[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>if you don't understand something intuitively and find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: 1447537216571.png (67KB, 293x231px) Image search: [Google]
1447537216571.png
67KB, 293x231px
>if you don't understand something intuitively and find yourself keep asking for help about it, just give it up

This is probably the best advice I got but too late. I wasted years trying to get good at STEM subjects but to no avail. It was only too late that I realised trying to get good at STEM was essentially a sunk cost fallacy for me. I hope this helps someone who is in the same situation I was. If you're getting stuck and frequently find yourself asking for help for like a math or physics, just drop the subject immediately without thinking twice. Ignore all the people who say "you can do it, anon!". Its a straight up sunk cost fallacy. Don't let it ruin you. Find something you like doing and can realistically get good at.
>>
That is terrible advice, lol

it's not sunk cost because you develop the greatest problem solving ability from struggling through problems and finally solving them with a flash of insight.

I know 4chan is just trolls and people trying to bait eachother with discouraging advice and telling eachother to commit suicide but come on.
>>
>>7848683

>variaton of le have to be a genius for STEM meme
>>
>>7848706
/pol/ talks about this regularly, in a survey done last year 96% of all electrical engineers in the US had IQs above 130.
>>
>>7848759
citation needed
>>
>>7848768
google it faggot
>>
>>7848768

Source your statements faggit.
>>
>>7848759
>>7848759
>/pol/ talks about this regularly
Stopped reading there.
>>
If you don't "get" STEM, start from the basics. I've seen people who are unable to do math or science because they lack the basic knowledge of that subject, especially math since every topic within builds off one another. Buy yourself a high school textbook of whatever subject you don't understand.
>>
>>7848683
Who are you? Seriously, what grants you the authority or the right to effectively sh!t on others' dreams?

Is this how you justify giving up in life? Does this somehow "make it better" for you that you (apparently) either lacked the ability or discipline to follow through on a goal or dream and now are so lonely in your failure that you'll stoop to trying to drag others down with you?
>>
>>7848812
I don't understand this "You're BORN knowing calculus or you're not" mentality here.
>>
>>7848821
Its a sunk cost fallacy to keep putting effort into something that yields no net benefit whatsoever. I'm probably doing some poor smuck a favor by saving them precious time so that they focus on something else more suited to their ability.

>crushing hopes and dreams of muh aspiring STEM wannabes

Yeah, uh...no. I stand at what I said.
>>
>>7849120

Anon, I don't know if you actually believe what you are saying and am inclined to think you are just fucking with us, but know this: this year, I was just hired by a very prestigious university for statistics. In high school, I almost failed Calculus. In undergrad and graduate school, I had to ask so many questions and work very hard in order to understand my subject.

From my experience, it is those who struggle who are the ones who are successful. It is not enough to be talented. You must immerse yourself in the subject, thinking of it all day and night.

Oh, and sometimes great talent can show itself very late in life. I know it did for me.
>>
>>7849160
>almost failed calculus

Sure buddy. Everyone fails exams atleast once after procrastinating away their time till the end. Thats whats retests are for as the grades you are given are inflated enough to let you pass. Its so your course can say they have 100% pass rate above XYZ grade, or whatever they need to maintain their funding applications annually.
>>
>>7848759
Not only is that likely bullshit (give sources), but it doesn't prove anything other than that people with an affinity for pattern recognition are interested in electrical engineering.
>>
>>7849192
>Thats whats retests are for as the grades you are given are inflated enough to let you pass

what the fuck pussy university do you go to? When I went to school you had a midterm and a final. If you failed the midterm you were encouraged to drop out, as you usually needed an A on the final to pass.
>>
>>7849192

>retests

LOL, I just had to laugh. I've taken like 45 STEM classes (mostly engineering, chemical engineering, petroleum engineering, mechanical engineering, math, physics, and chemistry)

I never had a retest before.

Also finals are always worth 50%, so don't try STEM if your a bitch nigga who can't do tests and cries about having test anxiety.
>>
>>7849120
Motherfucker, you wanna stand somewhere in life? You missed your chance to stand in the line for egotistical assholes. But since you like the idea of "standing," try standing in another anon's shoes, one who was born to average intelligence from average parentage in an average slice of life. I'm trying to make something more out of the scoop of shit that is my life since goddamn birth - belligerent violent father, alcoholic mother, foster care, dropped through cracks in the so-called "system" that is American culture, shuttled from one place to another being told as long as I could remember that I was an unwanted mistake until I dropped out of 10th grade barely a year before I wound up in prison where my IQ was tested at 138 and I clawed my way to a GED followed by 3 associates' degrees. After I was released I nearly died the following summer from heat stroke at the only job I could get due to having a felony record. The following year I signed up for a 4-yr apprenticeship with a building trade, during which I saved every slimy little penny I could so I could afford to eat while trying to make something more out of my life other than digging ditches or groveling about in a line of work at which you would not only laughably fail but would quite possibly have lost limbs or died, assuming your spoiled little ass would have lasted more than a week. And you want to try to discourage me? I have survived shit in life you probably couldn't even handle in your most terrifying nightmares, let alone live with every day of your pathetic existence, and you have the audacity to tell me not to bother?
(1/2)
>>
>>7849655

> don't.

Crawl back under your shelf of entitlement.
Go camping with your frat bros and bundle up in your North Face parka.
Take a vacation with your trophy spouse and your perfect little clones.
Do whatever it is you do to feel better or superior, but don't think for a single second you are going to steal my dream.
>>
>>7849526
stfu
retests are a common thing among all STEM.
We read 6 courses every semester, so every third month we have exams in 3 courses and there is always one course for everybody that they hate. For example, i am studying computer science/engineering and I failed so hard on mechanics (except labs) during october month, did the retest in january and passed.
>>
>>7849401
midterm and a final?
What?
>>
>>7848683
>Find something you like doing and can realistically get good at.
Thank you anon. I'm glad to see people are finally waking up from the psionic tyranny of intellectual refutationism.
>>
Watch this!!Honey swallows up the water of the brook!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne8Fm1JqpPc
>>
>>7848821

Its worse to encourage someone to pursue an unrealistic dream. STEM fields have objective minimum standards and some people unfortunately don't measure up.
>>
Thanks for the advice OP. You've convinced me to kill myself as getting good at video games won't earn me a living.
>>
>>7848821
>lacked the ability or discipline to follow through
So you acknowledge that it's possible to fail.
>on a goal or dream
But you didn't manage to notice that OP was saying they didn't actually care about what they've tried to study. Look at the last sentence in the OP and contextualize the message based on that.
>>
>>7848847
>I don't understand this "You're BORN knowing calculus or you're not" mentality here.
It's actually "You're born to GRASP calculus or you're not"

There is such a thing as diminishing results, you know.
>>
>>7849655
>being this over emotional over a b8 post

Do you lack self esteem bro? Don't give out your whole life story like that as you will not get any sympathy. It just makes you look hella weak.

Just keeping doing what you do and ignore the naysayers.
>>
>>7850304

Anything is possible to fail. Einstein failed entry exams and Gothendieck failed astronomy among other things involving mathematics
>>
>>7850293

And who are you to say they will of won't measure up?
>>
>>7850558
>Einstein failed entry exams

This is the biggest fucking myth out there and it really makes me angry its used as justification to spread false hope that "anyone can make it if they try hard enough".
https://www.quora.com/Albert-Einstein/Is-it-true-that-Albert-Einstein-failed-in-mathematics-many-times-during-his-school-days

>>7850561
"Will" alone will not be able to defy genetics bro. Either your neurons are arranged in a way to seamlessly absorb STEM subjects with ease, or not.
>>
Hey /Sci/ I just failed my computer engineering 101 exam. I wrote down all the questions so I can study for the e
Retry exam next month.
If I fail again, I drop out of college and 2 years are down the drain!
Basically, I agree with op. Some things can't be helped. It's not that it's impossible to git gud. It's just that people like me are always going to be lazy and unmotivated, and finding the energy to study for some subjects like Software engineering or Logic or Database systems is easy, because they're fairly intuitive to me, but studying for computer engineering for me is like a 16 year old girl trying not to text anyone for one day
>>
Tfw considering leaving math to go into easier engineering
>>
>>7848771
>References
>just google it lol
This won't go over well with your peers, senfam.

Besides, not giving references for your claim and not being able to produce any upon request makes it look like you're talking out you are ass.
>>
>>7850591

Genetics are not the absolute arbiters of "intelligence". 60% to 40% is environment.

In a space of 2 years I went from not knowing how to do long division to passing integral and differential calculus. Most importantly, I enjoyed myself the entire way and have found new love for a subject.

I thought I "couldn't do math" prior to this. If I listened to you, I'd still walking around believing I can't do math. So, fuck you.

You are talking about people in the abstract and have no way of determining whether someone has the ability or not. Following from that, dissuaded people is an irrational position. One that probably stems from some superiority/inferiority complex of yours.
>>
>>7850613

You're not failing because of intelligence, you're failing because you're a lazy cunt that needs to get thrown into a favela or 3rd world war zone for a week.
>>
>>7850591

It's not a fucking meme retard. He really did fail the general part of the entry exam and did not gain entry.

And Gothendieck failed basic fucking astronomy.

Anyone can fail.
>>
>>7850654
Motivation and natural ability are two entirely different things. You had the motivation to go through shit and come out strong in the end. Others probably don't have that ability because things like depression, ADHD, dxylexia, sudden death of a relative, get in the way.

Don't know why you're making such a big deal about it. So it sounds like you're just bragging about your achievements desu senpai
>>
>>7849192
>retests

What?
>>
J
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.