[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Like, when will I ever need to know [insert basic mathematical/scientific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 1920x1080px
>Like, when will I ever need to know [insert basic mathematical/scientific concept here]?

This makes my blood fucking boil. What else do dullards say that offends you beyond any reasonable measure?
>>
>>7843989
this:

>>Like, when will I ever need to know [insert basic mathematical/scientific concept here]?
>This makes my blood fucking boil. What else do dullards say that offends you beyond any reasonable measure?
>>
I never hear people say that because I'm not in highschool anymore.
>>
>>7843998
>implying there aren't people like this in uni
Some proffs get so sad :(
>>
>>7844000
>>implying there aren't people like this in uni
There aren't.
>>
>>7844004
Maybe it's because you can't talk to people anon.
>>
>>7844008
>n-n-no you

Just fuck off to /b/ you underage fag
>>
america should adopt a system where either faggots pledge loyalty to science and math or GTFO to language arts or soft sci, or arts or trades.
>>
>>7843989
I generally don't get angry when people say stupid shit.
also, if you can't provide an example on how the subject they're complaining about has practical applications you don't have a right to put yourself on a high horse
>>7843998
also this
>>7844000
and no there really aren't people like that in uni. you are underage
>>
>>7844008
don't think I've ever heard anyone say that at uni desu

maybe you should have gone to a better university :^)
>>
>I didnt do well on the test because [insert any other class in their schedule] is consuming my life
>>
>I'm an atheist!
>>
>I am ttly so fucken mad when other ppl r stupid because I'm so smartt XXDD
>>
(pure) math major. should I ask this in my (very applied and oriented heavily towards engineers) calculus class just to fuck with the prof or TA?
>>
>>7844066
It will give you a bad reputation
>>
>>7844066
>pure math major
>very applied engineer calc class
You're doing something wrong
>>
>>7844082
Not necessarily. At my university, all math majors take the same calculus courses as the engineers which is a shitty project-based non-rigorous treatment
>>
>>7844090
It is still shit.
>>
>>7844094
Yes, it's shitty. Not necessarily the student's fault, though
>>
>>7844000
Exactly why we should eliminate liberal arts from campus.
>>
>>7844090
> be math major
> don't get into the Honors Calc series

Sounds like you're the shitty non-rigorous treatment.
>>
>>7844235
Not him but we don't even have a separate honors calc course at my school. The only programs that they really advertise at my school are engineering and nursing, so the other departments get a little neglected.
>>
>>7843989

In highschool I had to take a lot of easy math clases just to graduate

I spent like 4 semester sitting around in clases I could probably have taught.

People would ask the wrong questions that show they don't get the big picture, and the teachers would attempt to answer them every time.

I feel like math clases in highschool could benefit from forcing the math teachers to improvise more, and spend some time teaching non common core lessons
>>
Why does it make you mad?
I agree that most of my friends from high school will never need to know how or why to use integration/differentiation, or how to take the cross product of a vector field, etc.
>>
>>7844000
trips checked f4m
>>
>>7844575
*blushes*
lol ur cute af
>//u//<
>>
File: Nietzsche187c.jpg (2MB, 1956x2940px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187c.jpg
2MB, 1956x2940px
Its a legitimate concern if they don't actually need to ever know it
>>
>>7844341

im a physics major but here's my blog about my "experience" with honors freshmen calc (actually when I entered uni I was engineering, whether this reinforces the point or not is up to you)

>2 semesters of condensed calc 3, linalg, and odes (relatively proof-based, freshman level anyway)
>have to have up to calc 2 AP/IB credit, 800 math SAT and subject 2 test or something like that
>be me, have said stats, have interest in doing mature, rigorous maths

>hear horror stories about people I knew (2 years older than me) who were the "genius, math team" type who went into that class the first semester and barely scraped a C
>pussy out, end up taking the regular track
>later find out that they those guys were literally "smart but lazy" meme personified; they didn't really care about rigorous math, were actually total potheads (even during hs)

>years later I realize taking that track would have made my 4-year plan so much smoother
>realize I really enjoy the rigors of higher math

>im still too much of a pussy to even think about doing mathematical (rigorous, potentially meme) physics for grad school and further
>>
>>7844569
Not OP but the thing that makes me mad about people saying it is that it's really not necessary. Like yeah, of course you won't need to know it because you'll never have to know it, but there were plenty of people that do had to know it to make sure you could do things like update your Facebook on a consistent basis. I could make the same quips about not needing to know something about pretty much whatever they're studying, but not needing to know something usually isn't a good excuse for not learning it so I try to engage with disciplines outside of my own to a degree.
>>
File: 1452291313385.png (568KB, 464x621px) Image search: [Google]
1452291313385.png
568KB, 464x621px
>>7843989
Indeed, it is quite frustrating that the lesser minds only pertain their interests to celebrity gossip! Such dumb sheep while I use my brilliant mind to explore questions of the universe and work on my high level maths homework. If only the rest of the plebs in the world understood it as do I.
>>
and yet you would lick the ground she walked upon
>>
"Take a bag. For every positive integer, place a ball with that integer written on it in the bag. For every tenth ball you place in the bag, remove the ball in the very bottom. How many balls will be left in the bag at the end?"
>nine
FUCKING
NO
>>
>>7844009
Are you fucking retarded? Go look around you're uni I gurantee you there are some fucking non-STEM majors saying that.
>>
>>7844613
Do it u lil bitch follow ur dreams anon. I believe.
>>
>>7844008
he's somewhat right. most of them get filtered by sophomore year and drop out.

college attrition rates are horrendous. most people figure out by year 3 that secondary education is more than just a sum of its classes. it really does build your mind, even the shit classes you hate (especially the shit classes you hate).

educated people separate themselves from the uneducated. its an entirely different social strata.
>>
>>7843989
>beyond any reasonable measure?
I don't know if I'd go THAT far, but it's pretty annoying to be asked to explain perfection when I never claimed to possess such a trait.
>>
>>7843989
You won't know when it will be useful until you learn it. What you learn is like a set of tools. You won't know when to use a hammer if you don't know how hammers work. Then when you could use a hammer to build something you will just stand there and have no clue. Just focus on learning as many tools as possible and then you will slowly learn how to see which tool fits each new work.
>>
>>7844611
It's more like if they don't manage to learn it they hopefully won't get into a position where they will need to know it because then they are more likely to screw something up.
>>
>>7844082

I have to take it as well as analysis courses.

I put the pure in brackets since it's a bachelors in mathematics, but I take more pure courses whenever I can, so the course does require a couple applied courses instead of just algebra/topology/analysis/etc.
>>
>>7844644
Underrated post
>>
>>7843989
"The earth is flat"
>>
There will not be an end.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 500x641px
>>
>>7844783
is it -1/12?
>>
>>7844783
Here, you forgot this
return 0
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.