[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it take six years to teach kids addition, subtraction,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: FB_IMG_1431243575508.jpg (90KB, 720x708px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1431243575508.jpg
90KB, 720x708px
Why does it take six years to teach kids addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions?

What things should be taught in elementary?
>>
because kids are dumb
>>
Basket weaving tag hop skotch memes beyblade and yugioh.
>>
File: science and math ed.png (119KB, 1216x970px) Image search: [Google]
science and math ed.png
119KB, 1216x970px
>>7846302
>Why does it take six years to teach kids addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions?

Because teachers hate math and try to skirt teaching it as much as possible.

>What things should be taught in elementary?

Arithmetic, Algebra, and Logic
>>
>>7846317
Where will kids find time to socialize, have hobbies, and get involved with their community?
>>
>>7846452
>implying teaching algebra to a kid takes time
>>
>>7846452

[math] After ~ and ~ between [/math] class. Class time should be for [math] learning. [/math]
>>
>>7846302
Because the general theory is that cognitive development isn't ideal for the application of maths beyond those basics until later years. That is why we get times tables and fun rules for remembering.

I think you could teach basic calc to children, but their ability to comprehend it beyond "multiply this, then subtract" would render it useless. Now middle school is another can of worms, years of basic algebra with no linear algebra integration is wasted time.
>>
>>7846774
They should teach kids compound interest by elementary grade 6, the most powerful force in the universe. Its absence in the curriculum is suspicious. In fact the entire subject of banking is omitted which explains why students are running up massive debts many will never be able to pay off. World is fairly Machiavellian today.
>>
>>7846787

I agree wholeheartedly that personal finance should be a required part of the curriculum, but there's no real point in teaching it that early. 6th graders can't take out loans.

Also your tinfoilery is dumb. Banks don't benefit if you "never pay off your debts." Nobody does.
>>
>>7846492
After and before class you should be studying.
>>
>>7846302
>Why does it take six years

Because the curriculum is meant for average and below average kids. High IQ testers get put into better programs that teach at a far faster speed.
>>
>>7846317
Needs algebraic and arithmetic algebra, quantum computing, homotopy type theory, electrophysiology, coding ghc extensions, Japanese and Ithkuil language acquisition, literary analysis of Finnegans Wake, and web development in Malbolge.
>>
File: usury.jpg (56KB, 680x430px) Image search: [Google]
usury.jpg
56KB, 680x430px
>>7846802
>tinfoilery
Regarding compound interest?
I was not even indoctrinated with the great Abrahamic sky fairy tales from the holy lands but understand why baby Jeebus lost his shit with the money changers in the temple. Usury has been destroying monetary systems quite regularly for over 1000 years now - since the crusades in the west actually whilst helping the rich grow even richer.

The mathematical principles behind usury are very important me thinks, and would not require any more of a foundation that basic arithmetic skills to understand. Economic slavery for most of the world is pretty serious business.
>>
>>7846842
Wouldn't make a difference. Kids are taught compound, continuous and simple interest in school, it's on the SAT, it's not new to them. The problem is that society tells them success hinges on $200k of debt.
>>
File: 1452730331813.png (433KB, 360x408px) Image search: [Google]
1452730331813.png
433KB, 360x408px
>>7846842
>APR: 4932%
>>
>>7846842
>Regarding compound interest?

Yeah, and specifically your implication that someone (I guess banks?) is deliberately keeping people ignorant of it.

>I was not even indoctrinated with the great Abrahamic sky fairy tales from the holy lands but understand why baby Jeebus lost his shit with the money changers in the temple. Usury has been destroying monetary systems quite regularly for over 1000 years now - since the crusades in the west actually whilst helping the rich grow even richer.

Quite the opposite. Credit makes the economy run. And it's critical to the poor becoming less poor. Christian and Muslim opposition to "usury" actually held back the poor quite a bit and propped up the aristocracy for centuries.

Understanding finance would NOT mean that you don't use credit, it would mean that you use it productively. Which, again, is in everyone's best interest.
>>
>>7846787
>tfw 24
>tfw been to two universities
>tfw still don't have a clue what APR is.
The Jews are keeping this shit more hushed up than Roswell.
>>
>>7846938
credit just inflates government deficit. it's the worst thing possible, especially when you look at employment:graduate ratios.
>>
>>7846968

You don't seem to know what the words you are using mean.
>>
>>7846302
Humans have really bad brains when they are children thats why we take our slow time teaching them things, then kick it into high gear once middle school comes.
>>
>>7846898
>simple interest
It's funny because when it was introduced soon after the completion of the crusades to redistribute all that wealth it was kept at a maximum of %3 simple interest. Any violators were quickly decapitated because it was apparently a serious defense. I reckon this was because the powers that be knew the ramifications of interest and service charges soon eating the original principle could wreak absolute havoc in the monetary system through run away inflation and didn't want to see that unfold in their lifetime, leaving it to the next generation to deal with.

>>7846902
Yeah, that is no joke, neither is %29 compounded as many credit card users discover soon caught in debt traps from which they sometimes don't even escape with their life. These rates and like pic related, some obscene rates are standard practice now.

>>7846938
Don;t get me wrong, I am all for the expansion of credit, this was how the Bank of England expanded the British Empire originally employing interest free loans from what I understand.

Now that the global economy is intertwined with the interest running on the mysterious 50 trillion of debt, another global financial collapse is virtually guaranteed with out massive debt forgiveness. Instead we see QE and more money supply inflation through debt. The notion of saving up for something seemingly into the trash. We are heading into some interesting times...a Chinese curse!

Another twist thrown into the mix is the petrodollar, energy is life, paper money no so much as has become apparent already in the 21st century. The US dollar is strong because it has an enormous goon in the shape of a military industrial complex to back it up, in a way saying to the world, go ahead, try and collect that debt! Kids don't know shit today and they may never get a chance until it's too late, let's get real.
>>
>>7846824
This. If you don't reach this conclusion then you are dumb.
>>
>>7846991
That's why you can't teach a kid 3 languages... O shit
>>
>>7847073
Kids learning languages fast has to do with our instinct to automatically recognize any audible communication between our species at a young age not intelligence.
>>
>>7846317
that program might work if kids literally lived at school and had class for 12 hrs/day
>>
>>7846774
>years of basic algebra with no linear algebra integration is wasted time

this, so much this

students should be introduced to multi variable algebra and vectors as soon as they understand what coordinates are
>>
>>7846963
you are an idiot

APR stand for Annual Percentage Rate

it is the percentage of a loan balance that will be accumulated over the course of 1 year, whether you be lendor or debtor.

typically it is divided by 12 to produce a monthly rate. when calculating your loan payment for a month they take your remaining balance, multiply by the monthly percentage rate,
that is what you owe in interest, anything else you pay goes toward paying down the total owed, which reduces the interest payment for the next month.

most bankers use jewish sorcery (and algebra) to structure your payments such that your monthly balance stays the same as you pay off the loan

like this:

interest balance
----------/---------------------------
---------/----------------------------
--------/-----------------------------
-------/------------------------------
------/-------------------------------
-----/--------------------------------
----/---------------------------------
---/----------------------------------
--/-----------------------------------
-/------------------------------------
/-------------------------------------

make sense?
>>
>>7846938
>Credit makes the economy run. And it's critical to the poor becoming less poor.
Accumulated wealth make the economy run. Financial shenanigans siphon it off and keep the labor pool from building up their own supply.

>Christian and Muslim opposition to "usury" actually held back the poor quite a bit and propped up the aristocracy for centuries.
The jews were equally opposed to usury. They just regarded non-jews as subhuman and therefore acceptable targets. Eventually, the mighty stopped fighting them and learned their methods.

The world is dominated by credit-heavy economies because debt is the most effective way to make people serve you while also motivating them to maximize their productivity. Controlling people is what lets you have power.

Debt-masters get more out of their human cattle than feudal lords or slave drivers do, so they win wars.

Truly free people make themselves productive and comfortable, but don't concentrate power well enough to fight off their would-be masters. The rhetoric of freedom in the most powerful countries of the world simply indicates that deceivers and manipulators are doing better than brute-force dominators. People who believe they're free work harder, even when they're steered to serve their betters.
>>
>>7846302
There's too much other useless shit
school should literally just be core classes math, language, history, science

Just fire all of the other teachers and give the core teachers better pay tbqh. Also get rid of the teachers union.
>>
>>7847458
There should be some arts and proper computing classes
>>
Rate of change. Even if its just the idea of change, mathematically. How things change defines mathematics. Teach change.
>>
>>7846302
>What things should be taught in elementary?
Waaaaay ahead of you.

London bridge is falling down~
>>
Three words: Mixed ability classes
The current educational system focusses too much on trying to get people working together and making sure that nobody feels left out until the mid-teens.
Looking back on primary school, I learnt nothing of value outside of maths. Even science was pretty basic and useless (e.g. "This week: Energy is used to power our homes!"), because we had to go at the pace of the slowest learners. In secondary school, we were never stretched very much, and ended up learning a lot more useless stuff (Religious studies, PE, English literature, Drama (until age 14), etc. were all compulsory). The best stuff we got out of secondary school (which was still quite terrible) was all from STEM, which (as you may guess) was in separated ability groups.
>In summary; schools are too bothered about being PC and equal. If you want smart kids, teach them yourself.

>>7847510
Computing, yes. Arts, no. They're unnecessary and should only exist as electives.
Maybe some lessons on how taxes and the economy works would help. I don't care what the Bible says about friendship; tell me more about how to not get into legal trouble with my earnings in the future.
>>
>>7848376
I read this as: I struggled to make friends, was offended by religion and found solace in my math class.

>How you want your thread senpai?
Just sperg it all up
>>
>>7848376
>>7847458
>school should literally just be core classes math, language, history, science

>Arts, no. They're unnecessary and should only exist as electives.

What the fuck am I reading? Do you wish to remove some of the only subjects that a lot of kids actually enjoy with school and reduce it to a dreadfully boring place which will kill of any and all interest in education? I sincerely hope people like you never get in any position to decide matters like these.

Quite frankly, maths should throw out a bunch of the mandatory currciculum. Think of it this way, for the vast majority of the population, even those studying engineering and "math"-related applications, forget nearly all math they have learned in a very short time. If the goal is to learn nothing, then they should at least learn nothing and have some fun. Focus on actual problem solving, history have an immense number of interesting problems and patterns for kids to work out. A bunch of those works fine for elementary classes at the very least. That way we can teach maths and at least try to get somewhat more motivated students. The end result is virtually the same anyways.
>>
>>7846317
>Because teachers hate math and try to skirt teaching it as much as possible.
Literally this. In my masters program for elementary education, I took a class on teaching math, and the first day the professor took a survey on who liked math, and who thought they were good at math. 80% of the future educators either disliked math or thought they were bad at math.
>>
>>7846452
Sundays between 14:15 and 15:05. But only when they have finished their homework
>>
>>7846774
If you read the studies you will find that it is not an inability to do abstract mathematical reasoning, simply the speed at which they are able to do so.

This deficiency disappears around age 16-18. So either we should hold off on teaching algebra until college, or we should start teaching it to children. Beginning at 12-13 is stupid and helps no one.

p.s. holding off until college is also fucking stupid.
>>
>>7846302
In the Netherlands, during the 80s, we learned to add and subtract multiple digit numbers in the equivalent of kindergarten. I believe in the USA that is introduced in the second or third grade.
>>
>>7848509
I was actually referring to inductive vs deductive reasoning skills in which young children can easily pick up set rules and formulates, but the ability to apply and use these is limited until the brain can deduce their uses in unique cases. Hence why I suggested they could learn calculus, but would have a hard time applying it. Given various spacial reasoning constraints, I think geometry would be a nightmare to kids as well.
>>
>>7848491
>kids actually like arts in school
lmao
>>
>>7850048
Back in high school we had to take an art class and pass at least 1 semester of it if we wanted to graduate, pretty retarded I know. But fuck that was the worst year of my life and I took the easiest elective which was music. First and last art class I'll ever take, do I recommend it? No. If you want an easy A though, go ahead. I slept most of the classes and remember barely anything from it.
>>
>>7848512
Second grade multiplication and division are introduced, nice try, Ahmed.
>>
>>7848512
Kindergarteners only learn addition and subtraction and in 1st grade they do the same shit but apparently with "bigger numbers" as what they like call it. (Basically, any number over 100)
>>
When I was 8 I was able to teach a 6 year old multiplication in under an hour.

>>7847115
no need, just reduce summer vacation to 1 month instead of 3.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.