[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone explain to a yank who doesnt watch sawker, what exactly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: rooney.jpg (28KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
rooney.jpg
28KB, 630x420px
can someone explain to a yank who doesnt watch sawker, what exactly is Wayne Rooney? he seems to be very popular but I never see him being named among the GOATs like Messi and Ronaldo and shit.

is he a Carmelo Anthony type guy? a good but overrated meme player who plays for a really famous team? thats the vibe I get
>>
>>64846649
>is he a Carmelo Anthony type guy? a good but overrated meme player who plays for a really famous team? thats the vibe I get
That's actually surprisingly accurate. He was a borderline top 5 player in the world at his best but never came close to touching the genius of real greats. And for about a year now he has been straight up awful
>>
>>64846649
He was a promising young player who ended up just being good. Since he's the closest thing we have to a "world-class" player at the moment, the British media hype him up to be a GOAT.
>>
5 years ago he was probably one of the best in the world. Age has really caught up on him, playing premier league football since he was 16 has really burned him out. Still got alot ot class but simply can't keep up with the game anymore like ha used to. Now he's on £300k a week and just chilling.

Alot of English give him alot of grief because other than Euro 2004 he's never really performed for England the way he has done for Man United.
>>
>>64846649

he's a brave lad with good legs
>>
I actually like his playstyle, atleast few years ago. One of the last offensive players that is not a sissy primadona
>>
>>64846693
>>64846698
>>64846703
mkay makes sense thanks la
>>
>>64846649
he's the fattest baldest man currently playing top level football
>>
>>64846649

he's really, really stupid

t. some british guy i met who doesn't give a flying fuck about sports who said he's met him before
>>
>>64846649

he's just hyped by the english media
>>
>>64846649
He is the Kobe Bryant of english football. Over paid and over rated, used to be elite for a few years but is currently dragging his team down with huge salary and shit performances.
>>
>>64846703

this

although now he doesnt even perform for United

sadly hes england captain so he'll start every game for >us in the summer
>>
>>64846767
dem chav genetics
>>
>>64846883
sounds pretty accurate to Kobr
>>64846904
JUST
>>
>>64846693
>>64846703
backing up these statements

he hasn't been nearly as bad for England as it's made out to be, he missed a couple tournaments through injury when he was in great form, broke his foot at the Euros when he nearly won it for them, and was rushed back for another couple

overall I used to rate him really highly, at 18 he looked better than C Ronaldo, but his playstyle has always been about energy, and playing at the top level for so long has drained him

IMO he has a great long ball and could be converted to a CM
>>
Do English people like him?
Or do they pretend to like him, to not come across as ungrateful?
>>
>>64846993
United fans mostly do

cucks who are desperate for an English superstars mostly do

others mostly don't
>>
>>64846993
i liked him at euro 2004 when he peaked. he's been shit since then though t b h
>>
>>64846649

On top of what's been said, Rooney also seems to shows flashes of that greatness he had in the past. If he could play at his best, he and Martial could really be a deadly combination. It seems less likely to happen with each year that goes by, though.
>>
>>64846904

holy fuck, he was balding at age 8.
>>
>>64846649
when he was like 16-18 it looked like he might be one of the all-time greats. Instead he sort of levelled off and has been very good for a long time on one of the world's best teams, but generally not in that transcendent tier. The past few years, his team has sucked and he's played his worst ball.

So I guess Melo is a decent comparison, but he lacks the reputation of maybe being a bit selfish or too shitty to carry a top team, because Rooney has been instrumental for very successful teams in the past.
>>
Was one of the best, if not the best teenagers in decades. Best I've ever seen at least. Was overplayed and didn't have the commitment to go right to the very top.
>>
Still my favourite player. If managed properly, he can have a good short run as a striker, then drop deeper into midfielder/no.10 role IMHO.
>>
Didnt live up to his early potential. Still world class for a decade or thereabouts. Gets loads of flak because he is english. Best player we have produced since gazza ie he can actually play football, great touch and vision . Well past his best now tho
>>
File: 1379364969282.png (512KB, 840x2903px) Image search: [Google]
1379364969282.png
512KB, 840x2903px
>>64847342
>>
>>64846649
shit player playing for a shit team in a shit league
>>
>>64847356
>>
He was pretty GOAT between 07-like 2012ish I guess? Not best in the world but comfortably top 10 I'd say as far as forwards go.

People forget that Barcelona wanted him badly
>>
>>64847357
t. The Barrio of Bencharito
>>
>>64846993
I love him and im an abu
>>
>melo
>overrated
Maybe in his first couple years in the league when he was hyped a ton
Since then he's been largely ignored, mostly because he's been on teams that aren't organized enough to compete in the playoffs, despite being a constant producer and extremely clutch player
>>
When he first broke through he looked like a number 10. Full of energy and creativity, dropping deep to get the ball and run at opponents.

Then Ferguson knocked all of the zest and spark out of him and converted him into a poacher after using him as a work horse out wide for a few years.
>>
>>64846649
Too pale to be considered a goat, that's all
>>
>>64846883
kobe bryant will end up in the hall of fame of basketball though
rooney will be a footnote in football's history
>>
>>64846703

People forget he won the 2010/11 league for Utd, the West Ham game was superb.

He has negotiated contracts at the right times. Ferguson was under pressure from Man City when Rooney got a big new deal, and Moyes was fighting for his job when Rooney got an extension.

He would have got into any EPL team from 2005-2012.
>>
>>64848634
>People forget he won the 2010/11 league for Utd
Except that's total bullshit. He literally did not score from open play until January. Nani, Vidic and van der Sar were all much more important during that title run
>>
He's unironically England's best player of all time. Think about that. Lmao England's pathetic.
>>
Does soccer (football) have a Hall Of Fame?

Asking because I don't know, and don't want that shit in my news feed.
>>
>>64847378
wow, just 2 ugly ass niggas

I mean compare that shit to the latinos or whoever for that matter

the brits truly are shit tier
>>
>>64847146
Spotted the expat
>>
>>64846703
>Alot of English give him alot of grief because other than Euro 2004 he's never really performed for England the way he has done for Man United.

He was the only player giving his all against Uruguay back in the World Cup to be fair to him.
>>
>>64846649
Not leaving united was the worst decision of his life t§h
>>
He's Derek Jeter. A consistently 8/10 player who played a billion years for a team with unlimited spending power. He won a bunch of championships because his team spent more money than anyone else could.
>>
>>64848861
why??

he makes 300k a week, nowhere else would he make that fuckign amount

has won every trophy there is to win

leaving for real would have made him an all time great? look at beckham niga
>>
>>64848869
Yankees consistently had teams full of home grown players
>>
>>64846649

FIRST forget all the britbongs replying.

Now for real answer. He was on a really good ManUnited team that got some trophies and shit. He was attacker and scored some goals. Not a lot but some. He was ENGLISH. So in the end english media hyped him into being the best man on the team, the best man in the league and the best player in the world. Britbongs bit it until the major national competition started and hyped him to heaven and back. When he started playing a bit poorly they started making shit about how shit he became.

In reality he was hard working attacker that helped in defence, but was never all that great scorer.
>>
>>64848861
Why? Maybe he would have been carried to a few trophies more at Barcelona but he'd never get as much money as he's getting now and it wouldn't do much to enhance his legacy
>>
>>64848922
>FIRST forget all the britbongs replying.

Get out you prat. He was good in his prime but he's washed up now.
>>
>>64848922
>hurr durr le english media le delusion
He won 1 EPL player of the year award and was included in the EPL team of the year 3 times in his 13 year long career. No one ever claimed he's the best player in the league or was the best player in the 06-09 United team
>>
>>64846649
To actually talk some positives about him:

He's England's all time biggest goalscorer (Though people will argue this point as "Most of them are from qualifying against smaller teams" as if this isn't the case for a lot of other players)

He's the second highest goalscorer in Manchester United's history (Only needs 11 more goals to be top)

He's the second highest goalscorer in EPL history (That one though he's probably never going to catch up to Alan Shearer who just has a crazy record of 260 considering only 23 other players have even hit triple figures at all)

He's slowing down a bit (Which might seem odd because he's the same age as C. Ronaldo, but I guess that's simply down to lifestyle, a tougher work schedule, and maybe a bit of genetics), but he's still got those bits of brilliance without the same temper that would get him sent off all the time. He's kind of taken the Beckham role in the team now. He was the Golden Boy back in the day sure, and there may be better players out there, but you shouldn't count him out just yet. His name on a team sheet is still enough to make a smart team play with at least some caution against him.

He's also got the late Beckham career role of everybody blaming him for every low but will act like they never doubted him for a second when he delivers the high.
>>
>>64848959

Nah. If he was Dutch noone would even notice him. Probably the most overhyped player ever to play the game. Even Owen showed some brilliance, both for his teams and for country.
>>
>>64849043
>(Though people will argue this point as "Most of them are from qualifying against smaller teams"
2bh England is a small team itself these days
>>
>>64849113
Thanks white man
>>
>>64849113
> Argentina
> Still being this salty over a tiny archipelago in the South Atlantic Ocean

The least you guys could have done was let the Netherlands get past you so we could have had a WC final that would have been fun to watch instead of the inevitable result that dragged on to its eventual conclusion that we got.
>>
Great thread, here's another question...

do britbongs root for any English team in the Premier League? Or do team rivalries still prevail?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.