[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I stopped caring about math when I was introduced to the concept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 1454993609313.png (45KB, 596x658px) Image search: [Google]
1454993609313.png
45KB, 596x658px
I stopped caring about math when I was introduced to the concept of imaginary numbers. What a crock of shit. If your equation can only be solved by inventing numbers that can't exist, like some kind of math deity , then you are fucking wrong and the math is flawed. Same for algebra solutions that basically say "the correct answer is whatever the correct answer is". Thats what the math said transcribed to words but god forbid if i wrote in down in english instead of the ancient math runes the teacher word mark me wrong.

Math is logical and numbers never lie my ass. Math is just as flawed as any other human construct.
>>
>>7846556
Here's your (You)
>>
>>7846556
I realized imaginary numbers were real when working on precession. a 2D number plane is the only way to explain it. You see precession is all about addition of angular momentum causing a rotation. How can you add something to get a rotation on a 1 dimensional number line? There must be a second dimension orthogonal to it that it goes through in order to end up rotated.
>>
>>7846556
Oh man, I guess Electrical Engineering is bullshit then, wonder how all those electronics ended up working when designed if imaginary numbers are a crock.
>>
>>7846911
It's an engineering, therefore it's bullshit.
>>
t. Engineer (IQ 107)
>>
>>7846913
nice meemee
>>
In retrospect, maybe labeling them as "imaginary" was a bad idea. It seems to confuse the plebs.
>>
>>7846911
you can do phasors with vectors, making them complex is simply formalizing them as a value on the number plane.
>>
>>7846927
95% sure the name imaginary was given to them by some guy who wrote a paper shit talking the concept but it stuck. It is a very very bad name. You are correct.
>>
>>7846944
What's worse is the "imaginary" unit is denoted as i. I'm pretty sure it was also formalized by an electrical engineer to, just to make it worse.
>>
File: 1454479398823.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1454479398823.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
>>7846913
>>7846916
>>7846920
>>7846927
>>7846933
>>7846944
>>7846952
high quality posting right here if i do say so myself
>>
>>7846952
engineers actually use the symbol j

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIstpPXKWng
>>
File: 1337585698715.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1337585698715.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
Math is about ideas, fuck numbers.
>>
>>7846988
This, I don't even think of complex numbers as numbers. They're the subalgebra of linear operators R^2 to R^2 generated by dialations and rotations, or R[X]/(X^2 + 1) if you want to be fancy.
>>
>>7847017
But are they imaginary dilations and rotations?
>>
>>7847034
No, that's the point. If you believe in the plane and you believe that you can move points on the plane around you should believe in complex numbers.
>>
>>7847039
I was just joking. You're preaching to the choir.
>>
>>7846905
>2D

Nothing in nature is 2D.
>>
>>7846556

I stopped caring about physics when I was introduced to the concept of Calculus. What a crock of shit. If your equation can only be solved by inventing fields of math that can't get you laid, like some kind of math autist , then you are fucking wrong and the physics is flawed. Same for math solutions that basically say "the correct answer is whatever actually follows the directions". Thats what the physics said transcribed to words but god forbid if i wrote in down incorrectly instead of the ancient math runes the teacher word mark me wrong.

Physics is logical and numbers never lie my ass. Physics is just as flawed as any other human construct.

I stopped caring about everything when I was introduced to the concept of life. What a crock of shit. If your happiness can only be solved by inventing friends that can't exist, like some kind of chad , then you are fucking successful and the life is great. Same for life solutions that basically say "it gets better".

Life is fun and every day is a gift my ass. Life is just as flawed as any other human construct.
>>
>>7847317
A shadow is.
>>
>>7846556
god /sci/ is just /b/ with academia-flavoured copypasta, isn't it?
>>
i stopped caring about maths when my maths teacher molested me.
>>
Solutions in the complex plane always contain the reals. Therefor complex numbers are always a valid extension to physical problems.
>>
>>7848898
Its for people who like dank memes, but they've done too much STEM to appreciate any other board.
>>
Math is a fucking hoax. How can Real numbers be uncountable if Rationals are countable?
Between every real there is always a rational, and between every rational there is always a real. So they have the same cardinality.

Math is complete bulshit
>>
>>7848849
I stopped caring about physics when i was introduced to Quantum Mechanics, what a sack of shit, i'm too stupid to find the position of subatomic particles, so i just assume that they can't be found.

Chemistry is logical and the equations never lie my ass
Chemistry is flawed as any other human construct
>>
>>7846556
what is the benis bear with long legs called
>>
>>7848863
Not if you consider the surface of the object it's cast on
>>
>>7846556
I can make up "imaginary" number too. Doesn't make them real.
>>
>>7849038
it's a gondola.

Best case of meme mutation ever seen, from internet-tier meme to fine-art.
>>
Zero isn't a natural number. Sqrt(2) and PI aren't either. Math is a language we use to describe things in a useful way and it changes over time because we learn more about what we want to represent.
>>
>>7846556
I wish people would stop thinking of imaginary numbers as numbers. They make significantly more sense when thought of as matrices. Also, I wish that educators would stress that there are literally infinite number systems like complex numbers and that extending the real numbers isn't unusual. Also, I wish they would stress that math is only a system of tools and and numbers don't actually exist (some may disagree).
>>
>>7846952
Actually it was formalized by Euler.
>>
>>7846556
Aside from being useful for solving electrical circuits, they are also useful in complex analysis.

You can solve REAL variable integrals by using the residue theorem. Why would you use complex-variable integrals to solve real ones? because sometimes solving real integrals is reaaally fucking hard, even if you have wolfram alpha.
>inb4 real integrals are also useless
>>
File: b.png (14KB, 321x581px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
14KB, 321x581px
>>7849913
Thank (you), may I have another?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.