[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anons, I need advice. I am the 1% of women in my CS course and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
Anons, I need advice. I am the 1% of women in my CS course and somehow I've ended up with this guy as my lab partner. My problem is that he's waay too ahead, not just me but he's on a scholarship and have a hell good amount of experience in the industry etc. What's worse is that I myself am basically the complete opposite - I'm grinding my ass off trying get above the curve (went to a girl's school, no computing courses offered before uni, had little preparation as i changed to CS from another course at the very last moment etc). Being with him is not helping at all - I am a burden 100% of the time and I don't know what to do. What would you do????
>>
>>7842908
How about you start with "how can I help?"

At least you show up to lab. That alone makes you more helpful than 90% of the lab partners i've been stuck with in the past.
>>
>>7842908
I would blog on /sci/ about it, making sure that they know I'm i grill btw xp
>>
Ask him within the scope of your abilities, (explain) what you can do to lighten the burden of whatever projects you must complete. Also, everything is a paradigm into something else, from what is standard in the course of industry and work, to the fickle moments of individual imagination. Through a topological body, question yourself on how things are connected.
>>
>>7842913
There's isn't much I can do except try to keep up or do labs beforehand in my own time (which suggests investing maybe an hour and he would complete the same amount of work in 5 mins).
I guess there really isn't much to say on the subject.

>>7842916
clickbait not intended i swear xp
no seriously it fucking sucks. I'm already socially inept as it is.
>>
>>7842923
>There's isn't much I can do except try to keep up or do labs beforehand in my own time (which suggests investing maybe an hour and he would complete the same amount of work in 5 mins).
What's wrong with just doing them beforehand then?

Why the fuck do you care if a guy who's been working in the software industry can code faster than you?
>>
>>7842908
Want some solid advice? Stay out of his way and only help with any grunt work he gives you (writing up reporst etc.).

Seriously it's unfair to play catch up and affect your lab partner's grade just because of your ego. It doesn't matter how little you contribute, as long as you are not actively costing people time and effort (by asking him to explain things to you etc.), he will appreciate whatever little work you can spare him. That would make you less of a parasite and more of a symbiote.

Do an internship this summer, stop being lazy.

Like the other Anon said you're already better than most students considering you actually want to work and care about contributing.

Also CS is like 30-40% female, you're not a special snowflake.
>>
>>7842922
Thanks. We've got a big coursework coming up and i guess i should do just that.

>>7842927
Thanks for the cutting questions. I think the usual debate is whether the hour could be better spent working on other courses like maths, ADTs, assembly etc.
...i'm also well aware of my inferiority complex.
>>
>>7842933
Cheers. Though he doesn't really give me any grunt work ... I'll just have to help out i guess.
1% is just about right for our department at my uni. I'm hoping it'll be better once i get out.
>>
>>7842908

Do something women are good at, like bake him a cookie or give him a blow job to ease his workload
>>
>>7842908
This had absolutely nothing to do with you being a woman, if that is even true.
>>
>>7842933
>30-40%

u w0t m8? Maybe in 1st year. The actual stats are closer to 20% (for nation-wide). From my own experience it varies between like 10% and 30% depending on the subject.
>>
OP, give me one reason why, to make this post, it was completely necessary that you specified your gender.
>>
fuck your way to the top of class
>>
>>7843020
this

stop with your race advantage/disadvantage
>>
>>7842908
you remind me of a girl at my Uni.

Where do you study?
>>
>>7844138
gender*
>>
>>7843020
This. It's completely irrelevant, including the tidbit about having no prior CS experience "due to going to an all girls' school." (Fun fact: a decent amount of incoming freshmen at schools like MIT (so engineers and the like) went to underprivileged schools that didn't offer even basic calculus. Everyone has their circumstances, and no one really cares WHY you didn't take X or Y class in high school.)
>>
>>7842908
just fucking tell the dude, "yo, im behind you in just about everything to do with this subject, sorry if you feel like im a bother but im not really sure what im doing." end it with a laugh or whatever, just be a human, it's not hard to talk to someone.

Honestly, if you have the damn time just say what you said here? what is the point in telling us when you can just tell him? speak your mind.

You are asking for help communicating with the opposite sex on /sci/, I think there is another board for this.
>>
>>7843020
This.

OP mentioned her gender solely to mention her gender.

What did you want from it, OP? Attention?
>>
Do what you should've done from the beginning. Do the labs on your own. Take share in his results to learn.

How are you supposed to learn if you don't do anything ya dumb bitch.

I'm also guessing that you're a burden to every other lab partner you've had.

Start doing the damn labs on your own.

Ya dumb bitch
>>
>>7842908
>lab partner

You don't need a lab partner in CS. Do everything yourself and you'll learn way more.
>>
Having a lab partner who's ahead doesn't really have much to do with the best course of action. Struggle through the labs on your own to learn. If you have specific, informed questions, go ahead and ask.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.