[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Make a random encounter table
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: Roadline.jpg (55 KB, 426x639) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Roadline.jpg
55 KB, 426x639
Okay /tg/ !
I'm currently bored and listening for Metal, what about making a random encounter table, starting from 01 up to 100 ? Anything goes as long as it's fantasy and can happen anywhere "on the road" for journeys and such
I'll start:

>01: The party discovers a corpse on the side of the road. His eyes are closed. If someone decides to open them, he discovers that they unexpectedly turned into stone.
>>
>>44607175
02. An anus. Behold it!
>>
>>44607175
Curious here, what are you listening to OP ?
>03. You come across a pile of spider eggs. They look fresh
>>
>04: After a pretty terrible botched, needlessly complicated and fairly comedic murder attempt, the would-be assassin begs and pleads on her knees to the party for mercy confessing she was given a random target to kill in order to join the assassins guild, and in exchange offers the skills of her former profession; a pretty good cook.
>>
>>44607175
>04. The player notice a tree that fell, blocking most of the past. It's obviously a trap, but the Bandits are actually well equipped and well-prepared
>>
>>44607313
I guess that this goes for 05 ?
>>
>>44607229
Judaspriest, one friend gifted me the Painkiller album for my Birthday
Also
>06: The party starts hearing what sounds like a flute. One problem, there's nobody around. If they continue down the road, still hearing the music, they notice a stone on the side of the road. A close examination reveals that there's a small flute engraved on the side of it, among other ancient glyphs. The sound can be heard anywhere one Mile around the stone, but the sound level is always the same (the sound isn't stronger if you're closer to the stone)
>>
>07: an old man looking for directions, seeming very friendly, and very thankful of the party whether helped or not, hugs, shaking hands and so on. He is actually trying to pickpocket them (and does a pretty good job), and if discovered, he will run fast revealing a much younger age.
>>
in non hostile area 1d10
1-5 Common encounter
6-8 Normal encounter
9-10 Rare encounter

If common encounter in non hostile area 1d10:
1-5 peaceful encounter
6-8 tense encounter
9-10 hostile encounter

If normal encounter in non hostile zone 1d10:
1-3 peaceful encounter
4-8 tense encounter
9-10 hostile encounter

If Rare encounter in non hostile zone 1d10:
1 peaceful encounter
2-5 tense encounter
6-10 hostile encounter

Peaceful means that the creatures encountered will not attack the adventurers
Tense encounters have a potential of turning violent if the players let the situation out of control, this can be a roadblock, or whatever where the players/dice decide to escalate the situation.
Hostile encounters are always hostile, the players can only run, hide or fight.

To decide which side sees the other side first, make an adverse perception roll between the group member with the highest perception and the encountered entity with the highest perception.
Whoever wins the roll spots the other party first, they have the advantage and can decide what to do, for example a group of bandits could set up an ambush, a group of farmers could attempt to run away, and a messenger could run towards the group and attempt to intercept them. Just mess with the numbers a bit for hostile areas/neutral areas.
>>
>A band of female half orcs are well-decided to find themselves new husbands
>>
>>44608388
kek
>09: A band of male orcs are well-decided to find themselves wives, despite not exactly knowing what it means...
>>
>>44608388
>A band of female orcs are well-decided to top the charts with hit songs
>>
>11: a band of song elementals are well-decided to top the new trend in Orc bands by making music as loud as possible and harassing creatures of various sorts
>>
>>44608579
nice
>12. The church of X god is offended by the latest Orc hits' lyrics. They suspect the adventurers of being groupies of some sort
>>
>>44607175
DA FUCK I WAS DOING THE SAME EXACT THING ANON ARE YOU ME?
>>
>>44608674
>13. A man, who claims to be an impoverished noble, has broken both of his legs, after his horse went wild. He offers the players a good meal if they bring him home, which so happens to be on the way to where they players want to go.
>>
>>44608685
Is your thread still up ? Or are you talking about listening to metal ? Either way welcome Anon
>>
>A band of groupies of a female half-ork band. They think you insulted their beloved band.
>>
>>44608937
>A band of deaf people who have never "heard" about THE female half-ork band.
>>
>>44608971
>A band of deaf people willing to share the blessing of silence by piercing the party's eardrums
>>
>>44609032
>A band of mute people are arguing with a band of deaf people on the road because a mute guy bumped into a deaf guy and refused to apologize. The deaf group has begun to insult the mute group and tensions are rising.
>>
>>44609072
>Militant mutes on a crusade against speech. They "converse" trough (very limited) signs, and warhammers.
>>
>>44607175
>A non hostile, naked Orc that is obsessed with doing the "helicopter" and wants all the males of the party to join him.
>>
>In the middle of the road lies a pile of tied, gagged goblins. They are alive, but are petrified by fear.
>>
What we've got so far. I've omitted the orcish band plotline. Also, 12 and 13 seem mergeable.
>01: The party discovers a corpse on the side of the road. His eyes are closed. If someone decides to open them, he discovers that they unexpectedly turned into stone.
>02: An anus. Behold it!
>03: You come across a pile of spider eggs. They look fresh
>04: After a pretty terrible botched, needlessly complicated and fairly comedic murder attempt, the would-be assassin begs and pleads on her knees to the party for mercy confessing she was given a random target to kill in order to join the assassins guild, and in exchange offers the skills of her former profession; a pretty good cook.
>05: The player notice a tree that fell, blocking most of the past. It's obviously a trap, but the Bandits are actually well equipped and well-prepared.
>06: The party starts hearing what sounds like a flute. One problem, there's nobody around. If they continue down the road, still hearing the music, they notice a stone on the side of the road. A close examination reveals that there's a small flute engraved on the side of it, among other ancient glyphs. The sound can be heard anywhere one Mile around the stone, but the sound level is always the same (the sound isn't stronger if you're closer to the stone)
>07: an old man looking for directions, seeming very friendly, and very thankful of the party whether helped or not, hugs, shaking hands and so on. He is actually trying to pickpocket them (and does a pretty good job), and if discovered, he will run fast revealing a much younger age.
>08: A band of female half orcs are well-decided to find themselves new husbands
>09: A band of male orcs are well-decided to find themselves wives, despite not exactly knowing what it means...
>10: A band of female orcs are well-decided to top the charts with hit songs
cont
>>
>>44609497
>11: A man, who claims to be an impoverished noble, has broken both of his legs, after his horse went wild. He offers the players a good meal if they bring him home, which so happens to be on the way to where they players want to go.
>12: A band of deaf people willing to share the blessing of silence by piercing the party's eardrums
>13: Militant mutes on a crusade against speech. They "converse" trough (very limited) signs, and warhammers.
>14: In the middle of the road lies a pile of tied, gagged goblins. They are alive, but are petrified by fear.
Do not let this thread die, it has its potential
>>
>When travelling through the wilds, from one side of the road shoots a band of elves, quickly followed by antoher one, seemingly chasing the first. If players decide to go after them, they fail to find them in the wilderness.
>>
>A wandering monk was attacked by bandits and is now completely lost, he is asking for directions to the next temple of [X].
>A band of bandits who recently attacked a monk, they stole his books and now feel bad about what they did. They are asking for directions to the next temple of [X] to return the books, they can't read anyways.
>>44609544
>If players decide to go after them, they fail to find them in the wilderness.
Railroading piece of shit. Atleast show some effort and allow the players to interact with the elves instead of just playing a misc encounter with no fucking meaning.
>>
>Very popular high road is completely destroyed by dwarves from the nearest mine, who due to miscalculation ended up coming up just in the middle of the road.
>>
>>44609599
>A very popular high road is completely destroyed by dwarfs from a nearby mine, who stole the paying materials to build beds for their families.
>>
>A very popular high road is completely destroyed by dwarves from the nearest mine, who in a night of drunken revelry over a high seasonal report completely trashed the area in their merriment.
>>
>In the middle of high-traffic road an enormous oak has risen overnight.
>>44609567
>we are the players, everything happenig happens because of uuuuuusssssss :<<<<
ever heard of building atmosphere? Some mystery? It isn't even railroading, how do you imagine band of surprised adventurers catching up with full speed elf chase? Through the woods? Unless they also are a party of elves nimble enough, but that's very specific. Not every question in the world has to be answered.
>>
>>44609637
>What looks like an human politician is arguing with a Brick Golem, accusing him of stealing other people's hard work and threatening him to turn hiw body parts into "A BIG, BEUTIFUL WALL"
>>
>>44609744
Every attempt to speak with him fail, as he goes on a fit of rage, shouting nonsense about criminal dwarves invading his country and Golems not doing their jobs
>>
>>44609707
Yes, but if the players actually manage to catch up withe the elves there should be SOME story. If you want to, make the rolls really hard, but don't make anything impossible unless it IS actually impossible (breaking the laws of phyics, magic or whatever), that's just bad DMing.
>>
>>44609744
>People and helpless militia gather around huge stone golem building a construction of unknown purpose in the middle of the road
>>
>>44609672
>The party encounters a coach damaged by stones thrown at it. They have been attacked by drunk dwarves.
>>
>>44609789
>When travelling through the wilds, from one side of the road shoots a band of elves, quickly followed by antoher one, seemingly chasing the first. Catching up them is almost impossible.
here, corrected a little bit. Better? I still do not consider making it possible, but maybe you're right, let's give it some promile of possibility
>>
>When closing to the great river, PCs encounter two bridges, both makeshift, both guarder by a separate troll. When PCs approach, trolls begin to fight over who gives the lowest price for passing
>>
>the party falls into a sinkhole that deposits them in the netherlands, where they are immediately attacked by a marauding gang of dikes.
>>
>>44609870
Perfect.
>>44609935
>When closing to the great river, PCs encounter two bridges, both makeshift, both guarder by a separate troll. When PCs approach, trolls begin to fight over who gives the highest price for passing, and who can beat up more merchants in one day.
>>
>>44609964
how about mace size ?
>>
File: checkered.jpg (126 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
checkered.jpg
126 KB, 1600x1600
>>44610000 (Checkered)
How about bridge size, how about one of them slept with the wife of the other, how about one complaining about the loud songs the other one sings every night, you could do a lot of things with this.
>>
>>44607175
>The party comes across a ham sandwich discarded in the middle of the road. Upon approaching it, the sandwhich speaks to the party, identifying itself as a devil who was summoned and bound to the sandwhich by a sorcerous cook, and only managed to escape because he fell out of a skipping child's napsack. He offers the party great treasure if he is freed, though only the cook knows the spell that can free him. Who would do such a thing, and for what purpose?
>>
>>44609798
kek
>>
>>44610094
>The party come across a high-level wizard. He just skipped his higher wizard school and is looking for a fresh meal, something like a sandwitch for example
>>
>A suspicious Gnome, dressed in attire akin to the garden variety asks the party for protection/a lift to the nearest capital. Searching his belongings yields several viles of fatal toxins, and the portrait of a high ranking politician.
>>
>>44607175
>The party notices 6 ominous cairns flanking the road. If they head through them, they hear a mad cackling, though see nothing that could make said noise.
>>
>There's a stone in the middle of the road, with a golden monocle put on it. If the players try to remove it, they fail and anger the stone, which keeps calling them rude people. Trying too hard to remove it will eventually remove the stone from the gound. The stone has the personnality of a stuck noble, and is always complaining about everything
>>
File: 1395548580068.jpg (227 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1395548580068.jpg
227 KB, 1024x683
>A marching band comes the opposite direction down the road, followed by a man in robes. Investigation reveals that the band is illusory, and is how the powerful illusionist occupies himself on long journeys, and warns off annoying bandit raids.

>A group of orcs (or bandits or whatever) are standing in the middle of the road, trying to disentangle a struggling pile of their comrades. Investigation reveals that they divvied up a hapless adventure's enchanted armor between them, then someone activated the self-dress feature, prompting it to try to re-assemble itself, resulting in considerable discomfort for the orcs wearing it. The armor will turn out to have several questionably useful enchantments, none of which have any actual combat application.

>The party encounters a man being mobbed by angry squirrels, and being whacked repeatedly in the shins by a stick-wielding gnome druid.

>The road filled with poorly-hidden punji pits. Diverting into the woods around it will reveal several considerably better-hidden punji pits. A group of kobolds lurking in the trees may or may not attack, based on whether they think they have a chance against the party.

>A distressed merchant watches as a dire-badger roots through his cart, asks party for assistance.

>A lighting bolt slams into the road, revealing a glowing metal spear. A few minutes later, an apologetic valkyrie will descend to recover it.

>A travelling menagerie and rare-animal merchant comes the opposite direction down the road. Close observation may reveal several "questionable" animals, such as a cat which begs for assistance, an orc walking on all fours and barking, a hell-hound, a donkey dressed up as a unicorn, and a cage full of duck-sized horses.

>A thin and grumpy looking witch and a fat witch with a battle-scarred cat on her shoulder are arguing with eachother about whether they're actually lost or not, while a third, ditzy-looking witch runs around trying to calm them down.
>>
>>44607175
>You encounter a group of elderly monks along the road, and to your horror notice that they are all stark naked. If asked why, they will tell you that it's a grave sin in their religion to wear any kind of clothing, citing a passage in their holy book that doesn't actually exist.
>>
>travelling pcs encounter a band of bards, their clothes ragged, their singing and playing utterly horrible. Band leader asks adventurers to go with them, seeking for glory and stories.
>>44610324
I died at angry squirrels
>>
>>44610324
>A thin and grumpy looking witch and a fat witch with a battle-scarred cat on her shoulder are arguing with eachother about whether they're actually lost or not, while a third, ditzy-looking witch runs around trying to calm them down.
Too soon
>>
>The party encounters a small reverse pyramid, with a mouth on top of it and a bunch of arms coming out of the sides. It's being chased by exacly 15 angry squirrels, and is screaming and complaining about how gods aren't respected these days
>>
>>44607175
>The party encounters an exotic warrior from a foreign land they've probably never heard of before, who seeks help looking for his horse that ran away in the middle of the night. Though he doesn't say, he's actually a scout sent ahead of a massive invading army.
>>
>there is a large hole in the ground with 12 dwarves standing around watching, commenting on it and generally lazying around, and one working in it. The dwarves refuse to let you pass until the road is fixed, for safety reasons.
>>
can someone recap the last additions to the table with numbers ? Currently going to sleep
>>
>>44607175
>You hear a rumbling noise in the distance. As you get closer it get progressively louder, and you make out a gigantic boulder rolling towards you and your party.
>>
>>44610743
>You escape and find the source, a bunch of teenage giants intent on causing mischeif. They run away if you brandish your weapons. Killing them will greatly anger the Giants towards you.
>>
>>44607175
>A dog is seated in the middle of the road. He notices your party and attachs himself to one of your party members. His collar has the initials "AV"
>>
>The road suddenly ends, if the party inspects the end with detect magic and a really high roll, they notice that the spell is hiding a brothel alongside the road
>>44610706
On it.
>>
>>44609512
>15: When travelling through the wilds, from one side of the road shoots a band of elves, quickly followed by antoher one, seemingly chasing the first. If players decide to go after them, they fail to find them in the wilderness.
>16: A wandering monk was attacked by bandits and is now completely lost, he is asking for directions to the next temple of [X].
>17: A band of bandits who recently attacked a monk, they stole his books and now feel bad about what they did. They are asking for directions to the next temple of [X] to return the books, they can't read anyways.
>18: Very popular high road is completely destroyed by dwarves from the nearest mine, who (due to miscalculation ended up coming up just in the middle of the road)/(stole the paying materials to build beds for their families)/(in a night of drunken revelry over a high seasonal report completely trashed the area in their merriment)
>19: In the middle of high-traffic road an enormous oak has risen overnight.
>20: What looks like an human politician is arguing with a Brick Golem, accusing him of stealing other people's hard work and threatening him to turn hiw body parts into "A BIG, BEUTIFUL WALL"
>21: People and helpless militia gather around huge stone golem building a construction of unknown purpose in the middle of the road.
>22: The party encounters a coach damaged by stones thrown at it. They have been attacked by drunk dwarves.
>23: When travelling through the wilds, from one side of the road shoots a band of elves, quickly followed by antoher one, seemingly chasing the first. Catching up them is almost impossible.
>24: When closing to the great river, PCs encounter two bridges, both makeshift, both guarder by a separate troll. When PCs approach, trolls begin to fight over (who gives the lowest price for passing)/ ( who gives the lowest price for passing)/ (who gives the highest price for passing, and who can beat up more merchants in one day.) /(mace sizes) /(waifus)/(cont)
>>
>>44611080
(one of them singing songs too loud at night)/(one of them slep with the other ones wife)/(one of them damaging the others bridge by throwing drunken dwarf engineers at it)
>25: The party comes across a ham sandwich discarded in the middle of the road. Upon approaching it, the sandwhich speaks to the party, identifying itself as a devil who was summoned and bound to the sandwhich by a sorcerous cook, and only managed to escape because he fell out of a skipping child's napsack. He offers the party great treasure if he is freed, though only the cook knows the spell that can free him. Who would do such a thing, and for what purpose?
>26: The party come across a high-level wizard. He just skipped his higher wizard school and is looking for a fresh meal, something like a sandwitch for example
>27: A suspicious Gnome, dressed in attire akin to the garden variety asks the party for protection/a lift to the nearest capital. Searching his belongings yields several viles of fatal toxins, and the portrait of a high ranking politician.
>28: The party notices 6 ominous cairns flanking the road. If they head through them, they hear a mad cackling, though see nothing that could make said noise.
>29: There's a stone in the middle of the road, with a golden monocle put on it. If the players try to remove it, they fail and anger the stone, which keeps calling them rude people. Trying too hard to remove it will eventually remove the stone from the gound. The stone has the personnality of a stuck noble, and is always complaining about everything
>30: A marching band comes the opposite direction down the road, followed by a man in robes. Investigation reveals that the band is illusory, and is how the powerful illusionist occupies himself on long journeys, and warns off annoying bandit raids.
(cont)
>>
>>44611147
>31: A group of orcs (or bandits or whatever) are standing in the middle of the road, trying to disentangle a struggling pile of their comrades. Investigation reveals that they divvied up a hapless adventure's enchanted armor between them, then someone activated the self-dress feature, prompting it to try to re-assemble itself, resulting in considerable discomfort for the orcs wearing it. The armor will turn out to have several questionably useful enchantments, none of which have any actual combat application.
>32: The party encounters a man being mobbed by angry squirrels, and being whacked repeatedly in the shins by a stick-wielding gnome druid.
>33: The road filled with poorly-hidden punji pits. Diverting into the woods around it will reveal several considerably better-hidden punji pits. A group of kobolds lurking in the trees may or may not attack, based on whether they think they have a chance against the party.
>34: A distressed merchant watches as a dire-badger roots through his cart, asks party for assistance.
>35: A lighting bolt slams into the road, revealing a glowing metal spear. A few minutes later, (an apologetic valkyrie will descend to recover it.) /(two forgotten god of lightning and thunder appear, they seem to be drunk of their tits and they speak a language that is completely unrecognizable, walk by laughing at the party.)
>36: A travelling menagerie and rare-animal merchant comes the opposite direction down the road. Close observation may reveal several "questionable" animals, such as a cat which begs for assistance, an orc walking on all fours and barking, a hell-hound, a donkey dressed up as a unicorn, and a cage full of duck-sized horses.
>37: A thin and grumpy looking witch and a fat witch with a battle-scarred cat on her shoulder are arguing with eachother about whether they're actually lost or not, while a third, ditzy-looking witch runs around trying to calm them down.
(cont)
>>
>>44611147
After walking for an extreme distance, your party happens upon (Resource they need, food, water, a bed) if the party ignores it, nothing happens, but if they inspect the item it turns out to be a young mimic attempting it's first bait and switch
>>
>>44611243
>38: You encounter a group of elderly monks along the road, and to your horror notice that they are all stark naked. If asked why, they will tell you that it's a grave sin in their religion to wear any kind of clothing, citing a passage in their holy book that doesn't actually exist.
>39: traveling pcs encounter a band of bards, their clothes ragged, their singing and playing utterly horrible. Band leader asks adventurers to go with them, seeking for glory and stories.
>40: The party encounters a small reverse pyramid, with a mouth on top of it and a bunch of arms coming out of the sides. It's being chased by exactly 15 angry squirrels, and is screaming and complaining about how gods aren't respected these days
>41: The party encounters an exotic warrior from a foreign land they've probably never heard of before, who seeks help looking for his horse that ran away in the middle of the night. Though he doesn't say, he's actually a scout sent ahead of a massive invading army.
>42 (que references here): there is a large hole in the ground with 12 dwarves standing around watching, commenting on it and generally lazying around, and one working in it. The dwarves refuse to let you pass until the road is fixed, for safety reasons.
>43: You hear a rumbling noise in the distance. As you get closer it get progressively louder, and you make out a gigantic boulder rolling towards you and your party. If you escape and find the source: a bunch of teenage giants intent on causing mischief. They run away if you brandish your weapons. Killing them will greatly anger the Giants towards you.
>43: A dog is seated in the middle of the road. He notices your party and attachs himself to one of your party members. His collar has the initials "AV"
>44: The road suddenly ends, if the party inspects the end with detect magic and a really high roll, they notice that the spell is hiding a brothel alongside the road
>>
>>44611377
>45: After walking for an extreme distance, your party happens upon (Resource they need, food, water, a bed) if the party ignores it, nothing happens, but if they inspect the item it turns out to be a young mimic attempting it's first bait and switch
>46: The party stumbles upon a dead greater demon on the road
>47: A talking helmet is lying on the ground, turns out that it was once a comedic bard, who was so bad that a mage turned him into a piece of attire for the worst knight of the area. The knight died in the first battle, but the helmet lived on.
>>
>A tribe of Amazons blocks the road. They won't let you pass unless one of your party beats their leader in combat. If defeated, the tribe leader offers herself to the victor as a servant and, if applicable, a bride in marriage.
>>
rpg.net
>>
>>
>travelling, pcs encounter an luxurious inn, not to be found on any map. Each of the guests resting is in some way weird, out of this world or time. Innkeeper doesn't seem to notice any of that. Gold isn't accepted as payment though, only something strange (memories, pebbles, wooden mugs). If pcs have been travelling this road before, inn wasn't there, and if they'll come back sometime later, they won't find it again.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
Thread DB ID: 370264



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.