[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have puzzles gone too far?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

File: fqAGzUd.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
fqAGzUd.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Have puzzles gone too far?
>>
>>44643135
>No
That looks awesome. Someone actually considered some creative options for a puzzle and you immediately think they've gone too far?
>>
>>44643135
That looks like it would be fun
>>
File: neat bender.jpg (33KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
neat bender.jpg
33KB, 500x491px
>>44643135
>>
That puzzle looks like it's not as hard as it seems. You just have to arrange pieces by type, form the middle and corners, the edge of the circle, and work it out. Simple.
>>
>>44643135
Shouldn't there be a fancy picture on it?
>>
>>44643135
>Assburger_puzzle.jpg
>>
Is there any company that sells puzzles with pictures on them but the box (or whatever) doesn't tell you what the picture is?

That seems like it would be fun. It's somewhat more challenging and you get to slowly uncover a mystery.
>>
>>44643135
I like how you can just repost the frontpage of Reddit and everyone responds positively.
>>
>>44643659
Just have someone else buy it for you and not show you the box
>>
>>44643673
>implying 4chan doesn't secretly suck reddit's dick 24/7
>>
>>44643659
I kind of wonder it too. Isn't completing the puzzle when you already know the picture kind of pointless?
>>
>>44644014
>Reddit isn't the one sucking 4chan off

Why are boards like /int/ full of redditors imitating 4chan, then?
>>
>>44643673
4chan has been Reddit 2.0 for years.

Deal with it, gramps.
>>
>>44643673
I like that you instantly recognize that a picture was on the front page of Reddit.
>>
>>44644017

Are the statues of a sculptor made more noble if they are improvised?
>>
>>44644056
Just because reddit's been imitating 4chan doesn't mean 4chan does not have it's onw original culture.

You'd be suprirsed to know how different this place is from the rest of the web.
>>
>>44643673
One would have to monitor reddit to know that. Wouldn't that run counter to your anti reddit philosophy?
>>
>>44643135
Why are you posting this instead of the ridiculously huge puzzles that eat years of people's lives?
>>
>>44644017
>>44643983
>>44643659

There is a brand of jigsaw puzzles in the netherlands that does something like that. The box shows a cartoon of people reacting to something beyond the 4th wall, and the image on the puzzle being that thing.

They're called wasgij puzzles
>>
>>44644120
If by non-improvised ou mean made out of already existing pieces that can be put together in only one way using another, identical sculpture as a model then yes.
>>
>>44644323
I think he means if a sculptor works from an imagined scene, rather than something imitated from real life.

For example, would a sculpture of a god be more impressive than a sculpture of a real person for no other reason than the fact the real person actually exists, and thus is viewable in the flesh?
>>
File: uIxK1vx.jpg (140KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
uIxK1vx.jpg
140KB, 720x960px
>>44644218
>instead of the ridiculously huge puzzles that eat years of people's lives?

Better?
>>
>>44644470
I apply a small child/animal to this situation
>>
>>44644470
Do you think the puzzle is all she talks about?

"What did you do this weekend?"
"Worked on my puzzle."

"How are things going?"
"Great, my puzzle is 60% done."

"Haven't seen you in while. Want to get together after work?"
"Sure, you can come look at my puzzle."
>>
>>44643135
Mate, we had that shit in kindergaten, just with more parts and a bunch of colour.

Apparently my area of Germany is big on traditional games, I just never noticed because I went to school in a year of idiots.
>>
>>44644470
Yes.

Thank you.
>>
My favorite puzzle was published in 1985:

http://archives.obs-us.com/obs/english/books/holt/books/maze/direct.html
>>
>>44644557

She has a cat, if you look.
>>
>>44644470
>be me, 10 (at the time)
>try and put together 2,000 piece jigsaw puzzle
>found the corners
>fuckyeah.jpg
>suddenly look at the box
>see rest of picture
>see mound of remaining pieces
>all I've got are these fucking corners
>instantly anxious/unenthused
>give up puzzles
>12 years later, see this

Why must you remind me of my pain, /tg/?
>>
>>44644122
>Just because reddit's been imitating 4chan
Those days have long passed.

Half of the content that goes up on 4chan nowadays, especially the worksafe boards, goes up on Reddit first. Some shit is even taken directly from the Reddit frontpage, like this thread.
>>
>>44643659
I've seen some where they have a short story with the puzzle being a scene from the story
>>
>>44645346
Yeah, you could spend all this time putting down something that serves no real purpose aside of clogging your living room. You truly wasted your life.
>>
>>44643135

So, it uses shape instead of color to differentiate regions... What's the problem?
I'd rather work with shapes as a clue than colors any day. I haven't done a jigsaw puzzle in years, but this one is one that I'd be willing to actually sit down and do.
>>
File: image.jpg (196KB, 750x502px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196KB, 750x502px
>>44643135
No.
>>
>>44643342
Welcome to Redd-

...oh
>>
>>44643659
I don't know about puzzles with no picture on the box, but I have seen a puzzle that's just a blank white sheet cut into puzzle pieces. So, effectively no picture.
>>
File: shutUpAndTakeMyMoney.gif (579KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
shutUpAndTakeMyMoney.gif
579KB, 500x281px
>>44644470
>>
>>44646473
It's called hobby, things that people do just because they like doing it. It's main purpose is making life good.
>>
File: nokia.jpg (269KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
nokia.jpg
269KB, 1024x685px
>>44646473
and yet here you are, shitposting about puzzles
>>
>>44644470
Wow, the image is just awful
>>
>>44646473
>serves no real purpose

What is enjoyment?
>>
>>44643135

I would totally assemble that as a terrain piece. If the price is right anyway.
>>
>>44644470
oh my

when i was a child i put together 4 national geographic puzzles that merge together into a big picture like this (although much smaller), i even recognize some of the animal pics in there as being in the one i pieced together. the thing is, i found the puzzles a couple months ago but 5 or so pieces went missing somehow
I tried google and came up with nothing about them, dont know if there's any coding for these things anyway.

if there's anyone here who has/knows where i can find the original pics so i can remake the missing pieces i'll be eternally grateful.
>>
File: 585349-max_payne_face.jpg (63KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
585349-max_payne_face.jpg
63KB, 800x600px
>>44643659
You piece together the jigsaw puzzle, and the final picture is you finishing that same puzzle, a mad green eyed killer standing behind you.
>>
>>44657195
Is he cute?
>>
why
>>
>>44643135
Even as kids at daycare we used to flip the 500-1000 piece puzzle pieces over and assemble them with no image to reference.
This is no different
>>
>>44643673
I didn't know it was reposted from the front page of Reddit, because I don't fucking browse Reddit.

May I suggest you run back to r/4chan, and stop perpetuating stupid inter-site rivalries because you think it'll help you fit in with le epic internet haet machine?
>>
This would be too easy. Can arrange pieces roughly by curvature to make the spiral, and then it's only filling in a couple hundred more pieces.
>>
>>44643135

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
>>
>>44643135
Not even close. I've seen a version much like that before, but the pieces are double sided, there are no edges and it comes with 5 unnecessary pieces.
>>
>>44643659
Wasgij.
>>
>>44658213
>stupid inter-site rivalries

Boards that are full of redditors are shit-tier so people that bash on reddit here aren't as ill-intentioned as they seem.
>>
>>44644470
>n-no! where's the last piece?!
>>
>>44643135
I know a person who is really into puzzles especially large ones with images of classic art.
After he is done i guess he somehow glues the whole thing, frames it and puts on a wall.
>>
>>44643135
Reminds of that episode from Salute Your Shorts where they did the puzzle upside down.
>>
>>44643135
This doesn't seem that difficult. Someone gave us a puzzle once where all the pieces are the same shape, there's no border, and the picture is a huge school of goldfish. To top it all off, there's 5 extra pieces that don't actually fit in the puzzle
>>
The best puzzle concept was already described by Perec in La vie mode d'emploi (Life a User's Manual) :

Bartlebooth devises a plan that will both occupy the remainder of his life and spend his entire fortune. First, he spends 10 years learning to paint watercolors. Then, he embarks on a 20-year trip around the world, painting a watercolor of a different port roughly every two weeks for a total of 500 watercolors.

Bartlebooth then sends each painting back to France, where the paper is glued to a support board, and a carefully selected craftsman cuts it into a jigsaw puzzle. Upon his return, Bartlebooth spends his time solving each jigsaw, re-creating the scene.

Each finished puzzle is treated to re-bind the paper with a special solution. After the solution is applied, the wooden support is removed, and the painting is sent to the port where it was painted. Exactly 20 years to the day after it was painted, the painting is placed in a detergent solution until the colors dissolve, and the paper, blank except for the faint marks where it was cut and re-joined, is returned to Bartlebooth.

Ultimately, there would be nothing to show for 50 years of work: the project would leave absolutely no mark on the world. Unfortunately for Bartlebooth, Winckler's puzzles become increasingly difficult and Bartlebooth himself becomes blind. An art fanatic also intervenes in an attempt to stop Bartlebooth from destroying his art. Bartlebooth is forced to change his plans and have the watercolors burned in a furnace locally instead of couriered back to the sea, for fear of those involved in the task betraying him. By 1975, Bartlebooth is 16 months behind in his plans, and he dies while he is about to finish his 439th puzzle. Ironically, the last hole in the puzzle is in the shape of the letter X while the piece that he is holding is in the shape of the letter W.
>>
Is the puzzle completeable?
Yes?
Then it hasn't gone too far.
>>
>>44643135
>puzzles
>games
>>/po/
>>r9k/
>>/lgbt/
>>
It's okay. Try this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity_puzzle
>>
>>44644120

I'm sorry but putting puzzle pieces together in the one way they can possibly fit does not make you comparable to a sculptor, I'm glad you enjoy your hobbies but get some perspective.
>>
>>44643135
Nope.

>make a puzzle million piece puzzle.
>pieces come in packages of 1000, all of which are guaranteed to connect to another piece within the same package.
>completely blank faces.
>no corner or edge pieces
>numbers and arrows printed on the bottom faces that are the solution, but for play purposes, should not be viewed.
>after puzzle is completed, it must be glued together into a single piece, and then assembled into the larger meta puzzle.
That's how I would make a puzzle go too far.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.