when you're asleep. It's an incredibly shoddily thought out game written by someone who either doesn't know how games work or doesn't care.

The "successful" SAO quests were riding on the popularity of the series or the gimmick of being stuck in an MMO, but the thing is SAO is a really shitty MMO to get stuck in to the point if you want to write a stuck in an MMO story you might as well come up with your own game than deal with the total mess that is SAO.
>>
File: they think.png (137KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
they think.png
137KB, 500x453px
>>44699442
What IS Naruto Sniper about?
I've seen it about.
Is it just adding guns to Naruto?
>>
>>44699477
>The "successful" SAO quests were riding on the popularity of the series or the gimmick of being stuck in an MMO, but the thing is SAO is a really shitty MMO to get stuck in to the point if you want to write a stuck in an MMO story you might as well come up with your own game than deal with the total mess that is SAO.
I suppose that's true. In the end, it is better to create your own game world to run your quest in rather than doing a fan fiction quest.
>>
>>44699501
Guns were already in Naruto they are just OUTFUCKINGSKILLED by ninja shit. So you're an asshole with a gun fighting super ninjas.
>>
File: activate.png (566KB, 1220x912px) Image search: [Google]
activate.png
566KB, 1220x912px
>>44699527
THERE WERE?
The fuck.
Alright, what ever. That kinda sounds entertaining.
Shooting edgy 'ninjas' from two miles away with a high powered sniper rifles is something I can get behind.
>>
>>44699584
That's not realistically possible. You would need something antimaterial grade to make such a shot, which doesn't even get into mechanical accuracy.

Two miles is about 3500 yards. If you have a .25 MOA gun, in terms of mechanical accuracy, a bullet can end up anywhere in a circle approximately seven feet in diameter, and that isn't even getting into the real devil of long range shooting -- wind.
>>
>>44699527
To be fair, it's just one panel and it was basically an accident by one of Kishimoto's assistants. I'm just rolling with the idea, even though it's canon basis is dubious at best
>>
>>44699782
They have fucking laptops and smartphones by the end of Naruto. I think you're good.
>>
>>44699782
It wouldn't be that far of a stretch for guns to exist in Naruto.

It's just that when your average 12 year old can instantly replace themselves with a log or make duplicates of themselves and a person twice that age can do even more then the strategic value of firearms decreases a lot.
>>
OOOOOH.

Now I know why I can't build up a playerbase and have next to no players every time I have a quest.

It's because I wipe everything and come up with a new trip and name for each new quest I run.

So everyone thinks it's some new obscure QM when it's been the same QM in a disguise since 2012.
>>
>>44700241
And the fact that you drop a quest that they might enjoy due to you not taking your ADD meds, faggot.
>>
>>44699519
This is true, but it makes it easier to worldbuild if everyone knows the world and what they will be getting into before they start playing (this is why quest titles are usually very self-explainatory)
>>
>>44700328
Worldbuilding isn't hard, unless you're seriously uncreative.

Using a pre-established setting also encourages metagaming.
>>
>>44700328
>Online Death Game Quest
>ODGQ
It rolls off the tongue nicely, but sounds cringy at the same time.
>>
File: get in the bags.png (42KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
get in the bags.png
42KB, 325x325px
>>44699717
Good to know.
>>
>>44697133
>Rakudai
What is this mongolian cavepainting?
>>
>tfw no spitalian quest today
Suffering.
>>
Is it safe to assume XS is innaward getting a lung check?
>>
When will femcock return?
>>
>>44690886
>>44691928
>>44692098
Which one has the most interesting writing and characters?
>>44700795
More quests based on RPG settings would be nice, as long as it's not more generic Forgotten Realms garbage.
>>
>>44700939
I have heard vague legends of this Femcock. Did they really run every day for three months?
>>
>>44701017
It is true.

Exabutt actually ran daily without breaks for only two days longer than femcock did. That's supposedly the reason Psion Quest was so terrible.
>>
>>44700945
Depends on what you're looking for.

Looking for chuuni/edgy with a presentation and culture that tries to be as out-of-the-norm as possible? AToW

Looking for something that's more whimsical fairy tale adventure with some subtle depressing undertones? Elder Loli

Looking for a more straightforward take on SoL town-life type of story about family, friends, and growing up? Witch Apprentice
>>
>>44700945
>More quests based on RPG settings would be nice
I want to see a quest that focus on D&D sessions where you're one of the players and during the sessions, the players are playing the MC's character in the session and in-between sessions, they play as the MC IRL.

In a situation where the DM does something absurdly stupid the following options could present themselves:

>Call him out on his bullshit (OOC)
>Roll with it

If you get my drift?
>>
>>44701083
That would be brilliant
Will you run it
>>
>>44701055
My fucking god.

I wonder if this new guy's gonna go for that gold.
>>
>>44701113
The current 'gold' is 65 days, I think.
>>
>>44701113
It's cursed gold.

Nothing good will come out of it.
>>
>>44701112
I would like to run it, but given my low knowledge and experience when it comes to actual D&D games, it wouldn't be very authentic.
>>
>>44701164
See I would totally run this but I would need more ideas for it and I'm already running a quest so it makes it hard
>>
>>44700660
I goofed by an order of magnitude by not paying attention. A minute of angle is approximately one inch at groupings at 100 yards. Linearly, a quarter-MOA rifle at 3500 yards should print groups within a 9" circle. However, those shots require extremely accurate ranging, which is not always possible.
>>
How niche are idols for /tg/?
>>
>>44701186
The best I could do is study more about D&D games and mechanics like saves, reflexes + stats before actually trying to run it.
>>
>>44701188
I'm sure there are jutsus or ninja-level training for that kind of thing. I mean, there are samurai and shit that learn ninja-level swordfighting and just wear antimagic armor
>>
>>44701235
The best would be to get a group and run some campaigns together. I would suggest not a group of friends you are close with to get the That Guy or That DM experience
>>
>>44701252
Unfortunately I'm a NEET with literally no friends and the social skills of a squirrel on meth.
>>
>>44701286
I was suggesting more on the lines of finding a group in the group finder thread. or something along those lines.
>>
>>44701286
You could probably gather up a group in the QMC IRC channel or something. I know that I'd probably join in, because I don't have enough RPGs going lately.
>>
>>44700692
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, another one of those battle academy shows where it goes "oh look at how oppressed and 'weak' the MC is" and then they turn out to be OP as fuck and there's some tournament or whatever.

It's not good, but it gets points for having the main character actually confess and go out with the main girl rather than just dragging it out.
>>
>>44701376
Would it make a good setting for a quest though?
>>
>>44701398
No. The only thing really exceptional about it is the OP and two main character's relationship.

Everything else is just a Mahouka (which is not that good either) knockoff. Asterisk War is like Rakudai except that it replaced the two characters and their relationship with a harem and it is considerably more boring.
>>
Code Geass-esque quest?

>Mech's
>A superior country is controlling a vast amount of other countries
>There are scattered resistance movements
>MC is a genius and love psychological/strategical games who wants to take over the world
>>
>>44701206
I like idols. Can't say the same for the rest of the board.
>>
>>44701624
>MC is a genius

The problem with this is that for the most part, clever plans and such doesn't tend to come from the players unless you have clever ones.

It loses all the fun of a quest to make all of these 'clever plans' come from prompts or something.

It's probably best to make them clever in a different manner, and just cross your fingers and hope for psychological shenanigans.

I didn't like Code Geass, I should admit.
>>
>>44701398
>>44701557
Military Magical Girl quest has been a weird, edgederp-happy way to go about this premise. Complete with gore and gibbing, all psuedo Bokurano-like.
>>
>>44701710
>Complete with gore and gibbing, all psuedo Bokurano-like.
What do you mean by that? What have the threads been like?
>>
>>44701643
I don't mind idols, but everything featuring them can be hit or miss. Barely anything in between.
>>
File: 1446000053760.png (131KB, 555x378px) Image search: [Google]
1446000053760.png
131KB, 555x378px
>>44701710
>Magical Girl quest
>edgederp
Of course it is.
>>
Asked this last week and I'll ask it again: What's the best way to run a magical girl quest and what would you do differently if you were to run one?
>>
>>44701918
Lesbians.
>>
>>44701918
A magical girl quest should be very lighthearted, very girly, and *magical*. The stakes shouldn't be very high most of the time, and when it is, the power of FRIENDSHIP should be more than enough to destroy the monster with giant lasers.

It should be cute and SoL, with a bit of adventure and experimenting with magical powers.

And I'd also add lesbians.
>>
>>44701918
Actually watch a magical girl show that isn't madoka or a madoka wannabe.

Understand the genre before writing it. If you don't actually like the genre itself then don't write it because you probably won't enjoy it.
>>
>>44701740
>"You wake up to the pained screams of a boy being wheeled through on a gurney, crying out for his mother as he desperately tries to keep his own guts inside his disembowelled torso. He is quickly silenced by the frothing blood gurgling in his throat, and after a few pained chokes he's silent.

>>a girl stares into a hand-mirror, sobbing. Only once she turns her head do you see why - for the other half of her face has been melted away to a rictus grin of burnt skin and exposed bone by magical flame.
>>
>>44697468
I ran it a few months ago. The premise was a pseudo-Star Trek adventure.
>>
>>44701740
>You push through the pain, grasping your weapon and thrusting for Yaeda. With a scream and a yell she cries out, dropping the bullets that were levitating in her hand. The blade pierces her palm, sending blood down her hand and onto the floor. Rushing for her gun, she aims it right at you but you tackle her to the floor, stabbing and stabbing at her again and again.

>from your palm goes a spear of ice, piercing her chest and pinning her straight to the wall of ice you created. Yaeda tries to struggle for a little bit, attempting the pull the great ice shard from her chest, but the blood loss is too much. After several long moments she falls on the spike, dead amongst the carnage. Her gun drops from her hand with a clang and all that is left is the slow dripping of blood from her hand.

>"Match over!" Comes the yell of the officer, jolting you back to reality. "The winner is Squad 347!"
>>
>>44702082
>>44702122
You see, I don't see a reason why to make a story like that a magical girl thing except because it makes you think you're being clever.
>>
>>44702082
>>44702122
Edgy.

I'm not sure why these are the only magical girl quests we get.
>>
>>44702082
Holy fuck. That's metal as hell.
>>44702122
Context?
>>44701980
Is it possible to have a dark magical girl quest executed good? Or is that not possible after Madoka/neo-Magical Girl shows have become popular?
>>
File: bq qm.png (17KB, 570x216px) Image search: [Google]
bq qm.png
17KB, 570x216px
>>44700795
I hope he's okay.
>>
>>44702150
>Is it possible to have a dark magical girl quest executed good? Or is that not possible after Madoka/neo-Magical Girl shows have become popular?
git gud
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 759x827px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 759x827px
>>44702069
>>
>>44702150
They're deathmatches within the confines and "rules" of a magical academy.
>>
>>44702150
>Is it possible to have a dark magical girl quest executed good?
It's literally the only type we have.

The thing is, almost nobody who runs a MG quest actually watches any MG shows other than possibly Madoka.

This is like if QMs start running mecha quests but the only mecha show they've ever watched was NGE.
>>
>>44702138
I've seen some of the threads for military magical girl and in its defense not all of the magic users are girls (two of the characters in the MCs group are guys afterall
>>
>>44702236
I thought we had a Cardcaptor/Sailor Moon themed quests though. Are those still edgedark?
>>
>>44702252
Then why is it called a magical girl quest? This just sounds so pointless.

You're calling something one thing then completely not doing anything close to it at all.
>>
has there been a quest where the point is to try and become the biggest baddest meme
>>
>>44702150
I don't even like Madoka so I'm the wrong person to ask, but if I had to explain what you need to do to make one good then, well, you probably wouldn't even get what you were looking for.

The thing is, Madoka is far from the first to do subversion of typical magical girl tropes and conventions, just look at Utena. But the thing about those other shows that didn't get the attention Madoka got for it was that they had a specific story in mind that mostly fit the magical girl genre but some subversions needed to be done to make it work. They don't stand out because they weren't the point.

Madoka on the other hand basically made a story with the whole point being subversion. That's why it stands out and gets attention for it and that's why people like me don't like it, because the entire setting and characters just seem so transparently designed to make each twist and plot point happen the exact way it happens. There's no story beyond the subversion, basically. All the shows following in it's footsteps are doing the same.

So in short, to do the dark magical girl thing you actually have to be going for something else than just subverting tropes and memes or whatever. Have some thought put into a story that uses conventions and tropes to tell it, then a story that's an excuse to fuck with conventions and tropes.

>>44702252
Then why call it Magical Girl? It clearly doesn't care about any of it's conventions.

Also Shugo Chara is Magical Girl as fuck and it also has guy magic users.
>>
File: Into the trash it goes!.jpg (45KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Into the trash it goes!.jpg
45KB, 300x400px
>>44702252
>two of the characters in the MCs group are guys afterall
>>
>>44702298
Don't ask me, I didn't make the quest. It might be just a thing to attract people.
>>44702307
That is true. The magic system/setting the QM is using is homebrewed which is somewhat of a plus in my book but I'm pleased easily so that's not saying much. I think it may be moreso referring to how the MC is a magical girl, that is, a magician who is a girl.
>>44702346
If I remember correctly, the squad the MC is a part of is five people including the MC. Two guys and two girls (well three girls including the MC)
>>
Honestly AToW is probably the closest to getting dark magical girl right and isn't even magical girl. It's just doing it's own thing like >>44702307 illustrated.
>>
>>44702400
Nanoha made the coed magical stuff work, but it was nothing short of a miracle. I don't think this quest is going to pull that.
>>
File: 1451718500674.jpg (217KB, 1000x690px) Image search: [Google]
1451718500674.jpg
217KB, 1000x690px
I fucking love watching magical girl autists get furious over the fact that not all magical girl quests are pointless SoL.
>>
>>44702409
Which one is that one?

On the topic of magical girl quests, what is noir magical girl like? Does it lean more towards the dark side of things or take a different approach to the concept?
>>
>>44702485
Because pointless edge is so much better.
>>
>>44702519
I don't care about the edgy quests, I just find it funny that you do.
>>
>>44702519
To be honest, if held at gunpoint and told to choose either SoL or edgy magical girl quests, I would choose edgy. Not saying that one is better than the other, but edgy shit has more chances for funs.
>>
>>44702304
Yes.
>>
>>44702567
It doesn't need to be SoL. Just like it doesn't have to be dumb edge written by someone trying to be clever.
>>
>>44702595
>>44702519
Keep crying.
>>
>>44702595
True. But given the popularity of 40k and its grimdark edginess, I doubt /tg/ has the capability to do that. I think I re-branding of dark magical girl to seperate it from classical magical girl might do the trick though.
>>
>>44702643
I wouldn't even mind edgy magical girls if most of them weren't just total garbage.
>>
>>44696814

I ran one a few weeks back, and I decided on a oneshot because a) I was experimenting and b) I had a cohesive plot planned out.

I think the planning part is somewhat necessary for a quest that's limited to a number of threads, or the QM might have to railroad choices so the quest ends on a satisfying note. That sounds like more effort, especially if you're more used to providing more of a sandbox and improvising.

Also less likely to be popular. I think players are more likely to remember the quest first, QM second ego and attention are top priority.

And I can't actually think of anything that would be better as oneshot or episodic. Which quests or kinds of quests in particular?
>>
>>44702595
>>44702669
>still this mad about SWQ
lol
>>
>>44702742
That was really low quality feelthy.
>>
>>44702742
What?
>>
>>44702742
We weren't even talking about that.
>>
>>44702669
What do you mean? I haven't checked out the majority of the dark MG quests.
>>44702742
>SWQ
What happened?
>>
>>44702786
>>What happened?
Nothing, he's just a moron.
>>
>>44702742
I don't even know which SWQ you talk about.
>>
>>44702797
I don't think any of the SWQs are actually dark enough to count as edgy.
>>
>>44702742
Did you seriously just bitch about people not liking dark magical girl just to bring up SWQ?
>>
I honestly don't think there's a problem with how MG quests are run right now. I think there's this push on /tg/ to just get rid of quests all together and the fact that MGs are anime even worsens that problem. Even if all Magical Girl Quests were run in a lighter, SoL style, I still think people would hate them because A) they are quests, and B) they are anime
>>
>>44702863
The issue isn't that they're being run it's how they're all the same dark subversion shit.
>>
>>44702196
>within the confines and "rules" of a magical academy.
So what, magical girls have to fight each other when they go to school? What type of hell-school is this?
>>
>>44702863
When the people that complains about it seems to be the people that like magical girl I kind of don't see much of a point to what you're saying. You're argument is that nothing should change because anti-quest fags won't like what we like, I guess?
>>
>>44702901
I have yet to see you post an example outside of Military Magical Girl. What other MG quests have this subversion shit?
>>44702926
My point is that people will hate Magical Girl quests no matter what. This isn't to say they shouldn't change. More creativity and imagination is always welcome. I just think it will be hard considering the wide-spread appeal of Madoka and the grimdark appeal of 40k, especially on /tg/
>>
>>44702959
Magical Girl Noir Quest
Magical Girl Hunter Quest
Unfortunate Magical Girl Quest
Magical Soldier Quest
Post-Apocalypse Magical Girl Quest
At least three Breaker reboots (does anyone still remember those?)
>>
>>44702959
>My point is that people will hate Magical Girl quests no matter what.
Yeah, and those people aren't the ones complaining right now.
>>
>>44703046
What about the Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor quests? And Liberty Magical Girl?
>>
>>44703076
The Sailor Moon one is pretty dark from what I've heard.

The Cardcaptors thing is ending soon. I still don't really know what Magical Girl Liberty is. There was also Evil Precure Quest which was actually not an edgy magical girl quest despite the name, but now it's dead.
>>
>>44697133

JQOP has been talking about a magical battle academy quest, but you'll be playing one of the racist, xenophobic nobles instead of the heroic underdog.
>>
>Naruto Sniper Quest is literally at the edge of "Psh. Nothin personnel, kid"
>>
>>44703234
>implying it wasn't going that route from the beginning
>>
This thread has gotten me intrested in Military Magical Girl Quest. What do you say anons, should I take the plunge?
>>
>>44703402
Take the plunge and then review it for us.
>>
>A quest where you're rebuilding a setting piece by piece after some asshole destroyed it via loophole abuse

Sound fun?
>>
>>44703130
>>44703076

I was so happy when Evil Precure came back, and dejected when it went away again. It was adorable.

And Eclipsed Moon starts a bit edge derp but then shifts to a shade of darkness about in step with Sailor Moon proper.
>>
>>44703419
>tfw anon starts liking it
>>44703564
What would the setup/quest structure be like?
>>
>>44703382
The edginess isn't offputting so far. Hesitantly optimistic
>>
>>44703806
My only qualm so far is that the threads are a bit short
>>
>>44703663
>And Eclipsed Moon starts a bit edge derp but then shifts to a shade of darkness about in step with Sailor Moon proper.
For Eclipsed Moon how important is actual knowledge of Sailor Moon to enjoy it? I keep considering picking it up because I really want more magical girl stuff to read, but it's been ages since I've known anything but the bare minimum of Sailor Moon knowledge, it probably doesn't help that I never bothered to watch Crystal because it was apparently bad.
>>
>>44702409
>Honestly AToW is probably the closest to getting dark magical girl right and isn't even magical girl. It's just doing it's own thing like >>44702307 illustrated.
Because its creator fucking loves the genre in all its forms. Emphasis on all. Same shit with Joker Quest and armoured heroes.
>>
>>44702496
>Which one is that one?
A Tale of Witches. It's like Little Witch Academia meets Spirit Science.
>On the topic of magical girl quests, what is noir magical girl like? Does it lean more towards the dark side of things or take a different approach to the concept?
It's Madoka + 40k with a rushed max payne paintjob. It's very dark.
>>
>>44703671
Not a civ quest by any means, but finding Fragments of the setting and putting them in place. As you rebuild, more races, more cities, more concepts will flow back into place.
>>
>>44704005
I'm of the mind that I've framed it poorly, but I've been told by people knowledgeable of the source material and not knowledgeable of the source material that they enjoyed it.

I invite you to try out the archive and form your own opinion. My tone shift begins in thread 4 & 5. I've managed to keep it fairly correctly labeled on suptg, If you want to search it out on one of the other archives with post search functions my original tripcode was !ep86rfac5g

I'm probably the worst person to answer your question due to bias and am in the middle of rereading my own archive to locate any hanging plot threads and angrily sigh at my own errors.
>>
>>44704125
I would be intrested in playing. When were you planning on running it?
>>44704037
I don't feel like the other MG quests are just doing grimdark shit just because Madoka did it. I think a lot of quests suffer from "if I don't make it realistic/intresting people won't play" and dark MG is a quick way to grab people's attention.
>>
>>44704260
>I don't feel like the other MG quests are just doing grimdark shit just because Madoka did it.
Didn't say it.
>>
>>44704260
Do you even read the posts you reply to?
>>
>>44704260
Others did it before Madoka, though.
>>
>>44704260
>I would be intrested in playing. When were you planning on running it?
Uncertain. No stable schedule at all.
>>
L5R Quest when? I'd run it myself, but I'm already busy running my own quests.
>>
>Star Wars quest
>Start off with the MC trying to meditate in a ruined Jedi temple
>Give them a choice of starting options
>Jedi Master, reliving his memories of the Clone Wars.
>Jedi Knight, worrying after the fate of his young apprentice sent on some errand.
>Padawan, nervous regarding the long overdue construction of his lightsaber

Setting would be after the destruction of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant but well before the rise of Luke Skywalker and the defeat of Darth Sidious. Which option would players likely go for? Trying to figure out which option to flesh out the most.

desu, I'll probably never run the quest regardless.
>>
>>44704570
That's what L5R campaigns are for anon
>>
>>44704570
>L5R Quest when? I'd run it myself, but I'm already busy running my own quests.
When John Wick stops being a faggot. When spider clan starts being good.
Whichever happens sooner.
>>
>>44704672
You know how hard it is to find a campaign for L5R anon? If my quests didn't have me busy, I'd probably run it just to get more people interested in it.
>>44704702
So never then? Gotcha.
>>
>>44704570
There's one an Akun.
>>
>>44704870
Is there? What's the name of it?
>>
>>44704754
I know anon. Tried to join one but it turned real bad real quick
>>
>>44704664
I'd probably go with Padawan, feel like there would be more player control over a young character.
>>
>>44704908
http://anonkun.com/stories/l5r-the-tale-of-the-honest-scorpion/R54fun38DLNtjvYqz

I haven't checked it out myself yet since the phrase 'Honest Scorpion' pretty much made me go "nah, not right now".
>>
>>44704917
To be honest, that's just kind of common for L5R. It's a cool idea but the execution by both players and even the setting creators/writers kind of makes it hard for a good game to come of it.
>>
>>44705033
It was a group of Scorpion players that wanted to play a dark and edgy 2cool4u ninja campaign and I kinda wanted to play a more military-based bushi campaign so I bailed
>>
>>44705066
Once again, pretty common. Edgy scorpion players did in a couple of my campaigns too.
>>
>>44705004
This actually gives me an idea. I've never really used anonkun before, how does it work? Is it kind of like playing-by-post games, where the GM writes, steps out, comes back a while later when he has time, reads the votes, then writes the next update, or is it actively run like quests on /tg/? Because if it's the former, I might be able to run a quest on there despite having two I'm running right now on /tg/.
>>
>>44705130
You can do it like both and their both accepted by the community there.
>>
File: 1411477200365.jpg (56KB, 850x680px) Image search: [Google]
1411477200365.jpg
56KB, 850x680px
>>44700902
Yes. It's also correct.
>>
>>44705147
Neat. In that case, I'm gonna go ahead and familiarize myself with the site. Dunno if I should keep my /tg/ trip or use a new one though, might worry my players if I announce I'm running another quest (one I update in free time, granted, but still).
>>
>>44705130
Kind of both.

You can just come in and post whenever you want, or you can activate 'LIVE' mode, which sends an announcement to your followers, and then you can actively run as long as it's set to LIVE.

I once had my power die while running, and a moderator came in and turned off the LIVE notification. It's not a bad system.
Thread posts: 373
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.