[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do people get degrees because muh jobs or because they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1447089232008.jpg (24KB, 308x448px) Image search: [Google]
1447089232008.jpg
24KB, 308x448px
do people get degrees because muh jobs or because they're passionate about the field? and if it's the latter, are they better off in that field finding jobs than those who are just reeking desperation about making money and so forth?

i hear people telling me science and medicine are dead fields and that i should get a degree in walmaranomics becuase it's a more viable area and i'll get a job at any retail outlet i want.
>>
>>7856437
Because they get a job. Most kids in school are in a degree because "I was always good at _____", "it pays good", "mom said so" or "idk, lol".

You are bred to perform on tests, to recite, memorize and repeat. You're not harbored into a learning environment to enjoy what you do. Most kids, and a majority of high performing kids do these specific tasks well. It is no true metric of their intelligence or skill, just a dick measuring tool parents use to convince themselves they did the right thing.

>I hate my generation of parenting
>>
>>7856437
It's funny because you are bitter.

I can bet you anything that you don't even have a degree yet. Probably still an edgy freshman.
>>
>>7856567
honestly why even get a degree? you're basically fucked.
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 750x1334px
>>7856574
lol at your life faggot.
>>
>>7856574
Maybe because most jobs that pay a comfortable salary require at least some form of college education? But go ahead, work your way up the Walmart ladder, I'm sure you'll have a fulfilling time there.
>>
College has already been exposed as a fraud. You pay out the ass to get a degree that most likely will not land you a job because no jobs exist! If our economy is sooo strong, and we only have le "5% unemployment rate :^)", then tell me why the fed has ~100 million working age Americans listed as "Not in the workforce", Obozo. The globalist-run mainstream media is lying to your faces, and you'd be much better off cheating the system by being a hustler & making your own money. At least until martial law is declared, and you (potentially) get transported to the FEMA camps for "re-education".

So, to answer your fucking question, there are people who pursue degrees for both of the listed reasons. STEM, Business, Pre-med, & Pre-Law are the only viable options in college today. Unless you choose one of those four, you may as well not even go to college. It's a meme otherwise. Everything else (like the "walmaranomics" you mentioned) will get you a nice mcretail job being the ignorant plebeian customer's bitch for the next 40 (nah, 60+. you won't be retiring.) years.
>>
>>7856596
>Pre-med, & Pre-Law
LOL http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/AAS/Phil/upload/LSAT-Scores-of-Majors.pdf

Same goes for premed
>>
>>7856561
>You are bred to perform on tests, to recite, memorize and repeat.
Are you in favor of "unschooling"?
>>
>>7856437
>Get a degree in a field you're not passionate about
>Spend the next forty years working in a field you're not passionate about
>Watch people pass you by career-wise because they're passionate about getting better at that field and you're not
>Become one of those nameless, faceless drones that lives for the weekend
>Retire having accomplishing nothing of note in your entire working career

Go for it, lad.
>>
>>7856606
>work for 5 years and use savings on something else
Isn't that an option too? You literally don't have to be stuck on one career.
>>
>>7856437
people get degree's because its the mark of the upper class.

there are plenty of tradesman making way more off union wages than engineers off salary. but /sci/ is full of arrogant faggots who think they are too good for that prole shit, so they get a degree, but proceed to cry about "no jobs", especially when it isn't something marketable in the first place.
>>
>>7856611
>>work for 5 years and use savings on something else
>Isn't that an option too? You literally don't have to be stuck on one career.

Then you'll be 5 years behind in experience from everybody who began in that type of job unless your new career involves a job that's very similar to your old job. You can do it maybe once or twice at the very start of your career but it's going to handicap you badly after that.

Plus it's hard to find the energy to retrain on top of having a 40 hour job, especially after you hit 35.

Still better than staying in a career path you hate, though.
>>
out of a group of people who all did the same degree, the people who are greedy and did it for the money generally end up taking advantage of the people with a passion. networking is everything. its not what you, its who you know.

if i could do do it all over again, i would have gone into trades. at least then i could have worked outside, and done honest work for honest pay.
>>
>>7856605
No, kids need direction that makes them think about a variety of subjects, not just the ones they know and are familiar with. I just see my (wife's) friends in this baby Einstein/spanish daycare/reading by 6 months/study study study type of parenting for a 4 year old and it drives me crazy.

I agree that tests need to be given, I just think we sacrifice a lot of the "why" for the "what" in grade schools
>>
>>7856437
Neither: http://www.ted.com/talks/ruth_chang_how_to_make_hard_choices
>>
>>7856630
>Then you'll be 5 years behind in experience from everybody who began in that type of job
Don't really see this as a bad thing as long as you're happy with what you're doing honestly.
>>
>>7856437
muh jobs.

degrees dont mean shit anymore though now that everyone gets accepted and everyone gets loans.

the college kikes just curve/pass everyone and keep them in as long as possible to rake in those government shekels.
>>
>>7856658
>>Then you'll be 5 years behind in experience from everybody who began in that type of job
>Don't really see this as a bad thing as long as you're happy with what you're doing honestly.

Doesn't matter what YOU think, sonny. It matters what your prospective employer thinks.

>Minimum requirements
> ...
> -BSE in Underwater Basketweaving or related field or equivalent experience
> -10 or more years experience in underwater basketweaving using Wicker, Bamboo, Grass, or similar aquatic-resistant frameworks
> -7 or more years experience in breath-holding
> -Demonstrated expertise in corporate ass-kissing and ladder climbing
> ...

People have different expectations of what you're capable of as you get older. If you don't fit those expectations, you'd damned well be able to explain yourself.
>>
>>7856679
Or you can, you know, start your own business like a real man.
>>
>>7856700
> ~50% of small business fail within 5 years
> ~90% of startups fail within 5 years

That's a tough road to travel. Most people aren't up to the task of opening up their own business.
>>
>>7856587
>putting your diploma on a wall
aren't you a cringelord?
>>
You should get a degree in something you are passionate and feel you can put it to productive (empahsis: productive) use.
Even as a Chemical engineering major I still believe the "WE NEED MORE STEM MAJORS" and the emphasis on tech and science degrees is an overused meme. Most of the issues regarding our "lack" of STEM work forces has less to do with our education and more to do with our labor polices that give companies the excuse to hire and exploit people cheaper on h1b visas over naturalized citizens.

That being said I believe that ANY bachelors degree (even a basket weaving one) is better then NO degree at least the eyes of employers in this world.
I say this because looking at my dad who does infosec/IT auditing he has wanted to hire very bright and highly competent people who know their shit but couldn't because they did have a 4-year and that was the company policy. The same goes for any field, you can have a derp with a bachelors in women studies get hired over someone who has experience and outcomes to show for it.
>>
>do people get degrees because muh jobs or because they're passionate about the field?
Both happen, obviously. I have no idea as to the relative frequencies, but I think it varies wildly across cultures.

>and if it's the latter, are they better off in that field finding jobs than those who are just reeking desperation about making money and so forth?
Not particularly.
>>
>>7856731
50% of people aren't men you numbnuts.
>>
What do you do if you are passionate ablut game developing?
>>
>>7856811
This "shortage" is purely imaginary. These recruitment drives are from the cold war, where a deliberate oversupply was created to drive down wages and increase the number of highly qualified public researchers per grant award (monopsyny for uncle sam.) Unfortunately it's only gotten worse since the wall fell. Go figure.
>>
>>7856775
Where's yours?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.