[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Rare Pepe Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 26

File: this is not a pepe.jpg (179KB, 1280x892px) Image search: [Google]
this is not a pepe.jpg
179KB, 1280x892px
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How do you incorporate memes into your 5e game, /5eg/?
>>
>>44636671

>How do you incorporate memes into your 5e game, /5eg/?

Anyone who does this, is what is wrong with tabletop gaming today.

I cannot even say how sick I am of the "lolrandumb" shit from new players who come into games having read /tg/ screencaps and think they should have Sir Bearington-tier chuckles 24/7, and derail the game with shitty jokes and gimmick characters that turn the entire campaign into complete, puerile crap.

Having a character that "breaks the fourth wall" is not witty or inventive, it's an incentive to blow your brains against my basement wall with a 12 gauge.

Having a character who constantly makes Steven Universe references, or rage comic references, or references to ANYTHING that is not part of the D&D world, is annoying and unnacceptable behavior.

It needs to stop. Please do not encourage it further OP.
>>
File: meme.jpg (28KB, 403x195px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
28KB, 403x195px
>>44636788
I know it can be upsetting to not keep up with the times. Things you loved are being updated and changing, and getting used to games with memes can be a bit disconcerting. It's okay, anon. There are memes out there even you may love.
>>
So I got to thinking and a mountain dwarf rouge seems like a legit idea one could roll with, so I may make one in the near future. My only question is if mountain dwarves get shield proficiency.

Also, anyone else have any strange but workable character ideas?
>>
File: velocipepe.png (253KB, 786x715px) Image search: [Google]
velocipepe.png
253KB, 786x715px
>>44636870
Shields are their own category of equipment so no, just light and medium armor.
>>
So next weekend, me and my friends are having a get together and play d&d. Problem is, they have never played it, and probably don't know how it works. What do senpai?
>>
>>44636892
Run the starter adventure with the pregens and take it easy
>>
>>44636870
>My only question is if mountain dwarves get shield proficiency.
The PHB says mountain dwarves get Light and Medium armour proficiency for free.
>>
>>44636671
Bard BBEG whose plan is to write the world's catchiest song by whatever means possible, and get it stuck in the heads of everyone in existence. Then begins phase two.
>>
>>44636911
Thanks, but they know nothing about the freedom they have and everything they can do. I am the DM, but should I also put my character in and kind of guide them through it?
>>
>>44636892
Link them to the book in hopes that they'll read it. Realize they probably won't because no one does, then dedicate the first session to chargen and basic rules and concepts.
>>
>>44636956
Don't put in a character. Let them make characters and seek out how shit goes. I'd recommend printing out some of the pregens that Wizards provides and offer them. "Who wants to be a wizard? Who wants to be a fighter?" that sort of thing.
>>
>>44636956
>should I also put my character in and kind of guide them through it?
No. Absolutely not. Get a hold of B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess (green cover version), the first few room descriptions give the players choices at the end, and then the module turns the players loose in the palace.
>>
>>44636984
>>44636985
Okay thanks for the advice.
>>
>>44636956
Are they video game players? Stuff like WoW or whatever? They see all those environmental objects like crates, hooks, and torches and shit they can never interact with?

tell them they can now
>>
>>44637051
Yes!!!! This was my exact problem! Will tell them!
>>
File: peter-molyneux.jpg (74KB, 463x372px) Image search: [Google]
peter-molyneux.jpg
74KB, 463x372px
>>44637051
>>44637069
Yes, tell them that it is as though Molyneux finally made a game in which "You REALLY can do ANYTHING".
>>
>>44637069

And some advice for being the DM, especially a first time one, is to just relax, and try to take it slow and enjoy it. The biggest mistake I made starting out was feeling I had to rush to set the next stuff up, and keep the narrative or combat rolling constantly. Don't be afraid to take sometime to think of an appropriate response an NPC might make or write CLEARLY down the initiative order or any notes. Smooth is better than fast.

First time is always rough and spotchy, but you'll learn from it. Good luck mate. You'll have a blast.
>>
Is it just me or was the Sorcerer nerfed in the errata?
>>
>>44636956
The starter adventure is specifically geared towards everyone being new. Seriously, look at it. Read it. It has places where it suggests to prompt your players if they're struggling. You don't need to worry so much, the starter adventure really is geared towards people fresh into DnD.
>>
Can someone tell me what book Bladesingers are in?
>>
>>44637335
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's in the Mega.
>>
File: Bardlife.jpg (107KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
Bardlife.jpg
107KB, 800x532px
I've always wanted to shoehorn Shadowruns Initiative system into DnD to see if it makes for fun/fast gameplay. Any experiences/thoughts?

If you don't know how that works
- Roll initiative
- tally them all up
- everybody takes their goes
- -10 from everyones initiative, those still positive get to act again in order.
- rinse repeat until nobody can act
- reset
>>
What are peoples' thoughts on the "monster with a heart of gold" PC?

I love goblins and kobolds as monsters with their own special place in the world, but because of that they make poor PC races unless your party and DM are willing to work with the challenges they bring to the table.
>>
>>44637348
It'd fuck up the action economy because the game isn't balanced for it.

do it anyways
>>
>>44636788

I'm with Salty on this one, 100%

>>44636815
Shut up, faggot.
>>
>>44637343

Thank ye, kind anon
>>
>>44637349
With a heart of gold? I rarely see that. I do often see "monster wanting fame and fortune" and "monster wanting to prove themself to the tribe" and so on.

If it fits the setting, I'm all for it, especially if the societal view of them is played up (like how in my homebrew campaign, the tiefling and half-orc characters often get a lot of weird looks and outright racist shit happening to them).
>>
>>44636870

I played a mountain dwarf rogue my last run through HotDQ. That handaxe is extremely powerful with sneak attack, friend.

Also, if you're playing your rogue with a shield, I'm not sure you understand what the rogue is about.
>>
File: anipepe.jpg (70KB, 1631x1571px) Image search: [Google]
anipepe.jpg
70KB, 1631x1571px
>>44637374
No need to me an angry frog, anon.
>>
>>44637405

lol nice :^)

so dank

we should vape sometime.
>>
>>44636671
How many reactions can your character have? Say one monster does something that allows a reaction, the character takes it. then another does something else that allows a different reaction, can he take that one as well?
>>
>>44637418
You get one reaction per round, getting it back at the beginning of each turn. There is no way to get around this.
>>
>>44637418

You get one reaction per round. If you use your reaction, you can't use it again until the next round.

Therefore you only get to react on the first monster.
>>
>>44637401
I was thinking swashbuckler mountain dwarf rouge would be solid. But apparently they don't get shield proficiency so oh well.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.
>>
Trying to stat an opponent for a game I'm running for a bunch of new players and I'm not sure how to go about it. He's a bard, who is controlling swarms of regular size and giant rats via his music, and is mind controlling the children of a village, kidnapping them pied piper style. I also want him to be able form a Rat King around himself to attack the players with too. Also trying to think of different ways make the rats more interesting. any ideas? I've already looked at the rat swarm and giant rat stats from the monster manual.
>>
>>44637418
One, unless specified elsewhere, like a hydra.
>>
>>44637393
See I like that. I know race shouldn't be the biggest defining trait for a character, but it should definitely play a part in how they interact with the world and vice versa.

We have a bit of an issue with that in my group..the DM doesn't really commit to the whole social outcast thing..we get all kinds of wacky races in my party
>>
>>44637348

Won't that cause dex-based characters to suddenly shit all over everything else?
>>
>>44637447

Swashbuckler is built for two hands. Again, I definitely think you should look at handaxes, even if just for the off-hand. I crit one when I was at the 3rd level and cranked out 18 DAM + dex.

It can really wreck.
>>
>>44637348
This would make Dex even more of the best stat in the game and just slow down single rounds. It would break combat pretty much entirely and probably not be very fast.

If you're going to have initiative rerolled every round, just use the initiative variant in the DMG.
>>
>>44637480
I don't think you can use your dex on handaxes. I probably will still stick with swashbuckler and go dual wield or something.
>>
>>44636892
ok before the session contact most of them on skype or in person and make characters, explain what they can do. This way you don't have to waste too much time making characters at the actual session.

Next, start them at level 3 so they can have fun with some abilities and not just do level one bullshit the whole time and get bored.

Finally, write an easy ass one shot to get them into the feel of things, make it easy, if you're a good storyteller shoot for a 4 hour session, if not just get something simple going, I did it literally last night with 3 new players and one of my good buddies who's not afraid to get into character to break the roleplay ice. Don't make it awkward, get them to act without feeling weird and everything will go perfectly, don't forget to have combat start near the beginning because who the fuck likes 30 minutes of roleplay on their first session ever.

kill some shit, roleplay, explore, kill some shit, explore, roleplay, kill some shit, explore, kill the big bad shit, end quest.
>>
>>44637539

Can't you use Dex or STR for thrown weapons?
>>
>>44637555
Not unless they have the Finesse property, no.

Handaxes, incidentally, do not.
>>
>>44637432
>>44637439
>>44637460

Thanks, what I thought. The issue had to do with Defensive Duelist and that shield style that lets you use reaction to grant disadvantage.
>>
>>44636671
Alright, I have a question for all of y'all.

I have a TN cleric of the Death Domain who's god is LN, can still use spells like CLW and other healing spells?

That particular god is the Sheppard of the lost and wayward souls and the guardian of the afterlife, she brings the souls who were devoted to the gods of the setting's pantheon to their god's chosen afterlife and those that didn't worship or lost their faith she takes with her with her own worshipers. She is also in charge of measuring the souls so that the evil souls are cast out of heaven into hell
>>
>>44637600
Yes, you can still cast wounds. There's a billion and one ways to fluff reasoning, but they ultimately don't matter, whether you're simply easing the suffering of the living or that you're not actually messing with death, just with the wounds of mortals.
>>
>>44637555
Unfortunately no.

On a side note I'm at work atm so I don't have my book on me. What weapons are allowed to be used with sneak attack again? I know finesse and ranged weapons are allowed but are light weapons also allowed?
>>
>>44637650
Just finesse and ranged.
>>
how would you do a low magic campaign, /5eg/?
>>
>>44636671
Dear OP.

Eat a dick, and fuck off.
>>
File: 1438142897389.jpg (165KB, 600x785px) Image search: [Google]
1438142897389.jpg
165KB, 600x785px
Is way of the Sun Soul any good? It looks decent on paper, if a bit simple.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
>>44637731
I'm sorry that you can't handle these fine memes in your fantasy RPGs, anon.
>>
>>44637756
It's a monk with ranged and AoE options.

It's solid for what it does, basically what Four Elements kind of wanted to do but definitely more cohesive in mechanics and fluff.
>>
>>44637792

It also has some sick visuals, you're basically a shoto from Street Fighter.
>>
>>44637756
My groups sun monk does some fine work. The fact that they can stay at range is Good for their safety. They are a fair bit squishy after all.
>>
>>44637792
>>44637807

Any idea how to optimize one?
>>
>>44637683
Very few magic items, very few magic-using NPCs. PC casters are exceptional and have word spread about them, for better or worse.
>>
>>44637683
With barbarian, fighter, rogue, and UA there's a lot of options. With HP recovery it is completely fair as long as you don't throw a lot of immunities at them.
>>
>>44637821
Pump Dex and Wis, maybe an emphasis on Wis vs. Dex to get those saving throw DCs and spell attack bonuses up more quickly.
>>
>>44637821
Basically max dex and wis is the main thing. Magic initiate to get hex would work grand for your damage output. Outside of that I have no suggestions atm because I have not played monk that much.
>>
Barbarian 2/Eldritch Knight X; does this work? I was told to grab Barbarian 3 for Bear Totem, but Raging gets in the way of spellcasting.
>>
>>44638479
>but Raging gets in the way of spellcasting.
I don't know what you are expecting to work.
>>
>>44638479
I would advise just going full EK. The benefits of rage don't work in heavy armor so unless you were going to be a Dex fighter it probably won't work out.
>>
Does a Dex build work for a Paladin?
I was reading the book and it recommends strength as your main stat but I didn't actually see anything baked into the class features requiring it, of course I could have missed something.

I had some ideas about playing a halfling paladin and it seems like Dexterity would be a better way to go than Strength considering the racial bonuses and inability to use heavy weapons.
>>
>>44638720
the big things are that you can't smite with ranged weapons and that you have heavy armor prof.
>>
>>44638720
There's nothing really stopping you from going Dex, other than the obvious locking you out of 2-handed weapons and lances. Lances can be pretty good for a paladin since they get a superior mount, though it's usually a good idea to ask your DM how they interpret the paladin's smart mount and mounted combat, and see if they'll give you better mounts than the default options at later levels.

If you don't care about mounted combat or 2-handed weapons and are fine with a rapier + shield then yeah, nothing stopping you from going Dexterity.
>>
>>44638745
>>44638756

Yeah I was thinking Rapier&Shield.
I really like the character concept I came up with, so I'm willing to go less than completely optimal as long as I'm not completely gimping myself.
>>
>>44638793
Rapier and shield will work just fine. Your ac will be slightly lower but it's a negligible factor. Tbh you will have an initiative boost and a minor boost on dex saves so that's a good plus to dex Paladians.
>>
Does Tunnel Fighter, Sentinel/Polearm Master, and War Caster work together? Could an Eldritch Knight in the Tunnel Fighter stance make make more than one OA when using War Caster's ability to use a cantrip?
>>
How good is the damage on a Half-Orc Barbarian X/Champion 3?
>>
>>44637401
Rogue with shield is sex.
>>
>>44638859
Also since you wont have disadvantage on stealth checks 24/7 you could get proficiency in stealth from your background and sneak around with your rogue buddy.
>>
>>44637832
>>44637683
This, this right here is how you do it. Have your spell casting PCs be something very special. Have NPCs are suspicious of or amazed by their arcane craft. Maybe they are hunted down by magic-fearing inquisitors or are able to easily persuade others by showing their arcane abilities.
>>
>>44637683
Emphasize more material elements, such as alchemy, martial healing kits, other artisan trades making useful stuff available for adventuring. Encourage if not enforce the party to pick pure Martial Classes.

I'd set in a place that has few if any magicians, where something beyond a Cantrip is wondrous (and frightening). Perhaps the town suffered some big travesty related to magic users quite a long time ago and henceforth outlawed most spellcasting, trusting only the local clerics (who have a couple various casters in their employ).

As a result, they've become so distanced from magic that knowledge of it is non-existent among the citizens. If any casters in the party start making some noise with higher level magic, some citizens will see it as wondrous things and just assume it is divine activity, while fearful citizens will react negatively if they find out about it. The local Clerics may turn on the sirens and pull the party over to ask them how arcane they were going.

However in lieu of magic, the people have become significantly more industrious and their crafts are a tick higher in quality and effectiveness than what you'd find elsewhere. They've effectively cultivated more rare alchemical components and being a more in-land territory, are sitting on top of a rich ore vein that doesn't get a lot of outsider prospectors. As a major export kingdom that has the benefit of a river to get their stuff out without the hustle and bustle of a shore-side city, their own markets are quite competitive. Buy one Healing Potion, get one free.
>>
>>44636671
>alchemist tries to melt steel door with alchemists fire
>alchemists fire can't melt steel doors

But a freezing ray from the party sorc sure can make it brittle enough for the party barbarian to break it.
>>
Why is Oath of Devotion capstone so shitty
>>
So I am new to table top gaming. My little bro is begging me to be in a campaign with him, so I am doing it for bonding purposes and because I love the idea of this stuff. Is it possible to have a player npc? Basically I want to have a rich brat and a mercenary hours to protect him as my character, but I realized that it may require special ruling from the gm/require more than one character sheet to work out.

Is it common enough for me to bring it up to random gm anon who has been doing this less than a year?
>>
>>44640110
The best thing I can think of is the retainers you can get from the variant noble background, but that's more like servants who won't go into combat. You could talk to the dnd about refluffing that so you could have a bratty noble who is the one who pays you for your work. They would not need stats because they will refuse to go into danger under most circumstances. If you need stats you could grab the nobleman stats from the DMG.
>>
>>44640233
Talk to the DM*
>>
>>44640233
That makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>44640110
You could just be a normal PC
>>
>>44640355
but hes too speshul
>>
Wait, is Charger feat good for classes with single attacks like Rogue or Cleric
>>
>>44640488
no there are better feats
>>
I'm going to be playing in a 2 player campaign.
The other player is set on playing a ranger.

I really wanted to try a storm sorcerer but I was wondering if things would get too hard with 2 characters that would prefer staying at range, should I stick with a sorc or finally try out an eldritch knight ?
>>
>>44640666
Firstly: play whatever you want Satan

Next, when you've only two players, you're going to have to use non-combat means to solve more and more encounters unless your DM specifically pitches combat encounters to your capabilities. You're also going to have to avoid more and more encounters due to lack of proper skills or firepower. Try to at least ensure that you both have decent Stealth and social skills.

Also note that the only detriments ranged characters suffer in melee are being more squishy (which can be mitigated by having a high AC, having defensive features and spells like Shield, and having some amount of healing to spare whenever possible) and suffering disadvantage on ranged attack rolls (which can be mitigated with feats and features like Crossbow Expert and Close Combat Shooter, or taking an appropriate spell selection revolving around saves instead of attack rolls).

Be sure that your friend is also aware of this, and builds to match. Are you entirely sure he's playing a ranged Ranger instead of a melee Ranger?
>>
File: gunslinger1.jpg (284KB, 1155x794px) Image search: [Google]
gunslinger1.jpg
284KB, 1155x794px
So how do you use firearms in your D&D 5e games? What about gunslingers? Do you use the DMG stats for guns or use something else?

I know Matthew Mercer from Critical Role released his iteration of the gunslinger but I'm not sure I'd use it since it's a fighter archetype, not its own thing.
>>
>>44636671
>how do I incorporate memes into your 5e game

Occasionally a player will do something earnestly that bears a passing resemblance to a meme.

Either I, or another player may choose to comment on this. If we do, roll 1d20+the commenting player's real charisma modifier to see what the reaction is. DC increases with how unknown the meme is.

On a success, everyone laughs a bit, then moves on, quickly forgetting it happened.

On a pass, some people scratch their heads, then move on, quickly forgetting it happened.
>>
>>44640790
Matt Mercer's archetype is solid work as always, the only 5e campaign I've played in where somebody used gunslinger basically used variations of it and built a class around it... its not overly hard to balance it as a base and work two archetypes around it, just a bit of a pain especially if the DM vetos it
>>
>>44640790
My campaign takes place in a setting with a 1500s tech level, so matchlock and wheellock guns are used and somewhat common in certain regions. I also have a custom feat, Firearms Expert, which is just like crossbow expert but for firearms. The renaissance firearms in the DMG are just fine I think, more powerful than bows / crossbows buy way less range. Also a musketeer fighter with pistol / musket and a rapier and buckler is pretty cool, maybe when my forever DM status gets revoked...
>>
>>44640790
I treat the guns themselves like wands. A musket would have 1 charge and require an action to reload, while a weapon equipped with cartridges or magazines would have more charges and can be reloaded as a bonus action.

I'm not really a fan of the Gunslinger class as it's been presented in homebrews: requiring a separate proficiency for firearms exclusive to one class option smacks of lazy, snowflake-oriented design. I just put them variously under simple and martial ranged weapons with the Gonne quality.

They're really popular in the central regions of my setting, so they're not much of a leg-up on anybody.
>>
>>44636671
In our homebrew world, a bard discovered resonant volcanic rocks that conducted magic well, especially musical magic. Every bard started using them instead of instruments. We found an overweight bard in a tavern one time who was watching a stone player on stage. He said, "back in the second era people used real instruments, now a days theres no true bards. I was born in the wrong era"

We told him to fuck off and he left after giving the barmaid a copper and tipping his feathered cap at her

I Called my DM a piece of shit after that one
>>
>>44636788
Grandpa, you forgot to take your meds again.
>>
File: warforged strategist.png (439KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
warforged strategist.png
439KB, 544x544px
What are your guys favorite adventurer's league modules?
>>
>>44640790
>Do you use the DMG stats for guns or use something else?

Literally no one has ever used these because they are terrible in every edition.

Musket should deal 2d8 and deal +2d8 on a critical instead of +1d8. They should take a full round action to reload.... realistically, more, but this isn't realism.

There. Now you have a weapon on par with actual bows and arrows.

If you don't play this way you might as well not include muskets or guns at all because you are just making them unrealistically shitty options.

> inb4 ben franklin wanting to use longbows
>>
>>44641830
I don't think anyone's gonna hit you on the Franklin thing.

Beloved as he is, he was a crazy old fuck
>>
>have darkvision 120'
>enemies see you before you can see them in total darkness
fucking how?
>>
How useful would the following bladelock invocation be? Would require level 5.
> you may summon your pact weapon as a bonus action. When you take damage from a melee weapon or spell attack and are armed with your pact weapon, you can use your reaction to make a single melee weapon attack with your pact weapon against the attacker.
>>
>>44642062
If it's a ranged spell how do you attack him back? do you teleport to his position?
>>
>>44642062
You need to word that better because whips and thornwhip
>>
>>44642176
Implication was melee weapon or melee spell attack, but I'll fix it.

>>44642237
I don't think so; the intent is that it's elective. You don't have to spend your reaction, and if you can't reach the enemy, you can't make the attack anyway.

I pretty commonly see bladelocks go Dex/Whip anyway, so it's not like it would be impossible or even rare to counter.
>>
>>44642272
>melee spell attack
Thorn Whip has 30' range and is still melee spell attack
>>
>>44642329
I understand that. You don't automatically get to attack who attacked you; you have the option to do so if you're in melee range.

The complaint in getting from my players about bladelock is that they wish they had more front-line efficacy. I'm not making invocations that are meant to be auto-take, i'm just trying to make them more efficacious at melee range. If they really want to hit the Druid hitting them with vines, they've got an eldritch blast for that.

Or, get this, a move speed.
>>
>>44642062
Would pick, though retaliation (berserker's feature) doesn't appear till 14th level
>>
>>44642381
Thanks for pointing that out; would you split the invocation or just make the level requirement higher?

The balancing factor might be that you get so few invocations at level 5, but even so.
>>
So based on the UA Mystic, what sort of disciplines should a Psychic Warrior have? I went ahead and took the three from Way of the Immortal, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any others.
>>
>>44642368
The bladelocks problem is that his features are horseshit compared to chain's and tome's, whoopty doo, you got an extra attack, nice, but now with GFB and BB that's useless because you're going to spam those like crazy.

Only those who minmax hard to get PM, GWM, high Str and Cha might surpass GFB or BB, but you need to minmax hard and your low defense is gonna show.

Your invocation is an improvement, might pick if I were a bladelock.
>>
>>44642425
At 5th level you can grab that invocation and change one of your old ones into thirsting blade, so you now have 3-ish attacks per turn, 4 if you have polearm master, sounds neato. Makes me want to try it, dunno about balance with other meleers though.
>>
Will be running a 5e campaign in the summer where it's the 80's and the PCs are miami police on a special task force made to investigate supernatural cases

Gimme some neat case ideas? In the oneoff I did for them over christmas I had them investigate a drug smuggling ring that was using magic to make their crates invisible, in order to hide them among ones containing legal goods.

I plan to move them onto longer cases that actually require them to do investigative work, with crimes-in-progress as random encounters.
>>
>>44642425
I was just saying, is not like berserker is super good, it's actually pretty meh, and now totem has extra attack always forever at certain level making frenzy ubershit
>>
>>44642472
Everything needs in-situ testing. None of my players will be able to use it in the campaign until we've played it in one of our testing sessions.

I'll be sure to throw berserker in there and see how they compare. I didn't mean to give them the berz capstone at level 5, so I'm already rethinking this. Will maybe give a lesser version.
>>
>>44642425
Consider that, with that Invocation, Warlock 5 becomes competitive (possibly favorably so) with Fighter 5 for Rogues looking to get Extra Attack.

Similarly, Paladins now have even more reason to multiclass Warlock.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just pointing out the interactions.
>>
>>44642512
Personally, i'd look to stuff like the Dresden Files for inspiration. Especially the "black cat" stuff. Like, murders that the body is found exsanguinated and no one will investigate it properly.

Also, D&D is pretty unsuited to modern-theme campaigns.
>>
>>44642602
>Warlock 5 becomes competitive (possibly favorably so) with Fighter 5 for Rogues looking to get Extra Attack.
Better than fighter, you deal sneak attack on retaliations
>>
In my game I made bladepack give you weapon as bonus action and also medium armor proficiency, reduces a little the MAD
>>
>>44642602
I think both classes give up too much by dipping 5 levels for something that only kicks when you take damage, especially Pally.

It is still literally the berzerker's l14 feature. The only limit is that it has to be with your pact weapon, which isn't really a limit: if you're a bladelock, you've summoned your weapon. Especially if you can do so as a bonus action.
>>
>>44642630
>Better than fighter, you deal sneak attack on retaliations
That's not how sneak attack works.
>>
>>44642669
Sneak attack is once per turn
Enemy attacks you, in his turn, you attack him back, and you can add sneak attack

You think is once a round, it's not, is once a turn
>>
>>44642686
If you have advantage.

Consult ye tome, pleb.
>>
>>44642630
That was my point. Contrarily, Fighter has the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style and other features that you can use to improve your actual attacks, like Improved Critical or the various Maneuvers.

Certainly, Fighter would still remain the forerunner for ranged Rogues unless your DM is retarded and permits the Ambuscade Ranger.
>>
>>44642686
Assuming you met the requirements for sneak attack, adyacent ally or advantage.
>>
>>44642703
Or a friendly within 5ft of the target which is usually the easiest way to get sneak attacks.
>>
>>44642703.
Or ally next to you and your target

Interpret the book, retard.
>>
>>44642737
Point is that it's not automatic.

Anon said he's rethinking it anyway. I know I probably would, but then again I'd probably take the invocation of it were available.
>>
You're forgetting that barbarian has s/p/b resistance, d12, reckless attack and other stuff that makes retaliation better for him.

Warlock has shitty AC and d8, sure, retaliate is nice for any meleer, but warlock doesn't want to get hit as much as a barbarian wants.
>>
>>44642638
Bladelocks tend to either have full Dex, or their first level in Fighter and no Dex at all. So why medium armor, specifically? Why not heavy armor, perhaps with an Invocation so there is an opportunity cost?
>>
>>44642748
>>44642737
>>44642703
>>44642686
>>44642669
>>44642630
Invocation anon here. Found my rewording, thanks guys:
> you can use your reaction to make a single melee weapon attack using your pact weapon against the attacker. You have disadvantage on this attack roll.

Sure, there are ways to buff away disadvantage, but this at least might scare the roguemunches away.
>>
>>44642761
All that was said is that it is possible to sneak attack on retaliation, you are the only person saying stuff about it automatically happening.
>>
>>44642805
Not him but MC is a variant rule, making a subclass worthless unless variant rules seems bad game design
>>
>friend recommends me to take a look at the playtests
>literally every martial and halfmartial got their damage boosted, plus feats, fuck, even casters, except monks
>not only that, monks got their damage nerfed
Wut?
>>
>>44643004
Monks don't belong in a standard fantasy setting so that's good in my book.
>>
>>44642612
I'm aware, but I picked it for it's simplicity and ease of learning really. I'd rather play by ear a little and just handwave x as y rather than make them learn a more complicated system; they don't exactly have the greatest attention span, and I wanted to hook them with something out of the ordinary straight away.
>>
>>44643049
www.niceme.me
>>
>>44642806
That just makes the Invocation suck, though, because you're now spending your reaction on an attack that's unlikely to hit.

Meanwhile, paladins can still Smite, because they're likely to have Oath of Enmity or Sacred Weapon up, though you don't seem to care particularly about that.

The fact that Warlock becomes competitive with Fighter for this purpose isn't necessarily a bad thing - after all, even if you dick over Warlock, all the Rogues will just go back to Fighter.
>>
>>44642865
My point was rather that Bladelocks tend to have either full Dex or none of it, so why go halfway and give them an armor proficiency that rewards having some Dex but not too much? Why not instead give them the armor they would rather have, but make them pay for it in Invocations?
>>
>>44643172
You've raised an interesting point, so I'm going to go back to the original version.

The point you've raised is "I, as DM, don't give a fuck about your meticulously-engineered multiclass shitshow."

I'm raising the level requirement to 7. Thanks, Senpai.
>>
>>44638793
Get Rogue 3 or 4 after paladin 8. Assassinate + Divine smite is fucking badass.
>>
>>44643252
This seems a reasonable solution. I'd probably not have thought of it myself either. But by raising the level requirement, you delay their Rogue progression, forcing them to choose between dealing more damage (not to mention the rest of their Rogue features) and dealing damage more often. And, hell, this works as a deterrent for Paladins as well.

Meanwhile, the Bladelocks that would have gone all the way up to Warlock 12 anyway still get a damage bump between the previous important levels of 5 and 12.

Good show, anon.
>>
>>44643223
>>44642805
Not him, but:

I personally wouldn't grant armor proficiency via invocation anyway. I'd probably either follow the example of the PoB feature and let you manifest armor of your choice and gain proficiency in only that armor, or I'd make Armor of Shadows more powerful and restrict it to bladelocks.
>>
File: 1445033821255.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1445033821255.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
Goyims, the barbarian fellow here ogre again:

I've taken notice thanks to my DM, that while I'm not posing a problem for the group, I don't really apport anything to the story on the game itself, other than my background and an encounter intown that confirmed some of our suspicions on a NPC, but got a few of our party members a bad reputation there.

Aside from being a bloodthirsty for glory meatmass in battle and protecting my allies, outside the battles I'm pretty much a minor character. But I literally have no idea about affecting the story positively on this character, since I've only played Charisma-based characters before. I mean, the rest of the party does already do enough to keep the story going, but I fear that if I do try to add myself into the story, I might end up messing up and making things harder. The group assured me it's fine, but I'd still feel bad.

What could I do, then, to comply and make my presence with the group and the DM more enjoyable by RPing my barbarian and adding story to the adventure? I admit, I'm not very imaginative and the silent type of fellow outside the games.
>>
>>44643348
>follow the example of the PoB feature
This actually makes some sense, but I disagree with choice of armor and automatic proficiency with it unless it were fairly high in level.

Like 9.
>>
What do you do when a player wants to attempt an action that has no baked-in downside or limit on number of attempts?

Forego rolling altogether? Invent some contrived downside to failure?

This happens a lot with assists too, because it seems like characters should be assisting with literally every non-combat action-.
>>
>>44643450
They take 10.
>>
>>44643422
Are you having fun? Is your party having fun? Is your DM having fun?

If the answer to these three questions are all yes, then you have nothing to worry about.

That said, it appears that the problem here is that, despite your party being perfectly fine with your current playstyle, your DM is worried that you're not engaged enough with your current character.

Either assure him that you're fine playing a character with a somewhat more secondary narrative role, or else have a talk with him in order to work your character's history more closely into the plot.
>>
>>44643450
Don't roll if there is no downside. No one can help you if there's no downside to doing it solo. Only roll if they're in a hurry, then they can lose something, time.
>>
>>44643518
I assumed that was omitted from 5e for reason.
>>
>>44643569
We already did have the chat. I assured him I was completely fine. However, I do want to have somewhat more of a secondary role. Heck, my party doesn't even know my barbarian's name, and I'm dying to tell them, yet I cannot just bluntly say it, since my barbarian doesn't deem it necesary as long as it's not needed; My party would only have to ask for my name.

It's kind of a similar situation with everything else; I have a decent charisma, wisdom, and intelligence, despite being a barbarian, but I cannot talk nice and polite like I'd do if it were myself. I was thinking on something like engaging on talks with the blacksmith regarding weapons to fell your foes or going intown openly wihout caring about reputation and see what happens.
>>
>>44643700
Sounds like a case of "My Guy" Syndrome, to be honest.
>>
File: bloodlust meier link.gif (2MB, 540x291px) Image search: [Google]
bloodlust meier link.gif
2MB, 540x291px
Trying to come up with a level 6 feature for a homebrew class but I'm having difficulty. I want some kind of Intelligence-based "roll an Int skill, get a short benefit" type deal but everything I try to write in that way comes out way too complicated -- "roll a different Intelligence skill based on the enemy's type" complicated. The ability's name is supposed to be Heretical Knowledge so I might focus it on Intelligence (Arcana) and limit it to getting advantage on saves against spells for a round or two, with a short rest to use it again.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>44643756
Just googled it to know what was that thing. Any suggestion on how to get over it wihout trampling on metagame?
>>
Anyone have some interesting/fun ideas for a character? Starting a new campaign and the Dm has said he's only allowing the most basic races (elves, dwarves, humans). I'm not so creative but I'd like to play something kind of interesting but I'm afraid it would be too generic with just these choices. Any suggestions?
>>
>>44643836
I'm torn between being helpful and asking what the class is supposed to be and being a dick and making up some stupid feature that you'll reject out of hand.
>>
What are some red herrings my PCs can come across while searching for a stolen statue in a large city? The statue is medium, humanoid, and quite heavy. They will essentially have a list of locations to check and will go from place to place looking for clues.

An example would be something like
>You enter the armorsmiths shop but no one is at the counter. You get a glimpse into the back room and see a human shaped object covered by a cloth.
>Removing the cloth, you find a brand new set of armor
>>
>>44643989
>marble dust on the ground
>unexpectedly empty warehouses
>city declares an (ENTIRELY unrelated) moratorium on exports from the city
>renowned local sculptor suddenly retires
>crime syndicate busted for art theft
>large, major building closed to all citizens for renovations, covered in tarps and boards
>>
>>44643925
Please no bully
>>
>>44643450
I usually just say "you _______(action) until ________(desired outcome) happens."

Obviously it is up to you to determine what the actual outcome is or if anything happens in the meantime. Sometimes I'll have patrolling guards stop by to check out the noise, etc.
>>
>>44643989
It's the cities annual sculptors festival, and one district of the city has been set out to hold the festivities.
The streets there are lined with people displaying finished statues as well as people making their own, mostly amateurs and families who spend a little every year on stone to join in the festival. As a result too, the areas of the city near that often have people moving stone and statues around, so there's lots of opportunities for them to spot something that might be the one they're after. Additionally, people are vary wary of their work being stolen during the festival, so they might be very protective of statues the PC's want to get a look at.
>>
>>44644103
Well, you still haven't said what the class is supposed to be, so I don't know what else it's got going on. All I know it's that there's some sort of forbidden knowledge bent here. I have no recourse but to be a shithead.

> at level 6, you call upon heretical knowledge, gaining proficiency in a skill of your choice for a number of hours equal to your intelligence mod. While you benefit from this feature, you look spooky, and clergy, knights, and inquisitors are driven to destroy you. You are vulnerable to fire damage for the duration. This feature cannot be ended early.
>>
>>44644202
thanks
>>
>>44643836
Could keep it simple; Int (Arcana) vs. a DC based on the monsters CR, that gives you Advantage on Saving Throws against any supernatural abilities or spells it has.
I'd say a few rounds duration, or maybe concentration?
>>
What class or subclass would you add to 5e?
>>
>>44644344
An Alchemist subclass for the Rogue. Focuses on using poisons or alchemical mixtures + thrown weapons.
>>
File: Absolutely disgusting.jpg (29KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely disgusting.jpg
29KB, 360x480px
>>44636671
This image is fucking stupid.

It *is* a pepe. This is because a pepe is defined as a fucking drawn image. Unlike a pipe, which is a real, tactile *thing*. It just completely misses the damn point.
>>
>>44644467
What
>>
>>44644452
> Alchemist
> Rogue
> Thrown weapons
Anon has no idea what an Alchemist is.
>>
>>44636671
Has anyone actually used any of the homebrew in the pastebin?
>>
>>44644500
The point of OP's image (the original one, with the pipe instead of the pepe) is that it *isn't* a pipe. It's a drawing of a pipe. But a pepe is a drawing to begin with. So it obviously *is* a pepe.
>>
>>44644467
Holy shit, thank you.

I was about to come in and drop some knowledge about The Treachery of Images, but you beat me to it.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE TREACHERY OF IMAGES IS THAT IT'S 100% ACCURATE. It is a not a pipe, it's a picture of a pipe. That, on the other hand, IS a pepe, and misses the original point entirely.
>>
>>44644568
>>44644588
There is apparently a reference here that I'm not aware of
>>
Would Shaman work as a Druid subclass? Or are they too different? It occurred to me there might be something in expending a wildshape use to summon a spirit animal, but I can't think of a way to do that isn't either UP, OP or breaking of the action economy.
>>
File: Treachery of images.jpg (416KB, 1024x714px) Image search: [Google]
Treachery of images.jpg
416KB, 1024x714px
>>44644631
You mean the original?
>>
>>44644510
Well obviously it wouldn't be an accurate alchemist. Real life kung-fu monks wouldn't have been in medieval Europe and real life clerics didn't have magic.
>>
>>44643989
Also on that note, does anyone have good names for a high quality d&d city clothing store?

>Lord & Tailor
>>
>>44644706
Obligatory Kingsmen reference
>>
>>44644767
> lox as in smoked fish?
>>
>>44644690
> DnD
> Medieval Europe
Ebin maymay, mang.
>>
>>44644631

as
>>44644675

It is an image of a pipe, thus not literally a pipe, but it represents a literal pipe, so in vernacular, it is a pipe. It is both a pipe and not at the same time.
>>
>>44644861
Oh, so it's just dumb semantics.
>>
>>44644888
It's called 'the treachery of images' for a reason.
>>
>>44644888
It's French. You expected more?
>>
>>44644888
that's dadaism.

nice trips
>>
>>44644706
Merringer & Sons Clothiers
The Royal Wardrobe
Halsworth Tailoring Co.
Hook & Eye
Gentleman's Made-To-Fit Clothes
>>
>>44644344

Mindblade or Psychic Warrior archetype for Fighter.

Kensai archetype for Fighter.

Warshaper or Totemist style archetype for Barbarian; alternatively, Ranger.

I'm stumped on what to give Paladin or Rogue. I'm not sure Paladin really NEEDS more, besides maybe an Avenger style archetype but you could do that with enchanted light armor and a big sword. Rogue and Ranger are the ones really hurting for more interesting archetypes but the only one I could think of, Ninja, is really covered by Shadow Monks and default Rogue as it is.
>>
>>44640790
Refluff Battlemaster so maneuvers are trick shots and such. Give proficiency and use the firearms from the DMG.
>>
>>44644888
No.
>>
>>44645011
Maybe a Trapper archetype for Ranger? Make it a kind of Rogue-Ranger hybrid with an emphasis on stealth and ambushes. Instead of spells, they gain the ability to set traps for their foes.
>>
Would an invocation that allows EB to be used as a touch spell be completely fucked up?
>>
So i'm looking to make a new race for my underwater campaign. They're called Karkinoi and they're crustacean people taking the place of dwarves, which aren't as appropriate, as such i'm using regular dwarves as the base. The most minor changes I could make is the weapon proficiencies and the armor proficiencies of the Mountain Dwarf subrace. If I removed the weapon proficiencis, and gave them a claw attack that can grapple, and removed the armor proficiencies for a natural armor, would that work or would that be too broken?
>>
>>44645156
> instead of spells
Rangers get spellcasting before they choose an archetype.

>>44644344
Wizards did some brainstorming after the Eberron UA survey about making the artificer one archetype of an Enchanter/Arcanist class, with the other archetypes being something along the lines of Alchemist and Witch Doctor.

I'd like to see that.
>>
>>44645272
Good point. Maybe as well, then.
>>
>>44645156

It would need its own resource mechanic and to be very useful for giving up spells, but I could see it. I'm reminded of the Assassin from Diablo 2. So maybe some quick deploying ones, like bombs or a turret minion, and then 'prep time' ones like explosive runes or acid snare-traps? Or glitterdust mines that blind and maim enemies.
>>
>>44644670
What thematic niche does it fill that's not already covered by other druids?

Keep in mind that the fluff for Land Druid is already that of a village Shaman or Medicine Man, and that several Druid spells handle the animal summoning thing without adding additional mechanics.
>>
>>44645225
A claw attack that automatically grapples on a hit would be too much, and natural armor is crazy good if it's phrased in such a way that it stacks with normal armor. Racial proficiencies are ribbons that hardly ever get used anyway. Trading in all the dwarf ribbons for a swim speed and the ability to breathe underwater would be fine.
>>
File: strahd-von-zarovich-1024x768.jpg (204KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
strahd-von-zarovich-1024x768.jpg
204KB, 1024x768px
>>44636671
hey guys I'm running Ravenloft for my players and I have a question about Strahd. It says in the original OSR that he has the ability to "Energy Drain" which, from what I understand of 2e is like, and experience drain that lowers your Heath Levels? so, in translating that to 5e, he would drain 2 max hp every hit? That seems a little overpowered, but maybe not due to the fact that he IS Strahd...I was thinking maybe he could do some weird vampiric touch? Or maybe I should just ditch this power entirely and just stick to the Vampire statblock in the MM? Or I could limit one of these actions as just an extra Legendary Action, since he is a legendary figure.
>>
>>44645604

Use the vampire statblock in the MM and add stuff to it. Particularly, look at the Demilich, it has a Life Drain ability as a Legendary Action.
>>
>>44645721

oh! that's a really good idea. it makes sense since he was a necromancer.
>>
>>44642805
>>44643223
>>44643448
This is actually one of the things I do to fix bladelocks when one of my players wanted to play one. It was an invocation that allowed him to summon armor alongside his weapon, following the same rules as the blade pact itself (could choose shape, type, and had proficiency in it).

So he summoned plate armor. The only restriction I put on it was that it obviously required pact of the blade. I'm not quite sure why some people freak out over the idea of "FREE" plate when fighters and the like will have it around that time anyway, or level 5 at the latest. It also costs a warlock one of their few precious invocations, and might actually lead them to not picking up Agonizing Blast.

The one problem this has led to (and some people might view it as penance for getting to summon FREE plate) is that the player has really shitty AC prior to gaining the invocation since they have a reason to dump dex.
>>
>>44645596
Swim speed and the ability to breathe underwater are things i'm adding to every playable race across the board.

What about a claw attack that counts as a weapon, and give advantage to strength checks to maintain grapples?

Still don't know about the armor proficiencies. They're crustacean people, they have built in armor.
>>
>>44646002
>What about a claw attack that counts as a weapon, and give advantage to strength checks to maintain grapples?
Unarmed strikes are weapon attacks.
>>
>>44645525
I was thinking of the Shaman class from 4e. The distinct mechanic they had was the ability to summon a spirit to either fight for them or channel their powers through. A lot of their abilities were about communion with the spirit world, and were more "spirit world" than "animals and plants". From 4e Primal Power:

>A wizened dwarf follows a shaggy bear spirit along a lonely mountain road, unsure where the spirit will lead. Moving with the grace and stealth of a panther, an elf and his spirit companion creep through the forest toward their unsuspecting arc prey. A human draped in leaves and furs stands with arms upraised
to the stormy sky, calling on the spirits of thunder and lightning. Shamans are primal mystics, existing simultaneously in the world and in the realm of the primal spirits. Surrounded by a great cloud of ancestor and nature spirits, they bring the wisdom of the
ancients to the people of the world.
>>
>>44646023
And unarmed strikes do 1 bludgeoning. I'm thinking 1d4 or 1d6 slashing.
>>
>>44646002
Then turn the armor proficiency into natural armor.

It's kinda odd though. Can they use armor still? If they're based off of dwarves then they still get the +2 to strength, so they'd still be geared to fighter and classes that like heavy armor.

Of course that only really matters if they're a PC race, and even then it doesn't exactly ruin the race.
>>
>>44646097
Then say "your unarmed strikes do 1d4 slashing damage."
Don't do 1d6. That's Monk's thing.
>>
>>44646135
They can if they take a class that has proficiency in it. If I give them natural armor, maybe they should only get a +1 to STR?

>>44646151
1d4 slashing and advantage on maintaining grapples?
>>
>>44646151

>Don't do 1d6. That's Monk's thing.
>Minotaurs have 1d10 piercing weapons naturally

uuh I think that precedent has already been broken, m8
>>
>>44646135
It'd be fine as long as it were made clear that it's natural armor, and that it doesn't stack with worn armor.

The vast majority of monster manual entries have a natural armor value of +3 or less. This is not game-breaking at level 1.
>>
>>44646222
> citing Unearthed Arcana unironically
Shut up.
>>
Been figuring out some houserules so far.
>Single reroll or advantage per session, anywhere.
>Every character gains a single expertise.

Any other houserules that you'd recommend?
>>
>>44646291
>>
>>44646268
Natural armor of con modifier or static value?
>>
>>44646291

>durr its not in a printed book I can waste my money on so it doesn't count!
>>
>>44646291

>implying Unearthed Arcana material is 'broken'

wut
>>
>>44646405
Static value; AC+Con is redundant with barbarian, and you wouldn't get both.

If you want it to scale, have it do so by character level.
>>
>>44646434
> 1d10 unarmed piercing damage, plus Str and proficiency
> can unarmed attack as bonus action when dashing
> shove with horns as bonus action with any attack
> choose own ability score increase

I'm not implying anything.
>>
>>44646089

Multiclass with Beastmaster Ranger, fluff animal companion as spirit.
>>
>>44646222
>>44646565
Different anon; I don't see anything wrong with those features provided you treat minotaurs as you would any other monstrous PC. An ogre would make for an overpowered melee character, as would an umberhulk.

Treat a minotaur PC the way you would treat and ogre PC. Problem solved.
>>
>>44646565

>can't make them silvered or magical without DM fiat
>better not play anything that values using its bonus actions
>can't shove into a prone with it
>limited ability score increase you can choose, and 9/10 times it will be str anyway
>one less attribute bonus than playing a half-orc

>still bitching about UA races when garbage races like Aracloaca exist in 'official' printed material
>>
>>44646089
One of the oddities of the Spirit guardian in 4e was that they were ignored all damage up to a point, but if they took that much damage from an attack they disappeared. Because of the difference in combat math between 4e and 5e, that wouldn't directly work. An alternative would be summoned spirits are considered to be concentrating on themselves. If they take damage, they have to pass a Con saving throw or they disappear. Given the penalty for failure, it might be worth mitigating that with adding the Druid's Wis to the Con for that purpose.
>>
>>44646643
>Treat a minotaur PC the way you would treat and ogre PC. Problem solved.
So, kill on sight?
>>
>>44646730
>>44646643

>'If its not like (insert Tolkein, Gygax, Moorcock, etc)'s vision, then it shouldn't be played!'
>>
>>44646730
>>44646643

>'muh fantasy racism'
>people still think they're being clever and jerking themselves off at the idea of kobold or gelatinous cube PCs

I don't get this community sometimes.
>>
>>44646715
> still bitching about Aaracokra
> flying speed useless in Dungeons or if wearing anything more than light armor
> talons do 1d4

Don't be deliberately thick, Anon. It doesn't suit you.
>>
>>44646730
Now you've got it! Or they have to walk around the town in manacles and be escorted by "normal" party members during social interaction. Maybe after a few months in an area with good behavior the townspeople might learn to not kill on sight and treat them "normal".

>>44646751
It should definitely be played, but you are playing a race that is traditionally viewed as a horrific monster by most people. If that doesn't lead to any RP challenges, then why bother?
>>
>>44646797
>>44646730
does't the minotaur fluff pen them literally as terrifying sea marauders?

any gm worth their salt wouldn't overlook that
>>
>>44646777
>>44646795
The UA minotaur specifically says minotaurs are piratical monster-men. The PHB says half-orcs feel the pull of grummsh at all times, and that tieflings are spooky and that people hate them.

You don't get to have it both ways, anon. Not everything is a noble savage.
>>
Any way to play a renegade male drow wizard from Menzoberranzan without being "that guy"? I've always wanted to play a drow male who breaks away from Lolth's priestesses and lives on the surface, where he tries to make a new life for himself as an adventurer. I assume I would have to use Disguise Self quite often to keep from being killed? Not to mention the sunlight sensitivity. I guess it might not be worth it...
>>
>>44646859
Exactly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing a monstrous PC..provided you understand that you are playing a character that people will assume is just like any other monster they've heard about in campfire stories.

I consider getting people to trust you as a monstrous PC an enjoyable RP exercise more than anything else.
>>
How do I Dirgesinger in 5e?

Is Lore Bard/Necromancer good? Or Maybe Lore Bard/Oathbreaker Paladin?

Or has anyone made a homebrew?
>>
>>44636870

>do mountain dwarves get shields
No, so perhaps you could go Hill Dwarf and take Medium Armor proficiency. You still get 1 (of possible 2) Dex increased, plus you get the medium armor and shields.
>>
>>44646980
Lore bard alone is fine. You can use magical secrets to get all the kekromancy you want.
>>
>>44646952
>noble savage.
Which, if you think about it, is also pretty racist
>>
>>44639502
Alchemist fire burns hot like jet fuel.
Steel doors are made of the same thing as steel beams.
Coincidence?
>>
>>44647038
The descriptions of all the races in d&d are pretty generalizing when you think about it. It lends itself to fantasy racism pretty well.
>>
Dwarf-crab anon here.

Here's the first draft of the race the Karkinoi. I did some things a little differently.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CCPqCcX4-GTocIQ9ASjZomuB-Q6dmfWVK8QLVoj_WiI/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think, broken? Needs tweaking?
>>
>>44646974
I agree.
Same kinda deal with people playing necromancers and being surprised when commoners and other characters are put off by the fact that they literally animate the corpses of dead people.
>>
>>44637539

>Dex on handaxes

You cannot. It's a melee weapon, so unless it has the Finesse property, you cannot use Dex.

Note that Darts are ranged weapons, so they use Dex - but they have the Finesse property, so they can also use Strength. It's a little less intuitive than, say, 3e but it's all consistent rules wise.
>>
>>44647151
Craaaaab people. Craaaab people. Taste like crab, talk like people.

Looks good m8
>>
>>44647151
why the fuck is this even a thing? jesus christ
>>
>>44638861
War Caster's spell isn't an OA. It's a spell cast as a reaction. So, no.
>>
>>44647222
It's a weird underwater campaign.
>>
also why the fuck do crabs know about stonework?
>>
>>44647222
Not everybody wants to be a mermaid, anon
>>
>>44647242
Should they not?
>>
>>44646956
I played a male drow wizard in an evil campaign once. I tried to not be That Guy by having him be actually evil and not misunderstood. He got other races to trust him by wearing a mask a lot of the time and being the best at killing other drow. He really wanted nothing more than to exterminate everyone in his old home city, down to the last child, as revenge for how he was treated there.
>>
>>44642792
Warlock has Armor of Agathys, Fire Shield, Dark One's Blessing, and Hellish Rebuke. He doesn't just tank with his face, he dprs with his face too.
>>
>>44647305
What about a crab man makes you think they would? Are crabs known for their stoneworking? Do they build giant cities of stone?
>>
>>44647492
Not exactly, but I love the imagery of great cavernous karkinoi holdings with crab-writing on the walls.

Should I get rid of it?
>>
>>44647492
Do unicorns taste like beef or like licorice?

Trying to say that a made up fantasy creature can't do something because you don't think it makes sense is a horrible way to make a point.

>>44647527
It's your game man, do what you want. You'll get shit from anyone for anything you post here. Unless the majority thinks it's shit and completely unusable, give it a try and see what happens.
>>
>>44647527
I dunno, +3 natural armor and shit? Is this for 3.5? Crab men suck, I think. Scrap it all.
>>
How do you handle dealing damage to structures?

The object rules in the DMG make the point they're for discrete objects, not large structures.

Say someone just wanted to smash in a house or break down a wall or something, and they had some weapon or magic or monster that let them do it.

Stick with the object rules, up the hitpoints, and treat parts of structures as discrete areas? e.g. the east wall of a house is made of cobblestone (17 AC) and has 27+ hit points?
>>
>>44647556
Thinking on it, it might not make sense. That ability attributes to the long age of dwarves, karkinoi have short lives.

>>44647579

Well i'm not scrapping it all, so that's out.

Crabmen are thematic so i'm keeping them.

How do you suggest I do something similar to natural armor? AC can't be below 10+con mod?
>>
There needs to be some coherency when you give a race a feature. Dwarves are natural miners and stoneworkers, it's part of their identity. What does stoneworking have to do with crabmen? Might as well give them a proficiency bonus on riding bikes, makes the same amount of sense.

Also,
>>44647556
>>44647527
Samefag
>>
>>44647629
AC is used when you have a chance of not dealing damage to what you are hitting because it's moving or it is protected. Inanimate and unattended objects have an AC of 0 (you literally cannot miss it). If it's a tough material you might give it damage resistance and more HP though.
>>
Crabmen should get Darkvision, a feature that lets them breath underwater and a swim speed, a small AC bonus like warforged (+1) and +2 con +1 str ability scores. That's it, so easy, let's stop talking about it.
>>
>>44647663
>There needs to be some coherency when you give a race a feature. Dwarves are natural miners and stoneworkers, it's part of their identity. What does stoneworking have to do with crabmen? Might as well give them a proficiency bonus on riding bikes, makes the same amount of sense.

I get you, ok Stonecunning is gone.
>>
>>44647629

Pretty much.
Just give it damage resistances and immunities depending on the material at your discretion.

Stone
Immune to fire, slashing, poison, necrotic
Resistant to bludgeoning...

You get the point.
>>
>>44647663
I love it when people say "samefag" and only one of the referenced posts has (You) attached to it.

You're absolutely right, riding bikes makes just as much sense as stoneworking for crabmen. Because crabmen are fictional fantasy characters that don't have a long and illustrious history of established lore in mainstream media to tell you what they are in every setting they exist in. You can find a dwarf in any fantasy book you pick up, but how often do you see crab people? Why shouldn't they be stoneworkers in this setting? Why shouldn't they ride bikes? (physical disability notwithstanding)
>>
>>44647709
They're more than just crabmen if you read my draft.
>>
Crabmen might build by nurturing/manipulating coral growth, or by re purposing shipwrecks and driftwood.
>>
>>44641570

actually this is pretty good.
>>
>>44638756

Note: Lances aren't Heavy. Halflings and gnomes can use them just fine.
>>
>>44638793

Nothing 1-handed is better than a d8 anyway so you're just fine. Your maximum AC is 1 lower than a full-plate wearer, but that's not the end of the world- and you'll have better initiative, better Dex saves (targeted more than Strength), broader bonuses to skills, no disadvantage on Stealth, and stronger attacking at range (since you can use proper ranged weapons with better damage and range). You aren't gimped at all, unless one defines "gimped" as "anything but a GWM user".
>>
File: Crab Niggas.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Crab Niggas.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Also F that guy who always bitches about file size. Go get laid.
>>
>>44647768
>You're absolutely right, riding bikes makes just as much sense as stoneworking for crabmen. Because crabmen are fictional fantasy characters that don't have a long and illustrious history of established lore in mainstream media to tell you what they are in every setting they exist in. You can find a dwarf in any fantasy book you pick up, but how often do you see crab people? Why shouldn't they be stoneworkers in this setting? Why shouldn't they ride bikes? (physical disability notwithstanding)

So why would crabs, of all things you could pull out of a hat, be good at stoneworking? They even lack the proper appendages to do precise stonework.
>>
>>44647912
This is fucking funny anon. I'll take your criticism to heart.
>>
>>44647690
Inanimate objects have an AC based on how hard they are to damage. You always connect, but it isn't necessarily productive.
>>
>>44641991

>have normal vision in broad daylight
>creatures see you before you see them

Fucking how?
>>
File: crawfish.jpg (297KB, 304x461px) Image search: [Google]
crawfish.jpg
297KB, 304x461px
>>44647976
>>44647976

https://youtu.be/j7lDOjL5Ges

https://youtu.be/6XJtq2d_lFs

Crabhomies get proficiency with clay or stoneworking tools.
>>
>>44647629
DMG gives ships a damage threshold, below which they take no damage at all.

I handle structures the same way.
>>
>>44648030
Ah my bad, I thought they had an AC because they are moving rather than they have some natural armor to them. As far as I know you shouldn't have to roll to hit an unmoving statue, you should just deal damage to it and factor in damage resistance from the material. (That's how it works at our table, anyway)

>>44647976
I think the crabs crabanon is working with have a bunch of appendages meant for working with objects specifically in addition to the claws. I'm sure we could come up with a more appropriate creature for stoneworking, but my stance is usually "why not?" rather than "why?".
>>
>>44647912
Yeah, fuck that guy for being one of the few anons to give feedback beyond "lel, ur homebroo a shit."
>>
>>44648079
maybe they get a digging bonus or something. would you give molemen some tools and expect them to build you a sweet stone church? no. they dig.
>>
>>44648125
File-Size Guy spotted
>>
>>44647690
The book gives the example of a fighter hitting a wall with a sword, it just won't do anything.

I took AC to be how difficult it is to make a significant impact (basically what >>44648030 said) since I don't think objects have damage reduction this time around. Which I like more because, just like armor, maybe it represents finding a weak point in a wall, rather than rolling your damage and subtracting a number. I could probably punch through wood (eventually).

Resistances, immunities and vulnerabilities make sense though. Burning down a stone wall is almost impossible, burning down a wood structure is easy.
>>
>>44648170
Nah, I'm one of the guys from the kitsune thread.

But if you say so.
>>
>>44648151
The Crab Karkinoi have a burrow speed of 10 ft.
>>
let's stat pug men next. let's make them proficient in... typewriters! yea that's the ticket!
>>
>>44648171
>I could probably punch through wood (eventually).

That was the thought that made me think damage reduction (or damage threshold like >>44648083 said). For some reason I see rolling vs. as AC and not meeting it as you failed to hit the object in question, and taking into account DR as "you hit the thing but it didn't do shit".
>>
>>44647912
>Also F that guy who always bitches about file size.
Present.

>Go get laid.
Wishes appreciated.
>>
This opening scene where she's by the river has inspired me to play a female barbarian warrior princess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poJXSZZ-bmE

Should she be proficient in flying planes?
>>
>>44648232
don't be ridiculous anon

typewriters don't exist in medieval times
>>
>>44648326
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in my setting that I made up they do.
>>
>>44648326
different anon; what if they have proficiency in operating a printing press? They can churn out copies of Dog Fancy like no other race
>>
>>44648361
Then they would likely have a certain control over print, bringing depth to the race in the world..
>>
Chirplings
>>
>>44648406
> the pugmen had discovered the secret to turning lead into gold by doing it the hard way.
> the difference between the easy way and the hard way is that the hard way works.
>>
>>44648252
You don't by any chance work in IT, do you?
>>
>>44641570
I'll be using the reverse of that awesome bard.
>back in my day be banged magic rocks together to make music
>>
What are good anti-flying monsters?
>>
>>44648686
monsters with ranged or paralysis attacks
>>
File: 1452827-dod.jpg (40KB, 431x640px) Image search: [Google]
1452827-dod.jpg
40KB, 431x640px
I want to make a skellington mariachi band.
I'll be making a Lore Bard and pick up all the right necromancy spells but my question is: How do I make my undead minions good musicians? Their CHA is a way too low.
>>
File: This is not a pipe.jpg (57KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
This is not a pipe.jpg
57KB, 500x414px
>>44644888
>>44644861
>>
>>44648782
What the fuck is with all these stupid monkey cheese ideas lately? How about sponge men as a race?
>>
Crabdwarf-anon again. Names are the worst part of this shit. Can suggestions for the forge-crabs and magic-lobsters?
>>
>>44648782
shut the fuck up faggot
>>
>>44642806
Annnd now that invocation sucks. I'll keep using the home brew lock fix.
>>
>>44648804
>>44648887
lol look how eager you are
>>
>>44648802
>>44648877
Salty's back!

How ya doing, Salty?
>>
>>44647226

Ah, so am I better off not grabbing Warcaster? I wanted to build around tanking with Lightning Lure, Greenfire Blade, Booming Blade, the previously mentioned fighting style and feats, and spells like Hold Person or Fear. I feel like the Eldritch Knight has the best defending potential out of all the Fighter archetypes. By comparison, Battle Master seems to push you toward just doing more Greatweapon or Crossbow shenanigans.
>>
>>44648912
It's not eagerness, it was 4chan not loading my post in the first place, so I thought I missclicked and didn't submit my post, so I posted again, then deleted the double post when it loaded.
>>
>>44648893
Keep reading, fuckboi.
>>
>>44647874

Okay, Tymora(Or some other luck god depending on setting) worshiping Halfling Paladin with tragic backstory and fatalistic "Everything comes down to Luck in the end" attitude here I come.

...now I just need to find a group.
>>
I want to play a bard who is seeking the perfect pussy, so he bangs women all over the world and sketches their pussies in his pussy journal. And he prays to Sune and has a vision of the perfect pussy and IS IT SUNE's? Who Knows? LF a game where I can play this, pst to "perfectpussyseeker at gmail.com"
>>
>>44646797

> If that doesn't lead to any RP challenges, then why bother?

It gets boring and repetitive if you keep running into the same situation and having to 'prove yourself' at every new social encounter. Its the same reason people are tired of Drizz't do'Urden and his legion of clones.There's only so many times you can prove your 'noble intent' before it gets trite and stupid that people don't accept you as a hero, or at least not ill-intentioned.

Its also bizarre that forest living super magical pointy ear spooks, violent drunk greedy midgets and towering grey literal giant mountain brutes get a pass but a vaguely green guy with some small tusks is what scares the townsfolk into hiding in their hovels and battening down the window shutters or gathering up into a lynch mob.
>>
>>44643348
An invocation that allows armor of shadows to act as regular armor? Plus some flavor buff?
>>
Invocation idea: summon Snickers bar at will?
>>
>>44641830
>There. Now you have a weapon on par with actual bows and arrows.
What you just described is worse average DPS then longbow anytime that your Dex is above 11

Assume +1 Dex Mod

Musket Round 1 = 2d8 + 1 (10) w/ a 1in20 chance of 2d8 (0.45)
Musket Round 2 = 0

Musket 2 Round Average 5.225

Longbow Round 1 = 1d8 + 1 (5.5) w/ a 1in20 chance of 1d8 (0.225)
Longbow Round 2 = Same

Longbow 2 Round Average 5.725

It gets worse the more you add attacks per turn, dexterity, or any class ability that adds damage to an attack usable every round.

You would have to have the weapon damage itself scale in order to have it viable and if you do that all you end up doing is giving a player a choice between 1 massive damage attack every 2 rounds that feels horrible if you miss or a number of smaller attacks that deal a more averaged amount of damage.

Also... the reason muskets overcame longbows in the real world has to do with training and mass production, not damage. PCs in fantasy games that are proficient in longbows can and should be more deadly with them then with an early gunpowder weapon.
>>
File: werewolf.gif (1MB, 362x264px) Image search: [Google]
werewolf.gif
1MB, 362x264px
>>44646795

>he only plays in tiny cramped dungeons filled with 'Gygaxian naturalism'
>>
>>44649055
create food and water
lv3 cleric spell

I wanted add in a sticks to snakes spell but there's like at least 2 spells that cover that
>>
>>44649055
are you nuts
>>
>>44649158
im always going to the store to get them, so im just being practical,
>>
>>44644532
Yes. I'm partial to the "The complete (insert class)" stuff, but it hasn't been updated in a long while. I think the mega anon got wisked away by elves.
>>
>>44649151
It's been 2 hours, anon. You still gnawing on this bone?
>>
>>44649187
nuts
snickers
snickers contains nuts

please anon I need this
>>
>>44649022
It's a matter of scale. If those spooks, drunks, and giant mountain brutes make up the majority of your setting's civilized population, then anything not fitting into those groups will be unusual and potentially scary. I would say goliaths are just as intimidating to some people as half orcs or minotaurs. It's all up to how the DM says their setting works.
>>
>>44649217
*sigh*
Ayyyyyyyyyy

> you owe me
>>
>>44649294
same anon;

The reverse is also true. If your setting is 90% goliaths, orcs, and minotaurs, then the less intimidating races are probably viewed as slave fodder or some such. The main point here is that there are options and grey areas depending on how the DM wants to run shit.

It should all be leading to a fun experience for the group, so if the RP challenges are becoming tiresome maybe word should spread about a travelling band of adventurers with, get this, a noble minotaur in the group.
>>
>>44646643
>>44646797
It's not though. It's not a racial listing for the large monster in the MM, it's a listing for the medium sailor race in Dragonlance series. It's intended to be +0 LA in 3.5 terms. Humans dislike them, and they worship an LE god that tells them to do mean things but they are probably about a half-orc on the "I'm RPing as a monster" scale.
>>
>>44646980
There is one. Its got a chef college and a some other stuff, but I did see a dirge singer I there.
>>
Can anyone estimate how long the starter set adventure (Lost Mine of Phandelver) takes to play?

Is each of the 4 parts enough for one session, or are you meant to cram the entire adventure into one night?
>>
>>44644861
For some reason I originally took it to mean, "This is not a pipe, because it's a sentence."

The pipe is above.
>>
>>44646980
This one?
>>
>>44649607
>or are you meant to cram the entire adventure into one night?

There's no way you'd be able to do that. I think most people say the average is 5-6 sessions. I'm currently running it, I'm almost through. So far my crew has taken around 10 sessions, and they're still not done. They'll finish it next session if I'm lucky, and they didn't even do any of the side quests like Thundertree and shit.

I think my group is just really fucking slow though. They take forever deciding on how to tackle a fucking door.
>>
>>44649607
>are you meant to cram the entire adventure into one night?

Dear god, no. My group's been playing through it for months.

>>44649750
Hey, it's me.
>>
>>44649146
>Also... the reason muskets overcame longbows in the real world has to do with training and mass production, not damage. PCs in fantasy games that are proficient in longbows can and should be more deadly with them then with an early gunpowder weapon.

Yes, but that's shit game balance, and D&D doesn't take into account the musket's real advantages.

I'm trying to introduce them as a non-trap option here.

You are correct though, the damage needs to be even higher to make muskets superior weapons. Or they need some other kind of buff.
>>
Crab-dwarf-anon here again. Probably more appropriate to be Underwater-anon.

Here's another race, which is basically Fishpeople Halflings that can speak to animals. Fuck gnomes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gC5hpSFBvOy-FSQgrOGpnaaNJzSG7GeAAL-V4a2sC2M/edit?usp=sharing
>>
Does /tg/ think that dumping WIS or CHA more accurately reflects autism?
>>
>>44649302
>> you owe me
Can you wait until Payday?
>>
>>44649737
I like the cooking school.
>>
>>44649870
I don't know, anon; can YOU?
>>
>>44649956
I can guarantee nougat it.
>>
>>44649607

I remember Mike Mearls and Rodney Thompson argued about this, probably in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYsdjZcfHm4

I had a spool through but I couldn't find it again.

From what I remember, Mearls estimated the first part at one session, Thompson said it would take two or three.

It's highly variable depending on your group and what they do. Part 3 in particular could take one or two sessions, or more than four, depending on optional quests and random encounters and whatnot.

If you play weekly, you'll be playing for a month or two.
>>
>>44649991
Why don't you Take 5?
>>
>>44649882
Yes, but what kinda anon combs the MM for each monster and what kind of meat it gives up? Also the implications of sentient creature also providing ingredients...
>>
>>44650071
I'd be willing to put the time in if I played it, or work with my gm to simplify it a little.
I'd imagine harvesting sentients would be pretty illegal, though that depends on the setting.
>>
>>44650060
I can't stop now, or I'll be chocoLate.
>>
>>44649831
We've put up with your homebrew spamming all day. Take a break, sushinon.
>>
Can you use Smite when using a cantrip like Green-flame Blade?
>>
>>44649854
Cha. Represents a diminished theory of mind. You're not quite so good at associated skills (Persuasion, Deception, etc.) if you have the triad of impairments.

Meanwhile, plenty of autistic people are highly perceptive and have a strong sense of intuition. So Wisdom should be left as-is, perhaps even raised depending on what kind of character you're going for.
>>
>>44650151
You can use it any time you hit with a melee weapon attack. So yes.
>>
>>44649822

The advantages of a musket vs. longbow are only really apparent in large scale battles. If I was going to make a musket that worth using 1v1, I'd keep it an inferior option for average DPS and add something else somewhere- maybe a fear effect from BIG NOISE or making them save against shock.
>>
>>44650177

Sweet.

Warlock/Paladin/Sorcerer hyper combo is a go then.
>>
>>44650139
>sushinon
I like it, so it shall be.

I just get really eager and creative and look for feedback asap. Dinner is soon anyways so I should take a break.
>>
>>44650396
>>44650396
>>44650396

Migrato, por favor
>>
>>44650245
No worries.

Also, compress your fucking documents :^)
>>
File: tumblr_nu4gjoCH2M1qjb4aeo1_500.png (142KB, 500x266px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu4gjoCH2M1qjb4aeo1_500.png
142KB, 500x266px
>>44650071
>>44650128
http://mangafox.me/manga/dungeon_meshi/
>>
>>44647816
Yes, but they use strength, not dexterity.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.