[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do we keep pretending american football is a kind of game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: o-JAKE-GYLLENHAAL-570.jpg (52KB, 570x379px) Image search: [Google]
o-JAKE-GYLLENHAAL-570.jpg
52KB, 570x379px
why do we keep pretending american football is a kind of game you need to be smart to be good at?

frank gore, one of the best running backs in modern football, scored only 6 in his wonderlic test and that translates to iq of 72

yes, one of the best players playing relatively hard position because of having to learn blitz pickup schemes, routes and offensive schemes for catching passes is literally mentally retarded, yet we all still keep believing you need to be smart to be good at this sport
>>
I always laugh when the experts and announcers try to pretend like the sport is magical and holy
>>
if you're not retarded, you slowly realize what a sham the NFL and football in general is

its not even the biggest sport in america. its just the most aggressively marketed entertainment product probably in the world
>>
>>64716508
>one of the best players playing relatively hard position

running back is perhaps the easiest position on the field and relies the least on knowledge and the most on speed and instinct.
>>
are you the same croatbro that hates trump for being too gaudy? why won't you let america have any guilty pleasures? they bombed serbia for you, what more do you want
>>
>>64717123
dan marino had a wonderlic of 15, terry bradshaw scored 16
that translates to an iq of somewhere around 80-90

but hey, quarterback is also probably one of the easiest positions on the field
>>
>>64717298
>wonderlic directly translates to intelligence
jesus, and you're in here shitting on anything for being stupid? what a retard
>>
>>64717307
>iq test doesn't directly translate to intelligence

sorry bwana i better learn my place
>>
football is basically roman gladiators for the 21st century.
its the most savage and worthless members of society killing each other for our amusement.
>>
Some athletes are smart, some are dumb. I highly doubt players like Luis Suarez or Neymar are geniuses. I mean, look at a person like Terry, one of the best defensive backs of the mid-2000s: he's a complete mongloid who'd probably be working construction if he didn't have a natural talent for soccer
>>
File: 1437607692621.gif (199KB, 336x468px) Image search: [Google]
1437607692621.gif
199KB, 336x468px
>you will never have Jake's hair genetics
>>
>>64717364

Suarez is pretty goddamn smart on the field. Picks passes out before the runners even see them.
>>
>>64716508
american football is as "complex", "strategic" and "chess-like" as corner-kicks and fks.
>>
If football is so easy then play it. I remember when I firsty got into it I thought the same. I tried out for my high school thinking shit was as simple as throwing the ball to the open man and not getting hit but fuck that I got my shit pushed in.
>>
>>64717413
>positioning players to best kick a ball at their heads is the same as memorizing routes and play names
you've done it again brazil
>>
>>64717485
>memorizing routes and play names

it must be really hard if mentally retarded niggers excel at it
>>
Players don't call plays, coaches do

The wonderlic is not taken seriously by any NFL player. Ryan Fitzpatrick got the highest score to date and outright admits he didn't care about the test and tried to finish it as quickly as possible

Running Back is by far one of the easiest positions in football.

The NFL has a higher GDP than your entire country
>>
File: test-blu-ray-forrest-gump-4.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
test-blu-ray-forrest-gump-4.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>
You definitely can't be stupid to play Americaball. Fuck, my defensive playbook in college was 140 pages- a lot of that shit has to be memorized and utilized in the few seconds the offense lines up and motions. My high school ran a 5-2 with maybe four blitzes and three coverages. (thank christ it was simple because I also played guard and every special teams)

In college we ran a 4-3 monster with at least 3 different line alignments, over 12 coverages and more blitz packages than I care to remember. All of which is situational- If the offense lines up in X, you do Y- if they motion to Z DON'T DO Y- unless the Mike calls fire and there isn't a slot receiver to the weak side.
>>
NFL playbooks are six inches thick. And there has been players that don't know how to read that have had immense success.

I'd love to see a single one of you retards learn a thousand plays and all the audibles and coverage adjustments for every single play without ever doing anything but watching your teammates and remembering what they're doing.
>>
I just took the wonderlic and got 50.

What is my iq?
>>
>>64717633
smarter than the average ni66er
>>
>>64717503
>corner kicks can be taken by literally 3rd world citizens
just stop croatia, you don't have a leg to stand on here
just because the sport you like better isn't actually as complex as one you don't like doesn't mean you have to lash out
>>
>>64717553
What school did you play at and why aren't you in the NFL and offering to pay my tuition?
>>
>>64717678
There's more than Division I football in college

Only the top 1% of college players make it to the NFL. Yeah, even the guys who are drafted last

Not all college players want to play in the NFL
>>
File: 1451377393916ns45a.png (840KB, 552x537px) Image search: [Google]
1451377393916ns45a.png
840KB, 552x537px
>>64717678
A small Division II school in the middle of PA, but I got a lot of attention from Division I schools after my freshman year even though I only started three games.

Only my weight lifting coach (non of the actual coaches wanted me to leave) put the idea of NFL into my head and gave me Penn State's summer workout book. Then my dad left, ma got into a nasty car accident and I had to come home and take care of her.

I can still dream of what could have been...
>practice squad of NFL team
>series of injuries
>game's on the line
>GET IN THERE ANON
>crippled for life after first hit
>be on ESPN as sob story and forgotten by all in 12 minutes
>mfw
>>
>>64717757
It's rare to see someone who's smart enough to know a good college career wouldn't necessarily translate into a good pro career.
>>
>>64717775
I was about as big as my body would ever let me at the time
>6'3 240lbs
>4.5 40
>Too small for linebacker
>Too slow for secondary

I played against John Kuhn my freshman year and it was painful. I spent the entire following week in the fucking ice bath. There were a few other guys who were clearly just a level above me, and while I was good enough to survive against them alone- I'd get destroyed against a team full of that kind of talent.
>>
>>64717818
>I played against John Kuhn my freshman year and it was painful

do you think tim riggins could have ever made it in the pros?
>>
It's different in that different positions require a different amount of intellect I believe. Offensive lineman have to know the most plays and be the smartest (as they have to know what each of the 5 positions does on every play), while I think wide receivers generally only learn their routes. I went to a D2 school and took a Calc 2 class with an OT (all-conference). He was genuinely a pretty smart, nice guy though a physical monster.

However just like any sport, some players get away with pure physicality. But to truly excel you have to have some sort of intellect to understand the game. Perhaps your intellect is specific to the field, but it has to be there. The ability to see the game and remember shit. It's the kinda thing they talk about Wayne Gretzky having, hockey sense. That guy knew everything that was going to happen on the ice about 2-3 seconds before it did.
>>
the average score of a NFL player according to position is the following:

Offensive tackle – 26
Center – 25
Quarterback – 24
Guard – 23
Tight end – 22
Safety – 19
Linebacker – 19
Cornerback – 18
Wide receiver – 17
Fullback – 17
Halfback – 16[
>>
>>64718153
Some notable players who scored well below the average include:

Morris Claiborne – 4 (first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, lowest score ever known by an NFL player)
Mario Manningham – 6 (3rd-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft
Frank Gore – 6 (3rd-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft)
Tavon Austin – 7 (first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft)
Terrelle Pryor – 7 (third-round pick in the 2011 NFL Supplemental Draft)
Carlos Hyde – 9 (second round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft)
Travis Henry – 9 (second-round pick in the 2001 NFL Draft)
Charles Rogers – 10 (second overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft)
Cordarrelle Patterson – 11 (first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft)

Some notable players who scored well above the average include:

Aaron Rodgers – 35 (first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft)[30]
Colin Kaepernick – 37 (second-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft)
Tony Romo – 37 (undrafted in 2003)
Matthew Stafford – 38 (first overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft)
Eli Manning – 39 (first overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft)
Alex Smith – 40 (first overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft)
Calvin Johnson – 41 (first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft)
Blaine Gabbert – 42 (first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft)
Eric Decker – 43 (third-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft)
Greg McElroy – 43 (seventh-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft)
Matt Birk – 46 (sixth-round pick in the 1998 NFL Draft)
Ryan Fitzpatrick – 48 (seventh-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft; finished test in a record nine minutes)
Ben Watson – 48 (first-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft)
Mike Mamula – 49 (first-round pick in the 1995) NFL Draft; second highest score ever reported)
Pat McInally – 50 (fifth-round pick in the 1975 NFL Draft; only player known to have gotten a perfect score)

I think the most hilarious think in all of this is Eli Manning scored higher on this than Peyton, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and all the other ones.
>>
>>64718181
Here's an outdated list on the Wonderlic scores of QBs currently playing for the NFL

Greg McElroy, NY Jets, 48
Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville, 42
Alex Smith, San Francisco, 40
Eli Manning, NY Giants, 39
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis, 37
Tony Romo, Dallas, 37*
Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco, 37
Sam Bradford, St. Louis, 36
Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay, 35
Christian Ponder, Minnesota 35
Marcus Mariota, ?, 33
Tom Brady, New England 33
Johnny Manziel, Cleveland, 32
Matt Ryan, Atlanta, 32
Andy Dalton, Cincinnati 29
Mark Sanchez, NY Jets, 28
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis, 28
Blake Bortles, Jacksonville, 28
Jameis Winston, ?, 27
Brandon Weeden, Cleveland, 27
Ryan Mallett, New England, 26
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh 25
Robert Griffin III, Washington, 24
Cam Newton, Carolina, 21
Jake Locker, Tennessee 20
Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota, 20
Derek Carr, Raiders, 20

Now, I think the most hilarious thing here is that Johnny Manziel is just 1 under Tom Brady and is above Peypey.
>>
>>64716597

>its not even the biggest sport in america

I dare you to name one bigger.
>>
>>64716508
I assume you've already been told this, but it depends on your position. qb and olineman generally require at least some advanced understanding of the game. at least a couple of your linebackers/safeties have to know what's going on. full retard receievers have a hard time if they don't have transcendent talent.

rbs, corners, and d lineman can be full blow retards tho.

beyond all that, i'm not sure anyone is "pretending american football is a kind of game you need to be smart to be good at". I'm not actually sure such a sport exists.
>>
>>64718181
>CJ got a 41

Damn megatron
>>
>>64718211
baseball lol

that was fuckin' easy
>>
>>64718269
"no"
>>
>>64718269
Anon.
MLB is my favorite sport to watch, has the best post season and system in US professional sports and even I know football is king. The ratings football gets blows any sport out of the water and it continues to rise. Regular season and otherwise.

MLB might dominate the local market more than any other sport but in terms of total viewership and other statistics football is much, much bigger.It will remain that way for a long time.

Canada, stick to furpuck. You don't know the markets in US sports. Next think you'll tell me is that Hockey is on the rise and will soon overtake the NBA as #3 in the US pro sports.
>>
>>64718297
nice false flag

no true baseball fan would ever say that

nfl ratings might be higher because the schedule is so fucking tiny so every game means a lot more. no one's gonna tune into the 6th baseball game this week over the one football game that accounts for a full 16th of your season

mlb still blows nfl the fuck out in terms of revenue. the true fans come out every day. the yankees pull an average of over 50,000 fans a home game, and do it over the course of a season literally ten times longer than the nfl

the nfl has been ridiculously over marketed over the past ten years as "america's game" etc etc (despite the fact it has the weakest history of any major sport around the world) because they realized what a fucking cash cow of advertising space it is to the mostly tv market outside of big city america

look at the big urban areas and you'll see they're dominated by other sports i.e. LA is all doyers, patsfags are nothing other than red sux fans bandwagoning during the offseason, the giants and the jets are a pale shadow when compared to the yankees, st. louis gives so few shits their team is about to move out, etc.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.