[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

amerifat here with a question for brits. visited some family

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 567316960_bb644ee57a_b.jpg (508KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
567316960_bb644ee57a_b.jpg
508KB, 1024x717px
amerifat here with a question for brits. visited some family in the UK once and got taken out for dinner at a british pub. but then when we were eating one of the serving staff dropped a glass and everybody around stopped to turn around and shout "WAY" or something all at the same time. when I asked about it my aunt said it's traditional to do this whenever anyone drops a glass or plates or whatever. wasn't sure I believed her but I just saw a clip with stephen fry where he mentions the same thing. wtf is this and what exactly are they shouting, is it just "WAY" or did I get the word wrong and what does it mean?

also I guess general thread for discussing weird customs observed when visiting other countries and hopefully we can all give each other explanations.
>>
brit here. Yeah it's a thing, I find it one of the better things about living here. Not sure how it started but most people tend to be on board with the whole thing, in a friendly way and it's definitely not malicious. it's more like "whaaaay you dickhead"
I suppose it's kind of acceptance for doing something stupid
>>
also, where did you visit? And do you not have anything similar in America?
>>
>>23101136
Not OP, but it depends.
If it does happen, especially at a restaurant with a bar a lot of people clap or cheer. But they do it to be assholes, not in friendly jest.
>>
>>23100890
It's just friendly banter. Happens all the time, even in labs when people fuck up
>>
File: u wot m8.webm (777KB, 242x372px) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.webm
777KB, 242x372px
>>23101434
Kraut here, we do that too. Literally YAYing and WOOHOOing and clapping and whatnot.
Obviously not in a "fine dining" type of restaurant, but in pubs and bars, yea sure.

Part of it probably (at least for me and I guess me mates) is the relief that someone else dun it first - because when you're innapub, of course you're going to drop something sometimes, just a matter of probability and how drunk you are.
>>
>>23101131
This
>>23101434
Not this. It's in a friendly manner
>>
>>23100890
Can confirm that >>23101131 is pretty much spot on.
>>
>>23100890

Essentially means they're mocking your fuck up, but it's not serious. Just a bit of banter.
>>
I'd say it's a combination of whaaay and hooraaaay, which basically just comes out as a low "aaaaayyy".

Just banter to embarrass the person who did it but in a friendly way.
>>
Ausfag here.
After working with an old brit supervisor for the last two years, I still don't understand brit humour.
>>
>>23100890
Britfag here. This is friendly banter meant to mock the person fucking up. You hear it a lot when people mess up in general, especially during football matches etc. Couldnt tell you why its thwt noise but its all in good fun reslly
>>
Why do americans say 'i could care less' when talking about something they dont give a shit about?

Surely the expression should be 'i COULDN'T care less'?
>>
>>23105474
The expression actually is 'couldn't care less' but people don't know how to speak without fucking everything up
>>
>>23105474
Grammar Nazis correct us about this all the time

Are all Italian guys really extreme flirts?I've met one in Europe once, and he was a huuuge flirt
>>
>>23106645
WRONG!

"I could care less" is an idiom. And it means whatever the fuck both parties understand it to mean.
>>
>>23106890
You're an idiom, anon
>>
we do this in greek restaurants

OOOOOPPPPPPPPPPAHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
im moving to the states in a few months and after visiting a number of times, theres still one or two things im not sure on

What is an appropriate amount to tip a waiter?
How and when should i tip a barman?
If im at a coffee shop and the guy in front buys mine for me and tells me to pay it forward, should i buy coffee for the next person in line or can i do this anytime?
I typically wear quite slim-fitting clothes (male) and ive noticed americans typically do not. Any particular reason behind this?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.