[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is closest Star Wars table top rpg to Dungeons and Dragons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1451366274284.gif (1MB, 720x306px) Image search: [Google]
1451366274284.gif
1MB, 720x306px
What is closest Star Wars table top rpg to Dungeons and Dragons? I've been trying to find out, but cant seem the get a straight answer.
>>
Well you're not exactly asking a straight question. Do you mean the Star Wars tabletop RPG with rules closest to D&D?

If specifically 3.x, there was an actual Star Wars RPG with 3.x rules, only splitting HP into two stats. I believe Saga edition is a refinement and better overall. Note that Jedis tend to be kind of overpowered here, which is fine if you're a prequel fan.

WEG might be better suited for original trilogy and expanded universe. In this case you want 2nd edition revised and expanded.

FFG's may be the best Star Wars RPG, even if I personally find it slightly cluttered.

Outside of these options, you can always run Star Wars with D&D rules and basically no magic items?
>>
>>44606363
Pretty sure Saga edition is what you'd want.
>>
>>44606363
Wizards of the coast's revised edition is what you want. Saga edition is closest to 4e and all that that entails.
>>
Saga is garbage. There is the 3.5 and just dont split the hp. Its easy to fix. To those who said play saga I hope you bought the books because each class requires a million pages of research to get what you want.
>>
>>44607470
The vitality split is fine. It's just that some people hate that critical hits actually matter in the system thanks to them.

Anyone who uses stuff like the crit and fumble decks will appreciate it.
>>
>>44607322
>Saga edition is closest to 4e and all that that entails.
>literally not knowing what you're talking about

Saga edition is what 3.5 desperately wanted to be. You've never even opened the Saga book, you just looked it up online.

OP, go for saga edition. the rules in the first edition of the d20 system are hella wonky. Saga edition just Works.
>>
>>44608358
Saga edition is the bastard child of d20 modern's class system (base classes you mix and match to get a desired result) and 4e's combat flow and skill system. It's a bit tighter than 4e (the math is less weird, for one), but I can't see anyone who dislikes 4e liking it.
>>
>>44606363

Saga. It's closest to D&D.

It's also the worst system for Star Wars ttrpg.

Also, there's a Star Wars General for all these questions, there need not be a thread every day asking about Star Wars RPGs.
>>
>>44608608
d20 modern class system, i'll grant you. But it's not as fucking retarded as d20 modern. And it's not like 4e at all, except that the force powers can be used once each encounter. That is literally the only similarity. The hp system is like Spycraft mixed with Mutants and Masterminds. That'd be the biggest thing I'd add, I think. get more spycraft elements in there.

I ran 4e for a year straight because the host of the game bullied me into it. Then I ran Saga edition for four months and it was a breath of fresh air. 4e had the same sort of encounter pattern [encounter powers, at wills, maybe burn a daily and an action point]. This dynamic is not present in Saga edition AT ALL. Because the only characters which have significant encounter powers are force users.

4e had hour long combats vs kobolds. Saga edition kept combat light and fast.

stop talking about what you don't know about desu
>>
>>44608708
Your complaints about 4e are the math issues.
>>
>>44608708
And yet have you played revised edition? As someone who's played both, the similarities of 3.5 to Star wars revised and are almost 1 for 1 in everything but hp.

If OP wants a 3.5 port its Revised not Saga
>>
>>44608835
>burn vitality to use force powers
>non-jedi have to take levels in force adept to use the force
it's just a less flexible system. I always remove the jedi class and give PCs two bonus feats at level one, so they can pick one of the four base classes and pick "force sensitive, exotic weapon proficiency, and force training." This gives the jedi actual diversity, and the ability to multiclass without self-nerfing.

>>44608753
my complaints about 4e is that it turned roleplaying back into a board game with fun flavor text. Saga doesn't do this.
>>
>>44608998
>my complaints about 4e is that it turned roleplaying back into a board game with fun flavor text. Saga doesn't do this.

It doesn't have flavor text?
>>
>>44609052
you can reskin 4e to be whatever you want without too much effort. There's an example in the DMG about letting a PC play a Salamander by reskinning the ranger class. Saga has concepts attached to it's mechanics. in Saga, the world exists off of the battlemap.
>>
>>44609105
How does that stop you from reskinning Saga?
>>
>>44606363
>WEG might be better suited for original trilogy and expanded universe. In this case you want 2nd edition revised and expanded.
So I don't have to start a new thread, I'll just ask here. What's up with WEG's Dark Side and Cybernetics rules?
Like, it's pretty impossible to play a Dark Side character or game without taking it up the ass from DSP constantly.
And then why do Cybernetics make you evil? That just seems dumb.
>>
>>44609815
darth vader.
>>
>>44609815
>And then why do Cybernetics make you evil? That just seems dumb.

OK, to understand this, you have to realize that the WEG SW RPG was not only following the correct canon at the time of printing, it was actually BUILDING canon. Things that appeared in the WEG books were considered mid- to high-level canon, in some cases, just below the actual films.

At that point in SW canon, cyborgs and cybernetics were seen as distasteful, unwanted, and repulsive by many inhabitants of the Galaxy. Getting a robot hand was not a pleasant thing, and you took steps to cover up your "disability" because people would judge you as being less than human(oid) if they found out about it.

This is probably tied in with the cyberpsychosis trope that was running rampant in cyberpunk fiction at the time. The metagame rationale for it is probably that it's easier to gimp a character with cybernetics than it is to try and work cybernetics into the game in a balanced way, because let's face it, PCs are gonna murderhobo, and despite being told that everyone in the setting will dislike you if you 'bot yourself out, very few players are going to be dissuaded from min-maxing due to the thread of a wholly roleplay-derived "penalty".

tl;dr it's to keep players from breaking the game.

However, feel free to ignore any rules you dislike, and run the game however you see fit. That's the whole point of RPGs, after all.
>>
>>44609815
>it's pretty impossible to play a Dark Side character
Intentional. At the time going darkside was a one-way ticket, and all protagonists wore white hats (or at least Han Solo silver grey).
Now we have protags that go all the way to charcoal-coloured hats, and the system hasn't been updated in decades.
>>
>>44607322
Saga Edition is everything 4E should have been but wasn't.
>>
>>44607322
>Saga edition is closest to 4e and all that that entails.
Saga edition is not like 4e. Saga Edition is what 3aboos were hoping for: different enough to justify its own book, but still essentially the same OGLd20 that everybody's been playing since 2000 in all meaningful respects.

IF anything, the fact that SWSE hit the exact marketing sweet-spot that people raised on OGLd20 wanted, and was unofficially as a sort-of almost-preview to 4e (at least lots of people thought it was,) exacerbated the "it's different therefore I hate it" system shock.

I present to you this 3aboo >>44613446 as evidence
>>
>>44609105
>you can reskin 4e to be whatever you want without too much effort. There's an example in the DMG about letting a PC play a Salamander by reskinning the ranger class.
You say this, but I get the distinct impression it's a criticism. I'm genuinely confused, because that sounds awesome, and the ease of refluff is easily the best thing about 4e. How is "you can play literally any concept you can think of, and it's going to be mechanically viable, your mechanics don't enforce/limit your role-play, and you don't need to wait for some splat book to make a class/feat/prestige-class for your concept and pray it's not broken shit" a bad thing?

>>44609352
>How does that stop you from reskinning Saga?
Ease of refluff is a distinct feature of a system, and compared to 4e, it falls flat. It's easier than, say, 5e, but still.
>>
>>44616698
>>44609352here
I didn't communicate it well, but that was sorta my point. Well, half of it. I was trying to imply that if reskinnning is what makes 4e... whatever that guy thinks it is, newsflash Saga is reskinnable as well, and it isn't even hard.
>>
>>44606363
>cant seem the get a straight answer.
Where do you think you are?
>>
File: 1450691126608.gif (48KB, 208x331px) Image search: [Google]
1450691126608.gif
48KB, 208x331px
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.