[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Colonising & Exoplanets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: sunshine.jpg (48KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
sunshine.jpg
48KB, 600x300px
Dear /sci/,

I have a bunch of questions about space and human colonisation. If you could answer or point me to sources, I'd appreciate.

Here's for starters:

>how much is needed to terraform a planet
>can a geologically dead planet be "rebooted" somehow, and how is a dead planet a problem
>could we ever live on Venus

I have many others and will be sure to ask more on what you answer me, if anyone feels like it.
>>
>>7851440
a lot.

>can a geologically dead planet be "rebooted" somehow, and how is a dead planet a problem
no.

no.

If you anymore questions, please do not hesitate to ask :-)
>>
>>7851446
>and how is a dead planet a problem
>>
New questions:

What's the fastest way to terraform a planet? Suppose you have to make up stuff, à la sci-fi, what would you do?
>>
File: 1351735181352.gif (480KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
1351735181352.gif
480KB, 500x368px
I honestly dont think we NEED to terraform planets if we are able to make habitable enclosures on things like the moon or mars. weve still got a ways to go before commecial low earth orbit travel will be as afordable as a plane ride. once we have that, then we start making moonbases, mars bases, and finally large asteroids in the roid belt, moons of outer plantets (like in kerbal spess programs) would likely be the furthest humans could go with our current and near future level of tech. unless the ayys come down next month and give us starships were stuck with shitty aircans on the sides of desolate rocks. this is all assuming we figure out how to avoid our bodies deteriorating from not being in earth gravity in these enclosures. might be possible now to make artificial gravity floors with this "new" discovery
>>
>>7851594
>(like in kerbal spess programs)

>been playing this for endless hours
>>
What about travelling to distant places? What may be the way to reach planets that are 4000 lightyears away?
>>
>>7851594
Genetic engineering could possibly solve the "humans can't into low/no gravity" problem. Possibly. It would certainly simplify things.

On the other hand that brings up the whole issue of breeding space capable super men in enough quantities to populate space and figuring out what would actually need to be altered in the first place. At that point "nuke Mars to make it spin" doesn't sound as crazy.
>>
>>7851440
More than we have.
Maybe. It'd would probably involve getting another large body and getting them in some kinda of orbit forcing the core and such to be wiggled around by gravity. Practically though, no.
A dead planet is a problem because without an active core you won't have a magnetic field blocking out solar radiation and such. Also life as we know it depends on a dynamic, active planet, since that is the environment it evolved in. Also "dead" planets like Mars can't hold in an atmosphere so any liquid water and such would sublime into space over time.
Maybe, up in the clouds, but there are huge practical issues. I like this idea though, because huge bubbles containing neutral earth type atmosphere could float in the Venutian atmosphere at about the right height to have similar gravity and pressure as Earth. Would be cool as fuck, plus I bet the sunrises/sunsets would be fucking based.
>>
>>7851680
The best way to reach a place 4000 LY distant is to start much closer, say 4000 LY closer.
>>
>>7851681
genetic engineering tech is centuries away from something like that.
>>
>>7851504
Given full access to galactic resources?

I'd smash two planets together to generate a new molten core and construct an artificial crust. I also wouldn't just let all the material fall into the gravity well created by the coalescing planet. Ring colony societies are some of my favorite in the universe. Terraforming is the last worst method you'll ever have to deal with in metastructure/spacial engineering.
>>
>>7851440
>could we live on venus

Very easily. There's a layer in the upper atmosphere with only one atmosphere of pressure and completely a habitable temperature range. It's also high enough above the surface to be safe from acidic storms, but low enough to be shielded from cosmic radiation.
If you were to venture outside a theoretical floating habitat in this layer, you would only need a breathing mask and a parka.
>>
File: ...what.gif (889KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
...what.gif
889KB, 500x286px
>>7854056
u srs?
>>
>>7851440

either a fuckton of resources (why move all the good shit from one planet to another?) or an unreasonable amount of time (millions of years)

sure, smash another planet into it and new shit will start happening

yes, in balloons that float in the high atmosphere, it's already a conceptual idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus#Aerostat_habitats_and_floating_cities
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.