[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

More D&D than D&D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 19

File: image.jpg (66KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 736x414px
What games do "elves and wizards, kick down the door and slay the dragon, knights in shining armor" high fantasy better than D&D. I can find a game system that does just about anything else better than d20, except for this.

>inb4 WHFRPG

That's a great game and I really like it but it really feels like it's strongly tied to its setting.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 450x329px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 450x329px
Bamp
>>
Savage World in a fantasy setting in all honesty.

Dungeon World if you know how to DM well.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 640x466px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 640x466px
>>
>>44566927
AD&D

Seriously, this or a clone of this would be the best
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 640x779px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 640x779px
>>44566998
Both look interesting in a low rules semi-free form kinda way. Got any good stories?
>>
File: image.jpg (256KB, 940x1362px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256KB, 940x1362px
>>44567074
Ok, I'll check it out. Never really thought of going backwards, desu. Any good retro-clones you recommend?
>>
RuneQuest might be to your liking. The game system even has a generic version, unhelpfully called Legend (like at least two other games I know of).
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 640x744px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 640x744px
>>44567109
Interesting. Any idea where I can find more about Legend, off hand? 1d4chan is unhelpful.
>>
>>44566927
It must be said: Strike!

You were expecting GURPS, weren't you? Too bad!
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 640x802px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 640x802px
>>
File: image.jpg (157KB, 628x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157KB, 628x1000px
>>44567217
What are the good points of this? Not really impressed with what I'm seeing.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 640x853px
>>
>>44567108
Not that anon, but:

Dark Dungeons (I haven't checked out Darker Dungeons yet, which veers more heavily from the formula) is basically a reprint of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia. Nice starting point, I think, and the pdf is legally free.

Where to go from there though... Adventurer, Conqueror, King System has a good approach where they keep the old way of having sub-systems that are different, but only when it makes sense.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess get a lot of praise for its scenarios, but I haven't tried it out. I will this year, hopefully.

Dungeon Crawl Classics is another one I want to try out. It is supposedly "Fantasy Vietnam", where everything is out to get you and things are genuinely deadly.
>>
>>44567108
Not that guy, but AD&D hasn't been cloned very well. There are good clones of 0D&D (e.g. Swords and Wizardry) and B/X (e.g. Labyrinth Lord).
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 640x392px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 640x392px
Also image dump because why not
>>
>>44566927
>What games do "elves and wizards, kick down the door and slay the dragon, knights in shining armor" high fantasy better than D&D. I can find a game system that does just about anything else better than d20, except for this.
The Dark Eye
Greg Stolze's REIGN
Earthdawn
Rule of Cool's LEGEND
>>
>>44567281
Tactical combat with very good balance and muted fluff, easy to play, some good subsystems for resolving non-combat stuff and wealth.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 640x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 640x358px
>>44567385
>checks 1d4chan
>1 of 4 of those has an article
>it's pretty short

Man, what happened?
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 640x360px
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 640x360px
>>44567385
Anyone have any more info on any of these? Personal experiences?
>>
>>44567867
>Man, what happened?
What do you mean? 1d4chan was always more of a joke 40k site than anything else.
>>
>>44568115
I don't know. I've been out of touch for a while, I guess I just remember it being better. Nostalgia goggles? Do you know of any better generic /tg/ wiki?
>>
File: image.jpg (152KB, 600x755px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 600x755px
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 640x830px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 640x830px
>>
Fantasycraft?
>>
>>44566927
>That's a great game and I really like it but it really feels like it's strongly tied to its setting.

It works with just about any dark fantasy setting. Darkest Dungeon, for example.
>>
>>44568219
>I don't know. I've been out of touch for a while, I guess I just remember it being better.
Oh, it certainly didn't get better.
> Nostalgia goggles?
Maybe.
>Do you know of any better generic /tg/ wiki?
No. Unlike /g/ there are virtually no good traditional games places outside of 4chan.
>>
>>44566927
Take mutants and masterminds, add in the travel and weather rules from AD&D, make flight and speed more expensive. Give them a "device pool," free points for magic items they pick up so they can have one or two powerful magic items without spending points on them, start them at PL 5.
>>
>>44568480
This desu
>>
>>44567214

Sure.
Here's the official website:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/legend.html
Here's a forum for the game:
http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewforum.php?f=79
Here's a review I didn't read:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15759.phtml

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: a torrent of it
https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/8825193/Mongoose_Legend__amp__RuneQuest
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 571x625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 571x625px
>>44568699
Thanks senpai, this looks pretty cool.

Anyone have any experience with Reign? It sounds pretty cool.
>>
File: image.jpg (152KB, 736x1184px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 736x1184px
>>
>>44567385
>The Dark Eye
Jesus fuck
>>
>>44567337

This.

OSR games are typically more brute kick down the door style than D&D
>>
File: disgust.gif (83KB, 395x281px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.gif
83KB, 395x281px
>>44567108
>desu

but yeah AD&D
>>
>>44574637
Word filters.
>>
Dungeon World if you like rules-light and escalating action.

Fate Core if you like more narrative control in the player hands - even the 'sample campaign' in the book is two sword-wielders and a magician.

Strike if you liked what DnD4e tried to do but want the out-of-combat stuff to be loose.

Shadow of the Demon Lord if you want a better-balanced DnD5e with a Warhammer-ish bent to it and a fun class-path system.

13th Age if you want a mix of 3e/4e DnD with the setting set to MAXIMUM GONZO. Although the setting is really take it or leave it - you can use it as a generic high-powered DnD game. It's literally a DnD edition, right down to having two DnD writers making it.

Basically there's no reason to ever play DnD5e, because Shadow of the Demon Lord will do low-powered or 'gritty horror' better, and 13th Age will do high fantasy better.
>>
>>44568103
TDE is Germany's answer to D&D. That means it's even more convoluted, but at least well thought out.
Plus, an encounter with a normal, regular bear in the forest is a guaranteed TPK.

Legend takes an approach similar to 4e. The classes and combat mechanics are first and foremost but with everything else built around them to work with them.
If you like interesting combat and epic characters, this is the right system.

Reign excels in resolution of multiple actions and has great mechanics for groups, i.e. kingdoms, armies, mercenary bands, etc.
>>
>>44566927
What do you feel like D&D lacks? In other words, why are you looking for a D&D-like game that isn't D&D? And perhaps just as importantly, what core aspects of D&D do you want to preserve?

I will say that high fantasy can be a tough needle to thread because it's hard to keep the high level of magic from unbalancing things or destroying the integrity of the world. That's assuming that by "high fantasy", you mean high magic / very fantastical.
>>
>>44575689
Not really looking for anything in particular, just want to see new things (new to me, anyway).

As for that, I don't know, maybe high fantasy isn't quite the right word. Epic fantasy, maybe? I guess I was trying to specify Tolkien-esq fantasy or something like that. Because technically WoD and Star Wars and Shadowrun are fantasy. It's just a really broad term.
>>
>>44576121
Barbarians of Lemuria is pretty darn cool, if you're okay with something that's light on crunch and which goes for more of a swords & sorcery, ancient feel.

The RuneQuest / BRP family (which includes such things as Call of Cthulhu and Stormbringer) has an interesting, skill-based approach to things. RQ, itself, can be crunchier than I want it to be (separate hit points for each hit location, etc.), though there are lots of editions and spin-offs, and I can't pretend to be familiar with all of them. BRP is simplified compared to RQ, and my understanding is that OpenQuest tends to be simplified compared to that. I did prefer Stormbringer to the few editions of RQ I'm familiar with, as it's more stripped down, though obviously it's firmly based in Elric's world (it bears mentioning that Magic World is supposed to be Stormbringer minus the setting).
>>
>>44567108
For AD&D, your clones are OSRIC (1e) and For Gold & Glory (2e). Both are free in PDF format, and cheap in print.
>>
>>44566927
13th Age is the best D20 other than Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
>>
>>44576306
You need to have a look at Runequest 6.
>>
>>44576715
Legend.
Fantasy Craft.
>>
>>44567074
>>44567108
If you really want to get in touch with old school D&D, Moldvay Basic (B/X) is probably your best bet. I mean, Original D&D is obviously more old school, but it's barely coherent at times.* Basic cleans stuff up a decent bit and doesn't have all the excess clutter that AD&D does. Don't get me wrong, AD&D also has additional options, which can be very nice, but most of the stuff it adds are fiddly rules and restrictions that do little to enhance play (and many of the additional options--more classes, for instance--are either highly derivative or not constructed as well as the basic stuff).

And one advantage to Moldvay Basic, is that it's a grand total of 128 pages for everything, including monsters and treasure. And the Basic Set, the part that covers levels 1-3, is only half of that, and that's all you need to get started. So what I'm saying is that you can learn Basic in a small fraction of the time it would take to learn AD&D.

Of course, all the old school stuff can be kind of kludgy (which makes sense, because it all uses the same core system, just with varying levels of detail added on top), with weirdly idiosyncratic subsystems. Still, as has been recently discussed in the OSR thread, a lot of this kludge was there for good reason, even if it was implemented in an ad hoc manner. But even if you don't end up playing it, becoming familiar with Basic has a certain amount of historical importance, and since the way early D&D worked informed later editions, this can grant insight into more modern stuff.

*Swords & Wizardry White Box does an excellent job of polishing up brass tacks OD&D though. It does, however, tweak some things in the process, so it's not as true to OD&D as, say, Labyrinth Lord is to Moldvay Basic.
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 351x440px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 351x440px
>>44576883
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.