[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is pop science good for science education? Or is it creating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (259KB, 1200x1581px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259KB, 1200x1581px
Is pop science good for science education? Or is it creating a generation of fedora tipping STEM wannabes who'll just end up doing something not related to science after they finish their degrees?
>>
>>7850446
is it good for the board to post the same thread over and over again or is it just shitposting?
>>
>>7850446
> STEM wannabes
More plebs working for us master race I guess
>>
>>7850446
Neither both are second order pandering methods that can only sustain themselves after the nerd demographic has already formed. They feed on the movement rather than accelerate it.
>>
>>7850446
I was in my physics one class yesterday and a CS major was mad that we were using formulas to solve problems.

"Math and Science aren't about plugging and chugging numbers into simple formulas!" he exclaimed to the professor.

He literally looks like a generic fedora tipper.

Jesus.
>>
>>7850446
Why does /sci/ have such a problem with popular science? Want to stroke your ego by keeping science an elite esoteric club that only you are part of? Neck yourself.
>>
>>7850461
+1 for shitposting
>>
It's great for getting you interested. Without the "History of time" book I would have never left my mediocre everything.
Fedoras are not truly interesed and just look for more arguments when debating with strangers over the Internet
>>
>>7850446
>Is pop science good for science education

No. The context-less buzzwords scares kids away making science seem more complicated than it really is and having facts indistinguishably grouped with highly speculative conjectures creates havoc in the mind of the layman of what science confidently believes.
>>
Pop science is good just for keeping up with big advances in other fields. I can't be bothered to read papers for shit I don't actively work on, but reading a nice everyday language article is nice to get the basic idea.
>>
STEM wannabes will always exist.
>>
>>7852550
Only people like veritasium know actually what the fuck is happening. People live with many scientific misconception because school is shit in general. Just saying do you know quantum x does math y doesn't do much to break this misconceptions. You need to attack the root problem and make them learn they are wrong which is really difficult for people who are illiterate at a subject.

There has been an increase in demand on STEM but more and more people enter with a wrong view about the subject in question. I had first semester students who ask me why do they have to take all these boring math classes if they want to study physics, and who can blame them! We have a good start, but except you want everyone to end as a fedora tipper retard, you need to clarify many deep misconception about the subject you are trying to promote in an accesible way.

Hmmm, maybe what I mean by all this is that math needs to have a professional pop-math that shows everyone you will never actually get rid of it, its importance and its beauty
>>
\jewcommand{\t}[1]{\displaystyle{#1 \atop {#1~~#1}}} \t{\t{\t{\t{\t{\t{\t{\triangle}}}}}}}
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.