[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How will you run a vaporwave setting? What will a vaporwave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: a3690324311_10.jpg (152KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
a3690324311_10.jpg
152KB, 900x900px
How will you run a vaporwave setting?
What will a vaporwave setting be like anyway?
For those who don't know just watch this https://youtu.be/DYM0kEJM8mU?list=PL9kg-FT8pbhAOmgKIcCB6zhbeuYMBRvU7
>>
Not sure how one would make a vaporwave "setting" considering it's just some shitty meme aesthetic based on le epic 90s CGI and slowing down old pop songs. There's not a lot of material to go on, and the material that does exist is retarded.

Maybe the world could be a microscopic culture located on Diana Ross's scalp.
>>
>>44573895

>Maybe the world could be a microscopic culture located on Diana Ross's scalp.

Yeah, I could be down for this.
>>
>Elves speak midi keyboard
>The source magical power is consumerism
>Towns are constructed out of broken vinyl
>>
To take a more serious perspective:

You can't go with a fantasy setting here. It just won't work. Near-future, oddly enough, would be the best place to put vaporwave, even if it's nostalgia for the recent past.

Your setting needs layers of perfection and beauty and perfection painted on, then slowly stripped away through your campaign. If you're looking for a culture, base it off the "crystal spires and togas" cliche, though modified for a more modern style rather than the far-future it perceives. I could really see you going dystopian with it; a setting in stagnation, fixated on its own past and drowning in its own failings as it advances.

You don't have to go full "aesthetic" with the 90s CGI and Diana Ross like >>44574038 mentioned. At least from my view of it, vaporwave is cyberpunk from the wageslave's perspective. It's a perfect, fixed world, where everything is exactly as it always was and the same as it always will be. And then you turn that on its head, distort what's familiar, create the unsettling atmosphere a lot of early vaporwave went for, and work from there.

I could continue if you want, but I think that'll give you a good enough start.
>>
>A ring shaped mega-mall in space, orbiting around a dead or dying planet, long abandoned by its inhabitants
>The PC's are a fledgling spacefaring race (not humans or humanoids like elves or the like, in order to push the eerie atmosphere) that have discovered the ring
>As they explore the mall, they see that it is still in operation, the gaudy lights still lit, advertisements still running and strange music looping endlessly
>Throughout all the damage, it doesn't look like any of it was caused by violence
>Service robots lay in disrepair, some shops are locked down, red lights still flashing, security cameras follow the PC's movements, and lockdowns have walled off parts of the mall
>What robots are still around are either the eerie pale mannequins that stalk you through the clothing shops, killer guardbots that repeat a message in a foreign language, service robots gone rogue, and the four AI that keep sending you cryptic and contradictory messages.
>Service halls are no better, as some have been quarantined due to gas leakage, hull breaches leave some areas vulnerable to the vacuum of space, and repairbots keep registering you as broken robots in need of repairs
>The party must find out what happened to the previous inhabitants, resolve the conflict with the four AI's, escape with their lives, and possibly find out how to turn off that glitchy, eerie ambiance the long-dead race called "vaporwave"
>>
It takes place in a 90's computer program and everything is code for a game or something. Include metagame elements at your own discretion.
>>
>>44573895

Go away, Ross Payton, and post episode 4 of God's Teeth already, you horrible monster.
>>
File: Mac.png (107KB, 225x244px) Image search: [Google]
Mac.png
107KB, 225x244px
Well, first off, browse through these threads:

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/40417037/#40417037
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/39078551/#39078551
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/38701243/#38701243

My personal image is a Cyberpunkish setting with intentionally clunky and outdated-looking 90s technology. It's obvious that the world's gone to shit and nothing has moved forward for years, but everybody still seems to earnestly cling to long-dead ideals and beliefs. Machine cults are common.

The most frequent landscapes you see are sprawling, partly-abandoned cities that seem to have collapsed on themselves - incredibly inconvenient to live in, and it seems like they just kept on creating things bigger and bigger without any regard for safety or usefulness. Oftentimes, one city will be built on top of another, and the buildings will merge together in odd ways. Other settings include massive ocean cities and skies with obvious limits marked off by cloud-painted walls, pseudo-Classical architecture with cybernetic upgrades, and three-dimensional recreations of old-fashioned paintings. You'll find barcodes and Japanese characters everywhere. Foes include dolphins, re-animated sculptures, and flashing polygons.

Wars are often the result of Usenet arguments being misinterpreted as words of gods.

The most notable thing is that it feels very lonely/empty. Most NPCs you encounter will not seem to be human, or able to communicate with you. I'm picturing a lot of maintenance robots who are obsessively scrubbing clean floors, or old-fashioned automatons making simple motions. They can still be benevolent and friendly, or aggressive, but their exact nature is unclear.

To quote FrankJavCee: "It's kinda like living in a junkyard, but you're in a dystopian future, and you find a buncha VHS tapes, and you're the only person in the world, and everything is lonely, but you have a bunch of weed, and you're high all the tim. And you're in Japan. And you're in the sky."
>>
>>44574775
What's Homer doing hanging around with Moonman? Seems awfully controversial for a wholesome family show.
>>
>>44574775

So, it's a cyberpunk Dark Souls?
>>
>>44575025
>cyberpunk darksouls

I'd play that
I'd play it so hard
>>
It would look sort of like Second Life, but nobody is around anymore. All the players are gone but all the things they made and the little personal utopias they built are still around waiting for them to come back. Referances to in-jokes that meant something to someone at sometime. Links to social media profiles that have been inactive for years, if they aren't just dead links that is.

I would probably have the players move from one private fantasy land to the next, inspired by the voyage of Mael Duin in Irish folklore.
>>
>>44574406
Magic should definitely be included in the setting somehow. Magical consumerist sea creatures or out-of-place taoist trinkets or something. Maybe different brands of consumer goods represent different types of magic?

>>44574641
>Trying to make out strange markings on the walls only to find out that they're posters for HUGE SAVINGS THIS WEEK
>Crafting weapons out of whatever you can find lying around the ruined stores
>Pleasant robots who only want to help chasing you down
>Navigating over toppled piles of potentially-dangerous machinery and products, only to find the door is locked and the only way out is through the...perfume department.

I like this idea. Feels like Space Hulk mixed with Mall Madness. Jeanstealers would fit in perfectly.

>>44574984
I know this is bait, but
>Not recognizing Saint Pepsi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGCEc6j9fRo

>>44575437
I've always wanted to so something like this - trying to hunt through dead links to find something useful in an elemental plane of forgotten dreams. That often clash horribly with each other.
>>
>>44575437
That's literaly what this song is about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVe-6FeB7EM
>>
File: hello world 1.png (196KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
hello world 1.png
196KB, 600x390px
>>44573895

A more subdued, kitschy Shadowrun, with the subdued part being used for its uncannyness: everything smells like a 90s department store and is clean and relatively organized, if bizzarely organized. You have holograms and perhaps even hard-light objects (that look otherworldy and somewhat off due to the primitive way they're rendered), pre-recorded messages, synthesized and electronically altered music, and CDs and CD players being vitally important devices holding imoprtant data, messages, and music to sway the masses towards or against the companies that have control of the setting (though unlike Cyberpunk said companies are usually well-meaning and not intentionally antagonistic, with their opposers not always being in the right, or at least make the wrong assumptions about them). Always off camera are the unclean, filthy, and ultimately damaging practices that make such things possible; most people wish to ignore this awful truth, with some fringe groups seeking to expose it; the question is, would exposing such to the public do more harm than good, and if so, the alterantive choices?

Basically, Cyberpunk if the Megacorps weren't 2D Evil-Capitalists, and the propaganda they spouted off about delinquints had a grain of truth in it. Also, everything is cleaner, but only on-stage, much like a sitcom being ran by sociopaths. Oh, an everything is generally less down to earth as people tamper with technology that they don't have a full grasp over, unintentionally causing long-term disaster even if they were intending to help.
>>
>>44574641
Stealing this for later.
Would GURPS work for this setting?
>>
>>44574641
Actually sounds like a perfect scenario to run in Numenera
>>
File: 1444596424066.gif (1018KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1444596424066.gif
1018KB, 499x374px
>>44577513
>asking if gurps works for any setting
>>
>>44573895
I always saw vaporwave as viable soundtrack to post-post-apocalyptic scenarios. You know, the ones where humanity fucked itself in the ass with a great war and left overtechnology that looks like magic, like scrapped princess and a little bit of one piece. It then proceeded o repopulate, most of it's knowloedge lost, and come back to a sort of scarcely populated bronze age. Players would have to adventure desolated forests and mountains, trying to find mostly shelter and food, sometimes other humans. Battles would be against megafauna, artifacts from a society no less gaudy than Ming's palace in Flash Gordon could be found in ruins. Operation of these aparatuses would produce effects much like vaporwave music itself, something like the thing it was originally supposed to do, but deteriorated and sometimes with a completely new result. Try to think of tomoshibi's Brave Gear Tribute, or Shadow of the Colossus for the tone of the setting.
I really like MIDI dungeon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJqaCm527iM
>>
>>44574641
Sooooo... SMT Strange Journey's Sector Carina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZlDSt2upM
SMT's soundtrack in general has a lot of good vaporwave material. Soul Hackers soundtrack in special is pretty much like any Slowed down Diana Ross.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (120KB, 600x260px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
120KB, 600x260px
>>44578416
I always think it works better for the massive, sedated middle class in a cyberpunk setting. They live vapid, fabulous lives. All their senses oversaturated and their minds empty.

pic related, the Neo Seoul scenes in Cloud Atlas are a good example of "vapourwave atop dystopia" that I feel would make for a good campaign setting.

That's playing it straight though, and we all know vapourwave is actually ironic. So its counterculture so doesn't work for my idea at all.
>>
File: 1392930471454.jpg (108KB, 499x368px) Image search: [Google]
1392930471454.jpg
108KB, 499x368px
>>44573895
This fucking thread every week same guy

Go play Second Life. It's what you're looking for.
>>
>>44578555
As ironic as it is, I actually like it over most source material.
I do like the idea of using "togas and spires", but vaporwave seems to have something to do with deterioration and loss of meaning of old things. This works best, in my opinion, in settings with lost artifacts(which could actually be run neatly with numenera as much as i hate it).
I can meet you halfway through on this, I'll discard conventional fantasy if you at least admit the Book of the New Sun would work well as a vaporwave setting with minor tweaks, like the people in towns far from the war actually having access to some degree of technology.
>>
Wouldnt it just be cowboy bebop but on the shit parts of Mars?
>>
File: 1446014122017.jpg (151KB, 1275x718px) Image search: [Google]
1446014122017.jpg
151KB, 1275x718px
>>44574540
>I could really see you going dystopian with it; a setting in stagnation, fixated on its own past and drowning in its own failings as it advances.

Too real, anon. Too real.
>>
>>44575437

So, worlds.com?
>>
>>44574641
regular empty megamalls are one thing, but a mall the size of a planet's ring is something else
>>
>>44574540
Fantasy does not mean the past though. You can have a more aesthetic Shadowrun for example.
>>
>>44583991
Well, I also don't really consider Shadowrun to be fully fantasy; it occupies a space that's mostly cyberpunk, very partially fantasy, and even then, that mostly revolves around the magic. Metatypes are just an exaggeration of real-life racial tension; they may be "fantasy", but when orks are literally blacks, dwarves are literally Jews, and elves and trolls have a few counterparts each, it's not so major. Really, the magic and the dragons are the only BIG departure from cyberpunk, and the dragons don't show up in my campaign much if at all.

>>44581774
Hey, I write what I know.

;_;
>>
>>44585645
Allgorical fantasy is still fantasy. Also it isn't like genres are mutually exclusive, at least not in most cases. You can be both cyberpunk and fantasy in equal parts.
>>
>>44585838
Oh, certainly. There's no denying Shadowrun has fantasy elements. They're just far less predominant than the cyberpunk elements, for obvious reasons.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.