[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 40k worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Support.png (398KB, 825x667px) Image search: [Google]
Support.png
398KB, 825x667px
I played the games on pc. They were pretty fucking awesome. Now I want to play with miniatures. I checked them out and they're expensive as fuck. But is it worth it? If I just get a small army and play for fun at my lgs?
>>
>>44597237
>playing 40k for fun.
THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS FUN
>>
>>44597290
THIS
THERE IS ONLY WAR
>>
>>44597237
I started 10 years ago, as a hobby. I have to date spent something like 5,000 USD on this fucking addiction.
>>
>>44597335
But was it worth it? Did you at least have fun?
>>
See if your local shop runs Killteam tournaments. If not, start one on your own. They are skirmish-style matches that start out at 200 points. They are hella fun and they help you get a feel for whether you like the game or not. I started with Space Wolves because I like dogs and saw the Fenrisian Wolves and fell in love. I have been running them in Killteam games with friends for a?year now.

I can't link to the Heralds of Ruin page cuz 4chan thinks my post is spam. Just Google "40k killteam" and it should be your first result. Scroll down and pick the army you are interested in and download their little faction packet. Look over it to see what you need then price it out.

>tl;dr Look into killteams at your local shop
>>
>>44597460
I'll look into that. How long would you say it takes to prepare miniatures for this?
>>
>>44597418
I had a lot more fun painting my 3 armies than I ever did playing.
Playing is fun when you've got beer and chips to spare, but it's not a particularly good game.
Play for the setting, play for your hobbying friends, play for the fluff, play for the pretty plastic toys, but for god's sake do not play for the rules.
Was it worth it? Sure. I'm still paying for my plastic crack, so it has to be worth it.
Did I have fun? More often than not, but not always. With a company like GW it's too easy to be a negative nancy...
>>
>>44597493
Takes about 4 hours for me to paint each mini.
I paint on commission mostly, to feed my plastic crack addiction, so YMMV given i've been running my assembly line for years.
>>
>>44597515
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty shite at painting. Is painting a must for playing this game?
>>
>>44597536
I'm just going to ask since I'm pretty shite at painting, but how did your first army turn out?
>>
>>44597537
Sometimes big tournaments will require people to paint their minis, but it is never required at the local level.
>>
>>44597557
My first army was shit. I was like 10 and using craft paints.
I stripped them 5 years later and painted the whole army again to a high tabletop standard.
Watch Duncan's tutorials and you'll have no issue.
>>44597537
Depends who you ask. For me it's kindof a must. I'll play against an unpainted army, but it makes me think that the other player is lazy to an extent. I don't expect all armies to even look good, but seeing swathes of colored models on the table feels a lot better than seeing legions of gray plastic.
>>
>>44597237

If you think they're expensive you're too poor to afford it. $50 for a tank or $2.50 for a plastic guy isn't "expensive".
>>
>>44597669
Any advice for paints? Are wargame paints worth it or will normal acrylics be good enough to cut my teeth on?
Also, any advice for terrain? I figure cheap paints would fine be there, and cheap spray paints to lay down large amounts of color.
Not OP but about to get my very first minis when the Tau box ships. Friend and I are getting into game via Kill team HoR.
>>
>>44597237
>Is it worth it?

It's a hobby, and as such it's something to do. If I had to give you an answer, I've been doing the hobby off and on for the past four or so years. Interests in it wax and wane, but it's always there in some form. I would say that if you can find a good friend in the hobby that you can enjoy it with, then it's worth it.

Though some words of wisdom...

For starters, make sure you're ready to invest into this shit. As you're probably already aware, it's not cheap, though a lot of the cost comes from first getting in with a decent army. Everything from there kind of pales in comparison to the starting cost of an army (unless you're buying the "big toys" like Forgeworld superheavies and Imperial Knights).

Make sure that the army you pick is the one you're going to stick with through thick and thin because unlike in the games, you can't just change it on a whim without sacrificing either a lot of time, or a lot of money. Likely both. I made the mistake of starting off Necrons when I found that I enjoyed Chaos more. I still love the Necrons in their fluff and their models, but they lacked a certain depth that I craved, and found in Chaos. Even to this day those poor Necrons are sitting around, half-assembled and half-painted.

And when choosing an army, try not to let anyone influence you to buy an army you don't like. Telling you what an army's feel and fluff is like is fine, but trying to get you into something you don't want isn't. It's your money, not theirs. Spend it how you want to.
And contrary to what everyone on /tg/ likes to believe, it's alright to go Eldar or Tau if you truly like them and their fluff/models. I myself really like the Tau models.

And finally don't focus too much on the rules unless you're planning to do tournaments, which I doubt you want to. It's alright to fine tune your list to be good, but don't go full WAACko with it and fill the list with nothing but cheese.
>>
>>44597237

If you ask "is the game worth it" Id say no.
But if you asked, is the "hobby" worth it, id say definitely yes.

I love the hobby as a whole. I love painting, I love feeling that proud moment when I'm finally finished with a piece, and I love fielding it on the table.
Together with the right friends and with the right attitude (check out btp youtube channel for that, some of the worst painting service in the world, but still seems like the most happy gamers in the world! You can tell they really enjoy the game for what it is.) you are going to have a blast.
Me and my friends try to play some each and every Saturday. Good food, good snacks and good friends, together with some epic mayhem on the table is what its all about!
>>
>>44597237
I've had untold amounts of fun from playing/painting the minis. It costs an arm and a leg (unless you happen to find a recaster), and takes a fair bit of a time investment.
>>
>>44598511
When painting your minis, use hobby paints.
I like Citadel paints, but Vallejo and Formula 3 are good too.
Also get decent brushes, not that sable shit.
>>
It is more fun to paint than to play. I created my own rules to play with my friends. It's not worth it unless you are already a hobbyist. If you want to play 40k because of the video games, then you wont enjoy it
>>
>>44598511
buy only base colors and the corresponding citadel shade first. Shade is the best stuff evar. thin your paints and sometimes the paint does not cover the model in full, it is better to wait for the paint to dry and make another layer over the old then to just apply thick layers.
take care of your brushes, so the tip stays in one point. It is extremly easy to damage a brush, so watch some youtube vids about brush handling. Not kidding here
>>
>>44597237
don't buy from GW

discount games store has some good prices, or you can buy second hand off ebay

it's fun if you like tabletop games and painting cool minis
>>
>>44597237
>Is 40k worth it?

Christ no
>>
>>44597237
just go for any other game other than warmahordes, wh40k and warmahordes are full of WAAC faggots who cheat on new players.

I would recommend x-wing if you aren't into painting.
if you want to try painting - go for any other game - just check if there are people playing it at FLGS.
on a side note: new infinity molds are damn fun to paint, but older ones can be a bitch mind you.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.