[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All the joking aside, what IS causing the rise in autism spectrum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 7

File: Autism.jpg (1MB, 5246x3037px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.jpg
1MB, 5246x3037px
All the joking aside, what IS causing the rise in autism spectrum disorders? It's like 1 in 45 now.
>>
>>7844468
4chan during pregnancy
>>
>>7844472
kek
>>
Vaccines
>>
>>7844468
Isn't it due to pregnancy and some sort of pesticides? Thought I read that somewhere probably bullshit.
>>
>>7844468
Autism doesn't exist

Quacks are diagnosing anyone who can go longer than 5 minutes with their thoughts without tasering themselves as autistic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/07/people-prefer-electric-shocks-to-being-alone-with-their-thoughts/373936/
>>
>>7844468
The fact that the majority of babies born are black or mexican and not asian or white.
>>
File: down syndrome.png (34KB, 706x1184px) Image search: [Google]
down syndrome.png
34KB, 706x1184px
Rising age of new parents
>>
>>7844468
Autism?

More like, these-people-give-me-attention-if-I-act-stupid-ism.

being-different-ism.

people-seem-to-associate-asbergers-with-intelligence-so-im-going-to-tell-people-i-have-it-ism.

unless youre paraphrasing real medical research, then idk
>>
>>7844506
People just act autistic...for the benefits? I find that hard to believe.
>>
>>7844506
>More like, these-people-give-me-attention-if-I-act-stupid-ism.
>gets 2 replies
>>
>>7844514
Why?
People do it with ADHD, OCD, and Insomnia.
>>
>>7844523
I thought it was one of the most stigmatized conditions and makes life miserable.
>>
People in the medical and scientific community love overdiagnosing. It gives them money.
>>
>>7844488
and anyone who can't with ADD
>>
There are two main raisons:
1. A broadening of the definition of autism spectrum disorders
2. An increase in the number of families who have children tested.
>>
>>7844468
False diagnosis
>>
>>7844468
memes
>>
>>7844468
genes
>>
>>7844488
>>7844499
>>7844588
dubs
>>
>>7844468
The recent rise of 30 year old cock carousel riders giving birth.
>>
>>7844539
No, that's schizophrenia.
>>
>>7844499
best answer so far
>>
>>7844472
That's not funny. My brother got autism that way.
>>
>>7844468
Widening the spectrum.
Seriously, it's just that.

You aren't a shy child anymore; you're on the autism spectrum. New methods of classification allow more children to fall into that group and more accurate diagnosis of children that would have fallen into it under traditional guidelines anyway.
>>
>>7844540
Not really. You are probably thinking of big pharma.

>>7844706
>New methods
That is more likely. It has been seen in the past that when new diagnosis becomes more commonly known the diagnosis skyrockets, ref. ADD, ADHD, OCD and more.

More cases are know but that does not necessarily mean that more cases occur.
>>
>>7844468
Like cancer it that it's detected more often not that more people are getting it
>>
>>7844543
Kek
>>
>>7844468

People not getting enough parental attention and lack of honesty from peers leading people to act in a way which is stupid but enables them to "fit in" with out actually fitting in
>>
>>7844468

Being overly logical and thinking for oneself is autistic behaviour now and have a discussion about things which actually matter
>>
>>7844488

Is true
>>
>>7844468
>what is causing all the autism?
Your mom's not keeping her legs shut
>>
>>7844499
My mom was 24 when she had me and I still was born autistic. Fucking genetic lottery.
>>
>>7844521
#rekt
>>
>>7844553
>raisons
Someone's got it.
>>
A lot of people with Social Anxiety Disorder mistakenly get diagnosed with Autism. Simple as that.
>>
>>7844468
It's always been prevalent in humans. Autism just didn't become a problem for people until the 20th century when society started rapidly changing & left them behind.

Psychology still has a long way to go as a field, so this number is going to keep changing until we actually understand the brain. Point is, autism isn't increasing in prevalence - society is becoming hypersocial.
>>
>>7846974
i have two co-workers with autistic kids. The woman showed me vids of her 'non-verbal' autistic kid and it kinda freaked me out. This shit is not all bullshit. This kid i was watching had some form of mental disorder no doubt. I did some basic research and found many medical scientist connect autism to a failing immune system. Some cases are have actually been cured by fixing a childs immune system by taking certain foods out of their diets and re-introducing them. On one hand i want to experiment with he kids and see what is actually wrong with them, but on another hand if i approach her saying that her's children mental issues are non-genetic, i think she would get extremely offended and think i am accusing her of being an unfit parent.
>>
>>7847009
Autism can still be genetic though. But autism CAN be caused by Vitamin D deficiency. Like those people who stay in their house for 2 weeks straight playing World of Craft and have next to no melanin in their skin. And autism is more than a social disorder. It affects the body physically and other ways mentally. Like emotions and memory and people with increased bone density.
t. assburgers
>>
>>7847009
> I did some basic research
>>
it's an artifact of diagnosis
/thread
>>
>>7844468
>what IS causing the rise in autism spectrum disorders
The invention of the term "autism spectrum disorders".
>>
Could be anything, like heavy metals or pesticides. Might not exist.
>>
Playing video games excessively can cause symptoms of autism and schizophrenia. No joke.
>>
>>7847071
[citation required]
>>
>>7844468
being white and american.
>>
>>7847105
It was an article on /news/ I read that said excessive video game use can simulate the impulsiveness and sensory awareness that people with autism and schizophrenia have. Specifically fast paced shooters, racing games, etc.
>>
There's no doubt that non verbal autism is a serious handicap, but Asperger's and High functioning autism is a completely american construct.
>>
File: 1453827594693.jpg (27KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
1453827594693.jpg
27KB, 500x367px
Should I be worried if Iv seen my brother playing video games reactes with hand flapping when too excited?also repeats things to himself, as if he's checking what he says before he says it
>>
>>7847134
Shut the fuck up faggot.
>>
>>7844468

To be fair here, everyone says that 'autism' is a bad thing; as far as I understand, they are children, who are just entering the time of their life when they become "conscience" of themselves. I see billboards all the time "Avoiding eye contact is a sign of autism"; but the idea of avoiding eye contact, which is a bit confrontational in nature, be a natural reaction to a logical being? Since autistic children tend to be more proficient at math and math related fields, wouldn't we (at least on /sci/) think of it as a good thing?
>>
back in the day people were just considered stupid or narcisstic when in fact they were just having a mild form of autism. nowadays because everyone has a new word for them to label the stats are rising
>>
>>7847141

>He likes to make sure what he is going to say isn't fucking retarded

I wish I had that reflex.
>>
Society imposes too much pressure and stress. People work without purpose in life, they just do it to pay bills and buy random crap, and whenever they go to "relax" it's all fake laughs and taking drugs to "feel good". In the end they're only fooling themselves about their meaningless existance.
>>
>>7847141
how old is he?

i did that shit too when i was like 12. i still do it from time to time when im all alone in my flat.

grew out of being a sperg in public though.
i have no autism though, just mild social problems when i was a teenie
>>
>>7847148
You've obviously never met someone with severe autism.
>>
>>7847155
He says it under his breath not to draw attention as if certain people wont notice, I don't know if it's autism or something these.He also makes sound effects when day dreams when he's bored.
>>
>>7847000
I'll go with that, I hear tell the human brain hasn't even had time and sufficient generations to even evolve away from the hunter gather mentality. That marketing gurus have been using this knowledge to great effect for the last few generations.

I knew before I hit puberty there was something seriously wrong with humanity but can deal with it because life is short with no shortage of entertainments. Autistic peeps take it to a whole new level and shutdown me thinks.

>>7847015
>Vitamin D
If that were the case all the equatorial people shipped into the northern hemisphere over the last century would be a case of mass autism, really it's just rickets and AIDS, maybe more things yet to be discovered by they don't come off as autistic to me. To the contrary, like rowdy social concrete jungle monkeys.
>>
>>7847172
he's 21,he's been going the hand thing FOREVER,as far as I remember.
>>
>>7847175
>else
>>
>>7847185
well hes either a mad black woman or he might have a mild form of autism. but as long as he functions within a social society you shouldnt worry.
>>
>>7847191
Whom are you quoting?
>>
premature birth rates?
>>
>>7844499
>triomies
How could they have missed this when that was what their data was about?
>>
File: 1454104433729.jpg (112KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1454104433729.jpg
112KB, 800x800px
>>7844488
I just read this article. Am I autistic? I sometimes sit on my chair and stare at a blank screen or a wall while thinking about stuff for multiple hours at a time. I can't believe the average person can't even do this for 10 minutes.
>>
>>7847133
Great documentation, dipshit.
>>
>>7844523
You get bad ass pills for those disabilities
>>
>>7844468
Compound overdiagnosis; everyone's diagnosing it because it's popular to diagnose it because pretty much everyone's doing it.

Also: An autistic person will always give a diagnosis of autism. Unrelated.
>>
Has anyone ever researched if it is an effect of no longer using corporal punishment and smacking?
>>
autism falls into one category now called autism spectrum disorders.

plus the diagnosis has gotten better over the years.
>>
>>7844637
kek
>>
>>7847230
Yep, and not only that, you have the harshest type too,
>autismus maximilianius
>>
2012 intergalactic harmonic frequency shift 4th dimensional pole change. New breed to replace older animalistic humans to usher in the golden age of peace, freedom and individuality.

If you're not autistic this new world is not for you.
>>
Vaccines, seriously

My wife's son got diagnosed after receiving his.
>>
File: 1448617448697.gif (360KB, 490x750px) Image search: [Google]
1448617448697.gif
360KB, 490x750px
>>7847016
retard
>>
>>7847829
>humans become 100% autistic in the future
>???
What the fuck happens next, I don't know.
>>
>>7847749
I was beaten as a child and still have autism. I still have the marks.
>>
>>7847954
>Humanity ascends to full-autism, rejoining with the universe

Autism confirmed for next stage in human evolution.
>>
>>7847230
The average person ins't in jail.
>>
During childhood, synapses begin to be pruned. More stimulating environments lead to less pruning and heavier brains. Autistics display less pruning, suggesting that a highly stimulating environment either causes autism or promotes innate autism.

Going out on a limb, epigenetics may have something to do with it.
>>
>>7848015
Autists confirmed for geniuses?
>>
>>7844499

roasties btfo
>>
File: 1430770162847.jpg (168KB, 500x818px) Image search: [Google]
1430770162847.jpg
168KB, 500x818px
Everyone over age 25 remembers when ADD was the fashionable mental illness. Now autism is in style. In the old days they just called it being weird.
>>
>>7844506

special snowflake syndrome
>>
>>7847230

rare popo
>>
>>7848023

They have too much brain, and it all fizzles out as the autistic attempts to go in every direction at once. Functional autistics may gain some benefit, but they can never stop thinking and sit down to convey their ideas to other people - all they can do is lecture, never exchange fairly.

The only place an autistic isn't maladaptive is in a tomb they call their house.
>>
>>7844468
Increased diagnosis
the age of mothers
america's autistic generation of vaccinated children
aspartame
LED screens
>>
>>7844468
Better diagnostics.
Before kids would be diagnose with blanket "mental retardation". Now these people are correctly identified as autists.

Keep in mind that autism is a spectrum of disorders. Only people on the severe end of the spectrum will be unable to have an independent life style.
>>
>>7848046
>fucking triggered
I'm not autistic because it's popular you dumb faggot. Why would I want attention if I can barely socialize with people? Kill yourself.
>>
Imageboard meme magic
>>
>>7844472
daily reminder that first post is always best post
>>
>>7847016
>experiment monkey
>research
>>
>go to 4 different psychologists
>only one diagnosed me as antisocial
>the other three said i have autism or aspergers
>total cost of the 4 visits was close to $2000
The one that diagnosed me as antisocial is the only one I didn't tell I'm a math major
I wish to continue this experiment but it's really expensive
>>
>>7844484
underrated
>>
>>7844506
The dumbest people I have ever met in my life have almost been exclusivity high functioning ASD
I have ASD and have been forced to hang with these people since I was very young. mark my words there is no link between autism and intelligence.
>>
Because autism is "cool". You aren't autistic, you are just a faggot.
>>
>>7849373
we all know your real experiment is lying on the internet and seeing if you get replies
>>
>>7849373
Trying to get those NEETbux so you can continue shitposting about CS majors all day instead of getting a lucrative career in the food preparation industry, huh?
>>
>>7844617
And yet if you still get people on /r/schizophrenia and all around claiming they are schizophrenic or pushing they're "symptoms" until other people admit they are "schizophrenic".
>>
>>7847158
>deep bro

Seriously why do edgy kids like u even browse /sci/. GTFO
>>
Awareness through internet memes and media causing more people to get tested.
>>
>>7848054
Basically the basis of autism. You hit it right on the head. The non-verbal autists have so much running through their minds they can't verbalize it, as the more information processing in the mind the more trouble one has going through conveying these thoughts in a lingual format. Couple that with the executive functioning error and you either get nothing or you get a jumble of words in monotone speech which doesn't make sense due to them disconnecting from their bodies in face of overly-intense sensory information. Those with neurotypical functioning do not see all of this information and amalgamation of possibilities.
>>
>>7847175
Sounds a lot like an autistic kid I know.
>>
>>7844468
The complete and total collapse of the baseless British ideal of normalcy and proper discipline.
>>
>>7844488

AIDS doesnt exist because everyone gets a cold
>>
>>7844488
H2O doesnt exist because everyone drinks water
>>
>>7847133
>playing games increases situational awareness and reaction/reaction-time.
>schizophrenics have this
>GAMES DID SCHIZOPHRENIA
kill yourself
>>
>>7844487
Direct studies show that it could be related to stress levels during pregnancy.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.