[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was reading this study: https://www.nber.org/papers/w73

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1400668181800.jpg (309KB, 876x1016px) Image search: [Google]
1400668181800.jpg
309KB, 876x1016px
So I was reading this study:
https://www.nber.org/papers/w7322

So apparently the prestige of the college you attend doesn't really matter at all.

If you look at the results, it's pretty clear.

Can anyone give me a case against this?

I currently attend a more prestigious university with out of state tuition, and though my debt won't be enormous, I'm considering switching to a less prestigious institution in my home state considering that it most likely will not have any effect at all on the final outcome of my earnings in my career.

Anyone else in this same boat?
>>
>>7843671
"We find that students who attended more selective colleges do not earn more than other students who were accepted and rejected by comparable schools but attended less selective colleges"

Just a quote from right there in the abstract...

Also this makes sense when you consider that IQ is pretty well correlated with income, and higher IQ people will be more likely to attend more selective colleges but this isn't necessarily causation, IQ is mostly genetic.
>>
>>7843671
yes it doesnt matter at all, i have solid evidence employers and university admissions tutors.
Case 1 when I attended UCL which is a top 5 British university the admissions tutor said that when selecting for a PhD he doesnt give a fuck where you did your undergrad. He himself admitted to attending Sussex university which is unknown.
Case 2, I dropped out of UCL because I wanted to do engineering and before going back to a university someone said to try engineering aprenticeships. I applied to Arup which is a top global civil engineering company, got rejected but I asked them if I reapplied with a civil degree does it matter where I went and they said absolutely not, that they train a lot of their engineers at South bank university which is super duper unknown. And get this: i told her (recruitment woman) that I asked because at school I was told that going to top universities makes a big difference hence why I went to UCL and she was very concerned even mentioning going to schools to dispel this myth.

Schools only tell kids this because having their kids attend top universities makes them looks good.
>>
Ye but, how else will we compare dicks, without actually showing each other our dicks?

My school is better than your school.
Fight me faggot
>>
>>7843719
Thank you so much for this man.

I've really been struggling with this. I think the prestige of a college is really just a scam, and what >>7844596 said, literally dick waving.
>>
>>7843680
>IQ is mostly genetic.

Funny enough, so is wealth.
>>
if it doesn't matter does that mean studying at denmark or germany for free tuition is the way to go?
>>
>>7845711
>free tuition or give thousands of dollars to jews just for a piece of paper?
what a choice
>>
>>7845737
the problem is that i want to study physics, and the only choice i found that's in english is Biology.
>>
I'm sure the quality of education varies considerably in the rigor and depth that they both teach and expect.

At the least, I would think it matters if one takes a wide variety of graduate classes as an undergrad.
>>
>>7843671
Hate to break this to every college freshman but nobody really gives a fuck where you went in the industry. Same thing with GPA. These two things should only concern you if you plan on continuing in academia.
>>
>>7845765
learn german, dont let the jews get your money.
>>
>>7843719
>He himself admitted to attending Sussex university which is unknown.
Brutal!
>>
>>7846346
well it is especially compared to UCL.
>>
It's not where you go but who you know. More prestigous universities may have better connections then a state school, professors will likely know someone at a great place if you're cool with them. Otherwise doesn't matter
>>
>>7846923
Boooooolsheeeeet. When I did pure science it was the same few profs shuffled around departments around the country. They have ex-Oxford professors in Wolverhampton uni and they have ex-Wolverhampton uni professors in Oxford. If the field is small then the departments have no choice but to intermix.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.