[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If in a setting present-day human civilization were to take up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12

File: how to trigger k.jpg (82KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
how to trigger k.jpg
82KB, 700x700px
If in a setting present-day human civilization were to take up the manufacture of polearms and other medieval weapons with modern day technology and metallurgy, what would the results be?

Pic is some stupid tacticool bullshit because I couldn't find anything better.
>>
the result would be a lot of tacticool bullshit.

But, IF, and its obviously an if that will never happen, such a scenario were to take place, its a pretty good bet to say that the first decade or two of us would see a very rapid abandoning of most of the tacticool bullshit, and people reverting to medieval designs - because they WORK.

after a few decades, when people have regained experience of using those weapons, then you'd likely start to see more innovations.

till then, it would likely be copies, with only the materials changed (ie, polymers for grips, instead of leather)
>>
>>44627146
There was a show on that. Some scrawny welder, and some dumpy teacher.
Compared old styles vs new.

The new stuff won. Always.
>>
Polarm gun.
>>
>>44627146
http://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/category/billhooks/
>>
>>44627146
>what would the results be
You're looking at them: tacticool spears, hatchets, and machetes would be the norm. Probably a smattering of spiked bats and bar maces.
>>
File: Tacticool Knight.jpg (117KB, 966x828px) Image search: [Google]
Tacticool Knight.jpg
117KB, 966x828px
>>44627146
>tacticool spear
Dammit, I want one. Some of the updated medieval tech might find a place alongside modern weapons, but they'd need to find applications alongside firearms and modern gizmos that allow them to get around their obsolescence. Polearms, for example, should be collapsible for mobility, because modern police and soldiers don't want to hoist a long pole around all day.

Also explosives. Like the War Boy spears in Fury Road. Just stick some explosives on the end of your spears and I guarantee someone will use them. Making your medieval weapons explode is a great way to get people to use them even if they're the worst tool for the job.
>>44627189
Oh shit, Weapon Masters. I loved the concept of that one, but I remember a few of the modern versions failing due to mechanical problems. Wish there were more episodes of it.
>>
>>44627146
Man i wish i had a custon sheath.
>>
>Pic is some stupid tacticool bullshit
Wants an obsolete weapon made using modern tech and metals and is upset it's not made of wood

Besides from that stupid skull logo it looks functional
>>
>>44627315
Actually spears aren't very obsolete if you're hog hunting and there's a reasonable chance you'll stumble across one at close range, because spears will lower the chance of you getting trampled and eaten alive if it decides to charge you and you don't have time to get a shot off
>>
>>44627341
You sound overweight
Out hunting and not carrying a back up piece and knife and not quick enough to either dodge, pull out back up piece and shoot or knife and stab repeatedly
Killing dumb animals that run head first into a threat doesn't make you a man
>>
>>44627190
You mean like... a bayonet?
>>
>>44627427
>has never encountered a hog outside of bacon form
>>
If bladed weapons still had a use in combat, there's no reason why they shouldn't be constructed of lighter, more durable materials, with nods made towards ergonomics and functional addition.

Not all medieval weapons were stripped-down minimalist tools, it's just that most of them were because metal and the skill needed to work it well are expensive, and outfitting an entire army with anything but bare-bones, no-frills tools that did the job they needed was a practical necessity.
>>
>>44627267
>weapon master
That's it.

Thx anon.
>>
>>44627427
Theres a reason hogs were largely hunted from horseback with specially designed weapons. The cunts dont go down easy, theyre fast and if one rushes ya yer gonna take damage most likely.

At least with a good boar sticker you can break its stride and maybe only get away with a light maiming.

And boars ain't exactly dumb. They ;ike to ambush.
>>
>>44627502
lighter is not always better. in case of stabbin' things, it's ok, but striking weapons need some momentum.
>>
Im willing to guess we'd see a lot more weapons designed for one handed use than was common in the late medieval period. A lot of combat today takes place indoors, in contained spaces and such, so ambushing an enemy with a stout axe would be a very effective strategy Im guessing.

That'd be balance out by heavy mauls and mattocks for bursting through walls and such I imagine.

Might see shields, or at least bucklers, mount a serious comeback too.
>>
File: 400px-Beretta93-1-.jpg (25KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Beretta93-1-.jpg
25KB, 400x293px
>>44627546
>Theres a reason hogs were largely hunted from horseback with specially designed weapons.

And now we have modern weapons
>>
>>44627822
Yup. But the dude I was replying to seemed to be implying that just a knife would be enough.

I mean, its fine if you dont mind getting gored and trampled a few times but if you absolutely need to use a melee weapon, use a boar spear ffs.

Also, I dunno how true this is but I have heard it said that boars can shrug off a lot of fire. Like when it came to boar sticking, there was 1 zone known to produce an instant kill. Not sure if that still applies.
>>
>>44627910
I went on a hog hunt in Texas once. I was warned over and over "be careful, their chest and shoulder can stop an .06'.
From 20 yards, I shot completely through both shoulders, knicking the heart and killing the hog instantly. This was with a bow.
So, myth busted.
>>
>>44627978
Nice shot. From what Ive heard, heart and head shots are just about the only thing that will stop them.

The point of ''a knife on its own is not enough'' still stands though. Or, more accurately, it is enough if you're lucky, physically incredible or willing to get gored once or twice to make the fucker go down.
>>
>>44627978
Not to be that guy but that sounds like a shot from the side. I am willing to believe that from the front it would be different. Hell take a tank such as an IS series and compare the strength of the armour as seen directly from the front and compare it with the armour as seen from the side.
>>
>>44628067
Thx.
Well it weighed 238 lbs. So um, call me a pussy if you want, but I ain't going hand to hand with one. Not if i can help it. Color me as one of the unwilling I guess.
>>
>>44627978

Sure, but you have to take into account the fact a bow tends to penetrate a target much better than a bullet, due to its mass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOM4IQjQtM4

The boar's shoulders very well might stop an .06' and not an arrow.
>>
>>44628098
Yes. Broad side shot. When it was dressed out, I did see the chest plate. I can't swear how well it would deflect, but I wouldn't want to try and stab through it. It was at least 1/4'' thick. Maybe closer to a half inch.
>>
File: Boar Spear.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Boar Spear.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>44628122
Im the same bro. If I ever hunt boar, itll probably be from a hide with a crossbow. Get my fantasy sniper going.

But if ya gotta tangle with one in melee, a good boar spear is worth a lot. Its designed to stop it being able to run up so you can keep it away from ya. Brace to accept the charge, stick it in the face or chest and you might well survive the encounter unscathed bar equipment failure.
>>
>>44628126
I think it has to due with speed and "deflection". I could be wrong tho. The bullet is moving so fast, instead of penetrating, it skims and deflects. Or something like that.
>>
File: WW1.jpg (250KB, 980x768px) Image search: [Google]
WW1.jpg
250KB, 980x768px
>>44627190
>Polarm gun.
>>44627437
>You mean like... a bayonet?

Go back far enough, not too far because there was the plug-spike type bayonets which where a big spike. But around 1870 through to ww2 the socketed, long bayonets where effectively a polearm.
They where from all accounts used not just for stabbing but could be swung with enough force to lop off limbs, heads and generally dismember the enemy. After WW2 they moved to the smaller, more modern, short bayonet-knife we're more familiar with, though there was also triangular spike bayonets that came back into vogue around the 1950's and 60's on some of the soviet weapons of that era that where also quite long
>>
>>44628184
Some guys in Georgia do spear hunts for boars. Some use dogs. Some don't.
We all know them boys from Georgia are ate up though.
>>
>>44628257
Yeah, you go on a few boar hunts and yer gonna take a few hits at least.

Unless you go on horseback. Then the horse takes hits and you take the credit.
>>
"tacticool" is a style of decoration, not a type of design dictated by the properties of the materials that emerge from producing them with more scientific methodes.

Just sayan.
>>
If we take this scenario as presented, would shields make a general comeback?
>>
>>44627427
You should go out and find out what hiking is actually like sometimes, fatty.
>>
>>44628295
Tacticool in this sense is derisive, referring to the sort of people that like to strap 200 attachments to a shitty ass pistol until its more rails and attachments than a gun and claim if makes it better.

Or the sort of people that are like ''but the SWAT should totally use katanas/spears/whatever-the-fuck''
>>
Well you'll get the stuff in your picture, or replicas of existing weapons.

Look, there isn't much to go by. Why would we take up manufacturing weapons made obsolete by firearms? Are we assuming for some reason these weapons are supplementary tools for people with guns and ballistic armor?
>>
>>44628473
I presume this is one of those ''energy fields that block things going above a certain speed are now a thing'' sorta scenarios.

Like all of a sudden projectile weapons are rendered militarily useless so they have to revert to melee and such.
>>
File: UC3138.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
UC3138.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>44627146
Just looked at the website for this thing and I want a tacticle sword cane, pic related

http://www.unitedcutlery.com/Category.aspx?cat=M4
>>
>>44628562
Its like a warhammer, a shortsword and a bat in one. Holy shit.
>>
File: UC3147.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
UC3147.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>44628584
Its completley impratical but there's somthing about a rainbow finish....
http://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC3147&cat=M4
>>
>>44628584

Doesn't look like it'd make a very good warhammer.
>>
>>44628604
Well, jet black and shiny chrome weapons are a dime a dozen. How many people can claim to hack enemies to death with a rainbow? Barring that dude from Irish mythology with a sword the length of a rainbow I mean...

And what attacker would live down being fought off with something like that?
>>
>>44628605
Well yeah, it looks like its made from shitty plastic. Doesn't mean they didnt try though, the mad fuckers.
>>
>>44627146
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdmUnIteRmU
>>
>>44628673
The length of a rainbow? I've got look this up...
>>
>>44628741
I think it was Finn was his name. According to legend, hed a sword the length of a rainbow and could cut the tops off hills.
>>
>>44628691

Rather I meant that it looks like if you tried to hit anything with it as a hammer the blade would pop out and all you'd have left is a club and someone with, hopefully, an oddly shaped shortsword stuck in their skull.

I guess I'm saying I'm not very confident in how well the parts are attached to one another for that use. It could work as a pretty good club. It could work as a pretty good stabby stick. But if you want a warhammer you'd be better off with a regular cane. Like my cane with a metal head.
>>
>>44628777
Oh yeah, of course. I dont know to what standard or intent they're made really. Chances are that head is just to look cool.
>>
>>44628185

An arrow has several times the mass of a bullet, and that's the biggest factor. The more mass, the more kinetic energy it contains and the harder it is to stop it.
>>
>>44628763
thats awesome, just imaging some drunken dude just yelling and lopping the tops of hills is brilliant!
also >>44628605
see >>44628707 you are right
>>
So, if I wanted to attack current day people armed with firearms I send out trained boars with bulletproof vests and I'd force them to go back to old school weaponry?
>>
File: messer_kit01.jpg (73KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
messer_kit01.jpg
73KB, 1200x800px
>>44627146
>If in a setting present-day human civilization were to take up the manufacture of polearms and other medieval weapons with modern day technology and metallurgy, what would the results be?
>If

We did. It was/is good.

Honestly though there's not much to be improved, though we're far better at getting consistent results, particularly on the metallurgical side due to all the better tools and sciences available.

It's not like we have magical super-metals available now that manage to completely surpass steel for all the things required of melee weapons. But we can make a fuckton a good steel really well.
>>
>>44628857
Irish legend is great for mad shit like that. One of the greatest heroes scared off a Giant by pretending to be his own son, like dressed up as a baby in a massive cot, and the giant went ''If thats his fucking baby imagine what size that cunt is, fuck this shit'' and ran away
>>
File: aayyyyyo.gif (75KB, 290x350px) Image search: [Google]
aayyyyyo.gif
75KB, 290x350px
>>44628902
I know what I'm basing my next campaign off, I'm looking up some stuff on wikipedia its a fucking gold mine
>>
>>44628937
There was another dude, Diarmuid Mac Dhuibhne, who was punished by a fairy (for peeping in on her while she was nude or something I think) with a mole that made any woman that looked at it fall in love with him.

In the end, I think, it got him killed.
>>
>>44628293
>>44628257
Got to be central or south Georgia

Are modern boar spears still made?
>>
>>44629038
Cold Steel makes one anyway.

And if by that you meant I must be from Georgia, yer well off.
>>
I'm a chef and have a ceramic kitchen knife. Owned it for years, never sharpened it once, still way sharper than any of my steel Mercers.

I've always fantasized about a longsword made of ceramic.... obviously the shatter factor is a problem, but with some extra manufacturing, I'll bet you could make one with more resilience and barely any weight.
>>
>>44627427
Please go hog hunting without a polearm.
Spare us your lack of expertise.
>>
>>44629136
I think the problem there is that a sword really should have some weight. It needs to be well balanced but it needs weight to be truly effective unless its a purely piercing tool like a Smallsword

Momentum is vital to the effectiveness of a sword usually.

On the other hand, a k-bar of ceramic as you described could probably be a devastating melee weapon within reason.
>>
File: 0987_lg[1].jpg (117KB, 1260x1040px) Image search: [Google]
0987_lg[1].jpg
117KB, 1260x1040px
>>44629136

What about a combination of a macuahuitl and a longsword? You could, with modern techniques, probably whip up a metal frame and fit ceramic blades in it.

Heck, with modern machinery you would probably not have nearly as much space between the individual blades as you would otherwise. You could have a relatively consistent edge.
>>
File: b006-3[1].jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
b006-3[1].jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>44629206

wrong picture.
>>
>>44629198
Now you got me remembering the 3.0 "mercurial greatsword".

Would this effect actually make things work better IRL?

(For those of you that dont remember, it had liquid inside the blade that flew to the front as you swung it, adding more weight to the tip)
>>
>>44627978
Arrows have more penetration than bullets and you were lucky as fuck.
9 out 0f 10 times the hog will gore you before dying even if you shot it in the fucking head.
>>
>>44629206
Why bother when you can use shovel for battle like Glorious Spestnaz Operatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GrRgVQlo9A
>>
>>44628562
>>44628584
It's basically a tacticool'd Fakir's Crutch.

>new things under the sun
>ever
>>
>>44629255
Itd probably give ya a good ''alpha strike'' but itd then probably end up embedded in the ground. You dont want the weight at the tip, nor do you want balance shifting mid swing.

What ya want really is the centre of balance about 6 inches above the guard. That gives a good balance of control and striking power.

That concept could be done but itd be fragile, itd be clumsy as hell and itd probably get ya killed. Be great for that first strike though, maybe.
>>
>>44629323
Never said it was a new design bruh.

Its just fucking weird looking to my eye, thats all.
>>
>>44629136
>longsword made of ceramic
>>44629206
>macuahuitl

That'd be most of the answer in of itself, using a composite of materials to give the tensile strength that ceramics don't have, maybe if you're going really high tech something like aramid or carbon fibre composites which are about 3-4x higher than steel.
Something for someone with fantastic amounts of money to look into.
>>
>>44629334
>You dont want the weight at the tip
But you do, with a sabre.
>>
>>44628902
>>44628937
>The men of Ulster got cursed because a hick claimed that his pregnant wife could run faster than Ulster's fastest cows
>One of their greatest heros is a sparkedog character.
>That dude who's basically a huge eye on legs that shoot a death ray whenever he opens it

Irish myths are great.
>>
File: OceanicGB46_l.jpg (104KB, 1200x1316px) Image search: [Google]
OceanicGB46_l.jpg
104KB, 1200x1316px
>>44629437
If you're also feeling particularly murderous, something like a sharks-teeth sword with modern materials would be fairly terrifying, so if you snap off bits of the zirconium-ceramics, just replace the teeth.
>>
>>44629491

You'd be halfway to achieving a chainsword.
>>
>>44629550
Hedge-clipper with ceramic blades...

However, the gyroscopic effects of stuff spinning around would need to be looked at and countered- but if the materials are light enough you're probably not going to have as many worries there
>>
>>44629447
Sorry, I was talking specifically about Longswords and Greatswords. I dont know much about Sabres to be honest.
>>
>>44629074
No I mean any wild hog hunting in Georgia has to be in central or south Georgia
>>
>>44629458
They really are.

Im still waiting for a chance to use some of those characters in my games
>>
>>44629606
Oh. Fair enough. We talking the Country or the State?
>>
>>44628997
Ua Duibhne, not Mac
>>
>>44629174

Don't know if he'll make it back to share anything, anon.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.