[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im new here, i came to read about the recent discover that we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: gravity-waves.jpg (292KB, 2160x1440px) Image search: [Google]
gravity-waves.jpg
292KB, 2160x1440px
Im new here, i came to read about the recent discover that we can detectate gravity waves, but there's no thread about it, so i'll start

>gravity waves
>how could we use it
>relativity
thread
>>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/12150944/Gravitational-waves-Einstein-was-right-and-this-announcement-is-the-scientific-highlight-of-the-decade.html
>>
>>7851130
Here you go newfag
>>
>>7854540
aww thanks
>>
>>7854534
>>gravity waves>how could we use it
Surfing.
>>
File: 1455211794355.jpg (158KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1455211794355.jpg
158KB, 1024x768px
>>7854546
like this?
>>
File: 1370191099682.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1370191099682.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>7854560
>Year 3000
>The human race masters the secrets of Interstellar Travel
>We surf the spacetime fabric in search of ayylmaos
Fuck Trillennials I am jealous
>>
>>7854534
There's like fucking 10 threads about it and a sticky that just got lifted.

Use the catalog you lazy nigger.
>>
>>7854581
damn trillennials
>>
>>7854601
how do i use the catalog?
>>
I'll use this thread not to spoil the rest of the board with more of my plebeian stupidity.
Gravity. I have my doubts.
At school I was told that the sun's gravity force pulled the planets towards its center. However, the planet's speed was an antagonist force that pulls the orbe away from the star. The result between both forces was a circular/spiral movement, an elliptical orbit where the sun is one of the two centers of the ellipse. Pic more or less related.
But I read on the big internet someone saying that the only reason planets don't go straight into collision with their home stars is because of the gravitational bending of the space-time fabric that occurs around the sun, which makes a circle. The poster compared it to a globe of death" - that metal cage where daredevils run motorcycles - so, the bikes are trying to move in a straight line but the cage is in a round shape so that you end up running in circles.
That seems awfully wrong according to what I've been told.
>>
>>7854748
Orbit is falling but you're going so fast sideways you miss whatever you're falling towards.
>>
File: sgsgsdg.png (271KB, 600x304px) Image search: [Google]
sgsgsdg.png
271KB, 600x304px
>>7854786
So we can agree to disagree with that dreadful facebook-tier comic made for ordinary people to understand the hype about gravi. waves (?)
pic related. The quote that caused me trouble.
>>
dear lord the only thing worse than popsci infested /sci/ is the fact that nobody realizes aliens are already in our solar system, flying around in antigravity saucers and creating hybrid species at will

I really want to see /sci/ answer for their idiocy when the time comes. Sheeple can't think for yourselves.
>>
>>7854546
God, reminds me of a friend that called me today:
>Hey anon, what's up you've been on facebook today? (I don't use facebook)
>There's been a huge discovery posted all over I'm watching the livestream now.
>It's crazy this will revolutionize science, like we'll be able to ride on gravitational waves, like Einstein imagined 100 years ago.
Worst thing is that I think, he was serious about this, not even kidding How do you deal with stuff like that?
>>
>>7854811
Yeah, and you have proof about that? You wouldn't be so sure about it otherwise, right? It's not like you are a gullible person like us, that just believe things random people tell them about, just because they want to believe it.
>>
>>7854867
no, I simply think it is a possibility.
Science is about considering possibilities.
Astronauts, pilots, videos, radar reports, whistleblowers... there's evidence out there. Is it proof? No and most of it is probably nonsense. But the outright hostility regarding the subject on /sci/ is what gets me.
>>
>>7854938
>Science is about considering possibilities
You only got it halway though. It's about setting up a thesis and then proofing it. You can have a thesis about everything, but nobody would probably believe you without you, or someone else, confirming it first.
That's the concept of it at least. There are so many people claiming this and that and it's astouning to me how ridiculed this subject is in public myself.
I think some people just want to believe, so they wildly throw out their ideas and search for an answer in related subjects. There were people outright telling me, ancient egypts were aliens and a minute later that hitler developed flying saucers.
Then they try to prove their claims by wildly connected them to random subjects or referecing something vague related to that without really questioning the sources or the intentiions of these things in the first place.
>>
>>7854560
It's kinda strange how this is brought up now, because we already knew (from gravitational lensing, precession of Mercury, gravitational redshift) that GR was most likely true at interstellar scales. The detection of gravity waves just is one more proof of that. Alcubierre warp drive don't work yet because we can't create the sorts of energies required to bend spacetime in a sufficient way.
>>
>>7854748
You have no question, you just told us about some stupid analogy someone told you.

Just because you think something is wrong doesn't mean it is.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.