[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a few knightly orders in my setting for my players

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: 1429163030845.jpg (333KB, 846x1596px) Image search: [Google]
1429163030845.jpg
333KB, 846x1596px
I want to make a few knightly orders in my setting for my players to ally with or fight against. I'm hoping to have several that are both religious and secular, and have at least a few different shades of alignment be represented.

Will you help me brainstorm some, /tg/? Or can you point me to some fictional or real world examples that might make for good inspiration?
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 200x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 200x338px
Mage-Knights plz

>order of battle sorcerers (see unearthed arcana)
>start out as squires until level 8 when they can wear Mage armor all day
>take ranks in ride for the mount/phantom steed spell
>their "lances" are wands of scorching ray with energy shifts
>touch range spells (chill touch and so on) manifest as phantasmal swords
>>
Not entirely related, but having the enemy be a giant faceless mass of Saracen-like barbarians could potentially be pretty cool.

Only bringing this up because I basically played Muhammad in my last 3.5ed D&D campaign
>>
File: 1429203948818.jpg (524KB, 1500x1006px) Image search: [Google]
1429203948818.jpg
524KB, 1500x1006px
>>
>>44589453
Why not just play a duskblade?
>>
Knightly orders weren't solely involved in warfare. The knights Templar played a big role in economics in the Christian world, acting as bankers and tellers. You could try and have your orders perform more citizen roles, like running hospitals or working as some sort of constabulary
>>
File: 1422941390017.jpg (80KB, 550x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1422941390017.jpg
80KB, 550x1000px
>>44592503
I meant ally or fight against in a looser sense - one order could be friendly and provide a base of operations or quests, while the other could antagonize them or act as rivals.
>>
File: j356-cl-15d4.jpg (47KB, 614x272px) Image search: [Google]
j356-cl-15d4.jpg
47KB, 614x272px
>>44589033
teutons obviously
>>
Obligatory knight order that's basically a bank

Knight order that upholds legitimate rulers according to whatever cosmic hierarchy

Knight order who are mostly scholars who hoard knowledge

Knight order that live in seclusion and train all day to become the best knights in existance
>>
>>44592859
Knight order that lives in a forest and guards a bridge, forbidding entry to all.

Knight order that lives in a forest and guards sacred words of power.
>>
>>44592887
Knight order that is constantly on crusaders, or at least traveling around, attacking pagans

Knight order that's members act as doctors

Knight order who's sole purpose is to protect the church and act as its army
>>
>>44589033
The orders could be in response to some trans-cultural/national threat. A collabrative vanguard against some sustained invading force, needing dedicated and proffessional fighters with intricate knowledge of their enemy. Recruits could be sent from kingdoms as a sign of goodwill and international friendship, and, when relations turn sour, the orders could act as some sort of interpol/mediator.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.