[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>When America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

File: ballyshannon-good1.jpg (58KB, 597x775px) Image search: [Google]
ballyshannon-good1.jpg
58KB, 597x775px
>When America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to.

This is a reminder that the most important part of your sword is the hilt. If you've ever traded one sword for another without considering which hilt to keep, you've spat in the face of all that is good.
>>
>>44567911
A lot of sword are made with the hilt, if you try to switch it up it might not fit or would throw off the balance
>>
The hilt and the sword are a single piece. OP is retarded.

That text is pretty obvious to me. Why would you leave your saddle with the dead horse? That's retarded.
>>
>>44568120
>Why would you leave your saddle with the dead horse? That's retarded.

Because it is heavy, and your next horse will already have a saddle?
>>
>>44568139
>your next horse will already have a saddle
I didn't know the saddle was birthed alonside the foal.
>>
>>44568339
Dude you need some animal planet up in ya then...

Everyone knows that's that's the difference between horses and zebra one is born with a saddle!
>>
>>44568339

>he doesn't steal horses
>>
File: Consider.gif (494KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Consider.gif
494KB, 500x374px
>>44567911
>interface you get used to
Not with a sword. There isn't much technology in them to get used to. You only essentially use the grip, and the pommel is just another part of the weapon. Strictly speaking, the idea is flawed. A saddle is pretty valuable and requires a lot of effort to make. A sword hilt is either one or two slats of wood, wrapped in cord and leather.
>>44568017
>throw off balance
Not really, no. Most swords were hollow, and were not counterbalances. Some Rapiers had counterbalances, but most of the counterbalancing was done by the complex hilt.
>>44568120
Not a single piece.
>>44568139
Saddles are indeed very heavy, and that is a very good reason to leave them in a survival situation.
>>44568339
No, but when horses were the main transportation, you can bet your britches there were lots of saddlemakers. Most horses which could be ridden already had saddles, and you might only consider using another saddle if you had certain preferences or needs. And if that saddle fit the horse. A saddle must be fitted to the horse for the most comfort to the beast.
>but it's an animal
Well, see how successful your horse is when it develops sores and starts pussing all over the back.
>>
File: 1419131667963.jpg (65KB, 600x719px) Image search: [Google]
1419131667963.jpg
65KB, 600x719px
>Using a saddle

For what purpose?
>>
>>44569066
>Most swords were hollow
Opinion discarded
>>
>>44570394
I had meant to write pommel, but only noticed I wrote "swords" after I couldn't delete the post anymore.
>most pommels were hollow and not conterbalances
>>
>>44569066
You know that a saddle around 1880 could cost as much as a horse ? It would be far cheaper to refit the saddle than to buy a new one. Plus saddle pads reduce the issues of a ill-fitting saddle.
>>
>>44570510
I was aware saddles were expensive, but the price of a horse is really steep. I'll take your word for it. And yes, it's totally possible to refit a saddle.
>>
>>44568017
>>44568120
Any smith can replace your broken blade for a new one, hilts post iron-age come apart so you can replace the leather, the pommel or the blade..
>>
>>44568339
"If the young saddle cannot find a host horse to attach to, it will not make it through the spring"
>>
>>44571603
>Any smith can replace your broken blade for a new one,

The vast majority of smiths did not know how to make a new blade. Blades were traded throughout europe, unmounted, and a skilled cutler could rehilt it. A normal blacksmith does not have the tools or skill.

> hilts post iron-age come apart so you can replace the leather, the pommel or the blade..

No, they didnt.
>>
>>44571603
They come apart with extreme difficulty and a proper set of tools. You can't exactly do a field swap.
"CHANGING HILTS"
*sword makes clacking noise as you slam in a fresh hilt*
>>
>>44571640
>>44571709
Ok, "any" may not be the word. Still I'm a smith and I've made a buck pullinging apart ruined swords for a local museum and refitting blades for collectors. Mostly 15th-19th century pieces and modern swords do come apart quite easy.

As always, it depends on the setting.
>>
>>44567911
>When America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse weighed a shit ton and was literally useless now that it was dead, but the saddle could be carried with relative ease, and would be needlessly expensive to replace.
ftfy
>>
>>44570703
>I'll take your word for it.
What? That's not how internet debate is supposed to work, especially on 4chan!
Fight me, insult me, call me a faggot, use smug reaction images!!

Sorry, I'm just not used to people being reasonable and nice to each other here.
>>
>>44571709
Only long suppression swords made for extended swinging had quick change hilts. It's not like they'd mastered open pommel air cooled designs in the middle ages yet.
>>
>>44572413
>>44571709
Oh man I need this now. It'd be like medieval Vanquish.
Hell, maybe you'd have a bunch of blades strapped to you and you swap those in and out. Maybe it's like Zabuza's Executioner's Blade and you can just screw in more hilt-length to give yourself more leverage.
>>
>>44572698
Deselpunk Mideival 100 years war.
>>
>>44567911
>mfw somebody else just watched the first ten minutes of Hateful Eight
>>
>>44567911

The only sword that comes to mind that you can easily remove the hilt is Japanese style swords.
>>
>>44569066
>Most swords were hollow, and were not counterbalances. Some Rapiers had counterbalances, but most of the counterbalancing was done by the complex hilt

You are a fucking idiot
>>
>>44572698
It would make sense if
1. You needed the sharpest blades possible, to the point where durability was an afterthought compared to being able to make at least one solid swing with the sharpest possible edge

2. Blades were cheap enough that you could carry several into battle.
>>
>>44568139

Saddles are an expensive piece of complicated leatherwork. They don't come with the fucking horse. They're worth like a month's pay.
>>
>>44572848
I also corrected myself after the first reply. If you took two seconds out of your day, you would have seen that.
But instead you decided to get mad and call someone else an idiot on the internet.
And now you look like an assumptious prick.
>>
>>44572872
So, Attack on Titan, then? I mean that's literally what's going on there, complete with reloading your sword and CHI-CLACK
>>
>>44573136
That's one way to have reloading swords.
You could also have a situation where you need to switch between weapon types the go, like the Witcher. But then, I guess you might as well carry multiple swords.

The hilts themselves imbue the sword with a magic property? So you could have a single blade, and switch out hilts for various damage types.
>>
>>44573136
Let's be fair, the blades on the 3d maneuver gear are really less swords and more machetes.
>>
>>44573251
>The hilts themselves imbue the sword with a magic property? So you could have a single blade, and switch out hilts for various damage types.
Ten Commandments was a bitchin sword.
>>
>>44573273
Wouldn't curved swords work better for their purposes too? Don't curved edges work better for all the hack work they do?
Why don't they all just get khopeshs?
>>
>>44573251
Why stop there? Hilts have limited charge, so you're literally reloading your sword as you go. Juiced-up swords are the equivalent of firearms, and having to fight with a mundane sword is bringing a sword to a gunfight.
>>
>>44573358
Because it's animu, and the only swords they know about are katanas and longswords.
>>
>>44573315
>>44573251
>>44573386
Both the hilts and the blades have magical properties, letting you mix-and-match abilities on the fly to counter your opponent's strategy.
>>
>>44573397
They're not even katanas or longswords, though. They're more like giant boxcutters
>>
>>44570177

She's not riding the horse.
She is clearly the apex predator of the nightmare's unfortunate food web.

Much like the constrictors of the humid rainforests, the firecrotch will smother the life out of the beast before consuming it whole.
>>
>>44573477
>giant boxcutters
That explains it. Th artist looked at whatever they had on their desk and said 'What can I make a sword out of?'.
>>
>>44573064
Not really. He looks correct because you are still a fucking idiot who thinks pommels are hollow.
>>
>>44573064
Pommels are part of the balance of a sword, almost all swords had some form of balance and anyone who thinks pommels are hollow or only rapiers where properly balanced is a retard.
>>
>>44573397
But the 3d manuevering swords aren't even curved. They're single-edged straight swords.
>>
File: sots_tiedsword.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sots_tiedsword.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
>>44573403
>Hilts imbue things like flaming and air cutter
>Blades improve physical things like swing force, agility, and sharpness.

Mercy hilt: sissy option, or sign of a true man?
>>
>>44573529
It's a common part of the creative process, taking what we see around us and reimagining it.

>>44573403
I make a mock reference to swords being used like RPKs and it turns into anime. FML

Pick related.
>>
>>44573711
What the hell is a mercy hilt?
>>44573728
>FML
It is you who should be ashamed.
>>
>>44573748
When you tie the sheath to the hilt so you can't take it out, I think. That's more normally called a peace knot, though.

>>44573728
>It's a common part of the creative process, taking what we see around us and reimagining it.
Normally, when people want to into sword, they get a book on swords out of the library. Or, in more modern times, go on Wikipedia or Google and type in 'sword'.
>>
>>44573748
A hilt with a Mercy enchantment. It magically doesn't kill the things it hits.
>>
>>44573565
>>44573686
https://youtu.be/KfRdmGTL_Is
I never said that "only rapiers were properly balanced." But rather that rapiers made more extensive use of the counterbalancing effects of the hilt and pommel to bring the center of balance closer to the hand. Arming swords and other cut-and-thrust swords relied on having the center of balance further out to increase the wounding capacity of cuts.
Of course we're talking about differences of inches between vastly different types of swords which are optimized for different purposes.
>>
>>44573728
>Sword strikes are boosted by gunpowder
>Overuse damages hilt, needs to be replaced.

I'd be into this setting.
>>
>>44573686
But Anon, some pommels ARE hollow, and not all swords have pommels, notably katanas.
>>
>>44573846
>swords sometimes had hollow pommels
>all swords have hollow pommels

Not even him but are you literally braindead?
>>
>>44573891
Is the end of a katana even really a pommel? Teither way those things are all bladeheavy as fuck compared to most swords their size.
>>
>>44573800
>Or, in more modern times, go on Wikipedia or Google and type in 'sword'.
Dave Willis couldn't even be bothered to look up how clits and foreskin work.
>>44573803
Then it's the sign of someone who wants/needs to take the enemy alive. Perhaps a paladin who wants the evil to face the justice of law rather than mete out lethal justice himself, or a bounty hunter who needs to bring his quarry to his employer alive, or a cleric or monk who has sworn a non-lethal oath, or a rogue with qualms about killing guards that aren't obviously evil.
>>
>>44573846

>Not really, no. Most swords were hollow, and were not counterbalances. Some Rapiers had counterbalances, but most of the counterbalancing was done by the complex hilt

Your words anon.
>>
>>44571609
Can you please stat a dire saddle?
>>
>>44573954
You are not mistaken, but your post is pointless.
>>
>>44573972
Why would anyone not want one of those, then? You probably carry a dagger, anyway.
>>
>>44567911
why wouldnt they eat the horse
>>
File: Horodisgust.png (439KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
Horodisgust.png
439KB, 704x400px
>>44569066
>Most swords were hollow

But that's fucking wrong you retard.

1) Hollow things were hard as fuck to create
2) If you hit a hollow sword against something, it would fucking *SHATTER*. why? Because swords needed a hard crystalline structure on the outside to hold an edge (this was achieve through tempering) and a 'softer' non-crystalline structure on the inside to absorb force and stress.

Don't talk about subjects you don't even have fucking cursory knowledge about. Google isn't hard.
>>
File: 1428678101253.jpg (112KB, 700x844px) Image search: [Google]
1428678101253.jpg
112KB, 700x844px
>>44574912
>>
>>44569066
>Most swords were hollow
YOU FUCKING MORON REEEEEEEE
>>
>>44574738
Because it takes a hell of a lot of time and energy to process an animal that big with just a knife. Plus, even if they did, what're they gonna do with all that meat anyway? They sure as hell can't eat it all, and it's just not feasible to take it with them. There's not a whole lot of options.
>>
I hate to disappoint but cowboys are a product of Hollywood.
>>
>>44575138
>Hey, y'know this cool historical thing you're talking about?
>The one with a bunch of historical documentation to prove that it was totally a thing?
>Didn't happen. All movies.
>Am I cool yet guys? Guys? A-am I cool?
>>
>>44569066
>Most horses that could already be ridden had saddles.
WRONG AGAIN FUCKBUCKET.

Saddles were made for the rider, not for the horse, they were also a very time and labor intensive HIGHLY SKILLED CRAFT. They were expensive, they still ARE expensive, as of today people consider saddles that cost less than 500$USD to be not worth using as they are of poor quality.

A good saddle today will range upwards of 1000$ easily and that's simply because of reasons like 'comfort, safety and durability'. To put that into perspective, you can buy horses for around the same amount that you're going to spend on a saddle - as long as you're not looking for high pedigree 'performance' horses. The 'average' quarterhorse will cost somewhere around 1500 - 2500$ currently... so if you were to have a saddle (and blanket, and tack, and etc) for every horse, that's adding ~ another 40-75% on to the initial purchase price for each.

As far as fitting the saddle to the horse: You're wrong, unless it's a specialty breed like say a paso fino or for a special purpose (like racing, or combat). In general though, you put a blanket on the back of the horse, set your saddle upon its back, and cinch up the straps and fittings. Horses are bred for breed conformity, so a quarter horse is a quarter horse is a quarter horse (at least in the physical sense).

When your saddle cost can easily be as much as your horse, it's easier to say leave behind a horse that's dying and carry the saddle with you until you can purchase a new horse. Hell sometimes simply trading in your saddle could *get* you a new horse that you could ride bareback, or a new horse + a saddle.

Do you even understand the concept of solid assets? Something that should shit go wrong you can convert into money at a relatively consistent rate? It's part of why pimps wear so much jewelry in the modern day: If they're arrested cash is confiscated and they're not allowed to access banks, but they are allowed to pawn for bail.
>>
>>44575138
>>44575261
Cowboys were real, but the Man with No Name would make for some great folklore.
>>
>>44575042
He corrected himself literally three posts later, fuck off back to /r9k/, underage.
>>
>>44569066
>swords were hollow
what a dumbass : ^)
get better, shit for brains
>>
>>44570459
That's still completely incorrect.
>>
>>44575311

Inb4 "Saddles are underpowered in d20"
>>
>>44573529
Actually the boxcutter look is because the blades ARE supposed to snap off, because unlike real life swords, these things are being swung crazy fast and at giant targets, meaning they're almost assured to get stuck, and having your sword get stuck while flying through the air at 50 miles an hour would rip your arm apart.

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like the anime, but the swords actually do make sense to a degree. Even if using swords and spiderman bondage harnesses don't make any fucking sense, the idea of a "built to fail" sword that will break instead of get ripped out of your hand is at least consistent, if not logical.
>>
>>44575042
If you had any brain convolutions you would realize he meant pommels.
>>
>>44567911

My uncle does horseback archery.

His competition saddle cost as much as the new hatchback he just bought.
>>
>>44576614
damn you
>>
>>44579280
For that amount of money he could just buy a gun and a bunch of accessories instead.
>>
>>44579861
... but then he would still need a saddle.
>>
>>44574000
For which system ?
>>
>>44567911

Autism.txt
>>
>>44572770

Yeah, what are the odds?
>>
>>44567911
You know I always wondered why cowboys would carry the fucking saddles around even if they lost the horse. I guess it makes sense, that shit must've been expensive.

Do you suppose they made them out of horsehide? That'd be ironic.
>>
>>44581506
You could, but tanning is an industry unto its self. Hauling the safdle makes sense monetarily.
>>
>>44575311
>so a quarter horse is a quarter horse is a quarter horse
What if the name of that horse is mr. Ed?
>>
>>44567911
>This is a reminder that the most important part of your sword is the hilt. If you've ever traded one sword for another without considering which hilt to keep, you've spat in the face of all that is good.
You're a fucking idiot. The bindings/wrappings of the hilt and it's wooden core both wear out and must be replaced.

They are disposable.

Additionally, the wooden core of the hilt must fit the tang of the blade EXACTLY - the most common method is to heat the tang and use it to burn out the cavity in the grip.
>>
>>44573358
Not as easy to stamp out. They're big ol' box cutters, so they can just roll out a long strip of blade and then break them off to length.
It's the same concept behind how Hi-Point makes their barrels. They buy huge lengths of steel pipe in the appropriate diameter, then cut them to length and button rifle them. It's cheaper than producing each barrel individually.
>>
>>44583772
Makes me wonder why they dont put a bit of effort into a solud weapon though. Or better yet, bigger guns and pitfall traps at gates.
>>
>>44585568
>Makes me wonder why they dont put a bit of effort into a solud weapon though. Or better yet, bigger guns and pitfall traps at gates.
Why does the privilege of service in the Military Police inside Wall Sina go to the top 10 graduates? Why are the ones most suited to fighting and actually killing Titans the only ones who have the opportunity to not fight them at all?
The answer is that something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
>>
>>44567911

That's more because saddles are expensive and if you sit your ass in something all day, you want something familiar.

Sword furnishings are replacable and are a seperate item/skill set to make. They're also made for the sword specifically and don't transfer easily without modification unlike a saddle
>>
>>44585935
>They're also made for the sword specifically and don't transfer easily without modification unlike a saddle
Saddles can be made to fit a specific horse too. I agree with you in principle, but if you have a saddle made the horse will be measured etc to make sure it's not uncomfortable for them either.
Could have been different two hundred years ago though.
>>
>>44572772

And the sword is considered the blade portion, not the hilt. The sword does the killing while the handle is just the holdy-part.
>>
>>44568139
>Because it is heavy, and your next horse will already have a saddle?

AHAHAHA HOLY SHIT, CITY FOLKS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO POST ON 4CHAN

If you guys wait a few hours until I get home I can post a picture of my branding iron and answer questions about horses and cowboy culture.
>>
File: Kenichi Smith.png (133KB, 926x372px) Image search: [Google]
Kenichi Smith.png
133KB, 926x372px
>>44588932
>I can post a picture of my branding iron and answer questions about horses and cowboy culture.
Howdy Kenichi.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.