[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would the world look like if we allowed students to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: plot.png (261KB, 559x559px) Image search: [Google]
plot.png
261KB, 559x559px
What would the world look like if we allowed students to use a CAS like Maple or Mathematica whenever they wanted (i.e. during tests/quizzes) instead of teaching them to memorize algebraic transformations?

As computers become more ubiquitous, doesn't the likelihood that we'd ever be forced to go without these tools tend to zero? I can see a future where some Google Glass kind of device automatically scans and parses mathematical formula we look at and allows us to simplify/plot/solve/etc. them, so at some point things are going to get to the point where students are doing this anyway.
>>
>>7848022
tell me, what is the purpose of exercises? Doing them yields no tangible reward so it's not like you're getting anywhere either way. The whole point is to gain understanding and intuition.
>>
The most important thing to learn in college is how to think logically and criticality. The solution is not the end game and memorization is not higher learning.
>>
>>7848027
>tell me, what is the purpose of exercises?
Well in most cases it's just about applying "standard algorithmic technique #406" to a problem for the hundredth time. Allowing the use of software that makes this trivial would force teachers to ask better questions of their students.
>>
>>7848034
I'm not just talking about college, I'm saying start at the bottom with this stuff.
>>
>>7848022
Shit in, shit out. If we gave children the ability to rely on ambiguously calculated formulas, they will increasingly produce more and more ambiguous answers.

It's like CAD, everything is done in CAD. Students design an test in CAD all the time. These faggots constantly make parts that cannot be manufactured, calculations are retarded and unrealistic, yet they print it out and show it off because they built it in a program.
>>
>>7848022
The plotte is what?
Tells about this plote m, please
>>
>>7848022
That's what personal projects are for and why CS is truly the master race of STEM

in b4 some faggy butthurt engineer claims his ability to do row reduction on a 15x15 matrix by hand makes him more valuable than a guy who can implement a fast algorithm for it
>>
>>7848039
Don't take it out on him that you're doing the wrong fuckin exercises and reading the wrong fuckign books.
>>
>>7848969
>>7848022
Now, pleasse tell us about thises plotte you pÄsted
interesting! to look, at plote
>>
>>7849017
>>7848022
is it, the quantum plots? maybe
it tells us fractal natrure of universes
>>
File: 1446587476037.png (20KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
1446587476037.png
20KB, 800x750px
as a mathematician, this is my fantasy
all of the engineers would need software that solves things for them
software engineers won't know how to make that software, so they will either need to hire me, or i could just make the software myself
and then, when the software doesn't solve their stuff, they will need to hire me to either work out the computation manually, or fix the software
then one day when all of the software stops working by a fortunate accident, mathematicians will be in such high demand that we could charge anything we wanted for our services

basically i get a lot of new ways to make money
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.