[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey. Hey /tg/ What class/race combo would work best for an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: Smough_Concept.jpg (503KB, 1280x967px) Image search: [Google]
Smough_Concept.jpg
503KB, 1280x967px
Hey.

Hey /tg/

What class/race combo would work best for an increasingly unstoppable armored juggernaut character in 4e?

Preferably martial, but I'll take whatever.
>>
>>34013914
Revenant / Battlemind

20 Con starting, access to feats from another race of your choice, only getting staggered when you're knocked below zero.
>>
I'm really partial to Minotaur / Warden. It's an appropriate combo, and Wardens are the definition of hella sturdy.
>>
You'd better be dual wielding shields. Add a blade to them if you must.
>>
>>34013968
Battleminds aren't that unstoppable. They're a mobile defender with a bunch of harrying abilities.

Warden is probably what OP is looking for. Minotaur if your GM will allow it, Goliath if he won't.
>>
File: giantknight.png (275KB, 322x672px) Image search: [Google]
giantknight.png
275KB, 322x672px
Why are Wardens so tough? I mostly ignored the primal classes before.

And thanks a ton for the advice already given.
>>
>>34014131
>Why are Wardens so tough?
STRENGTH OF THE EARTH, EMPOWER ME!
>>
Revenant + Belt of Sonnlinnor Righteousness. Class isn't that important but Fighter or Warden are probably the best.
>>
>>34014088
I admit, I might just have a soft spot for unnatural vitality and the fact that with battlemind you can just stack Con and not worry about anything else, but all the death saving throw bonuses you can stack up if you try effectively makes you have three bloodied values worth of HP instead of two.

Take battle resilience (I know it's a garbage option but it's still extra mitigation) and you're pretty hard to ever actually put down until your DM gets fed up and decides to throw one of those 'instakill below 0 HP ' monsters at you.
>>
Alright, so looking at it, apparently Wardens don't use heavy armor, which is kinda a problem for me. I'm a big fan of plate. It really enhances the juggernaut image.
>>
Why not just be a paladin?

You can be a divine juggernaut that way.

Hell, you can even dump Strength.

Chaladins are the boss.
>>
>>34014384
Also, paladins become really unstoppable at paragon because of the Honored Foe feat.
>>
File: Berenike_Knight_Concept.jpg (259KB, 1246x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Berenike_Knight_Concept.jpg
259KB, 1246x1280px
>>34014384
Paladin could work, I have basically three things I'm looking for here.

I want to be an:

Unstoppable
-Tough as hell, hits decently hard, really hard to keep down
Armored
-obvious
Juggernaut
-Slow is fine, but once I get going I don't stop

Anything that fulfills those criteria is fine. Basically, I want to a slow force of destructive, unkillable nature. At epic levels, obviously, I hardly expect to be unstoppable at first level.

Really, I suppose the best examples I can use are Smough from Dark Souls or the Tower Knight (but less huge) from Demon Souls.

Maybe a Heavy Knight of Berenike as Heroic or Paragon level.

I'm also pretty new to the system, hence the questions. I know a lot of the material, but I don't really know how it works.
>>
>>34014536
Dude, just be a fighter. You'll have a blast.
>>
>>34014536
Fighter, paladin, or battlemind.

Take your pick.

What level are you starting at anyway?
>>
Revenant with Warforged past life and the Defender class of choice. Personally I like Battlerage Vigor Fighters.
>>
>>34014131
Highest starting HP of any class and they do amazing things when they second wind meaning they are self healing every fight.
>>34014337
It depends on your goal. Do you want to be tough as hell and do lots of damage or be tough as hell, defend your friends and do some damage.

Fighters can fit both depending on the build but don't start with Plate. Paladins and Knights start with Plate but aren't as damage-y. The anti-paladin (that's not its name but I can't remember it.) From Heroes of Shadow is a Striker in Plate and one build uses temp HP too. That could work. There is also the Slayer who is a Striker in Scale. The Slayer being a fighter variant so it gets access to the Dreadnaught PP which sounds 100% up your alley.
>>
>>34013914
Dwarf/Mul/Goliath/Minotaur Fighter (Battlerager build) would probably suit your purposes.
>>
>>34014620
5th, and it does look like fighter is what I want. Plate is a feat away, I suppose.

>>34014670
The former. Defending people is good, but my only other confirmed party member is a Bloodwhatsit Barbarian, so I'm not super concerned about his survivability.

>>34014657
They're big on temp HP with a side of striker, right?
>>
>>34014657

Battlerage Vigor fighters have obscene amounts of THP generation. It's just silly.
>>
>>34014710
I'd look into a Wis/Cha paladin, really.

Constitution doesn't give you THAT much more durability, but a Wis/Cha paladin gets to Lay on Hands himself like a motherfucker.

You can be a hamadryad too for resist 5/10/15 for a round each encounter.

Then take Ironwrought so you can be a literal metal treedude.
>>
>>34014836
What book is that from? Because I've never heard of any of that.
>>
>>34014710
Yeah, you can get crazy amounts of temp hp with one. I played one once and was generating so many temp hp, that he almost never needed heals. He was fun as hell to play.
>>
>>34015006
There was a fey-focused book for 4e, I believe hamadryad was introduced in that. Really, if you're gonna be playing a lot of 4e, you probably want to just shell out for the Dndi subscription, as long as it's available.
>>
>>34014836
>>34015006
Hamadryads are from Heroes of the Feywild but they are general locked female as a counter to the male locked saytar.
>>
>>34015088
Gender* seriously fuck auto correct.
>>
>>34015088
Well, I can probably get that lifted due to being dumb. My DM is nice like that. Being a walking, angry tree person would be pretty sweet.

So, Fighter for pure fuck off armored might, Paladin for healing glory.
>>
>>34015150
In terms of race, I strongly encourage you to be a revenant if you have any chance of picking up this magic item: >>34014224

It's an insane combo.
>>
>>34015150
Most paladins self-heal with Lay on Hands. It's the practical thing to do. It takes minor actions anyway, so you can keep on trucking.

>>34015278
The revenant combo is totally not viable at heroic and OP's game is probably going to disintegrate before hitting paragon anyway.
>>
>>34015416
Revenants are pretty durable as-is.
>>
>>34015278
Just remember to explain to your DM that if you have a way to remove Dazed, i.e. Superior Will, at Epic you will have 1 standard, 2 move, and 3 minor actions per turn, Resist 20 all, and Insubstantial (take half damage).
>>
>>34015434
Not really, unless you dump feats into it.

You'd be surprised how feat tax heroic-tier characters are.
>>
>>34013914
Go Revenant. With the right mix of Feats, PP and ED, and the right past life, you can function without penalty while dying, get a plus 8 or more bonus to death saving throws, have to make 5 death saving throws before you die, and get +2 to all defenses every time you make a death saving throw.

You should have died 8 rounds ago, and yet all you're doing is getting tougher.
>>
>>34015580
Also, you take half damage, and get some pretty good DR on top of that.
>>
So Revenant Fighter or Paladin.

Wow, I really am the Chosen Undead!
>>
Oh, damn it, when I looked up Dyrad I got
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dryad_%284e_Race%29

Cursed nice looking homebrew material.
>>
>>34013914
Fighter.
>>
Do you lot think I could get away with being a Battlerager Fighter with Heavy Armor? I'm giving up +1 to hit without getting damage in return.
>>
So if I were to play a warden, what paragon path should I take to maximize my durability, assuming I'm limited to the PHB 1 and 2?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.