[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPGs that use cards instead of dice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: 2015-06-04_107poker-682332_640.jpg (81KB, 640x509px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-04_107poker-682332_640.jpg
81KB, 640x509px
Have you ever seen this done well? Are there any good examples?

Are there any interesting RPGs that use custom cards instead?
>>
Savage Worlds uses cards for initiative order. Super fun and fast.

Each round new cards are dealt.

Face cards first, Ace, King, Queen, Jack, then number cards. In case of matching values, use reverse alphabetical order Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs.

Jokers are left in the deck and go first and also provide a bonus to every action for the round.
>>
>>44589950
There are edges (feats) that manipulate this system as well. "Quick" allows the character to redraw 5's or lower. "Level Headed" allows the character to draw two cards and use the best one.
>>
>>44589950
>>44590090
>First post is about Savage Worlds.

Mein negger.

The only drawback to this system is that it's a mite bit more difficult to use when the group is not face-to-face. Skype is alright, but in a medium like play-by-post or something it basically amounts to "let the DM draw and pray they're telling you the truth."
>>
I remember a dragonlance game using cards, but ive never actually seen it. It looks interesting though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance:_Fifth_Age

>>44589950
>>44590135
Does anyone know if the original deadlands used cards as well?
>>
The quiet year can use a deck of cards, each suit for a season shuffled randomly. New draws are the event that week with choices for the players to make. Works well.
>>
There's 'Through the Breach' the Malifaux RPG. It's supposed to be really easy to throw together a game too.
>>
>>44589596
Deadlands (System that SW is based on) uses cards for initiative, and Hucksters get some special effects with cards

Malafaux (the RPG) uses cards in place of dice. You have a hand of cards you can use to "cheat" results, suits proc special effects.

Everway and Arkana use Tarot-like cards for narrative resolution.
>>
>>44591534
>Everway and Arkana use Tarot-like cards for narrative resolution.
That would be interesting.
>>
>>44589950
How is that any better than just rolling a die to see who goes first and just going clockwise from there? Seems like the cards add a whole pointless element to the game.
>>
>>44589596
http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/comment/438512/#Comment_438512

works on any d20 system.
>>
>>44589596
>>
>>44589596
its a solo adventure but...
>>
>>44596237
Cards add a level of tension, as you hide the cards you're dealt and have the DM count down from highest to lowest - it can be incredibly tense when you're nearly dead, drew a 2, the ogre is right in front of you and the DM is currently counting down at 5.

Besides, clockwise? Really? That's even worse than just rolling a d20. If you're a super-agile Rogue but happen to be just right of the winning roll, how does it make sense you go after the two slow-ass barbarians who just happen to be sitting left of the winning roll?
>>
>>44589596
a classic
>>
File: Deck of Fate Dice.jpg (606KB, 2048x1735px) Image search: [Google]
Deck of Fate Dice.jpg
606KB, 2048x1735px
At the risk of someone flipping out because I dare to mention Fate in a system thread, you can run it with the Deck of Fate. You can use it to simulate dice rolls, they have suggestions on the as to what the results might mean, can double as Fate Point counters, etc. They also include lots of symbols you can re-purpose to mean extra things when they show up, like 'An Eclipse means fantastic success or damning defeat no matter how minor the conflict.' Or maybe you just always recover a Fate point when they show up, that sort of thing.

Frankly, I don't think it's worth it for a lot of games as shuffling and reshuffling isn't as easy as scooping up a bunch of dice.
>>
>>44596320
>"Eskimo-Punk"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS8RZcKQwBA
>>
There's a game called Hillfolk that uses cards for resolution. I'd give a breakdown, but I never played it and it's been a while since I read the rules.
>>
>>44589596
Candyland, the game where you roleplay a a Kafkaesque man who transformed into a plastic colored gingerbread man having an existential crisis because his world is entirely deterministic and there is nothing he can do to change his fate, only watch it play out.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 289x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 289x450px
Are they any RPGs that use cards intrestingly? Ie something you couldn't just do with cards?

I was toying with a systerm where the stat relates to the suit of the card some how but I haven't go any spefics.
>>
>>44601562
Through the Breach uses cards similarly to how Malifaux (its minis game origin) does, in that the players have a finite pool of cards based on their character's abilities that they can use to "Cheat Fate". Suits are also relevant when drawing for anything
>>
File: 1424608528157.png (84KB, 299x406px) Image search: [Google]
1424608528157.png
84KB, 299x406px
>>44596464
>fate
>>
File: richard-skinner.jpg (52KB, 549x720px) Image search: [Google]
richard-skinner.jpg
52KB, 549x720px
>>44589596
Sine requiem is an awsome italian RPG about WW II with zombie and a really serious lore.
It use card for numerical check and the tarot for interpretational and luck check.
>>
>>44603720
>I_have_a_shitty_GM_the_post.jpg
>>
>>44589950
Jokers go whenever they want, even in thd middle of an enemies turn and gets +2 to rolls for the round.
>>
>>44589950
Preferred the way Deadlands handled it. It was a less fair and uniform system than Savage Worlds but I like it a lot more. You rolled a stat called Quickness and drew a number of cards based on your roll. You could also reserve, or, "sleeve," a card to act out of order.

It also used cards for character creation with the cards' values determining the die type that all rolls associated with a trait (including its skills) used and the suit determining the number of dice for raw trait rolls (most relevant for Strength, Vigor, and Quickness). Jokers were d12s (the same as aces) but gave a, "mysterious past," a quirk of the character's background that might be either positive or negative (or both) and that the character may or may not be aware of. The mysterious past was assigned by drawing another card. In Hell on Earth, the post-apocalyptic sequel game, strange mutations were also possible.

Then, of course, there were hucksters, wizards who challenged evil spirits to mental contests of chance and will and, if they defeated them, could use the spirit's magic as their own for an instant. These contests were (usually) conceptualized as hands of poker in universe and always represented as such mechanically with better hands granting more powerful effects and better spellcasting rolls allowing the huckster to draw more cards. Drawing a black joker caused the spell to backfire.

Also, one of the game's most central mechanics involved poker chips.
>>
To bring up a skeleton of /tg/s past, wasn't there a project on here that was supposed to be based on card draws, where guns of supernatural might were named after the 54 cards in a two joker deck?
>>
>>44589596
I don't know that I'm too hip on cards replacing dice during actual play, but they can work great during character creation to produce random but fair attributes.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.