[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This guy says nearly anyone can be a mechanical engineer. Is he right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (156KB, 1914x1014px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
156KB, 1914x1014px
This guy says nearly anyone can be a mechanical engineer. Is he right?
>>
nice link
>>
>>7854361
nearly anyone can be any type of engineer
>>
Anyone can CALL themselves an engineer because it's not a protected title like doctor. If that changed, all these faggots could get prosecuted and engineering would be a respected profession again.
>>
This guy shitposts about everyone else's degree but has a 2.3 GPA and isn't even employed as a mech eng, watch his interview with the mech eng it's hilariously depressing
>>
>>7854413

Was his GPA really that low? I thought Asians are smart. How the fuck did he get a job.
>>
>>7854408
It IS a protected title. Software devs. regularly get fined for putting engineer on their business card. Your firm/business will can get fined if you do too.

The problem is there's no body activily enforcing it, so normal citiizens have to report it and what happens next depends on the state despite it being covered as a federal law under the CPA. Then again I don't believe there's a federal body that travels the country side making sure house doctors all have professional registration either.

>>7854413
>2.3
As expected. With the rampant grade inflation that amounts to failing. Unhireable, he might as well not have a degree.
>>
>>7854408

He means get an engineering degree
>>
>>7854435

He had a job, but he quit.
>>
>>7854435
>It IS a protected title.

In some states and in some countries.
>>
>>7854451
Because it was probably a shitty tech job with an engineering sticker.

>>7854453
It's federally protected, but some states are anal and the feds don't want to have yet another thing to fight over. In any case if you want to do consulting or get a job at any half decent company which isn't some countryside shithole you will need to conform to the regulations.

>in some countries
Yeah, but most countries generally have laws distinguishing between professional engineering and "engineering", in any case if you work for an international company it again matters because they don't want to get in get trouble from countries they operate in.
>>
>>7854499

Nah, it was an engineering job.
>>
>>7854499
>Yeah, but most countries generally have laws distinguishing between professional engineering and "engineering"

Maybe, here anyone can call themselves engineers. Hell you don't even need any particular qualification (provided it's in mathematics, physics or engineering) to become a chartered engineer, only a decade (I think) work experience.
>>
>>7854526

You from the UK? Where the guy who flicks switches on a boiler is called an engineer?
>>
>>7854526
Yes I've seen that posted on /sci/ by nervous undergrads, but have you read the bureaucratic nightmare that constitutes that many years worth of experience? There's several requirements on the type of experience you need, which is not just engineering problem solving/design, but also a certain type of management/supervision experience, r&d (which need engineering research not just science or lab monkeying) etc. The key point you need all of them and you need to do it under other CEs who will back you up and need to review your reports etc. you can't have a lot of gaps. Things you won't get if you aren't working under a CE mentor in a company with money to burn on your training. You sure as hell won't be hired into that type of job without an engineering qualification unless you have a very generous uncle/daddy.

I'm from the UK, I've never heard of anyone becoming a CE without going through the usual grind. There are pathway open, but they are only open in theory not in practice because it's impossible to do all thaf. If you read all the requirements you'll quickly realize the only way in hell someone would hire you into that is if they are willing to train a CE as a long term investment so they can have cheaper CEs working for them.
>>
>>7854361
Depends of your BJ skills
>>
>>7854570
>but have you read the bureaucratic nightmare that constitutes that many years worth of experience?

It's the same amount of experience needed if you're an engineer or whatever.

> I've never heard of anyone becoming a CE without going through the usual grind.

I know two people that have done it.
>>
>>7854413

Source on his GPA faggit
>>
>>7854361
Even ME?
>>
>>7854408

It's called a P.E. anon, and it is protected, at the state level
>>
>>7855365
Look at his interview with a Chinese mech eng, both low GPA both miserable and both still say it's the best major
>>
>>7854361
yes
>>
>>7855797

I thought Asians are smart?
>>
>>7854413
Lol now I know Forsure everyone on sci is a fucking lying bitch.
He graduated cum lauded and worked as a mechanical engineer for a year or so.
>>
>>7854361
>Learn autocad

You are now a MechE
>>
>>7856062
I'm an EE the fact that I learned AutoCad is the only thing that gets any employer to give a call back, it feels the entire rest of program was a waste of fucking time.
>>
>>7856073
>>7856062

But what about solidworks and autodesk inventor?
>>
Idk why he'd quit his job tho, looks Filipino so he probably wanted to do something outside of stem
>>
>>7854361
Expectation: I'll be a mechanical engineer and design cars at a major auto manufacturer, or I'll work at General Dynamics. Mechanical Engineers make weapons, Civil Engineers make targets.

Reality: Spend the rest of your life doing tolerances for a machine that manufactures machine screws

But honestly Mech Eng is great if you are not sure what you want to do specifically, because Mech is pretty much the most general engineering discipline
>>
>>7856274
>Reality: Spend the rest of your life doing tolerances for a machine that manufactures machine screws

I'm fine with doing that if I get paid well.
>>
nearly anyone=/= anyone
>>
>>7856282
sad t b h
>>
>>7854408

Not in Canada, P.Eng is a protected title in this country.
>>
>>7856274
Reality is this, you see new machines and objects manufactured everyday. Someone creates that shit. If you are good enough you can do that too. But first, you somehow need to get experience or just be lucky.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.