[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BGG/ BOARD GAME GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 47

File: modern_classics.jpg (843KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
modern_classics.jpg
843KB, 1000x1000px
Board Game General, Modern Classics edition

pastebin: http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

old thread >>>44570554

>what's the most you've spent on a game including expansions or box/component pimping? hardmode: no KDM

>what's the most you'd ever consider spending on a board game?

>if you sold your collection at full value, how rich would you be?
>>
Has anyone had an idea for a board game before and tried to develop it?

What would be the best way to do so?
>>
>>44627902
I’ve always wanted to design board games but I have lots of problems in the early prototyping stage that I never get past. I went into the new Game Design General thinking there would be stuff about board game design, but it’s mostly RPG homebrew. Honestly, if you’re interested in it, I’d recommend the subreddit /r/tabletopgamedesign.
>>
Aside from the $500 I'm into KD:M, my next highest total is for BattleCON. I'm sitting around $140 for that, and I still need to buy Devastation + Extended. I'm still debating buying Claus and Windall from their online store, but $14 for a single character is fucking steep.

If I could afford it, I'd buy The Queen's Gambit, but I think the new version will have to do.

I'm in for quite a bit. At a quick guess, I'd say I'm close to $1000 (excluding KD:M).
>>
>what's the most you've spent on a game including expansions or box/component pimping?
Arkham Horror. Every expansion and bitchin custom suitcase/doctors case to carry everything around. All in all approx $600

I dropped $350 on FTZ, if only for its sexy sexy models
I'd probably make 2-4k (not including mint WoW and Starcraft)
>>
Blood Rage on the Dice Tower livestream now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDHArUU1FbY
>>
>>44627874
>Most you've ever spent
I backed Cthulhu Wars for $160. That's my high water mark.

>Most you've ever consider.

You know, including Expansions, I don't know. I want at least two expansions to Cthulhu wars, which would bring me closer to $300. I play Magic, so paying over time doesn't really phase me.

>COllection value.

Honestly, probably somewhere in the range of $800-$1000 dollars. THough I'm not certain. I mostly buy in the $35-$60 range.

>>44627902
I can tell you I've made a mostly functional board game, that I built out of the rubble of someone else's idea. Really, my suggestion is: figure out what you like in board games, and build to that.

My game has still hit some snags in the playtest phase, mostly due to holdover text I'm unwilling to abandon. It doesn't help that I forget about it for months at a time.

Damn it, don't remind of it, now I can force my group to play it at our next board game meet-up, and get more playtest data.
>>
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165778-Asmodee-Acquires-Catans-English-Rights-From-Mayfair-Games

Is this important news /tg/?
>>
>>44628578
not really, even given Asmodee's changes to online sales. Catan isn't the most difficult game to get a hold of.
>>
>>44628578
Not to this thread, where no one gives a rat's ass about catan.
Far more important is the asmodee acquisition of FFG and the associated reduction in the discount they're going to let online stores get away with.
>>
>>44627874
Probably Super Dungeon Explore, though that is across two editions.
>>
>>44628655

I hope it bites them in the ass when they start selling fewer games. The only reason people can afford the crazy amount of FFG products they put out is online pricing. There is zero chance I'll be buying data packs or x-wing expansions at full price.
>>
>what's the most you've spent on a game including expansions or box/component pimping?
Four dollars
Five dollars
I'd still be poor
>>
>>44627902
I'll assume you're the same anon and saw my reply a couple threads back and keep this answer to:
-Watch the Meeple Syrup Show
-Playtest as soon as you can
-Ask yourself if everything is actually fun and beneficial to the experience or some parts are tedious or counterproductive to the kind of experience you want to facilitate
>>
>what's the most you've spent on a game including expansions or box/component pimping? hardmode: no KDM

Currently $280 and running for Starcraft and BroodWar. The game was pretty pretty pricey as was the expansion (got that from the big bgg auction from N threads ago).

What I'm planning yet to sink:
1. painting - gonna try to do this by myself and if it looks really bad I'm going commotion someone to take over and fix what I fucked up
2. foamcore trays - the game is ridiculously lengthy to set up, that will improve it immensely
3. maybe I'll get 3D printed heroes, only if I manage to get someone with an access to a 3D printer.

Definitely not repeating Starcraft ever again. Sticking to games below $100 right now.

Not very? About $530 all in all maybe a little bit more.
>>
>>44627874
>munchkin, cah, settlers, and talismayyyyyne as the op pic.

It's like you want people to start their first /bgg/ post of the daywith their anuses clenched.

Most I ever spent? Probably on Summoner wars and battlecon. Adds up to around 5-6 hundred i figure.

Most i considered spending? Over 200 on rivet wars. Then i realised i had enough two player gamesz and that all of them were better than the rules-lite product CMoN was pushing. Backed out. Regret not gaving cool models to play with in anything else, but that is it.
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 600x486px
Meeting up with some old gaming friends tonight. My first solid game night in months. Wish me luck /bgg/.
>>
>>44629227
And if I sold my collection, for what I paid for it? Probably about 1.2 k? Maybe a bit more. What a waste, half of them haven't come out in a year.

Quick /bgg/, what gimme your face when you receive exploding kittens and CAH for Christmas from well meaning in-laws.
>>
File: ]].png (283KB, 443x452px) Image search: [Google]
]].png
283KB, 443x452px
>>44629403
>>
File: 1450358280185.jpg (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1450358280185.jpg
33KB, 300x300px
SDE but that's due to cost for paint/brushes since I'd never owned a minis game before. 16 months later I'm finally getting about half of them finished and sprayed with varnish.

Right now ~$40, but I don't pay more than 25% off MSRP and don't buy anything over $20 without playtesting first, it's easy enough to enjoy the games I got, and wait for a sale or borrow from a friend.

Couple hundred, enough for operating expenses for my business for a month, but not much.

>>44628895
Been lurking in the BGG forum threads on the topic, it doesn't look like it'll hurt them much at all because B&M is the biggest part of their business. At the same time the store owners seem awful bitchy that OGS are negligible sales numbers, but irreparably hurt their business, so they deserve the extra attention from ANA/FFG. It seems like those statements would be mutually exclusive, but since Amazon/Target/Walmart/etc are not part of the new rule, there will still be a place to get a better deal, and the store owners will still have someone to blame for their store not doing as well.

>>44629403
Brother and his wife actually heard about it through FB/friends and went looking for it, then brought it out asking me to play with them. Was painful and I spent the 5 games trying to decide who would win rather than just crush them both outright each time.
>>
File: Leonard heh.png (211KB, 309x298px) Image search: [Google]
Leonard heh.png
211KB, 309x298px
>>44629403
>>
>>44627874
>most I've spent on one game
Dominion + 9 expansions + 7 or 8 promos + heavy duty binders = ~$250-300
>most I'd consider spending
I won't go that high again. Probably something like $100 if it's a game that I like that needs the expansions.
>how much would my collection sell for full value
According to BGGtools.com, $1700. There's a couple missing from my profile, so $1800 to be safe
>>
File: collection 04.jpg (2MB, 2208x2497px) Image search: [Google]
collection 04.jpg
2MB, 2208x2497px
>>44627874
OP - pimping everyone's fav games in the thread image... Heh!

>>what's the most you've spent on a game including expansions or box/component pimping? hardmode: no KDM

I have two copies of the OGRE Designer's edition box plus the KS extras, plus all the expansion sets. That was not cheap. Similarly I've got a boat-load of the Heroes of Normandie stuff as well.

>>what's the most you'd ever consider spending on a board game?

Depends - if we're talking a simple board game, then maybe a couple hundred dollars. If we're talking a table top minis game like 40K, then stupid large amounts back in the day.

>>if you sold your collection at full value, how rich would you be?

Just board games - several K $$$, if we're talking table top minis games, add another 4 or 5K.
>>
File: 1414341149829.gif (1MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1414341149829.gif
1MB, 256x192px
>>44629403
>Quick /bgg/, what gimme your face when you receive exploding kittens and CAH for Christmas from well meaning in-laws.

Pic related - my in-laws are in their 90's...
>>
>>44627874
Probably Duel of Ages 2. Base and Master Set was about $180.

500 is probably my limit, assuming the quality of the game fits the price.
About 2k I guess, I've got like 90 games at this point.
>>
>>44627874

>didn't call thread legible edition
>Talisman on the top of the stack

bless you OP, on to business.

Prolly...Myth now? Original kickstarter and journeyman edition together easily cracked 350 I'm sure.

About 60, but I'll go to 200 on a kickstarter if I get a shit ton of stuff.

But anon, if I sold my collection, I'd be poor where it counted, as in for entertainment value when I host parties.
>>
>>44627874
Everything that is Marvel Legendary.
$45x2+$30x3+$15x4=$240

If we're counting things I haven't gotten yet that'd be Dropzone Commander where I put in $600.
>>
File: 71DD+65rEQL._SL1200_.jpg (187KB, 1189x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71DD+65rEQL._SL1200_.jpg
187KB, 1189x1200px
Is this thing worth the money? Been wondering if I should buy it for some time now.
>>
>>44631082
If you value mood/role-playing over strategy, maybe. You spend most of the time exploring a house randomly until an objective and traitor finally pop up with about 10 minutes of light/obvious strategy and dice-rolling.
>>
>>44631082
One of my absolute favorites.

Put it this way. While it was out of print for years, people were spending a couple hundy for an unopened copy. And the new edition has more content and higher quality pieces.
>>
>>44631132
>>44631147
Thanks for the answers. The replay-ability aspect of it was the thing that piqued my interest in the first place.

Any other suggestions for a 4 - 5 player games?
>>
>>44631184
The replayability is fantastic. I've owned it for years and never played the same Haunt twice.

You might like checking out Arkham Horror or Kingsburg, just off the top of my head.
>>
File: Dark Moon.jpg (43KB, 480x375px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Moon.jpg
43KB, 480x375px
>>44631184
There are tons of good 4 - 5 player games out there. Any particular genre (sci-fi, modern, fantasy, historical) or game style - direct competition (Ameri-trash) or indirect competition (Euro-games) that you / your group like?

Dark Moon is fun and supports 5+ players as does 7 Wonders, Cosmic Encounter, and a load of others.
>>
>>44631082
Had a good run with a bunch of different people before it got old, maybe 15-20 times we played
>>
>>44631275
>that you / your group like?
I've just started getting into different types of boardgames. That Betrayal on the Hill would be my first step into exploring other options. We're all Uni students and my group has been playing, for too long, Monopoly all this while. So I have no idea how they're gonna take a different game.
>>
>>44631275
>>44631184
5 players can definitely be done. The real problem is the mythical 6 player game. There are some, sure, but not many. Cosmic Encounter, 7 Wonders, and that's about it for popular meaty 6 player games. The rest are all either games expanded to play 6 that don't handle it with grace, or social games.
>>
>>44631363
To be honest, I'm no fan of Betrayal, but it will probably be a good game to transition out of Monopoly. You start slow by still relying heavily on dice rolls and random events, but start building toward decision-making.

Alea Iacta Est could be another good one (I haven't played it yet, but it's on my wishlist). Still rolling dice, but any die roll can be useful for different things, and choosing how to spend them matters. It also cues off of Poker hands for set values, which makes it easy to explain to just about anyone. 2-5 players.
>>
>>44631363
Then try Dark Moon - watch a 'play through' on Youtube (hopefully with a group / reviewer that knows the rules well). It's a fairly simply game rules wise, but brings a lot of tension and paranoia to the table and doesn't take nearly as long as Battlestar Galatica or similar games. Other 'lite' games your group might like include:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf
One Night Resistance
The Resistance
Coup / Coup G54
And if you wanted to try a 'lite' Euro-game - check out 'Stone Age'.
>>
>>44631607
REX is awesome at 6 players IIRC.
Roll for the Galaxy is excellent and supports 5 players.
>>
>>44631635
Thanks for the list! Will check it all out. Also,

>The Resistance
I jury rigged that so that it could be played with a normal deck of cards. Didn't have any special roles or anything though; just the rebels and spies. Had a lot of fun, but then one player got REALLY butthurt that he was tricked to completely trust a spy and refuses to play it anymore.
>>
File: Among the Stars 01.jpg (150KB, 375x518px) Image search: [Google]
Among the Stars 01.jpg
150KB, 375x518px
Anyone here play 'Among the Stars' and have recommendations about the expansions? There are several:

Expanding the Alliance
Revival
Ambassadors
& New Dawn

Any recommendations on which one(s) I should pick up first or any I can live without?
>>
>>44627874

£66 for Dune: The dice must flow - printed by a pnp company, shipping, and customs included (from US to UK)
That 400usd on Kingdom death monster, but shit just even to think about it its too much.
£250-300 pounds roughly
>>
File: BGGsuggestions01.png (2MB, 2016x899px) Image search: [Google]
BGGsuggestions01.png
2MB, 2016x899px
>>44631702
Someone was asking about these images in a previous thread but they might help you out too...
>>
I'm having a group of friends get together this weekend for a day of games. The other host and I are looking forward to running Eldritch Horror, Fury of Dracula, and Kemet. We've got plenty of smaller social games to go in between.

One of the guys we've never gamed with before. He's excited to bring Catan and Exploding Kittens with him... so very excited. I hope we can get him into better games and open his eyes.
>>
>>44631760
New Dawn isn't an expansion, it's another game set in the same universe.

Expanding the Alliance is just a fuckload of promos along with bits needed to play with 5 or 6 people. It actually isn't too bad with large groups, either, due to its 7 Wonders-esque round structure. I'd recommend this one, actually, if you just want 'more of the same'.

Ambassadors has a new base common card deck, along with a new Ambassadors subsystem. It's good if you want something meatier. Has more races and special cards as well.

Revival has 2 player rules, another new base common deck you can use, and a load more take that. Also comes with a new tug-of-war subsystem that looks pretty neat. And, of course, has more races and special cards.

You only use one common deck per game, whether that's the base game's deck or Ambassadors or Revival. You can mix and match, but then setup gets even more tedious.
>>
File: BGGsuggestions02.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
BGGsuggestions02.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
>>44631824
And the other...
>>
>>44631824
Vote: Move neuroshima hex from war game to duel game. It's size, length, and level of abstraction are out of place where it is.
>>
File: gf games.png (2MB, 1625x1012px) Image search: [Google]
gf games.png
2MB, 1625x1012px
>>44631852
And games you play with girlfriends, unicorns, and other mythical /tg/ creatures...
>>
>>44631905
Morels desperately needs to be on there, under Light Dueling/Card Games.
>>
>>44631877
1. Not my image.

2. It's a lot less of an abstract war game than say 'Small World' for example.

>>44631852
And this image has TI3 listed as 'Space 4x' when it's a 'Grand Strategy' game guys... But it's an understandable and easy mistake to make.
>>
File: gf recs.png (2MB, 1625x1012px) Image search: [Google]
gf recs.png
2MB, 1625x1012px
>>44631905
That's an older version, this is the last one I did on it.

>>44631929
Been thinking I need to do a new revision, since SW:Risk has been such a huge hit for not only myself but 4-5 other couples in different groups spread across two states. Plus having played Pinata, I'd be happy to toss that back on as it re-implemented Balloon Cup in a better way and is actually in print. Maybe Odin's Ravens too since that's supposed to hit stores in a month. Tell me more about this Morels tho, anyone else got a plug for it?
>>
>>44632091
I have it. Fun, easy to play duel game. Plays in 20 minutes or so. Collect mushrooms, cook them in pairs to score points.
>>
>>44632091
But SW: Risk is problematic because they erased Rey.
>>
>>44631845
Cool! Thanks for the input - it'll help when it comes time to drop another order to CSI or MM. :)

>>44632091
> That's an older version
Consider v2 officially 'Stolen'. (Oh, and I tell what the 2 right-hand most Deduction Games are due to their small size in the image.)

>>44631877
>>44631929
>>44632091
We ought to come up with a set of categories for use creating a set of /bgg/ recommendation images.

Categories Ideas:

Light Euro
Heavy Euro
Abstract Strategy
Head to Head / 2 player games
Abstract Strategy Games
War games
Cooperative Games
Social Deduction Games
Party Games / Fast / Inexpensive Games
Deck Builders
Other Recommendations
>>
I backed Ghostbusters, which came out at about £90 - I didn't really want to spend an extra £30-40 on a shiny box and "Impossible Mode" shit I'd never bring out. I later matched that pledge on a national telethon because I thought spending that much money on a game was kinda silly
outside of Kickstarter? Well, I'm currently eyeballing Viticulture: Essential Edition, Fury of Dracula and Tales of The Arabian Nights, which are all around £45 in my country, but I'd only spend that much because they're all damn good games. Normally I prefer the £25-30 mark, for more "entry-level" shit like Ticket To Ride, Corto or those new Star Wars versions of RIsk and Monopoly (no joke, Star Wars Monopoly actually looks pretty sick)
Well, I have a copy of Space Crusade, so I could probably buy your soul. I could do the same with your loved ones too... but the box is kinda beat up, and a corner needs taping up.
>>44627902
I've had two ideas, neither of which I've done much with:
>you're students in typical student digs... and somebody's parents are visiting! Better clean up your room quickly, and make sure you don't have any "special interest" magazines lying around!
>Lucky Luke: The Co-Operative Board Game - you're the Dalton brothers, trying to rob the stagecoach, kidnap the schoolma'am and buy something nice for your mother's birthday. Just stay clear of Lucky Luke, or it's back to the hooscow!
>>44628578
Maybe? I'd be more interested in Terry Pratchett's estate not being so dumb and letting people make Discworld board games again, or at least reprinting Ankh Morpork
>>
>>44627902
Well I've written a background setting and we are currently developing a digital boardgame (PC) on it, then if its ready god forbid succeeds, We will do the physical copy. I am also looking for other games to build in my setting.(sci-fi)
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 266x373px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 266x373px
I have a copy of a Study in Emerald, first edition. I've heard the second edition dumbs it down significantly. How does /bgg/ feel about it? I've probably only gotten about four solid games on it in the last three years.
>>
File: pic2822720_lg.jpg (407KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic2822720_lg.jpg
407KB, 1024x768px
>>44632266
SW:Risk is problematic because I need to figure out a good way to cover up each Risk logo with one that reads Ackbar's Gambit. Also problematic because I need someone to design a graphic for that title. And then I prolly need some of those oop lightsaber sleeves from FFG, and to repaint all the minis, and find micro machines for the trackers that aren't $30 for just the storm troopers, plus maybe a set of green dice. Fuck it I just want this guy's copy.

>>44632284
Mr Jack and Sherlocke Holmes Consulting Detective.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (394KB, 648x936px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
394KB, 648x936px
So, I'm committing to babby's first carpentry teir woodworking. Was originally going to use this for a 3x3 wargame, but I think I'm just going to hawk it off as a foldout board game table top. A lot of people can't manage to roll dice on a table to save their life, so I might be able to move it. I made the inner dimensions 1 1/2" too wide by mistake, and that bugs the shite out of me.
>>
So, /bgg/ what are your thoughts on Asmodee?

Bought Days of Wonder, bought Fantasy Flight Games, bought Catan's english IP, absorbed a large chunk of Mayfair Games with it and,founded Catan Studios. They are poised to claim the biggest slice of the designer boardgame market both domestically and internationally.

What's next?
>>
>>44632748
Favorite conspiracy theory so far is the french bankers who own the corporation research cafe chains the next 5 years before buying one to convert into FFG game center style stores attached to cafes. I can't see how it'd work, but it was a lot more reasonable than the crackpot who thinks this is all just a plan by Bezos to destroy local stores under the pressure of a giant game company that continues to change up their policies until only Amazon survives.
>>
American who's just moved to Australia here:

1) What's the best way to buy games in Aus?

2) There was a guy who lived near me that I exchanged emails with, where'd you go man?
Just asking here in case it's an email address you don't check often.
>>
>>44630985
>backing Myth more than once
>liking Talisman enough to use it for a trip
how can you have such shit taste?
>>
Any kiwi bros here? Wanting to start a board gaming group or something, maybe ttrpg
>>
>>44632748
Dunno, I have this huge distrust for huge-ass corporations. Middle management and corporate-profit-before-anyhing stifle freedom and creativity. Just look at vidya's boom.
>>
>>44633537

I went all in on MERCS as well senpai
>>
>>44633770
In this particular case I'm not too worried since there are so many indies on the market. Also designers are not tied to publishers so if a publisher is unreasonable, they can go to many others.
>>
>>44633823
do you just have a monstrous boner for terrible rules?
>>
>>44633522
Welcome, cunt

Online retailers are decent; check OP pastebin. Add booktopia for some titles, all FLGS are dumb
>>
Anyone from the BGG auction from tikibro in HI get their shit yet?
Mine has FINALLY made is across water and has been sitting in CA since Jan 3rd.
>>
Well I backed Shadows of Brimstone at the minecart level, which was about $500 if I remember correctly. To be honest, I just wanted the mini's for my upcoming Deadlands campaign, the fact that it's actually a decent game is just a bonus.

These days? probably $100 if I'm sure I will love it.

Probably make a grand or so, nothing too valuable in there.
>>
>>44627874
I'm at approximately $900 into Cthulhu Wars.

Depends a lot on what kind of game it is. I won't do over about $70 for a non-miniature game. For minis, if I like them and I feel good about painting them I can do a lot more. The game underneath *has* to be good, of course, or else it's a no go, but as you can see above the upper limit is... basically nonexistent.

To whom am I selling this to? I mean, if we assume BGG Marketplace, I might get a grand and a half to two grand. But then I'd have to ship everything. And some of the stuff I'm still waiting on for KS deliveries.
>>
>>44631082
its fun if you play with friends who are into that kind of theme (horror/bit of lovecraft).
Most people here seem to hate it mainly because of >muh random dice rolling!
>>
>>44634066
A fool and his money.
>>
>>44631607
Rex, Kemet, Game of Thrones, Twilight Imperium. And that's just the trash part of the spectrum.

Whatchu mean there are no meaty games at six players?
>>
>>44631905
No Hex, Galaxy Trucker, Chaos in the Old World, Innovation, or Ti3.

Shit, I've very clearly married a shapeshifter.
>>
>>44632436
>Those s-foils aren't in attack position

Well there's your first problem right there, anon.
>>
>>44634182
You in Melbourne?
>>
>>44635600
I'm willing to let the sculpts being meh slide since it was $30, and now I no longer need to save up and search for a good copy of Queen's Gambit.

>>44635570
Hex is another one I keep thinking I should add to the updated version of the pic, along with maybe Memoir as part of a "light wargame" section and toss X-wing in there. Galaxy Trucker I'd put on there without hesitation too, but it's so polarizing I don't really like to recommend it, especially considering the cost. TI3/CiTOW fall into that same category, they're great games, but they're not for everyone, and it's a bunch of money down the drain if it's not for you.
>>
>>44635543
TI3 starts being kinda crappy at six, to be fair.
Hard to fit six players into a galaxy small enough to keep the game interesting and keep all the players engaged with one another.
>>
>>44635181
>Most people here seem to hate it mainly because of >muh random dice rolling!
I don't have a problem with dice, what I don't like in Betrayal is that everything you do is effectively pointless because you're not trying to do anything in particular.

You could be reading random paragraphs in a gamebook for a similar effect.
>>
>>44635881
I was just being a little shit on how my wife plays board games you normally do not introduce casual players or "muh wuminz" to.

Mind you, she was part of the first group i had that explored the hobby, and all of your points are really fair. Especially for galaxy Trucker. Man, that game has bombed with people hard. Either they cannot handle the real time smorgasborg of grabbing tiles, or they are mentally exhausted by trying to get anything right or working. 3 batteries does not 4 double cannons and 2 double engines make.

Meanwhile, "she" is playing the Trucker app. Prob gonna destroy me in pvp later, as she does with Hex regularly. Sigh.
>>
>>44635909
I've never tried smaller galaxy (until you give me specific pointers on ratios, special systems, set up style, etc, I'm wary of doing it terribly), but 6 is what we always aimed for as it avoided unequal starting positions and weird trade good starts as per the rules book. We enjoyed the days spent bickering as folks funded Wars halfway across the Galaxy, or voted on legislation that fucked over the guy that turn two warped main fleet into my home system to 4xecute me (close the wormholes can be such a BITCH). More people always meant more shenanigans.

But now, with university days and free time behind me, I know what you mean. Still, there is nothing like getting six people prepped for a day of plots, alliances, betrayals immediately after handshakes, and general cunning douchebaggery.

What a great narrative that game weaves. Really one of the best.
>>
>>44636473
Honestly my biggest issue with Galaxy Trucker has always been the cost on it, it feels like MSRP is $15-20 higher than it should be just because it was made by Vlaada. It also doesn't help that the app blows the analog version out of the water. Campaign mode failures due to part of my ship blowing up reminds me of the old NES days where I'd be screaming at how unfair games like Ghosts/Goblins were, yet keep playing for another hour because that one time I made it to level 2 was awesome.
>>
>>44636670
Yea, the longer i stay in the hobby, and the more money matters in life, its been hard to justify spending 40+on a board game. I've either been buying smaller stuff (the Grizzled, looking at No Thanks/For Sale or Epic next), cheap expansions like plaid hat faction packs, or having family gift me gams for Xmas and birthday.

Thank goodness the app is so well done. I have done dishes with the menu screen music on loop. It's a great example of redneck in space.
>>
>>44636670
yeah that cost is pretty steep. I enjoyed it when I played it once at a board game club night, went home and looked it up to see how much it would cost to buy my own copy of the anniversary edition and holy fuck I could fund an african revolution for less. Shame though, it was quite fun with the right people.
>>
>liking TI3

You're all worse than Talismayne
>>
>>44637038

Here is your (you).
>>
>>44635543
Kemet doesn't go to 6. Not even with Ta-Seti.
>>
>>44635543
>the trash part of the spectrum.

You got that right, Kemet being a bit above the rest. Still not meaty, though, and also maxes out at 5.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-08+at+02.34.55).jpg (364KB, 1860x607px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-08+at+02.34.55).jpg
364KB, 1860x607px
>>44627874
Without expansions: Actually XIA. Even TI3 I got for $60. Xia was $80 because kickstarters are from smaller companies.

With expansions: DESCENT 2e. Base game was $50, plus two $40 epansions is $130. Because I got an expansion for Twilight Imperium 3 for free, ($60 + $free + $40 = 100) I paid less.

Probably $150-200 if the scope was out of this world. $80 was the most I've spent for one box by itself. I'd have bought the Designer edition of Ogre if it was still in print and therefore the MSRP of 100. It's too light a game for anything more.

Not very. Even including my free expansion, the old games we have aren't that expensive (Cry Havoc is actually $40 if you search). Obviously ignoring MSRP gouging, it's worth $848 but I've paid at least $250 less due to some being from older collections bought super cheap at auction and getting crazy sales.

Pic related, my collection excluding stupid shit like Monopoly Millionaire and Hunger Games.
>>
>>44639283
Oh apparently Cry Havoc is $80 not $40 since the market went up. Welp.
>>
>>44631877

Haven't played Smallworld but yeah Neuroshima: Hex is more of a tactics game than a war game.
>>
>>44634209

Yep, got Starcraft: BroodWar a week ago it was in Poland in December but was a week or so at the customs office.
>>
>>44635821
Yes
>>
Played the Ascension app with a friend while waiting for my number to be called. It was his first experience with a deckbuilder, so he surprised me after he got to almost 40 points while I still only had 10. Still won by 7 points though thanks to Mechana Constructs, those things are crazy. Maybe I can introduce deckbuilders to my group soon after 8 months or so.
>>
>>44633673
Try meetup.com, or whatever equivalent you have over there. Hell, even facebook is a good idea - most of the local board game events in my area have pretty much abandoned meetup and now keep everyone in the loop via their own facebook pages.
>>
>>44640352
My group mostly uses whatsapp... mostly because over half the group have a "fuck Facebook" attitude. To be honest i only have an account to keep up with family, so, whatever.
>>
>>44640507
Uh, anyway, my point is a lot of gamers have a "fuck Facebook" attitude, so using Facebook might not reveal the true amount of gamers n your area?
>>
>>44639926
You the guy who goes to a game store in Essendon?
>>
>>44640507
>>44640517
What'sapp is owned by Facebook. I'm sure you knew that but thought I should voice that anyway
>>
File: 213123213.jpg (133KB, 540x311px) Image search: [Google]
213123213.jpg
133KB, 540x311px
Does anyone have the scenarios for this? Really want to play it on Vassal but no idea what I should be doing.
>>
File: 20160103_183621.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160103_183621.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>44641843
It's me again from last thread.
I picked that and 6 other games up on Craigslist the other Sunday.

I've sorted the contents for Claustrophobia, but it'll be a miracle if I can find any of my friends to play with me. That being the case, I don't know anything about it.

What do you mean by scenarios?
If there's any way I can help with my copy, let me know- just know I won't be able to do any kind of scans until Monday.
>>
>>44642168
In the main rule book it has the scenarios for mission, should be six of them.

I've been trying to find them online everywhere but I can't / no one seems to have scans or uploads of them.
>>
>>44642910
Nigga your google-fu is weak.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76615/claustrophobia-scenarios-and-campaign-book
>>
>>44642982
I have nothing to say except hold my head in shame.
>>
File: 32451234214.jpg (93KB, 1008x303px) Image search: [Google]
32451234214.jpg
93KB, 1008x303px
>>44642168
>>44642982

Actually, I take it back.

My Vassal module seems to have scenarios which I'm unable to find the mission of in that 14 page one.

No idea why?
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 639x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 639x320px
Anyone backing this? I went pretty heavy into the original, but after playing that I don't think I'm going to bother with this one. Love the art and theme, but there's just not much depth to speak of. That and brutally hard games don't appeal to many people I know.
>>
>>44628082
If you buy Devastation+Extended from their store you get enough bonus points to get it for free. I'm not sure if you'll have to order it separately since bonus points seem to be applied after purchase, but I'm sure you could email them and explain.
Alternatively, you could sign up for the newsletter which gets you 15 bonus points, and signing up gives you 10, so you could get it for the cost of shipping.
>>
>>44644741
I too love the artwork of the original and backed the KS, but getting curb-stomped at random isn't the most appealing game result for me either. Haven't decided if I'm going to back this or not. There are other games and KS out there right now that seem more appealing.
>>
>>44644741
I played the base game once, totally turned me off to the idea. I liked it beforehand, and I wanted to enjoy it, but it's just not entertaining.
>>
>>44644741
I don't have the original, so depending on what all it contains I might or might not.
>>
Thoughts on Pixel Tactics?
>>
>>44644802

I don't see a way to pay with points. Some of the fighters are listed as points, while most just say $8+shipping.

And overall, it's a break even. They sell all their games at MSRP, so I'd actually save money buying the games elsewhere.
>>
File: Isle of Skye.jpg (1MB, 1339x1934px) Image search: [Google]
Isle of Skye.jpg
1MB, 1339x1934px
So I'm kind of curious about this game and I have been wondering if it's worth buying. Anyone played it and if so, what were your thoughts about it?
>>
>>44632266

That's like saying they erased Rey from Episodes 4-6. She wasn't alive when the Death Star(s) were around, so why would she be in a game about them?

SW Monopoly is adding her, so it's k.
>>
File: pu.png (29KB, 1041x619px) Image search: [Google]
pu.png
29KB, 1041x619px
>>44648969
It's in fine print.
Not really worth it with shipping if you buy one at a time, it's like 7 dollars for one.
>>
>>44631184
Oh damn I hope I'm not too late. Don't listen to thise cretins at all, Betrayal at blah blah is absolute garbage. An entire game of random boredom that puts Talisman to shame and there is no replayability whatsoever. Reading a different line of a textbook does not equal replayability when you go through the same dross every single game.
>>
>>44649219

Thanks man. Claus promo and Resistor_ for $22, I'm satisfied.

Anyone else feel the overwhelming need to own anything and everything for particular games? I'm afraid if I start X-Wing or Armada, I'll go broke.
>>
>>44649666
>Anyone else feel the overwhelming need to own anything and everything for particular games?
No, especially not if it's exclusive. I don't look into expansions until I've played a game several times, and I don't buy things that don't add gameplay value.
>>
>>44635543
I thought game of thrones was fun
>>
>>44649978
Isn't bad, but Rex beats in basically every area, including playtime, which is much too long in aGoT.
Might do slightly better at <6 than Rex, though.
>>
>>44649114
I'm sure someone in my group will buy it soon with all the praise it's getting. Only recently found out how it's played from Joel Eddy's review the other day. Looks to me like a lighter Keyflower, or maybe a Carcassone/For Sale hybrid? (both good imo) but the price-setting mechanic is very unique and I'm more than willing to try it
>>
>>44631824
>>44631852
No one you've been discussing with, but thanks for these. I've encountered a few of these already, and liked them a lot.

I just picked up the Carcassonne Big Box from Z-Man games the other day. It has Inns/Cathedrals, Trade/Builders, the River, Wheel of Fortune, and Hills/Sheep included. Are there many Carcassonne players in /bgg/? I am curious how often people play with multiple/all expansions at once, or whether in-house rules are very common. Excited to give it a try, I've only played the base game once prior.
>>
>>44651908
Never ever all at once.

One big expansion, one small expansion per play. All at once causes the game to take a fucking long time to play and everyone regrets it afterwards.
>>
>>44652123
That's very good to know. The temptation to dive head-in is pretty strong.

I'm considering playing with tiles randomized from all the sets, to diversify what we encounter each game, and just ignoring parts that don't apply to which expansions we are using (like trade good symbols when not using that expansion). Is that a fair idea? I know some of the sets have unique border layouts.
>>
>>44651908
I only have the base game. I know it's not much, but I can bring it out for newbs every now and then.
>>
File: Carcassonne BB5.jpg (205KB, 745x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carcassonne BB5.jpg
205KB, 745x600px
>>44651908
I've got that one too. About the only expansion I'm not a fan of is the 'Wheel of Fortune'. And I've got several friends that I enjoy playing Carc with a lot.
>>
File: Gaming Addiction.jpg (172KB, 775x943px) Image search: [Google]
Gaming Addiction.jpg
172KB, 775x943px
>>44649666
>Anyone else feel the overwhelming need to own anything and everything for particular games? I'm afraid if I start X-Wing or Armada, I'll go broke.

<Cough...>
OGRE Designer Edition
Eclipse
Heroes of Normandie
<Cough>
>>
>>44652514
Maybe it's "not much" in the context of how many expansions exist, but I got enough of a kick out of the base game to pick up the rest on faith. You can throw in whatever custom rules you want when it gets stale. You sound like you don't play it much, only for newbs? Why is that?

>>44652777
I am not very excited for Wheel of Fortune - it's definitely the odd one out. I'm a little peeved that they overlapped tiles between the base game and that expansion, such that the base game tiles have the advancement symbols for the Wheel on them. I also wish the Big Box had the new art style, I think the visual contrast between features is better. How many players do you think is most conducive to a good game? Does adding tiles (turns) change that significantly?
>>
>>44627874
Casual fag here. Can people suggest good 5 player board games, preferably bluff based ones? Already got Resistance: Avalon & Dead of Winter.
>>
>>44653652
Sheriff of Nottingham is a popular one.
>>
>>44653652
>BATTLE
>STAR
>GALACTICA
>>
>>44653880
>>44653652
Forgot to mention the following. Sherrif of Nottingham, Settlers of Catan 6p expansion & King of Tokyo. Ordered BSG a few days ago.
>>
>>44649961
That's fair. I get caught up in the possibilities that expansions add, and I end up overhyping myself into a purchase.

>>44652890
Yeah... It's easy to justify overspending on Kickstarter (for me, anyway). Less easy for retail products. I'm hoping that SW:Rebellion scratches my mini itch for that particular universe.
>>
>>44653089
Eh, hallf my collection is for newbs; see, when I started building my collection, I had the naive dream that my family and I could play a few games every so often. So far, all I've managed to get to the table are Hamsterrolle, Gemblo and a game that is literally "put these tiles in numerical order".
>>44653652
Saboteur, maybe Shadow Hunters (although that game gets better with more).
>>
>>44654470
>Yeah... It's easy to justify overspending on Kickstarter (for me, anyway).
I'm also willing to spend more on Kickstarter when they have attractive pledge levels or just to help out indies. There wasn't much that really interested me, though, in 2015, so it was easier to keep that in check.
>>
Played evolution with friends shortly after Christmas. We liked the game, but so much food was placed every round herbivores were untouchable. I repeated we just needed to meta the amount of food played. Instead they wanted to houserule/alter card numbers.

And yet, my wife's classmates from across the country played it andnhad nothing but fantastic griefing, extinction, and constant nom noming.

Lo and behold, I introduce it to some cousins, explicitly told them high food was unwise unless you could ensure you could abuse it alone, and it needs no fixes. Game state shifts frequently and cards deemed weak by my friends are valuable picks. The available combos explode.

Right now we are learning about fat tissues viability for the first time.

For such a light game, what a blast.
>>
>>44654831
Surely coming up with house rules after only one play isn't the best way to judge a game
>>
>>44654736
I understand. Good luck with the family, though I never succeeded. My family members are so diverse in their interests and personalities that no one game that I've found suits them all; not even "basics".
>>
>>44654850
It was after three, but the same thing happened each game: carnivores starved, or couldn't make enough of a dent. With more meta play, holy shit they are terrifying. It's wonderful what just small play style tweaks can do.

But yeah, I was annoyed at being the only one not having such a strong reactionary opinion of "Op card is OP".
>>
Can I ignore focus tokens in the Eldritch Horror expansions? They look like bullshit.
>>
What does /bgg/ think of the fan expansions for Eldritch Horror?

The king in yellow and children of yuggoth or something.

I'm definitely getting King in Yellow printed off after I actually get to play Eldritch Horror when it arrives, but what about the other one?
>>
>>44655330
You can do what you like, it's your game
>>
>>44655330
M8 its your game you can do whatever the fuck you want with it.
>>
>>44654827
I agree. I backed The Others because I'm a sucker for beautiful sculpts. Othter highlights are Mistfall, Between Two Cities, Millennium Blades, and Scythe.

Aside from that I've mostly backed light/party games, because I seem to only have time to play at larger social events recently.

I wish I could have backed Simurgh and the expansion, but $80 is pretty steep imo.
>>
File: 1443998494997[1].gif (188KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443998494997[1].gif
188KB, 550x400px
>>44629403
>Quick /bgg/, what gimme your face when you receive exploding kittens and CAH for Christmas from well meaning in-laws.
I'm the butter.
>>
>>44636543
The best advice on galaxy setup I can give is to look up the shattered ascention fan ruleset, they've got a bunch of premade maps on their site to look at.
>>
>>44656556
Will do. The ffg presets are rather meh.

Thanks
>>
Would it be possible to combine Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, Mansion of Madness, that deck building or card game or whatever (who's name escapes me at this moment) and Cthulhu Wars AND all of their expansions?
>>
Huh, so grizzled is a pretty intense affair. The mute card is adorable as well as frustrating, art and components feel fine for what you pay for (if not a bit better in quality), and its hard to alpha dog when so much vital information is kept hidden.

Only at 3, good time had by all. Can't wait to try again at 4 or 5.
>>
>>44657969
The game gets harder the more people you throw at it. At three, for example, you can actually win.
>>
>>44657895
Why stop there?

Also add in A Study in Emerald. If you lose against a great old one, then the players must simultaneously start up a game of Cthulhu Wars and A Study in Emerald, with the events of both games affecting the other. Half the players play cthulhu wars, and the other half play a study in emerald.
>>
>>44658226
Which we did, but without seeing some really fucked up hard knocks turn up, or show up late so as to be a non factor.

Still, was tight, spent multiple round with the end in sight without winning. Can't wait tonget creamed at 4-5
>>
>>44640675
There's a game store in Essendon?
Southeastern. My local moved to Ferntree Gully just as I started getting into the hobby, rip
>>
>>44658226
Well, it's damn near impossible to win with just 2 players. With 3 or more you can at least spread the hard knocks around a bit.
>>
>>44645076
Care to name me any good current KS campaigns? I was thinking or backing Dreadmire, but I'm curious if there something better currently on KS?
>>
>>44649114
I really like that game a lot. I've played it about five times now.

I really like the scoring. There are 16 or so scoring tiles. At the start of the game you randomly select 4 to use. Different combinations of the four tiles are then used for the scoring in each round.

I also enjoy the pricing/bidding mechanic more with each play. It's interesting because the value of each tile is dependent on the context of the scoring for that particular game, as well as what other players seem to be going for. At first I had no clue how to price my tiles, but now I think I have the hang of it.

I think the game plays great with 3-4 players. I would recommend starting out with a few 3 player games before moving on to 4. I will play it 5 player if people want to, but I find it a bit chaotic. With 5 players there is a lot of stuff to keep track of and feel like you'd have to be a mentat to really be good a 5 player.

Also:
-plays fairly quickly
-fairly original theme
-nice components

Everyone I have played it with has enjoyed it. I'd say go for it. Especially if you like either bidding or tile placement.
>>
>>44627874
Has anyone have any experience with elder sign. Ive played it 3 times now and every time it seemed really easy. Im 99% sure we are playing correctly and just wanted to check if its just us.

We talked about it after the 2nd game and a possible fix was to place monsters on all adventure cards at the start. Any help /tg/?
>>
>>44653954
different anon but Ive been hearing lots of good things about that game and Ive been looking for a good bluff based game as well but the thing is that Im not really a fan of the show and im pretty sure neither are my regular board game buddies.
Can i still enjoy the game even though I have no idea who most of the characters are since I dont watch the show?
I know cylons are evil robots but thats about all i really know about the series.
>>
Anyone here play zombicide?
A friend of mine got me Zombicide rue morgue for xmas though I havent played it yet. I was wondering about the previous seasons/expansions and how you incorporate them into season 3?

can you use the tile sets from previous games and create one big city map?
or are you just carrying over the previous characters,zombies and items to the recent game?

sorry, i know its a dumb question but its the first time ive ever dealt with board game expansions like this.
>>
I unboxed Devastation of Indines yesterday.

I a duplicate envelope for one character and an envelope for an other character missing. Is that a normal issue or should I get in contact with customer service?

Jesus is the game huge, also what's up with the insert I doubt that the sleeved cards will fit in there and there's no way they're going to fit with the envelope. Why the fuck would you give an envelope which doesn't fit the insert?!
>>
>>44652890

No. But I have a big urge to expand my collection. It's not even "more of the same" I just want a perfect roster of games at my disposal for every occasion. Currently sitting at 7 games and thinking of getting at least 7 more. And I got the first game less then 6 months ago.
>>
>>44662585

I played it twice. First time was a year ago at NYE, second was a few days ago.

Knowing *what the hell to do* is more important then knowing the setting. Maybe knowing the setting would enhance my playing experience, but as it was I had fun anyway.

Our group is still not that experienced (only 3 people that really know how to play and they're taking it easy) so there was no big Cylon shenanigans. But even without very competent Cylons it's hard to win (one came out too quickly because he didn't know what he was doing).
>>
>>44659847
There's a Next Level Games that just opened recently.

I have a bunch of friends in the eastern and southeastern suburbs, but still not ware of any game stores over there
>>
>>44662754
you can mix and match as much as you want.
>>
>>44662793
The insert is dumb. Toss it out, mgmt your own or bag the envelopes. Also contact lvl99 about the missing components, they have fairly good customer service.
>>
>>44662754

Tbh, a custom game is pretty simple with that system.

L4d mode? Make an S pattern with spawn points along the way that activate when you get so close

Survival mode? Keep track of turns, every X turns draw Y additional cards per spawn

Etc etc.

I'm not too aware of what's in rue morg, but I've got the first 2, and to my knowledge they never made cars feel right. At least they fixed it a little from the original design. First zombicide game I played, me and some girl were clearing out and searching some buildings while these 4 guys were in a car just obliterating everything. If it couldn't be ran over they just shot it. This went on for like 6-7 rounds before they leveled up enough or something to win the scenario. Was convinced the game was shit for a long time.
>>
>>44657969
I wish this game wasn't so good at defeating the mood of the people I play with. I'm glad I own it, but people get visibly and audibly somber. Must be a combination of the theme and the mechanics, especially how certain things are limited on communication.

Like, with other coops, whenever we fail a specific condition, everyone shouts and sighs and laughs. With this, someone says "we failed" and we give it a moment's silence before I have to say something to move it along
>>44662793
email lvl99 for the missing envelope. They'll take care of you.

As for the insert, I can only assume their thought process was "everyone is just going to throw it out, so let's not spend too much effort on this." Throw it out and look up storage solutions.

I got color-coded deckboxes that fit each of the 5 flights (Devastation flights 2-3-4 combined with War flights 1-2-3), but my token storage sucks.

My friend's solution is better, he got a few dozen 50-card clear acrylic deckboxes and put the full kit for each character in each one. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the envelopes, he actually cut them up and pasted them to the sides of the boxes
>>
>>44634209
Center of the country, just got mine in yesterday. Came in a big 41-pound U-haul box. I know the thread said "most of these are unplayed" but I did not expect all but one to be on shrink and unpunched. One game box was a little warpy, and another a bit ripped, but all in all more than worth the discount. I knew I was buying secondhand from across an ocean, after all. The warpy one (CO2) seemed like old moisture issues and not from this shipment, at least.

Also Alhambra Big Box is a nightmare. I've been spoiled by Z-Man big boxes telling you exactly where things go. Queen just has a brief illustration for five Alhambra xpacs.
>>
File: No Rationality.jpg (122KB, 768x624px) Image search: [Google]
No Rationality.jpg
122KB, 768x624px
>>44662818
>I just want a perfect roster of games at my disposal for every occasion. Currently sitting at 7 games and thinking of getting at least 7 more. And I got the first game less then 6 months ago.

You sound like you have that 'horrible' disease known as 'self-discipline' or 'rationality'. ;) I tend to buy bunches of games simply for the discount from CSI or MM / Cardhaus. And I probably buy more often than I should, but I like my collection. If you haven't checked out the pastebin link in the OP at the top of the thread, do so, it's got links to online discount sellers. (And if you want anything from Asmodee / FFG at a discount you may want to purchase soon - they're talking about doing away with most online discount sellers.) And if you haven't already checked out the boardgamegeek.com web site and set up an account, it's worth it just to keep track of your collection. There's also the 'gameshelf' web site that connects to your collection via geek and helps pick out games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/

http://www.gameshelf.se/
>>
>>44662793
My solution was to get 4x3 ziplocs and just put everything relating to a character into one bag. It's not exactly easy to find a particular character since they're all just in the box without any order, but it's a cheap and simple way to keep everything together.
>>
>>44665275
They're not gonna do away with CSI/MM, especially since coolstuff had the genius to separate their B&M and online stores years ago as separate corporate entities, the discount looks to be going down due to higher wholesale prices to OGS. Last estimate was 25% off MSRP will be the new norm for ANA goods, but we'll know for sure in April, plus with Amazon not part of the deal you'll still find good sales from time to time there.

>>44662818
I felt like this a lot when I started collecting, and still before any purchase consider if I already have a game that serves the same purpose in my collection. Making a buy list has helped me out tremendously, especially when sales/cons come around and I've got 5 games all at prices I can rationalize paying but can't decide which to grab. Knowing the bgg recommended player count vs publisher count, avg weight of the game, etc and then comparing that to what's already hit the table in the last 6-12 months, has saved me tons of cash compared to when I first started and just bought what I thought would be best.

Also this, I'm not a big fan of Chaz but he has good insights every so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3x_YZo3EI8
>>
>>44662585
not even required to know the setting, only the rules. Regardless of knowing the background this game provides the best traitor/bluffing experience imo. I doesn't even get boring, because its mostly about human decisions, interaction and fucking things up. Pretty cool, we always play at least 1 / session. Drawback is, sometimes it can take long, depending on the skills of players and the crisis/destination deck. Like up to 3-4 hours.
>>
>>44662818
+1 to this I am collecting in the same way. A game for every occasion.
>>
>>44652890
>Own literally all of these except Ogre.
>Though I have KDM to make up for that.
>$300+ deep in Xwing.
>$200 of HoN.
Help.
>>
>>44664680
>>44664831

Thanks guys, I'll craft an email to Level 99 games tomorrow and wish for the best. I hope nothing else is missing ;/.

Re the insert I'll probably make my own using foamcore. I'll finally have time this week to finish the one I started for Kemet.
>>
>>44666057
>literally all of these
>list has three items
>except Ogre

I don't think the superlative was necessary here. I know you probably don't care.
>>
Just got Hive from a charity shop for £2, good start to the year for me, any tips for it? What are the expansions like?
>>
File: collection.png (461KB, 1746x362px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
461KB, 1746x362px
>>44665275
>>44665727
>>44665861

Well to be honest I thought I was compulsive buyer not a "rational" one. Like I said my friends make fun of me for buying so much of them.

I often bought from amazon previously, but as I'm in Poland I recently noticed that often the games are simply much cheaper in polish shops.

My current collection is pic related (also apparently I can't count), and I more or less know what I want to get:
> 4x game
> Last Night on Earth for that PvM
> Splendor for a light euro
> Sheriff of Nottingham for bluffing game
> Mysterium for a party game
> Chaos in the Old World for a "deep" game
> A social deduction game
> Non social deduction game for 7+
> Dedicated game for 3 people

After that I don't think I'll need to expand my collection much, maybe in the direction of 1v1 games because I play most often with my gf.
>>
>>44665727
>Last estimate was 25% off MSRP will be the new norm for ANA goods, but we'll know for sure in April, plus with Amazon not part of the deal you'll still find good sales from time to time there.

This is why I'm not waiting until April to order the stuff I really want. There are other games I'll wait on if they're going to be at a deeper discount for longer. I'm not hurting for games to play but I'd definitely like more. (I... I'm not addicted! I can quite any time I want.) :)
>>
>>44666380
>Well to be honest I thought I was compulsive buyer not a "rational" one.

My collection - without all the expansions ----> >>44630487

Sure, I've got a few years (or decades) on you, but we've all got to start somewhere. (And I started in the late 70's early 80's.)

> (also apparently I can't count)
We'll just assume that you were thinking of "7 of 9" of Star Trek. We can see how you'd get distracted...
>>
>>44666380
Pic related, this is a real compulsive buyer's shelf. I've only been collecting for about a year and a half. Not pictured: KD:M ($500), various Kickstarters.

How much did you pay for Starcraft? I've heard the game isn't that good, but it's still a personal white whale.
>>
File: Addiction.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
Addiction.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>44666598
Forgot pic, herp derp.
>>
>>44666598

This one was me:
>>44629037

I don't know maybe it's the rose glasses talking but I like starcraft. It's much better then GoT (to which it's similar) but broader in scope, with much strategy and tactics.

There are things I dislike e.g by virtue of how card combat works certain combination of units don't work so well. This could be explained by well certain combinations of units not working well in the computer game but there's no rhyme or reason to it just "they both share some card".

Also your collection is big, at least
>>44666497
started before I was a spec in my dad's ballsack.
>>
>>44631852

>No Codenames
>No Blood Rage

Out of date as fuck.
>>
File: Collection.jpg (2MB, 3040x2688px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.jpg
2MB, 3040x2688px
I might be the biggest impulse buyer here, since this is what I have after starting to collect in April of last year.

Couldn't really get a better picture since I'm in the process of moving. (closet door wouldn't be there normally to get better light on right pic, etc.)
>>
>>44666971

Mirin' storage space. I only have two shevels freely available and have to judiciously look for more.
>>
>>44667004
The place I'm moving into has an office space I'm converting into a game room, so I'll have a little more space combined with actually having a proper table to game on rather than my dining room table.

>>44666702
Not the guy you were replying to, but I don't think I'll ever get Codenames since the game just doesn't interest me whatsoever.
>>
So this Christmas I joined the ULTRA EXCLUSIVE group of 'board gamers who own Kallax shelves'.

Still trying to figure out a better way for organizing.

The one empty spot is where RPG books are gonna go.
>>
File: 0109161215.jpg (7MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
0109161215.jpg
7MB, 5312x2988px
>>44667127
Wow, forgot my image.
>>
>>44667127
>>44667161

Oh shit, there's a Hawken card game? Is it any good?

I playtested Dark Moon, couldn't justify the cost of the game. How have you and your group(s) liked it?
>>
>>44667233
The Hawken card game is alright. It's a 'real time' game where both players drawn and play cards simultaneously so there will be things like armor plating, speed values, primary and secondary weapons, and special abilities. A player can declare 'fire' and then the card play stops. You check who's the fastest mech, they can control range or a bit of bonus damage, then mechs will generate heat and then apply their damage. Last mech standing wins.

It's something I was fine with spending the like $15 to get the two packs for. Nothing really special, pretty simple, but it's alright.
>>
>>44667353
Oh, and damage you deal discards cards of the opponent's deck, so once your deck runs out you have to reshuffle, each person gets two reshuffles. If your deck runs out a third time: BOOM.
>>
Anyone else look at the numenera board game that's up on kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loneshark/the-ninth-world-a-skillbuilding-game-for-numenera

Honestly looks kinda like a dud to me. It's literally just a bidding game all the way down. The 'skill building' doesn't really look particularly thematic or exciting and there's practically no difference between any of the phases just what kind of 'currency' you're generating to perform actions or buy cards. And the graphic design is painfully bland especially on the 'skill cards' which are what you're going to be staring at for 90% of the game. Plus the other card artwork is just like everything in Numenera so far in that is spans the gap between bargain bin (top left) to pretty damn good (rest of them) with no real unifying style or theme.
>>
>>44668974
I'm cool with Thunderstone: Numenara, don't need another game in that universe.

The game doesn't look too interesting though, I agree.
>>
>>44668974
Another one? Christ, how badly are they going to whore this setting out? This is at least the fourth Numenera tabletop game I've seen.
>>
>>44669018
>Thunderstone: Numenara
mah nigga
>>
File: 1847049-1311190005938.jpg (111KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1847049-1311190005938.jpg
111KB, 853x480px
>>44668974
>>
>>44666380
> Non social deduction game for 7+
Does such a thing exist?
Seven Wonders, sure. But for more than 7?
>>
>>44671267
Codenames
>>
>>44671337
Sounds like deduction to me
>>
>>44671267
The games I've been considering are:

Caverna tops at 7
Bohnanza tops at 8
Concept tops at 12
Tsuro tops at 12
Steampunk Rallyo tops at 8
Timeline: Inventions tops at 8
RoboRally tops at 8
Camel Up tops at 8
Telestrations tops at 8
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen tops at 20
>>
>>44671982
Caverna and RoboRally will both run way too long with max player count. RoboRally needs to follow Steev's TI3 advice: keep it below player max, and keep the map small and you'll have a much better time.
>>
File: pic339497_lg.jpg (266KB, 810x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pic339497_lg.jpg
266KB, 810x1024px
>>44671267
>>44671982
Pic related best with 10 players. Biggest downside is of course the 1200 hours playtime.
>>
whats a good way to get your friends to play twilight imperium? To those that play it, how did you get your friends into?
really want to play this game but im kinda afraid its going to be too much for my casual board game group.

so far the games we've played are 7wonders, catan, betrayal, dead of winter and some D&D3.5 when we get the chance.
>>
>>44673133

Honestly anon, tell them about it. All of it. If they want to try it then go for it. I would highly recommend against getting someone to play it with an attitude equal to or less than hesitant
>>
>>44671512
Deduction is not the same social deduction.
>>
Anyone got KDMs Lantern Festival scanned?
>>
>>44673298
>I would highly recommend against getting someone to play it with an attitude equal to or less than hesitant
On the other hand, there's some entertainment to be gleaned from several days of your brother complaning about how long the last game took.
>>
>>44673636
I think he's asking for non-(social deduction).

Doesn't want Social or Deduction maybe?
>>
>>44675777
>On the other hand, there's some entertainment to be gleaned from several days of your brother complaning about how long the last game took.

Heh! My brother helped get me into board gaming in general when I was much younger. He actually bought me the classic SPI 'Starship Troopers' game. Sadly I don't get to see him much as he lives far away, but I'm glad he got me into gaming.
>>
>>44676452
"Social Deduction" is a term for games like werewolf or resistance where players are trying to deduce roles or other information about other players, some of which are trying to keep there identity. It's a subset of deduction games, but distinctly different from traditional deduction games.
>>
>>44662087
It is kinda sorta easy mode, especially if you've had some experience with co-ops. I've had some stunningly difficult games tho, depends a lot on rolls and adventure card draws.
You can also try drawing an additional mythos card before starting, and customizing your adventure deck. Leave the easiest ones --few dice needed, no penalties-- in the box, and keep the dice lock/monster/midnight effect/terror effect/sanity loss adventures in.
Unseen forces expansion includes a hard mode mythos deck option and new, tougher adventures and elder gods,
>>
>>44672705
super detailed = lots of rules
intensive = lots of time
simulation = yet more rules
maximum realism = armchair general's war history nerdgasm guaranteed

what's not to love?
>>
>>44662087
yeah, I have it, most of the time its pretty easy, but it can be hard or impossible if certain adventure card combinations come out. If you want to make it harder, try this, I've got it from ffg/bgg forums:
>EARCH THE MUSEUM
During setup, arrange the six Adventure cards in 2 columns of 3 rows height FACEDOWN with the Entrance on the bottom adjacent to both of the bottom 2 Adventure cards. Investigators start at the entrance.

At the start of a player's turn, they may move their Investigator 1 adjacent space for free. Each adventure card is considered 1 space. A player may not move diagonally. The Entrance is considered to be adjacent to BOTH of the bottom 2 Adventure cards. If a facedown adventure card is moved onto, it is turned faceup and any Terror effects happen once immediately (but not At Midnight effects, even if it's midnght).

After a player has used their free move, they may spend 1 Clue token ONCE to move 1 more space.

After a player has used their free move (and possibly a Clue move), or declined to move, they may do one (only one) of the following 4 things:
1) end their turn (moving to the Advance the Clock step).
2) attempt to Resolve the Adventure they are on.
3) "Receive First Aid" following the same menu as on the Entrance card. (They rest or take medicine.)
4) "Search the Lost and Found" following the same menu as on the Entrance card. (They loot the room)
NOTE: Options 3 and 4 are NOT available if there are any monsters present on the Adventure card that the Active player's Investigator is currently on.
NOTE: Options 3 and 4 are still always available at the Entrance along with the ability to "Buy a Souvenir."
1/2
>>
>>44679158
>2/2
When an Adventure card is successfully resolved, any Investigators currently on it are moved to an adjacent space of the players' choice (multiple Investigators can be moved to the same or separate spaces). If facedown Adventure cards are moved onto this way, they ARE turned faceup. Then, the resolved Adventure is removed and a new Adventure card is placed FACEDOWN in its place.

When an Other World adventure appears, set it FACEDOWN adjacent to the space which the Active player is currently on. If there is already an Other World adventure adjacent to that space or the Active player is at the Entrance, set the new Other World adventure adjacent to any other regular adventure card. (In the rare case that there are already Other World adventures adjacent to all 6 regular Adventure cards, new Other World adventures cannot appear.)

When a monster appears, it must be added to a faceup Adventure card. If there are none, the monster doesn't appear.
>>
>>44678925
Seconding this, it's kinda easy straight outta the box, though the expansions do make it a bit harder. The app somewhat ruined the base game for me, because it seems like simulated dice are meaner to me than physical ones, plus the C'thulu/Ithaqua boss expansions are just brutal compared to anything in the standard deck. I've seen they're adding an Alaska themed expansion for the cardboard version, so between that and the great things I've heard about Gates of Arkham I might have to dust off my copy and try it again.

>>44679197
>>44679158
Sounds similar to Gates of Arkham rules that have you placing 3 adventures face down and other world adventures closing off real world adventures til resolved.
>>
File: 1416063108341.jpg (124KB, 845x634px) Image search: [Google]
1416063108341.jpg
124KB, 845x634px
>>44679066
>what's not to love?
The fact that most of us don't have a spare room to dedicate to that one board game, and 20 to life in prison in order finish playing it? :)
>>
>>44679475
I thought it was a campaign for North Africa. Looks to me like North Africa makes up a tiny tiny portion of that map. An afterthought, really.
>>
>>44675075
Not even in bakcers' hands yet. Expect backers to get it Q1 here, retail TBA.
>>
>>44679879
reverse-searched that image, seems it's not Campaign for North Africa, but several Europa Series modules linked together. Also, not nearly all the modules set in that picture.
>>
File: asdf.gif (2MB, 390x285px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.gif
2MB, 390x285px
TI3 expansions back in stock.
No money for games.
mfw
>>
File: IMG_1699.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1699.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I played the cave last night. I lost and it was a lot of fun.
>>
>>44682527
Tell me about the game. I have an unhealthy need for more exploration games.
>>
File: pic2663291.jpg (2MB, 2048x1432px) Image search: [Google]
pic2663291.jpg
2MB, 2048x1432px
thinking of getting this. anyone know if its better than the last printing ? I only tried Nations from this genre and it was very good. Is this similar ?
>>
>>44672705
I'm just coming off a 15-month stint as a military operations planner IRL and I have no idea why anyone would want to make a game out of this.
>>
>>44684041
WWII nerds have an enormous collective boner for Gen. Rommel's shenanigans in N Africa.
>>
>>44684041
Because we all like to think we're the next 'history's greatest strategic genius'? (Especially when it doesn't count and screwing up doesn't really get anyone killed...) That and it's good mental exercise as well a way to have a better understanding of historical events (without all the blood and gore). And surprisingly enough, a few of us are odd enough to find it appealing.

> I'm destine to make this post - the captcha image was 'luft-waffles'.
>>
>>44683527
Heh, beat me to it! Now I just need to figure out who makes this game so I can add it to my wish list.
>>
Where are warmachina/hordes tred?
>>
>>44686726
It's called The Cave. It's made by the same person that made K2. Adam Kaluza.

>>44683527
Got any recommendations for other exploration games?
>>
>>44687722
Try looking through the catalog?
>>
>>44688183
I did indeed find the info:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129351/cave
>>
File: Campaign for North Africa.jpg (34KB, 882x522px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign for North Africa.jpg
34KB, 882x522px
>>44679879
If you must have the 'exact' map....
>>
I'm going to place an order for some board games soon. And I want to round out my order, but I'm not sure which item(s) to get...

Fury of Dracula
Mission: Red Planet
or
Kemet & Ta-Seti Expansion

I'm wanting to get the things on my wish list before FFG / Asmodee jack up the prices for online sellers.

Wat do?
>>
>>44689582
I fucking haaaaate paper mats and maps. They NEVER lay flat and shit always slides everywhere.

I get neoprene mats for almost everything that requires lots of cards or chits. Easy to store, lays flat, and is easy to pick stuff up off of.
>>
>>44690097
I wouldn't argue with you at all Anon. Most gamers I know prefer the heavy card stock or thick stock map tiles (like Heroes of Normandie). The only draw back is that they can weigh a butt-load if you have a lot of them. A lot of gamers end up getting sheets of plex to lay down on top of paper maps to ensure they stay flat. Kind of a pain, but better than having chits and pieces slide to the wrong spot constantly.
>>
>>44690027
I'd go for fury and kemet.
Red planet is good, but not nearly as delicious as the other two.
>>
>>44690027
I'd go with Mission, but that's just me being a sci-fi pulp fan. FoD has gotten a ton of hype as well.
>>
>>44690484
>>44690555
In short - buy them all. I KNEW IT! ;)

> Later At Anon's house....
"But honey, /tg/ told me to get them all..."
>>
>>44691492
Sounds like a plan, mate!
>>
>>44691992
The unfortunate part is that I'm looking at about $260 worth of board games if I try and snag all the Asmodee / FFG stuff in one order before the price increase...
>>
>>44692454
You've got 3 months, and it's not entirely solid that there will be a price increase, the margin change for OGS is rumored to only be 5%. I'm actually going the other direction and waiting to see what CSI/MM do after the switchover. They dropped prices on everything in inventory last year trying to race to the bottom against each other and Amazon; with all the competition between online sellers it might not change anything at all among the big names.
>>
>>44692925
I do think it'll be interesting to see what changes shake out with the whole FFG / Asmodee deal. I'm unlikely to drop $260 in a single order now, but I definitely want to place an order soon for a couple of games. (Not that I'm addicted to gaming or anything Senpai...) Hopefully the changes won't harm us (the consumers) or the places like CSI / MM / Cardhaus that have been providing good service. Time will tell.
>>
>>44693223
If a price hike hits the largest online retailers too hard their sales will probably hurt as well. Unless they can set up a logistically effective chain of distribution able to compete, they're probably better off going easy on them.
>>
>>44693350
You would think this would be self-evident, but you're talking about Bankers and Investors, and they don't often think that way. Hell, GW effectively killed the online sales of their products in North America out side of their own web outlet. Their sales took a huge hit and never recovered, but GW continues with the practice.
>>
Played my first game of Nightfall today with mixed reactions.

I mostly liked it but I've found some elements strange.

One player loathed it and doesn't want to play ever again. He was the last player and couldn't chain off anybody and was really salty that he got a couple of wounds and was of to a bad start.

Second player liked it but said he'd have to play more.

Third and one said that he doesn't like it but he's willing to play again. He liked it at first and said it was similar to m:tg but then he noticed that minions don't persist and was pretty bummed about that. He also said that the game was too quick, there's not much you can do in the first couple of rounds because the minions are one colored.

Me I liked it, but I also agree with the third player. The minions "go to quick" and I found that strange both how does that function "outside of the game" (what does it signify that a minion is discarded after attacking) and also I found that weird from a game play perspective. The game *does* go to quickly, or maybe we're just noobs - I managed to grab 3-4 minions and maybe attack with them once before the game was over.

The chaining mechanic seems *awesome* kind of like a translated m:tg. stack and is pretty distinctive.

Thoughts?
>>
>>44695481

Another weird thing was that minions that have 0 attack... attack. I lost my "Bad Smoke" minion that way and he seemed pretty useful.

I hope I get to play it again soon because it seems like it has depth and will play kind of awesome once everyone is familiar but I'm also afraid that people (and me) won't like it because of some quirky mechanics and overall pace of the game. I'm pretty sure that if the game finishes off as quickly as the first *I* won't want to play it.
>>
I finished my first run of 80 Days last night fuck you, Nemo, you noble cunt and I'd like to get something as close as that in board game form. Anybody know if that's possible?
>>
>>44697687
<Ahem> There's the 'Nemo' Kick Starter. <Wink Wink, Nudge, Nudge...>

Otherwise, no I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
>>
>>44697929
Hmmmmmmm... not really a fan of solo player games, but I do love me some Jules Verne... I'll ask KS to remind me of its existence, maybe I'll have the scratch to back it.

On a tangential note, why is the Steve Coogan/Jackie Chan 80 Days Around The World movie so shit? It's got fun visuals, but it fucks up EVERYTHING else...
>>
>>44695481
>>44695568

Bad smoke specifically says it stays on the battlefield after attacking. It only diea after blocking enough damage for you.

The thing about nightfall, is that you have to be ready to have creatures stay in hand to pop out on another players turn to attack/defend, but you also need to keep backup in your hand for your own turn. This way, after losing your army to attacks, you can refill your board position.

There are also several monsters in the base set that stay in the battlefield after the attack step, a ghoul and a vampire or two. Otherwise, the game wouldn't really work. Having an alpha werewolf or two attack every turn means the game will end absurdly fast.

I would recommend looking up the alternative draft rules for nightfall, to try and ease colour screwing. Also, the guy that got sour after a few sounds and being "last" (which means so little with the existence of the chain mechanic), sounds like a real poor sport in this case, unless something is being left out.

My gang has a bunch of mtg veterans, and we all love it, and understand why things are the way they are. It's quick, conscious, and requires a bit of politicking like in any multiplayer card game.

Give it a few more tries, and try to further grok how the chain mechanic ties all the other rules together. It's both your enemy and your friend.
>>
File: maxresdefault (11).jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (11).jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
WHAT'S THE PASS FOR THE /tg/ FURY OF DRACULA ROOM
>>
I want to build a bit of a games library, but I'm not sure what I should get. Any tips, /tg?

I've got Catan, Masquerade, Talisman, Kingdom Death, Time Babies and a couple of others already.
Probably going to go for fairly accessible games over more indepth ones like Talisman for now.

I was thinking Castles of Mad King Ludwig to start with, but any suggestions would be excellent
>>
>>44699671
need more info before we can help you sempai. How many players? What kind of games do you like? What do you like about them? What sort of games are you interested in getting that you don't already have? etc, etc
>>
File: here we go.gif (5MB, 648x264px) Image search: [Google]
here we go.gif
5MB, 648x264px
>>44699671
Oh god, you said its name...
>>
>>44700429
I didn't see Betrayal listed down anywhere there...
>>
File: IMG_1705.jpg (1MB, 2784x1544px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1705.jpg
1MB, 2784x1544px
Here's my modest collection.
>>
>>44701305
That's some srs dedication to the deckbuilder and drafting genres.
>>
>>44701436
I actually bought Arctic Scavengers, 3012, Nightfall, and Race for the Galaxy at the same time. I wanted to learn about the genre. I still haven't played Nightfall or Race for the Galaxy but I read through the manuals and looked at the cards.

I'm going to make my own deckbuilding game. I want to learn how others play. I've got some ideas of my own, just figured I'd see what is going to mix well with mine.
>>
>>44701305
Not bad Anon, I'd gladly game at your place. :)
>>
File: 1370689896023.png (259KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1370689896023.png
259KB, 640x480px
Anyone get any fun gaming in this weekend?
>>
>>44701693
Hells yea.

Went to Toronto with my wife for a wedding gift activity we received over a year ago (helicopter ride over the city). My best man is there currently finishing up med school, so we stayed at his place. After a long ass drive, we gamed/ watched the office until two in the morning. Next day, it's foggy and rainy, so we call up the tour people, and lo and behold, ride is cancelled. So we go to Snakes and Lattes, Toronto's gaming cafe, and tried out Kemet for the first time. I thought it was really neat, though my wife thought it was similar to a bunch of other games we had, and thought we should hold off on getting it.

All in all, I played summoner wars, Evolution (carnivores were terrifying for once, and we discovered the awesomness that is fat tissue), the Grizzled, which i had bought a few days beforehand, and Kemet. For a two day weekend in Toronto, it was not that painful, even with only three players for gaming. We will be back in late February to try again for this helicopter thing, and we will crash with my mate in the heart of the city again.

Meanwhile, a game night my other friends were trying to host on Saturday fell through, despite me lending them some solid stuff (7 wonders, bloodbowl, incan gold). They just played magic all afternoon.

I feel like I won the weekend.
>>
>>44701827
Sweet.

>>44701693
Some summoner wars, and teaching some guys from the Netrunner general Fury of Dracula on tabletop sim.
>>
>>44701827
I should add we were impressed with snakes and Lattes. We have been to gaming cafes in Victoria and Montreal, and this was by far the best. Interactivity Board Game cafe in Victoria has a better selection that suits my tastes, and damn fine milkshakes, but S&Ls had incredible room, solid service, and lots of little details that I would take note of if I were to open my own place (drawers for pens and papers and accessories, a spot to place games if they were brought to you/you are unsure where they go, category stickers on difficulty and game type, LOTS of family and children friendly games, etc.).

Montreal's board game pub is too crowded, several games were missing pieces when we opened them up (no rules or board for king of tokyo, missing set of "cards" for skulls and roses, etc.), and as its a bar, you can't bring your kids or minors. However, I have only been once, and on Halloween to boot, so maybe it deserves another shot. Would help if they had Kemet there as well...

>the captcha wanted milkshakes
>whatthefuck
>>
>>44701693
Beat another chapter of Mice & Mystics last night with one group.

Was introduced to 7 Wonders today with another group, then taught them Blood Rage. Lost miserably at the latter again, but at least I managed to be disruptive a couple times.
>>
>>44701693
Sadly, no. This weekend and next are gonna be taken up by moving.

Weekend after that though is an all day marathon though so I can live with it.
>>
>>44702059
>and as its a bar, you can't bring your kids or minors

That's a plus imo
>>
>>44702447

Depends. I have family who I game with that are 15-16, and they can't join the gang if we were to go there. Other places have liquor licenses, and can serve alcohol, but kids are welcome as it isn't a pub establishment.

Besides, at the cafe there was a birthday party in the backroom, did not bother us one bit. Table beside us had their two children (between 7 and 10?), and they enjoyed themselves without any issue.

Boston Pizza, later that night on the ride home though...holy shit, spawns of satan everywhere. Crayons flying over my head.

When I have kids that are old enough to game, I would like to take them out to game nights.

As is, the only options are locally run events at game stores, which compete for table space with the magic and yugi-oh crowds.

I guess I would just like more options is all. Also, pub food and cafe food, while both absurdly priced, are different sorts of grub. Sometimes one is preferred over the other.
>>
I just picked up Catacombs the other day. Just finished putting on all the stickers and im in the process of learning how to play so that I can be ready for my game group on Friday. Seems like a really fun, slightly casual game, but I was wondering if anyone's played it before and has some tips or anything? I've read that it can be heavily slanted in the overlords favor, and a lot of people house rule things to make it more fair, but I wouldn't know where to start there.
>>
>>44701693
Creating some RPG characters, and once we were done I introduced the group to Dixit. They had fun, and at one point 4 out 5 people ended up singing a song as result of one of the cards. I was like "Great, now I'll have to tell the wife we were playing a board game and a musical broke out..." I can definitely see getting in some good games when some of our group can't make it to the regular game night.
>>
>>44703093
I love Dixit when weird or inspirational stuff breaks out, especially with people you are not expecting it from.

On new years eve several eyars ago, it got brought out, and the best clue I have heard so far, came from my wife's uncle: "It looked so easy when I started". He had the kid trying to chop down a tree whose upper branches lead into the whimsical nothingness of space and time. And yet everyone had something fun to put down.

It is a bit weird when it turns into cards against humanity. "What my period looks like". Yes Sylvia, we get it, you want to talk about yourself all night. But not next to the father and young son playing netrunner.
>>
Don't you die on me!
>>
>>44701693
managed to squeeze in a late sunday night of gaming, played a couple rounds of Bang the Dice game and tried Spyfall. I'm thinking I need to try that game again with more than 3 players and some drinks. After that we played Fury of Dracula for the first time, with me at the titular bloodsucker. It was pretty good, although I done-goofed pretty bad at the start.
>>
Want to buy

>Eclipse
>Kemet
>Viticulture

All £40 and I can't justify it because we find it hard enough to play all the games already. Why is there not more time in the day?
>>
>>44706655
Time to quit your jobs and learn to live off of cardboard and meeples anon. I recommend stir frying them with a dollop of soy sauce.
>>
>>44701693

Played StarCraft, Nightfall and Imperial Settlers on Sunday.

StarCraft was cool, though once again one player won that was left alone why the three of us duked it out between each other. I think we make some fundamental mistakes when building the galaxy because the person that manages to have the least connections usually wins.

I described Nightfall here:
>>44695481

Imperial Settlers was nice, though the "multiplayer solitaire" aspect is becoming obvious. Most of the time you *don't want* interaction between you and other players because it's not effective most of the time. There are minor exceptions - like cards that give you VPs for throwing in wrenches at the opponent but most of the time it's better to concentrate on your engine then try to fuck up someone else's. Don't get me wrong I still like it - Settlers 2 was one of my favorite computer games and that vibe is *strong* in Imperial Settlers.

After 10hrs+ of playing board games I thought I was going to sleep easily because, man, I was *beat*. I trashed and turned and couldn't sleep for 1.5hrs and didn't sleep that well. Dunno why.
>>
>>44699322

Yeah what I mean was that my Bad Smoke had to attack opponents with minions and got his shit pushed in (one died one had 2 hp left). It's just weird for me that a dedicated defender card has to attack this way.

I'll check out bgg for the alternative drafting rules.

The guy that got sour is often sour, sometimes I think I'm playing with a child, especially when you have to coddle him because he got all buttblasted at something.

Yep willing to give it a couple of more tries, thanks for the input mate!
>>
>>44707029

I'd love to play Starcraft some more but we need to find a copy of Brood War to properly balance everything. The base game is a little broken.
>>
>>44707029
In Imperial Settlers, I feel that razing other players' locations versus cards from your hand is a very fair trade-off.

It seems that offensive razing isn't worth it at first glance (spending two raze tokens instead of one), but it's important to keep in mind that you're not wasting one of your own cards by doing so. Card draws are a valuable resource too, and even if a common location isn't worth anything it can always be used as fodder for a more valuable faction location. If you constantly raze from your own hand, you need to compensate by spending more draws on the common deck instead of your faction deck, which means you have less good buildings overall.

It all depends on how your engine is, but unless you're playing barbarians, I think you should generally aim to raze offensively so as to conserve your hand.
>>
>>44707127

Someone here was nice to point out a bgg auction for brood war, it's terribly costly on amazon or ebay, though.

I don't think vanilla is *that* imbalanced - the archon strat is a little bit overpowered in toss, zergs need to be buffed a bit apart from that it seemed solid to me.

>>44707140

Good point!

Yeah it's a trade-off, I guess, but at least when I played razing my own hand seemed so much better because of how much cards/meeples I got versus the number of swords and resources I got it seemed much better to raze my own hand and in my mind it seems objectively more efficient that way.
>>
>>44707205
Right, it took me a while to realize that, myself. It seems way more efficient to raze from your own hand. But, really, it's highly situational.

Think of it this way: You have two watchtowers in your hand and can raze them both to draw four cards. But to replace them, that's minus two cards, leaving you with two. Which is equal to what you would have gotten if you spent those two raze tokens on an opponent's watchtower. Of course you'd be getting four *new* cards, but all common cards have equivalent worth as the cost to build most faction cards. Which is how you want to be using many of them.

Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly. It's late.
>>
>>44688183
Xia Legends of a Drift system is a PHENOMENAL exploration game where you can do whatever you want. Check out youtube reviews. I didn't see a single negative one.

With some elbow grease, Descent 2e can become a real dungeon crawler (it's worth it). Stock, it's really just a tactical campaign versus game. My suggestion is to convert to PF rules and leave in the Descent dice. Do stuff like roll20 for initiative etc. Works best with the two large expansions.
>>
>>44707286

The way I build my engine watchtowers and everything that give +cards (deals, unless the card is really good) is a priority to build.

So I would build those 2 towers if I could and if I couldn't I'd spend meeples to get two other common cards to raze for the resources to get them.

I know that's not always possible but I'd never raze my own watchtower and would prefer to raze other people's cards in this particular instance. Other cards get the shaft though.
>>
>>44701693
Gf and friend came over for Saturday and some of Sunday.

Somehow magically we played Coup 15ish times in two sittings and Love Letter for one game between the three of us.

Friend is more of a video gamer and gf does cosplay stuff and plays a bit of vidja, so it was doomed to begin with hoping to play anything with meat, but I'm at least thankful I got to play those again.

>tfw board game collection could stack nearly to my ceiling but nobody interested enough to play anything besides super light stuff and CAH
>>
I've got $150 to spend at CSI. Should I pull the trigger on Blood Rage when it comes back in stock?
>>
>>44708936
I'd say depends entirely on whether or not you like drafting games.

>>44706655
Drop eclipse. Add Exodus if you really need a TI3-but-faster.
>>
>>44709206
Agreed - I really like Eclipse, but Exodus will give you a more well rounded experience when it comes to politics, etc, that Eclipse just doesn't do well. Hegemonic is also good (if less popular) in the 'Space 4x' category.
>>
>>44709206
I do like drafting games. Honestly, the only things that have prevented me from getting it sooner are: a) the price and b) I don't like games that do major KS exclusives. But the game looks really fun and that's starting to overtake my reservations.
>>
>>44709348
I share the same reservations, but I agree with the general internet consensus that the non-KS version doesn't feel neutered. Just expensive, especially with expansions.
>>
>>44709206
I can't even find Exodus for a reasonable price. Let alone Hegemonic
>>
>>44666380
Formula D goes up to 10 players
>>
>>44709629
Do you really need them though? I feel like they're all pretty equally pointless for someone who gets TI3 played even occasionally. I mean, I on't get TI3 played every couple months, and my copy of Exodus is entirely unplayed.
>>
>>44709761
Wanna sell me your copy of Exodus for Paypal?

Shoot me an email with your shipped asking price if you'd like. I live in TN USA and would very much like to get a copy at a decent price to start my crew off before trying to get them on TI3.

alipheesefateburnxvi AT gmail
>>
>>44701693
I actually got to play my copy of Arcadia Quest, let alone any boardgame in 5 months. 2 rounds of AQ, 2 guys went home, then me and another mate stayed up playing WoW boardgame.
>>
>>44709830
Tempting. It's in new condition other than one corner of the box being split, which got it into my hands at coolstuff-equivalent prices from my flgs. I'll throw you a pic tonight, and I'll check what it would cost to ship.
>>
>>44709751

Thanks that also looks fairy decent!
>>
>>44709391
Thanks, Steev. I think I'm gonna throw FoD into that order too. Mostly because you and the other anons say its worth it.
>>
>>44710129
>FoD
God, I love that game.
One day I also hope to not need six hours after a game of it to stop hating it.
>>
>>44709761
You have to be kidding right? I have not enough space games. I need them all STEEV
>>
>>44710361
Well, save yourself some effort and don't get firefly, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have jack on Xia.
I just think you'll find Exodus relatively bland after TI3, there aren't even differentiated races until you get the expansion.
>>
>>44710457
Yeah Firefly is supposedly lame compared to Xia from what fans say.
>>
>>44710457
Finally someone who agrees with me on this, Xia is totally a Firefly killer, I just wish I had some way to keep traders from dominating and degenerating the game. My personally strategy is to run missions until I can evolve into a combat monster, and then throw D20's while cackling from the helm of the teleporter ship.

You know what, I'm going to break that out and play it on Wednesday, because fuck yeah space ships.
>>
Does anybody know board games that have tech trees that aren't cumbersome? Thinking about designing a board game but tech trees seem hard to implement right.
>>
>>44711178
Kemet comes to mind, although it is a "tech tree" in the loosest form.
>>
File: CascadingTechTree_SA.jpg (2MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
CascadingTechTree_SA.jpg
2MB, 3508x2480px
>>44711178
I think it's an easy problem to overstate, just because common implementations are so terrible. Even the formidable TI3 tech chart is brought low by getting rid of the garbage tech cards and using a laminated printout and some wet-erase markers.
Exodus has an interesting pseudo-tree, where there are no true prerequisites, but more advanced techs are simply more expensive, and discounted by previous purchases in the same area of research.

>>44710533
It's just very long, and very much devoid of direct competition or interesting mechanics, at the expense of cramming in a massive amound of referenes and flavor text. We have to play with the dedicated PvP scenario or import it's rules into other scenarios to make the game stomachable.
>>
Thanks for the input guys.

>>44711279

Yeah not really a tech tree there, just upgrades with levels. I was thinking about a real tree with prerequisites and what not.

>>44711320

I guess I'll have to do a couple of trial-and-error steps then. I was thinking of wizards having spells and shit with pre-reqs and warriors having different moves with the same. All learnable by fighting monsters or just having lessons with someone with a higher level.
>>
>>44711178
Civilization the Board Game has a tech pyramid of sorts, where to buy a tech of an upper level, you have to have two lower level techs directly below "supporting" it. Pretty neat and simple.
>>
>>44710774
We use an economy track. 0-10 for each color cube. When cubes are sold, at the end of the business phase, move a counter along the track that X number of cubes.

At 0-1 : 2000:1 ratio credits
2-5: 1000:1 (normal)
6-9: 1000:2 (half)
10: 0:0 (none)

Fixes it instantly and simultaneously spurs new opportunities for making money opportunistically rather than as a set goal. I ALWAYS recommend taking out the "buy fame for money" rule as well.
>>
>>44701693
Got taken to an acquaintance's house on Friday. Played someone else's copy of Cosmic Encounter (base game only!) and someone else's copy of Hanabi.
Invited friends over Saturday. They all stayed home so I read a book.
Played Innovation, Splendor, and a few rounds of Seiji Kanai's "R" on Sunday. Also played an interesting game called Battalia. It had cool ideas, and the deckbuilding/area control/combat gelled together a lot better than I thought it would, but two of our players had less-than-ideal eyesight and the text/symbols are tiny. I can see how the game could take 45min to play, but it took a miserable 2+hrs
>>
File: bgg.jpg (302KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
302KB, 2048x1536px
Hey /tg/ what games should I add to my humble collection? I was thinking imperial assault, cosmic encounter and Warhammer quest the adventure card game (last one mainly for solo). Sorry for shitty quality of pic.
>>
>>44709206
>I'd say depends entirely on whether or not you like drafting games.
I have no interest in drafting games and I like Blood Rage very much so far.

>>44711178
>>44711451
Since I played 7 Wonders for the first time yesterday, that comes to mind. Each card that is part of a tech tree states at the bottom what it unlocks, and at the top what it is unlocked by. Since card effects are pretty straight-forward, they even show an icon that tells you what the unlocked card will give you (e.g. VP, a specific resource, etc.).

Probably not as advanced as what you have in mind, but perhaps it will give you ideas.
>>
>>44712144
Some filler games would be a good idea; Love Letter, maybe a dice game.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.