[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does american soccer fans try to act european? The way the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: 1452741586596.gif (1MB, 350x240px) Image search: [Google]
1452741586596.gif
1MB, 350x240px
Why does american soccer fans try to act european? The way the MLS is structured makes it seem like a compromise between "REAL FOOTBALL" and the traditional american way of doing things. The way some of those teams are named is intentionally done to mimic europeans. Even in the fans, whether it's MLS or the US Mutant Ninja Turtles, they encourage scarves, songs, and banners. The entire getup is made to feel european-ish, even though it never goes far enough to be actually european.

But why bother?

It's not like europeans would act all american if they started caring about our sports. They're going to do everything in a completely european way even if its origin was an american-exported sport. So why should we bother pretending to do the same when adopting some other sport? It seems really stupid for americans to be doing anything other than in an american-style way, and even more stupid if the reason is something like "well europeans started it first so we just copied them, it makes it feel more legitimate".

Whether or not it works is besides the point, I just really don't get why it's even a thing people are trying to do.
>>
It might be fun to see what would happen if you did a jet flyover in some of those countries though. I think it might legitimately cause some people to flip the fuck out depending on the place.
>>
>>65040576
this is such a retarded argument, it's not the european way it's literally the way every other league in the world is structured

at most there's timing differences or liguillas, but the basic structure is the same, none of this draft and salary cap bullshit
>>
The crowd is very Americanised at the Wembley games, I know a lot of Americans go though.

It may be because we dont have a team yet so we haven't been able to take on a team identity so we just use the American chants that we know.
>>
>>65040576
>why does fans
>>
We don't give a crud
>>
>>65040576
>I just really don't get why it's even a thing people are trying to do.

Soccer is viewed as a foreign sport. One of the rules of shaping a public perception is to turn a negative into a positive.

When the MLS started they thought that the Latino community would carry the league. They adopted Latin cheers, garish colors, got old latin players on loan, etc.

The problem? Mexicans in the USA didnt have the purchasing power to keep the league afloat or just rather followed their own home country teams.

So instead of fold they rebranded.

Firstly they became a Stadium Management Company that also owned a sports league, not the other way around. They pushed for 'soccer specific' stadiums that were owned by the teams. Now they didnt need anyone in the seats as the stadiums themselves made the teams money by booking concerts and other events.

Next they decided to rebrand the teams as European, attempting to tap into the nostalgia of upper-middle class 20 and 30s kids who remember fondly their foreign study abroad or trips to Europe. This also appealed to beta males and women who weren't watching the sport because they played it in the past but because of the atmosphere.

Linking to Euro clubs also makes sure the league appeals primarily to whites.

The owner of Sporting KC is the owner of Cerner. He makes it quasi-mandatory to buy tickets and follow the team (if you want to be promoted)
>>
because the only people who take soccer 100$ seriously are hipster euroboos, so the teams cater to them and they in turn try and emulate euro fans so they can get hipster cred

>its european, you wouldnt understand

besides, they tried an american soccer league for american sports fans and that shit failed so hard
>>
>>65040576
That's how MLS originally tried to do things, and cater to the whole "soccer mom/family friendly sporting event" that is in NFL, MLB, NBA etc. It wasn't doing the league any favors then, so they let the fans build their own atmosphere.
>>
how the hell do you "act" european?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJI0ENzjIlQ
>>
File: FIGHT!.png (243KB, 564x389px) Image search: [Google]
FIGHT!.png
243KB, 564x389px
FFFFIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTT
>>
>>65041964
>Latin cheers
>old latin players
Latin?
>>
>Goal is scored
>stadium throws their cowboy hats in yhe air
>yeehaw resonates throughout the arena
>a cheerleader rides around the field on horseback carrying the American flag
>fireworks go off as the player runs past celebrating his goal.

This is how I'd envision MLS as commissioner
>>
>>65042713
PUGNAM ET VINCERE
>>
File: 1446040505787.gif (460KB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
1446040505787.gif
460KB, 352x240px
>>65040576
>Why does american soccer fans try to act european?

You mean to ask the following

>why do faggots from the west and east coast like to pretend to be european?

It's because they're faggots who are as gay as the "sport" they follow.
>>
>>65042209
American Audiences chant, European Audiences sing
American Audiences don't know what to do unless there's more than 1 break in a game
>how do i get another pie
European Audiences are in unison with one another, look at Borussia Dortmund's 'wall' one of the most phenomenal things in sports.
The point is, American sports are spectator sports, they make it entertaining for the fans, whilst Europeans make the sport entertaining for the players.
>>
Faggot hipsters and undercover FO employees started emulating European sports culture and it spiraled out of control from there.
>>
>>65042747
>The point is, American sports are spectator sports, they make it entertaining for the fans, whilst Europeans make the sport entertaining for the players.

Which seems really bizarre to me. The players are being paid an obscene amount of money to be out there, why is it on the fans to entertain them instead of the other way around?
>>
>>65042747
>Borussia Dortmund's 'wall'
That shits fuckin scary like they will become their own army out of nowhere

I'd surpress it if I were you.
>>
File: 920x920.jpg (153KB, 920x599px) Image search: [Google]
920x920.jpg
153KB, 920x599px
>>65042717
Seattle isn't too far off that vision with their gimmick
>>
>>65042833
It's all good fun
>>
>>65040576

It is funny.

European Soccer fans are similar to our football fans, but over here in the US the soccer fans are some sort of wanna be hipster fags who think they're being smart and european by liking soccer.

It'd be like if some british dude were really into the NFL and made up his own style of fandom in order to curry favor with american NFL fans.
>>
>>65041876
>none of this draft and salary cap bullshit

what is bull shit about having a draft and salary cap?
>>
>Why does american soccer fans try to act european?

Because having a post-season knockout tournament to determine the winner of your only league is retarded
Because not allowing a tie because some fat unemployed wanker at home will bitch and moan isn't a good enough excuse
Because having your sudden-death determined by a coin flip is retarded
>>
>>65040576
>It's not like europeans would act all american if they started caring about our sports.

This is true for hockey. America, Canada and Europe all handle their development leagues differently.
>>
NO ONE LIKES US
>>
>>65050610
>It'd be like if some british dude were really into the NFL and made up his own style of fandom in order to curry favor with american NFL fans

Someone in my class did that but for the NHL. He was so hipster he was trying to be Canadian because American was too "mainstream". I've never met a more arrogant and cocky cunt in my life.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-19-20-34-15.png (466KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-19-20-34-15.png
466KB, 1080x1920px
>>65050610
They do
>>
Serious question: has anyone in this thread (besides SuperQuakesFag) actually been to an MLS game?
>>
File: 1453079798960.jpg (36KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1453079798960.jpg
36KB, 500x371px
>>65051930
I don't give a crud
>>
>>65054288
I have. it's a bit cringey but they are still fun.
>>
>>65054288
I've been to both Seattle and Vancouver games.
I really don't mind the try-hard aspects of the atmosphere, since I don't really hear too much of it where I typically sit.

>>65040576
I'd actually prefer it to be more Americanized, but that will only happen if it becomes popular in the US (so maybe never).
>>
>>65054288

I've been a NASL game because my area doesn't have an MLS team. It was great fun desu.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 1024x768px
IT'S REALLY VERY SIMPLE
>>
>>65054676
There it is
>>
>>65054676
While it's all pretty stupid the Diskerud chant is the only one that makes me cringe.
>>
>>65054676
>Oh when New York, goes marching in
They even stole a New Orleans-specific song

Pathetic
>>
File: 1424227079723.png (113KB, 275x255px) Image search: [Google]
1424227079723.png
113KB, 275x255px
>live in philadelphia
>fucking "LOL SUNS OF BEN HEHEHEH DURRRR"
>poonions "famous" chant is the "NO ONE LIKES US WERE FROM PHILLY" chant
>thought it was really cool when I first heard it
>sounded unique and represented philly sports well
>mfw found out it was stolen from some english club, millwall, I think
>>
Friendly reminder that the only way to make the MLS popular in the US is to strip away every European aspect of it and Americanize it
>>
>>65041964
>This also appealed to beta males and women who weren't watching the sport because they played it in the past but because of the atmosphere.

You go to a sporting event just because you play the sport in the past?
Pretty stupid tbhimo
People go in part due to the atmosphere no matter what sport is being played. It's part of the incentive of physically being there rather than just watching a broadcast.
>>
>>65054860
They tried it
It didn't work out
>>
>>65050679
they say the draft is shit because it rewards tanking and gives shit management high draft picks to ruin.

They say the salary cap is bad because it is kikes keeping wages artificially low under the guise of helping out poor small market teams owned by billionaires
>>
>>65052080
>He was so hipster he was trying to be Canadian
>I've never met a more arrogant and cocky cunt in my life.

Man what a failure he is
>>
File: rage.png (93KB, 500x422px) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
93KB, 500x422px
>>65054676
>You might have some history,
>But we don't give a crud

You fucking faggots
>>
>>65054676
>N..Y..C *clap*
my sides
>>
>>65054676
I said it once, I'll say it again, we need the blacks to help. They would not stand for this shit.
>>
>>65054860

Remove all the drums and people with microphones and it would be fine
>>
>>65052080

Some people I know had an NFL 'draft party' where like 5 of them wore suits and sat round a table following the draft on their laptops with no alcohol or food or whatever and then posted a bunch of photos of it on Facebook
>>
>>65054676
every fucking time, kek
***clap***
>>
>>65040576
>It's not like europeans would act all american if they started caring about our sports.
You've never seen a British NFL "fan" have you? They are usually the kind of people that buy imported Lucky Charms and Hershey's chocolate because they think it's cool to like everything American.

And you said about names. British american football teams use US-style names too. E.g. my friend used to play for the Leicester Longhorns. British teams don't normally have names like that. A more British style name would be like "Leicester AFC (american football club)", or maybe "Leicester GFC" (gridiron football club) or something like that
>>
>>65046227
Hahaha fucking hell
>>
>>65042717
What the fuck is a "commissioner"
>>
>>65059271
I enjoy drums, and it's not just American fans who have drums, I saw other supporters during the gold cup play drums.
>>
>>65054676
>(Shout the Opposing team's name)!!!!!!!!!!
holy kek
>>
Always thought this was a bit weird because I'm not sure it is Americans trying to emulate Europe as much as it is just what football fans do.
Supporters are largely the same across the world, they sing songs in Japan and Colombia, so I don't know why they wouldn't in America too.
>>
>>65042832
It's competitive sport, it's not a fucking scripted television show, which is what Americans seem to think """sport""" should be
>why is it on the fans to entertain them
It's not "on" the fans to do anything you dumb twat. Fans create as great an atmosphere as they can, hoping it will rub off on the players and they'll win.
>>
>>65059423
Because American """sports""" """fans""" don't actually have the attention span to watch competitive sport, which is why they have to put on Budweiser adverts and fireworks and cheerleaders just to keep them pacified like small children.
>>
File: 1437986107782.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1437986107782.gif
2MB, 380x285px
>>65056846
even fucking Japan knows and they choreographically clap at fucking death metal gigs
>>
>>65059358
AFC wunt work pal, its too heavily associated with 'Athletic Football Club'

I think Rugby League is the most americanized competition in the country but its strange because its mostly northerners who play it
>>
File: Shitty.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>65059395
Ignore him, he doesn't know what he's talking about
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.