[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That PC thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: 1429881182976.jpg (103KB, 501x210px) Image search: [Google]
1429881182976.jpg
103KB, 501x210px
In your time as a DM or a player, have you ever come across a PC that just flops on the roleplay aspect? Be it a That Guy, a newfag, or just a bad decision in character making, share your war stories of bad characters and bad roleplaying.

I'll start.

>Be running custom setting in which dragonborn are nomads without a home. One player decides to make a Dragonborn paladin of Bahamut.
>This is one of those fuckers who does everything in one short sentence, you know, the "I pull the lever" or "I look at the dragon."
>He decides somewhere along the line that this dragonborn paladin is a complete slut. Why, I don't know.
>By the time we've gone from the starting city to the next one I've had to sit through three separate ERP's.
>One with the half-elf rogue, one with the human ranger, one with the tiefling rogue.
>For some reason everyone in the party wanted to be a squishy, don't ask me why.
>Attempted to get in bed with the quarter-giant Barbarian as well, but he turned her down cold.
>Now these ERP scenes are really awkward to listen to because the guy playing the paladin dragoncunt still just gave one sentence descriptors like "I suck his dick" or "I moan."
>Not only is this paladin a slut, she's a moron
>I very explicitly laid out in the homebrew's lore that any holy magic from any Neutral or above deity would harm undead.
>Bitch attempts to use Lay On Hands for everything
>This comes to a conclusion when she attempts to wake a friendly NPC lich from unconsciousness with Lay On Hands
>Wakes up the lich alright, because she fucking burns two hand-shaped wounds into her flesh

Note this wasn't out of malice or desire to hurt the lich, the player and thus the PC are dense as fuck.

I never had a chance to really do anything about it, the player got bored with whoring and getting penalized for not paying any attention to the setting-specific rules.
>>
>>44581249
So you and your group is totally ok and casual about having erps throughout the session?
>>
>>44581670
I usually say no unless it advances the plot, but this guy just wouldn't take the hint.
>>
>>44581733
You're the gm, gotta bring the hammer down harder if need be.
>>
File: Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg (232KB, 834x1285px) Image search: [Google]
Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg
232KB, 834x1285px
>>44582314
THIS.

Remember, you're there to enjoy the game too, even if you're a DM.

And if it gets too much,
no game > shit game
>>
>fails a sense motive check opposed to bluff
>acts even more suspicious of the character

for what reason?
>>
File: official-15th-level-wizard.png (150KB, 490x864px) Image search: [Google]
official-15th-level-wizard.png
150KB, 490x864px
>Allow PCs to create magic item because reasons
>That guy immediately starts minmaxing item creating rules, making obvious broken as fuck shit for cheap

This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>44582314

This

Bad players don't exist for more than one session, there are only GMs who don't know when to yank the leash.
>>
>>44584682

Because GMs never have players roll sense motive checks for benign or helpful NPCs and total separation of player and character knowledge isn't usually done.
>>
>>44584945
>allow PCs to create magic items because reasons
>party paladin gets all excited about making some magic plate armor for himself
>he never shuts up about it and takes every chance to stockpile raw materials for it
>party gets some downtime
>he suddenly realizes he isn't proficient with smithing tools
>neither is anyone else in the party
>he runs out to get the fucking farrier who's shoeing the party's horses and orders him to help him make some exquisite plate armor
>I let it happen, because it's pretty funny
>he's surprised and mad when I tell him that the armor comes out looking like shit
>>
>>44585328
Does it work, though?
Most PCs would use the corpse of their mothers as armor if it gave better stats.
>>
>>44581249
>In your time as a DM or a player, have you ever come across a PC that just flops on the roleplay aspect? Be it a That Guy, a newfag, or just a bad decision in character making, share your war stories of bad characters and bad roleplaying.
I probably would have some good stories to tell you if I didn't already learn from other people's mistakes to have some strict screening practices during character creation.

so, as a result problematic PCs get weeded out really early.
>>
>>44585350
I let it basically work because I'd gotten him mad enough. I might have it split apart at some point, though. And the local bards will definitely sing of how ugly his armor is. Like, I imagine that the helmet's faceplate was supposed to have some kind of scary face on it, but instead he just scratched a doodle of a face onto it.
>>
File: keksimus_maximus.png (332KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
keksimus_maximus.png
332KB, 596x628px
>>44585841
>Like, I imagine that the helmet's faceplate was supposed to have some kind of scary face on it, but instead he just scratched a doodle of a face onto it.
>>
File: 1450831502691.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1450831502691.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>44585841
I like you.
>>
>>44581249
>Group of people playing non-DnD, but heavy roleplay-based game.
>That Guy literally puts no effort
>That Guy tries to find excuses not to write his characters interacting with others
>DM defends his ways and rewards him the same as the players who actually put effort into the game

Why try, /tg/?
>>
>>44587538
Well that sucks.
But aren't you in the game for the love of roleplaying?
For me playing with my friends is its own reward, although you could encourage your GM to dole out points for good roleplay/drama/fun/whatever, so you can have your special reward.
It works even better if those points are given out by a player vote in my opinion
>>
>>44584682
That's why you roll these without them knowing unless they ask and only say if the character seems suspicious or not.
>>
>>44587608
>But aren't you in the game for the love of roleplaying?

Thanks for the reminder. But it's not so simple as that anymore. The only reason I'm still in the game is because I love my character.

The DM is too afraid to put his foot down. By making everyone equal, he's making the game more unfair because he's essentially catering to one person that doesn't even try. We never win at anything. Our characters are supposed to be heroes, but we're hated and betrayed at every turn. Every time we do "win", it's at a terrible cost. He doesn't give people rewards or bonuses. All I know is suffering, anon.

The DM thinks I'm the only one who feels this way when in reality other members of this group feel the same.
>>
>>44587742
Why not grab everyone bothered by it and talk about it?
>>
File: 1449235262214.jpg (81KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1449235262214.jpg
81KB, 300x250px
>>44587742
That sounds horrible, anon.
Try getting all the guys together around a pizza and talking about your expectations from a game, for it might yet be salvaged.
The night is darkest before dawn, have faith, bro.
>>
>>44587909
I already did. As it turns out, it doesn't mean anything if the DM never listens to you and thinks of you all as enormous babies for disagreeing with how he DMs.

>>44587910
He's dismissive and thinks I brought up my concerns to him because I was butthurt, when in reality it's unfair that one guy is being rewarded for doing nothing. DMs are above criticism, apparently.
>>
>>44587742
Sounds like my game, but I don't even love my character. I'm just in it cause I'd become a friendless shut-in if I left.
>>
>>44587742

>Beta DMs

The singular reason games fail. It literally always boils down to this reason.
>>
File: 1433738857684.jpg (35KB, 508x472px) Image search: [Google]
1433738857684.jpg
35KB, 508x472px
>>44588061
>>44588063
I wish you all the best, bros.
Hope you find another game and a cool group or peace with your current one.

Damn, I didn't come for feels.
>>
>>44588061
It sounds like your problem is a shitty DM. Why are you still playing with him?
>>
>>44587742
>>44588061
To be honest you do kind of sound like a massive crybaby.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.