[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you run this, /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

File: undertale_logo.png (1KB, 658x164px) Image search: [Google]
undertale_logo.png
1KB, 658x164px
How would you run this, /tg/?
>>
By throwing popcorn at my players during combat.
>>
>>44669894
Just make them sit there for a bunch of sessions pitting them against enemies with only diplomacy or dedkill rolls. Then when everybody gets bored because it's shit, I would run a real campaign.
>>
>>44669894
Run it secretly in pathfinder by saying the players fell into the underdark and see how long it takes them to catch onto it without me dropping any obvious hints.
>>
>>44669894
I'd try to find a friend with a hot mom first.
>>
>>44669894
It would be built to bring the ideas of roleplaying and rollplaying into conflict. The moral system and character power would be inversely linked. Players would have to choose between having stats that can solve problems, or convincing NPCs through passionate rollplaying and solving puzzles with their own smarts.
>>
I don't really think it'd be possible, I mean, it's a bullet-hell game. A bunch of my players all got this game at the same time and played it over winter break. I'm low-key hoping that the game's whole deal with pacifism is going to bump back their murder-hobo tendencies.

Then again, it might do the opposite. One of my players is inordinately convinced that his character is basically just all about the killing as a result of his half-orc blood. So I guess we'll see.
>>
>>44669894
Well, there's one of those computer things I've heard so much about.
>>
>>44669894
i wouldn't, because what makes for a good single player experience would not necessitate it as a solid group setting. This is especially true when the setting is supposed to change based on an individual's actions in an area changes the setting in a meaningful way. In other words, a single dickass PC would fuck it up for the group.
>>
>>44669982
>>44670024
You can hide threads you know.
>>
>>44669894
I wouldn't because you shouldn't expose players to shit settings.
>>
>>44670163
It's a subversion of the grimdark underdark with a noblebright one. While large parts of the lore are weak and various parts of the game are 'meme-y' it could still make for a fun beer and pretzels game for the players.
>>
>>44669894
By reporting the shitty troll thread
>>
>>44669894
Use it as a backdrop for a different story. It doesn't work as anything else.
So either it's typical modern day but with monsters and I'm running an urban arcana type story, or we're in the Underground dealing with monster problems. Like. Shit. I don't know.

Mettaton's assistant has gone missing. It's basically her job to set things up for him and make sure everything is perfect because he's a total diva. And now she's gone and Mettaton is pissy and diva as hell because no one's around to get him imported crystal water from the frozen falls of Snowdin. So he's hired the party to find her for him. Now you go on mystery adventures in the Underground. Locations include the ones shown in game, the capital, and whatever else I feel like shoving in for the sake of convenience.
Maybe there's a sewer system, but monsters don't go to the bathroom, so they don't actually know what it's used for, but they feel that they should have one.
Something like that.

Actually running the game plot, though, is stupid and doomed to fail, especially because it relies heavily on save states.
>>
>>44669894
I'd run it on my PC. The only system it's available to play on.
>>
Pasting this from the last thread I saw on the subject, because it hit the nail on the head.

Now is the wrong time for this. The Undertale fandom is too strong and loud, and any game will have the actually interesting elements of the game lost amidst fanwankery.

Being able to spare monsters or the good music or the cute characters are all good, but none of them are particularly novel. If you want to set a tabletop in the Setting of Undertale, that's fine, you can do it really easily, it requires no innovation or thought on your part.

However, IMO there's a much more interesting option available here, that could be very compelling if explored and executed properly- A game that acknowledges the players, that you are playing a roleplaying game, and that uses the medium to allow unique elements and events to take place.

And no, I'm not talking about 'copying' the way it works in Undertale. Undertale is a videogame, and it uses that fact incredibly well to tell a unique story that wouldn't work in any other medium. If you really want to make a game in the same Style as Undertale, rather than just copying the surface details, you need to put real thought into undermining the usual assumptions of roleplayers, of dealing with the players directly and using those elements to create a system that can tell stories you wouldn't get anywhere else. And that's going to be extremely hard work. It'll require great ideas, a lot of testing, harsh editing and a good combination of appreciation for the source material and detachment from it, willing to go in your own direction rather than just staying bound to what Undertale did.

But I'm pretty sure this thread is all about a surface level Undertale game, using the setting and the details. Which is fine, really, I'm just hoping that eventually we see an RPG which is as inventive and innovative as Undertale was. Although hopefully without the repetitive random encounters, holy fuck those things got old fast.
>>
>>44669894
>>44669894
havent played the game, but from what i seen i would say it's imposible. The combat system would but a ton of strain on the GM because he would have to make EVERY single thing you fight have some sort of personality and decide what it would react to well and what not.
>>
>>44670242
No it could not. Well, unless your players are GIGANTIC faggots.
>>
>>44670280
So you mean he'd just need to write characters and creatures that can be spared like in most other games? Not everyone in a fight is going to fight to the death even in a normal tabletop game. Even animals would try to run away if losing. For the bosses special 'mercy' paths are just RP based and should be an option in normal tabletops anyways.
>>
>>44670132
Expressing a contrarian opinion doesnt mean I dislike discussing the topic at hand.
>>
>>44669894
I wouldn't.
An Undertale TTRPG wouldn't translate well. Undertale was meant to be a videogame, and is even commentary on videogames. So just let it be a videogame.
>>
Probably just by running a game by looking at a mechanical breakdown of SMT3 and hacking together something out of that.
>>
>>44670288
I mean, a semi-surreal game that allows the PCs to either rely on their blades or their abstract reasoning seems like exactly the sorta setting that a casual beer and pretzels game would benefit from. Not every game needs to be a in depth character study or a deep immersive plot that makes people rethink their actions.
>>
>>44670288
You sound like a loser
>>
>>44670414
>Undertale was meant to be a shitty videogame, and is even a shitty commentary on videogames. So just let it be a shitty videogame.
FTFY
>>
File: 1446338612320.png (444KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1446338612320.png
444KB, 800x600px
>>44670468
>>
>>44670466
You sound like a fanboy.
>>
>>44670355
spared and having a compleatly differnt "battle path" based on talking are two diferent things. There is a reason why most people create no more than 20 well fleshed out NPCs druing a campaing, because it takes time and effort
>>
>>44670468
Wow, you sound like an autistic faggot.

Congratulations, you impertinently throw you contrarian opinions at me, now get over yourself and quit being mad at videogames.
>>
>>44670260
>Although hopefully without the repetitive random encounters, holy fuck those things got old fast.
Yeah, I can agree 100% on that
>>
File: 1379971927613.jpg (73KB, 381x424px) Image search: [Google]
1379971927613.jpg
73KB, 381x424px
>>44670468
>>
>>44670468
I no rite? its just another overrated weeb SJW tumblr hipster meme. Anyone that likes this should just go back to reddit. Their taste matches there.
>>
>>44670660
>go back to reddit, shit taste
nice meme bro

now i have no played the game, but both TB and Yhatzee made it their GoTY so i wont belive it was that bad
>>
File: image.png (49KB, 150x174px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
49KB, 150x174px
>>44670697
>TB and Yahtzee
>not reddit as fuck
>>
Kotor 2 explained why the main character gains strength as he kills in a better way. It really isn't a revolutionary element in storytelling like a lot of undertale fans seem to think
>>
>>44670514
You sound autistic. Want a hug?
>>
>>44670697

The best way to enjoy Undertale is to ignore all the hue and cry around it, IMO. I played it and found that I couldn't enjoy the mechanics. They're really well designed, but I suck at bullet hell and making my way through the game became a slog. I watched it instead, and really appreciated the narrative and the way it used its awareness of its nature as a game to actually tell a story, rather than the usual cheeky poking the fourth wall such things usually resort to.

Most people can find something to enjoy in Undertale. You might not give a fuck about the characters and the story and just enjoy the mechanics and you know what? That's fine. Just ignore all the people praising it as the second coming and/or cursing it as the devil.
>>
File: 1382418407413.png (17KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1382418407413.png
17KB, 625x626px
>>44670660
>>
>>44670747

Given that TB despises reddit but speaks quite warmly of the chans?
>>
>>44670747
TB is one of the most influencial and by some regarded as one of the best game critics atm. Yhatzee is a imo very good story critic. Just because they have a following there dose not mean they are bad, if anyone it reddit tier it's jim sterling
>>
>>44670764
maybe ill give it a run when i finish MOTHERFUCKING DEUS EX: REVISION. Intill that time, every other game that is not Planescape torment is considered shit so i can enjoy it in peace
>>
>>44670819

Jim can be cringey at times but he does good work ripping the shit out of the awful crap that's continuously regurgitated onto Steam. Also he put me onto Pony Island, which is fucking great.
>>
File: CryMore.jpg (35KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
CryMore.jpg
35KB, 640x481px
>>44670514
>Badwrong Fun
>Disagreeing with you makes people fanboys
You're pretty fast to just assume someone who disagrees with you likes the game when you're really the problem anon. You do know people can have opinions on things that you don't share and that doesn't make them wrong?

>>44670554
>Having a living world with people the players can interact with is hard
Anon please, that's the basis of any game. All situations should have many resolutions dependant on the players and how they approach it, and you don't need to plan every aspect of it as you really just steer it. Mooks can be simplified into a small sheet of rolled stats most of the time and still provide memorable characters as long as you RP and Improvise correctly. The bosses need detailed characters yes, but that's no different than in a real campaign.

>>44670468
Gameplay is interesting enough but not extremely creative. It manages to keep people's attention with varied threats. It's decent but at can times become repetitive, though even games that are rated 10/10 can suffer from that. The game itself suffers from being stuffed with memes but that's something that many people can enjoy, look at the fanbase. The twist and meta-cognizance of the memes are interesting enough and help to make it tolerable. It's not stunning but it's not bad and what matters most, it was fun when I played it.
>>
For a genocide playthrough I'd pick whatever ttrpg struck my fancy at the moment.
For a pacifist game I'd use Golden Sky Stories and send the party off into the underdark to help solve monster problems.
>>
>>44670853
to be frank, half of that shit would die if he was not giving it such a spotlight. I listen to his podquisition and it's cringy as fuck, plus we are talking about a guy who talks about how he is "for the people" while at the same time beaing a nintendo shill
>>
>>44669894
You could run it before the main story happens as the humans that fell before frisk.

The difference would be:
1. PC characters rather than before-frisk characters like chara.
2. You would remove characters vital to the existing plot (papyrus, etc.) with your own unless you really think you can act them out well.
3. Finally, don't mention it is undertale. Just say their humans fell into an underworld. If they somehow pacifist that shit, cool. If its neutral you can always lead a similar neutral run to the actual game. if its goddamn genocide, then start crying while they kill every character you love. Either way the end goal is to escape.
>>
>>44669894
Being a passive-aggressive DM that portrays the goblins as arrogant bloodthirsty cunts trying to kill you when you try to be nice to them and didndonuffin innocent puppybabies when you kill them.
>>
Undertale should use Dogs in the Vineyard. Combat and diplomacy are done at the same time using different skills. It's mechanics and encounter design is about forcing escalation and preventing rash actions. I can't think of anything else that can do this as well.

Just use their setting but have the game about getting sucked into a sink hole and being forced to work with the demons or fight their way out.
>>
>>44670878
Gameplay is shitty, slow bullet hell or piss easy turn based combat. It's only interesting if you lack a brain.
>>
>>44670697
>if some faggot e-celebs like it, it can't be bad!
I guess that means Gone Home is GOTYAY, right?
>>
File: Pepe Cigar.png (67KB, 350x338px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Cigar.png
67KB, 350x338px
>>44671494
>slow bullet hell
Anon pls. They try a lot to vary it with each boss bringing something new to the formula and with a dash of plot being added in while merging the mechanics with the story.
>piss easy turn based combat
You have me there, the game isn't challenging like SMT or Persona, I played a pacifist run and so most enemies died in two turns and I could see how a genocide or mixed run could drag on

>>44671638
>People who have played a lot more games than most people and are payed to play games and write reviews should have their opinions discarded because they are famous
Not saying critics are right all the time, especially when it comes to vidya, but their opinions shouldn't be discarded because they're popular people. Their opinions need to be evaluated and checked against one's own perceptions and knowledge to come to a reasonable conclusion. Denying or accepting idea's based on where they come from rather than on their merit is a meme that needs to stop.
>>
>>44670447
I'd play this. I don't think I'd be able to GM it effectively, but I'd play it. Surrealism appeals to me.
>>
>>44670355
>>44670554
I think the key would be deciding if the game would try to capture the spirit of its source material, or also try to capture the MECHANICS of it.

A tabletop game that tries to ape Undertale's mechanics would probably be a mess. But you could absolutely run a game that captures the spirit and overall idea.
>>
>>44669894
Run it using Eoris, for the emotional tracks
>>
>>44669894
Doesn't work in tabletop format you dunce.
>>
>>44671924
>e-celebs
>playing games
Kek. They play like 5 mins and then just say what's popular. Yahtzee himself admits that he is shit at ganes, so why would I take his opinion on anything?
>>
>>44669982
>>44670163
>>44670288
>>44670468

Thank you for bringing me lulz on an otherwise mirthless night /tg/.
>>
>>44669894
It's almost impossible to do correctly, because the core concept of Undertale isn't your ability to use mercy, it's your ability to reset. Most tabletop games don't have those.

You could run something like it, but you have to create a world where a unique aspect of tabletop RPGs is integral to the story. Maybe something with leveling or dice rolls? It's hard to say.
>>
>>44669894
I wouldn't, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: AlrightBuddy.gif (2MB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
AlrightBuddy.gif
2MB, 300x290px
>>44672571
>You must be good at games to have an opinion on games
Oh boy, I guess those people who play tons of games and never take the time to perfect the techniques you need to be perfect at one of them cannot possibly have a valid opinion.
>>
File: photo-original.jpg (148KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
photo-original.jpg
148KB, 1536x1152px
Undertale is a boring, boring setting when you take out the videogamey meta stuff. It's a generic JRPG kingdom of wacky furry monsters, painfully generic on purpose. Stop trying to take it out of a videogame, it doesn't work any other way and it shouldn't. Unless you're playing with a bunch of diehard Undertale autists who are dying for some fanwank, it shouldn't be run at all, and if you are you should reconsider your choices in life.

I guess you could appropriate some ideas about meta insights and instead try to make a different setting that's all about aspects of tabletop gameplay like dice rolls. But it would require extreme mental effort and writing skill lest it come off as a cringefest wherein the fat neckbeard of a GM chuckles to himself while screaming "FOURTH WALL!" at the top of his lungs, "Rocks fall everyone dies! So self-conscious, dude!".

A better question is how would one run pic related?
>>
>>44674869
Give the players heroin whenever they use Joy in game?
>>
Ok, for the sake of argument what would you want out of an Undertale tabletop game? What is the goal?

Is it the setting? Peaceful negotiation through silly bullshit? Time and savestate fuckery?

I like the game and everything, but I have a heard time seeing why it should be translated to a pen and paper game let alone how.
>>
>>44670849
Revision is shit play GMDX
>>
>>44675125
OP just wants everyone know he liked Undertale.
>>
>>44671494
>played 5 minutes
While the game is largely a step above walking simulator, a genocide run has good fights. The point isn't that the mechanics are amazing, but that the rules don't matter.

If you went into Undertale expecting truly exceptional gameplay from a team of like 3 people making an indy JRPG, then the game flew over your stereotypical head.
>>
>>44674869
By making everyone cry
Because the combo mechanic is shit.

Did I do the right thing? ;_;
>>
File: 1452220609853.png (520KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1452220609853.png
520KB, 640x720px
>>44670021
It doesn't get any more obvious than Papyrus.
>>
File: friskani_by_ucantw1n-d9e9boq.gif (40KB, 138x194px) Image search: [Google]
friskani_by_ucantw1n-d9e9boq.gif
40KB, 138x194px
>>44670021
>set it in the underdark

Does, eh, drider have pusspuss?
>>
The dev was a Homestuck autist which is partially why the the fanbase is shit. The game could be played but it would be contrarian to Undertale itself.

I would do a genocide run where you get to kill all the monsters and possibly some humans and have finally be able to kill Chara as the true final boss by having enough L.O.V.E worthy of an Ultraviolence feat. If anything make it PvP to share the L.O.V.E.
>>
>>44670093

Everyone plays the same character then?
>>
>>44669894

1. Something OSR to emulate Undertale's retro JRPG vibe.

2. A similar subversion of murderhobo'ing via the mechanics and narrative, aimed at the player, though exactly how would I think depend a lot on exactly what OSR system is used.

3. Exploit unique position of tabletop over vidyas, especially the interpersonal interaction it provides. My current idea for this is by having CHARA be "someone from the last group I GM'd for and their PC is still in the world somewhere", as well as liberal use of GM notes.

4. Have a dog in the room at all times when we play.
>>
>>44674794
I wouldn't trust a hobo with no taste buds as a food critic
>>
>>44669894
I wouldn't. Undertale essentially could never be anything other than a pseudo-retro-JRPG, because it exists in a bath of RPG tropes and expectations. It is a game about RPG videogames, leaning on videogame mechanics and defying while acknowledging expectations based on it being a videogame.

Instead, I'd run something totally different based on tabletop RPG tropes. A lot of the concepts around monsters, XP, and murderhoboing could carry over with minimal translation, but to "run Undertale" in any way that wasn't awful you'd have to build everything else from the ground up to be a tabletop RPG about tabletop RPGs.

Also, absolutely none of the same characters or setting. It's not Undertale if it's not surprising.
>>
>>44677878
What's OSR?
>>
Good question OP, but is there a character that could even possibly EVEN TOUCH Madara Uchiha? Let alone defeat him. And I'm not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I'm not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I'm not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano'o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu. I’m also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyuseishu Futarime no Rikudo Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushodo, Shurado, Tendo, Ningendo, Jigokudo, Gakido, Gedo, Bansho Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sozo) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Futon, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yoton and even Onmyoton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai(capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujo because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudodama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudo Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kotan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu. I'm definitely NOT Talking about sagemode sage of the six paths Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Super Saiyan 4
>>
>>44669894
I wouldn't really. It's a great video game, but only really makes sense as a video game.
>>
>>44678806
Houserules for AD&D, from what I understand.
>>
File: 1449259062220.jpg (162KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1449259062220.jpg
162KB, 1000x1334px
>>44669894
Pretty simple. I play some music and then shit on my group with unkillable skeletons until they don't want to play anymore.
>>
>>44680729
What the fuck
>>
>>44680729
H'wat the hell, Bobbeh?
>>
>>44678806

Old School Revival, a whole weird RPG movement about reviving TSR-era D&D and games related to it, because they serve a particular game style that was lost sometime in the 90s and no longer supported anywhere.
It's more focused on Basic than AD&D, though, with a good helping of OD&D on the side. The general thread on /tg/ is pretty dope.
>>
>>44681118
>>44681184
Memes
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.