[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was the Ravnica block so fucking good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

Why was the Ravnica block so fucking good?
>>
>>44618820
It was last block made before the idea of Modern and MaRo's NWO started influencing development.
>>
>>44618820
It wasn't, Kamigawa was a million times better
>>
>>44618820
Dredge 6
>>
>>44620057
you funny anon.
>>
>>44618854
Meh, it wasn't until Alara that MTG was ruined and MARO showed that he was cancer to this game.

Someone please kill MARO
>>
Simple to understand color pairings that was filled with actually playable cards
>>
>>44620057
Bait needs to be subtle, you dipshit
>>
>>44618820
Because Richard Garfield worked on it. (Note that he also worked on Innistrad, which was also fantastic.)
>>
>>44622351
At this point it's safe to assume anything Richard Garfield touches turns to gold, it even works to counteract Mark corruption
>>
>>44622373
Mark's goal is to make product. Richard's goal is to make a game.
>>
>>44618820
>Why was the Ravnica block so fucking good?
STRONG themes, very interesting mechanics, hybrid mana is a GOAT mechanic to center around.
>>
>>44620142
>>44622215
I kinda agree with him, but at the same time I don't.
I actually really like Kamigawa's fluff.
But mechanically, it was a lousy Block, and mechanics are very important to a card game.
>>
>>44623805
Kamigawa was a fantastic setting, but a lousy game experience.
>>
>>44620192
MARO is not that bad
>>
>>44618820
Nostalgia
Also, hell-dozer
>>
>>44622590
For every good mechanic there is a haunt
>>
It was the last block that felt like old Magic that was also great to play, after we left the the whole Onslaught thing behind.
>Mirrodin: What the fuck were they thinking
>Kamigawa: Great flavor, but suffered horribly from weak mechanics and anime backlash
>Ravnica: Felt like old Magic again
>Coldsnap: It's like it never really existed
>Timespiral: Completely over the place, but a great block
>Lorwyn/Shadowmoor: Amazing set, but the people despised the look
>Alara: This is where old Magic was dead at last
>>
>>44624348
>For every good mechanic there is a haunt
Very true.
>>
>>44624319
Go home, Mark. You're drunk.
>>
>>44624354
Morrodin was great, shut up
>>
>>44624332

Hell-dozer is in my zombie deck. I almost never feel like he is a bad investment to drop, especially as a lot of the time he can take out the key multicolor land that removes a bunch of options for my opponent. And then he does it again, and swings for 7, all on one turn.
>>
>>44620057
>Everyone and their mum was legendary
What were they thinking?
>>
>>44618820
Because it gave us more enemy colored cards after only Apocalypse had really made those in acceptable quantities.
>>
>>44631026
>Tfw Gerard's Verdict isn't modern-legal
>>
What do you think about Return to Ravnica? Given, I didn't grow up with old magic; my first block was the Zendikar block, and I've fallen back out of magic after Theros, but only because lack of people to play with. I thought Return to Ravnica was great, the setting and story is brilliant IMO, the mechanics were pretty balanced on the whole and the art was fantastic.
>>
>>44618820
For a vorthos, the flavour was extremely cohesive yet starkly contrasting regarding the entire world and the ten guilds therein. It came together very well with the story, and the characters themselves were very engaging.

RtR was, in sharp comparison, a saturday morning cartoon's quality in flavour and story drive. The outside world was now flanderized as The Guildless, and the guilds themselves were entwined in a plot designed to do naught but put the spotlight on the new mascot of Magic. I mean, it was still vaguely enjoyable, but it mostly served as an almost bitter reminder of how good the first one was.
>>
>>44632381
RtR took a great big dump over original Ravnica's lore. The first set was fine but Gatecrash was bad.
>>
>>44625580
dat power creep though...
>>
>>44632381
Loved the first set, but hated the rest honestly.

Zendikar is my favorite block.
>>
>>44632873
How so? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the original Ravnica lore.
>>
File: 1430098457168.jpg (119KB, 364x457px) Image search: [Google]
1430098457168.jpg
119KB, 364x457px
>>44623896
>rat ninjas in my western card game
>a fantastic setting
>>
File: 4261964.jpg (68KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
4261964.jpg
68KB, 800x449px
>>44633310
>not liking rat ninjas
>>
>>44618820
Because Richard Garfield assisted the team with its creation

It's also why Innistrad (the set, not the block) was so good
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.