[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/WFRP/ - The General X: The Quest for IX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 18

File: wfrp2ed.jpg (14KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
wfrp2ed.jpg
14KB, 197x256px
Warhammer Fantasy Role Play General thread, open for all discussion of the Warhammer setting and how it relates to the roleplaying games.

Let's keep it civil. Remember - when it comes to your own games, the right answer is whatever works best for you and your group.

>Previous threads
>>44345924
>>44404352
>>44433485
>>44486159

>I don't have the books for 2nd Ed.
http://khorne.ru/2nd/wfrp_web/

>How does career advancement actually work in 2nd edition?
http://i.imgur.com/8qoQOUl.png
http://i.imgur.com/dOOfPa2.png
http://i.imgur.com/jJN6PT9.jpg

>Maps of the old world?
http://i.imgur.com/COthNjY.jpg
http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html

>Good sites for extra resources?
http://www.kalevalahammer.com/p/page4.html
http://www.liberfanatica.net/
http://www.madalfred.com/
http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/
http://www.windsofchaos.com/

>I don't know much about Warhammer, how can I get started?
Have a read of this:
http://www.snotling.org/data/_uploaded/media/WFRP_Information_Booklet.pdf

>Gimme fear, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire
>All editions
https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!NABgmKZJ

>Anon's Skaven-Friend Story
http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3n/1451548273992.rtf

Outstanding questions:
>Are you waiting for the hammer to fall? How does Ghal Maraz factor in your setting?
>We're on a mission from God - Messages from the lords of Chaos and the powers that be. Good idea or na?
>Villains and Protaganists - What makes a good recurring enemy for WFRP?
>>
File: 1450909546255.png (107KB, 1700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1450909546255.png
107KB, 1700x800px
Anyone hosting any games via skype ? I'm dying to play and roll20 is a shit.
>>
B-B-bump
>>
Task for the group:

Post your favourite WFRP character that you've played and some of your favourite memories of playing them.
>>
>>44514215
Year long merchant campaign that ended with my now decrepit captain of industry surrounded by family in the now ancestral manor in Altdorf.
>>
>>44516562
Noice.
>>
>>44516562

Care to share more details about the game?

My last WFRP campaign was about the relationship that developed between a daemon bound in a suit of ancient armour and a veteran soldier who was fighting the war against Chaos on the frontline.
>>
>>44514215
>>44514299

Bump. I've never played online before, but it's been so long since I've played RL that I'm starting to consider it.

How do people find playing online compares to in person?
>>
File: Dwarves On Age.png (84KB, 436x153px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves On Age.png
84KB, 436x153px
Bumping with the wisdom of the Dwarves.

/tg/, why don't you realise that you're wasting your lives throwing them away on adventure when you could live to be 300?
>>
File: Dwarves On Honour.png (52KB, 442x109px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves On Honour.png
52KB, 442x109px
>>44520760
Is it because you are blind to your honour and duty to your clan?
>>
File: Dwarves On Skill.png (87KB, 439x155px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves On Skill.png
87KB, 439x155px
>>44521233
Is it because you don't care that WFRP generals are getting thrown off the board by questfags, and our reputation is in tatters, with others joking about acronyms instead of praising us as the hallowed 'best thread on /tg/'? Are you not ashamed that you lack the skill to make a decent thread?
>>
File: Dwarves On Tradition.png (63KB, 438x118px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves On Tradition.png
63KB, 438x118px
>>44522018
Do you not care for your ancestors, for the generals passed and the great Ancestor Gods Halliwell, Priestley, Davis, Gallagher and Bambra?
>>
File: Dwarves On Wealth.png (73KB, 439x138px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarves On Wealth.png
73KB, 439x138px
>>44523199
You are not worth a clipped human penny, /tg/. The death of this general will be entered into the Book of Grudges next to your name.
>>
Who ever was interested in Khuresh, found another line in Monstrous Arcanum.

>Beyond these comparably few and well-known examples there ranges an unknown and unknowable legion of terrors whose names and natures are to most no more than legend and myth, whether bloody or glorious, from the fiery Arcane Phoenix so honored by the Elf-kin of Ulthuan, to the great thunder-lizards at whose foot-stamp the earth trembles on Lustria's far, forlorn shores to the frightful serpent-Naga of dim Khuresh whose lives are said to be counted as the ages of the world, and whose appetite for blood shames even the ancient queens of thrice-cursed Lhamia.
>>
File: Blood On, Blood Out.jpg (95KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
Blood On, Blood Out.jpg
95KB, 600x338px
Bump with Greatswords. Have your characters ever interacted with army units, or even actually hired mercenaries (instead of being hired as them)?
>>
>>44525024
Hiring mercenaries? Sounds like a pretty high-flown thing to do.
>>
>>44525024
I've met a Greatsword that was enslaved aboard a Dark Elf corsair ship. I've met the Reiksguard and I've offered mercenaries for hire quite a lot for the groups I've GM'd for. Not necessarily whole units of them, but men who specifically look, fight and work as mercenaries.
>>
>>44527129
I imagine most players can't hire units of mercs (and even if they wanted to, they're rarely in jobs to do it efficiently). But it's so satisfying for your character to reach the point where you can plunk down some gelt and get some meat shields of your own. Best gold you'll ever spend.
>>
>>44528173
That's the thing about being a professional pirate. Hire a crew, capture a ship, split up the prize money, go back to port and do it all over again. It doesn't always work out, but as long as you're not dead you can try again.
>>
>>44528211

Wasn't there a pirate who never got to the 'capture a ship' stage? He just kept hiring a crew and getting them all killed/press-ganged/arrested in the pub before they got to his ship?
>>
>>44519060
>relationship between...daemon...suit of...armour...and a...soldier...fighting...Chaos

I think I've read that.
>>
>tfw no WHFB-thread up
I wanted to shitpost about nagash ;_;
>>
>>44525024
My GM played us through Shadows of the Horned Rat a few years back. Turned into Micro-Managing: The Game. Had fun, but holy fuck there's a lot of things to consider when you're running a mercenary company.
>>
>>44529061
Go for it, Anon.

It'll make you feel better. We all hate Nagash here anyway. Don't cry.
>>
>>44529075
Yep. Lots of micromanaging when it comes to dealing with more than a single companion. You need to worry about gear, payment, morale, if they're going to stab you in the back or not. It works best when everyone's just settling in, or people are eating since not everyone is paying attention. At worst, it brings the game to a screeching halt where you may as well have this all on a spreadsheet.

>>44529093
Speak for yourself. Nagash is a bad motherfucker and the book series on him was great. The Time of Legends one, not the End Times.
>>
>>44529127
>At worst, it brings the game to a screeching halt where you may as well have this all on a spreadsheet.

We thought we'd be playing as the Captains. We ended up playing as the accountants. And honestly, it was fun as fuck. We were in there for about two sessions before we decided as a group that we were going to rip off the company as much as possible before making a runner with the money.
>>
>>44528967
>>44519060

If Anon. comes back, I want to hear more about this.

>>44514749

My favourite characters were actually based on me and my partner at the time. Yeah, it was corny as fuck, but we were young and in love. We both played WFRP and ended up playing a game about our characters eloping and being on the run from a noble house.
>>
File: Did Someone Say Manflesh.jpg (227KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Did Someone Say Manflesh.jpg
227KB, 1200x1600px
>>44528661
You mean in WH or real life? Sounds funny either way.
>>
>>44519880
It's okay. Not as fun as IRL but I'd be down to play. So long as I'm not dming. Forever Dms just wanna play too!
>>
File: shilling.png (67KB, 191x188px) Image search: [Google]
shilling.png
67KB, 191x188px
What the best way to go about converting WFRP to a silver standard? It doesn't feel very Grim and Perilous to be slinging gold coins about like nobody's business. And coppers aren't even worth bending down to pick up.

Unfortunately the old D&D standby of merely shifting the currency down a notch doesn't work so well, due to the nondecimal system.
>>
>>44530045
http://www.chumley.co.uk/wfrp/wfrppricelist.pdf

Something to keep in mind is the that poor quality goods are half the listed price. As a standard, those are the prices and services I tend to offer players unless they deliberately go looking for something better.

As far as converting to a silver standard...I suppose the easiest way would be to just do a name change, but if you wanted an accurate conversion...let's have a look.

1 Gold Crown = 20 Silver Shillings
1 Silver Shilling = 12 Brass Pennies

So 1 Gold Crown = 240 Pennies.

So, let's do some crunching. Essentially you're issue is a flavour one. The idea that gold is all over the place and people trade it regularly. So, the easiest way to fix that is to change the balance.

Instead of 240 d units equaling 1 GC unit, we need to make it roughly equivalent to 1 -/- unit.

The best way to do that would probably be to insert another coin value in there. I'd suggest a Farthing (equally to 1/4 of a penny).

So

1 Gold Crown (GC) = 20 Silver Shillings (-/-)
1 Silver Shilling (-/-) = 12 Brass Pennies (d)
1 Brass Pennie (d) = 4 Copper Farthings (f)

So 1 Gold Crown should be equal to 960 Copper Farthings, and 1 Shilling is worth 48 Farthings.

So I guess...fuck I'm drunk and I've lost my train of thought.

tl;dr - Add in Farthings at a 1 to 4 ratio and scale everything back to them as a base unit.

So 1 GC = 20 -/- = 240d = 960f

If you scale down one step to a Farthing base, something that costs 1 GC (240d) would trade down to 5/- (240f). As long as you scale down the rewards, everything should still balance and keep the mood of the setting.
>>
>>44530950

You butchered typing that up, but I think I can interpret.

In WFRP, with a Gold Standard, 1 Gold Crown breaks down to 240 Brass Pennies. This is the lowest denomination in the currency, so we'll use these as our base unit.

1 GC = 240d.

Think of everything in that sort of ratio. Something that is worth 1 GC is worth 240 of the base unit. We'll abbreviate that to BU for simplicity.

What Anon is suggesting is adding in a new, lower denomination and setting that as the BU.

In this case, a Copper Farthing - worth 1/4th of a Brass Penny.

So 1 GC = 20 -/- = 240d = 960f.

So something that is worth 240 BU goes from being 1 GC (240d) to being 240f.

240f converts up to about 5 Shillings. So something worth 1GC in the old currency is worth 5/- in the new, but still the same value.

For comparison, something worth 1 GC in the new system would be worth 4 GC in the old system.

If that's not enough for you're needs, you can probably throw in Half and Quarter Farthings as well to round down the units.
>>
>>44531132
>If that's not enough for you're needs, you can probably throw in Half and Quarter Farthings as well to round down the units.

Fuck it, I'm basically bored, might as well crunch this out as well.

1 GC = 20 Shillings = 240 Pennies = 960 farthings = 1920 Half Farthings = 7680 Quarter Farthings.

So the 240 BU goes from being 1 GC standard to 15d.

This maaaay be a little too far in the wrong direction, so let's scrap Quarter Farthings.

1 GC = 20 Shillings = 240 Pennies = 960 farthings = 1920 Half Farthings

So the 240 BU goes from being 1 GC standard to 30d, or 2/6 Shillings.

Does that suit your silver standard goal better?

To give you an idea, in THIS version of the currency, something worth 1 GC would be worth 8 GC in the old system.

That's probably a better handle for going from a Gold to a Silver standard.
>>
>>44531266

If you add this to the price lists for >>44530950

Then you get examples like:

536 GC 4/1 for a FULL SUIT OF FUCKING PLATE ARMOUR, becomes a bit more believable 67 GC -/6. Still a shitload in balance, but it sounds a bit more rational.

AND LET'S NOT EVEN GET STARTED ON THE VALUE OF GOLD BY OUNCE AND HOW MUCH IS IN A FUCKING GC.
>>
>>44529633

I think he was talking about some guys Mordheim warband.
>>
File: crown2.png (75KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
crown2.png
75KB, 180x180px
>>44531266
See, I was just going to divide all the prices by 10 or so (8 is probably cleaner).
Problem is, of course, that it's a pain in the arse to calculate. I've been messing with a spreadsheet but I've got a hell of a cold, so concentrating on it long enough to figure out a proper formula is beyond me.

>>44531503
>>44530950
Yeah, that price list is great but if anything it goes in the opposite direction to what I'm aiming for (42GC for a quilted gambeson?)
>>
File: FarthingConversionFormulae.png (41KB, 1307x509px) Image search: [Google]
FarthingConversionFormulae.png
41KB, 1307x509px
>>44532654
I've got one written up. Took me about 5 minutes to write up a spreadsheet that converts from original cost to Half Farthing costs.
>>
is there an equivalent to a WFRP 2.5E? I know about zweihander but it's in beta.
>>
>>44533836

Ah, forgot to get the cell numbers in.

For reference, top left cell is A17.

This formulae will allow you to put in the value or cost of any item from the armoury in the classic Crown/Shilling/Penny format and then automatically convert it to the same valuation if you down factor it with Farthings and Half Farthings.
>>
>>44532654
>>44533836

Using the formulae and the price lists, that 42gc 15/- Quilted Gambeson comes down to 5gc 8/1 2f. Does that suit your aims closer?

Additionally, keep in mind that income would have to be similarly accounted for so:

An unguilded prostitute would earn 3/9 a month.

A labourer would earn 4/2.

A night in a private, single bed room would be 2/11 2f 1hf.

How's that sit with you?
>>
>>44512852
Has anyone ever homebrewed a Battle Wizard career for any of the editions? Slightly new to the system and noticed that it doesnt really seem to be supported by the rules, but is a concept supported by the fluff?
>>
>>44534978

Most people just throw in the Soldier career at some stage in there and allow people to exit into any of the Soldier exits even from their wizard career.
>>
File: 1450935093603.gif (257KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1450935093603.gif
257KB, 500x500px
How fast and brutal is this? I remember seeing WHFRP being suggested for a darkest dungeon themed game seeing as it has all the rules for the gear and similar themes but i want my players to make a character quickly be able to roll up a new one quickly, mid session even
>>
>>44535167

If you're not worried about backstory, you can roll up a character in a few minutes - not even. Characters can be entirely randomly generated, so you can pour them out real fast if you need to.

As far as brutality/lethality - it depends on if you keep Fate points in the game. Take them out and expect characters to die regularly.
>>
>>44535284
That sounds good, ill probably reward fate points for heroics so characters the character they get attatched to for being badasses live up to their badass status when dice rolls dont go their way
>>
>>44535284
Also theres like fifty books on the mega, Obviously the rulebook is essential but do the other books have classes in them or something?
>>
>>44535399
Mostly just background material. Some option rules and shit. Some new careers for different specialties, but nothing that's strictly necessary.

If you want a minimal download, you can probably get away with just the core. Add Realms of Sorcery if you want more wizards, Armoury if you want more gear options.
>>
>>44512852
Well, I did it. I finally made my way out of Averland and into the Rike.

I'm a simple hedge mage looking to apply to one of the collages.

So the question remains...which order should I join ? I like having a good mix of in combat and out of combat skills...heaven lore seems nice...or maybe gold lore...any tips ?
>>
>>44535621

Think about your future. What do you want to do for a living?

Do you want to spend your time following around armies, working as magical muscle for noble lords and ladies?

Do you want to get rich and live the high life as a member of the new aristocracy?

Or are you seeking hidden secrets? Trying to learn things man was not meant to know?

What does magic mean to you?
>>
>>44535167
Assuming we're talking 2e... very fast to pick up, moderately fast to play, not really very brutal at all.
>>
>>44536173
But theres 3e in the mega, is 3e not very good?
>>
>>44536173
>not really very brutal at all.
>characters can die in a single hit from combat
>has a function built into the game to stop this from happening
>>
>>44536370
3e changed the core mechanics of game play which had a surprisingly strong trickle down impact on the feel of the game. There's nothing wrong with it, but the way they handle finances, the inclusion of a dice pool system and the boon/bane mechanic, a lot of people argue it robs some of the agency from players and GM and has a stronger feel towards a boardgame as a consequence.
>>
>>44535369

Question for the Group:

Fate - Earned or Deserved? How hard should it be to get them? How often should they spend them?
>>
>>44537102
Both, but leaning heavily towards Earned. I won't award them willy nilly, but if the group finishes a campaign then I think a Fate Point is a good standard reward. Not after every quest or adventure, unless they did some really cool shit, but after a campaign. Keep in mind that a campaign can run for months, or even in the range of a year or more.
>>
File: 1438266569891.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1438266569891.webm
3MB, 852x480px
How does /tg/ feel about this?
>>
>>44537353
I'm hopeful, but I don't know why Karl Franz is leading Talabecland troops when he starts in Reikland. I know that Reikland uniforms are garbage and Talabecland has almost always been used for promotional material, but still. You're going to run into Talabecland and have the same uniforms, unless they change it at the last minute.
>>
I don't know a lot about Warhammer but Is there anything more to Beastmen than DUDE CHAOS LMAO?
>>
>>44539180
Well, they are children of chaos. With that question you sound like a tard who ate his lil fetus brother when he was in his moms tummy
>>
>>44529886
i want to play too!
>>
>>44537353
Wide eyed optimism. Because I am a glutton for punishment.

>>44539180
If you're curious, have a read of the Beastmen army book.

Separate from Chaos, Beastmen are very much a horde-like tribal community. Might makes right sort of thing. They have a 'Hairy Orc' feel to them. There's more to it than that, but at a glance that's the thought.

>>44529494
Do people want to hear the story of the soldier and his daemon armour?
>>
>>44539246
>>44539180

Did you just samefag yourself to try and start a argument?
>>
File: Venezia_Ducato_1400.jpg (109KB, 750x359px) Image search: [Google]
Venezia_Ducato_1400.jpg
109KB, 750x359px
>>44531503
>AND LET'S NOT EVEN GET STARTED ON THE VALUE OF GOLD BY OUNCE AND HOW MUCH IS IN A FUCKING GC.

Speaking of, how big are the coins?

I always treat the Crown and other imperial coinage as large and well-adulterated (quarter to loonie size, for my Canadian bros). However, when the players go north to Marienburg, south to Tilea, or anywhere else there is a lot of merchants, they find sequin-sized coins of almost perfectly pure gold (modeled after the Venetian ducat) that are more convenient for these traders.

People check the coins on a balance, especially when the PCs are involved (a bunch of rough-looking travellers get a second look) but I haven't ever made their coins duds.
>>
>>44534978
>is a concept supported by the fluff?

Explicitly not, actually. Realms of Sorcery, pg. 68

>In WFRP, becoming a Battle Wizard for the Empire is far beyond the reach of the typical character. They are capable of wielding incredible power and command great respect in the Empire. And so, there is no Battle Wizard career. Should you wish to develop a Battle Wizard career and spell list, feel free, but realise that the life of these characters are exceptionally short and unpleasant.

Climbing up the ranks to Wizard Lord, you'll get plenty of people who want to hire you, and probably use you for battle, but you're not going to be a WFB-scale engine of magical destruction.
>>
>>44535399
If you just want to go with the minimum, get the core book (which has the rules) and the Career Compendium, which has almost all of the careers ever released, excluding a few oddballs like Chaos Champion and the Skaven one. Also get the Career paths supplement, because FFG is shit at editing and a lot of the Career Compendium classes don't have the correct entrances/exits

If someone rolls a priest or wizard, offer the alternate spell lists in Tome of Salvation/Realms of Sorcery, but it's not required. The books are great background but not necessary for additional rules.
>>
>>44537353
optimist, but I'm reserving the money until we get to see everything.
>>
>>44542113
>WFB-scale engine of magical destruction.
>>44534978

If you want to get to those heady levels, look at the 1ed spell list.

Because holy fuck.

>>44542081

I think these details are actually covered in The Old World Armoury.
>>
File: 11421993-large[1].jpg (102KB, 618x416px) Image search: [Google]
11421993-large[1].jpg
102KB, 618x416px
>you open a chest to find pic related
>wat do?
>>
>>44542470

Melt down the silver until it's a single lump so as to avoid the fuzz.

Sell to a jeweler.
>>
>>44512852

>player wants to play a beastman

What do??
>>
>>44542704

In a Chaos campaign? No problem.

In a regular campaign? Would they be amiable to playing a human devolving into some sort of beastman via mutation?

If not...maybe some sort of adoption scenario? People adopted a baby beastmen before they realised what it was and now don't have the heart to kill it?
>>
http://grimandperilous.com/
>>
>>44542704
Tell him to stop being such a faggot and respect the rules of the setting. Human, Dwarf, Halfling, sometimes Elf. It's the same bullshit as that one guy trying to play an illithid in D&D.
>>
File: It's My Time.png (147KB, 286x267px) Image search: [Google]
It's My Time.png
147KB, 286x267px
>>44542470
Glue them back together into coins. Spend at street vendors and move off fast before they see the seams.
>>
>>44543239
This.
>>
File: A Bad Day For k.webm (2MB, 1024x554px) Image search: [Google]
A Bad Day For k.webm
2MB, 1024x554px
Is this possible in WFRP?
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.