[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tsar Bomba

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
how did they calculate where a safe spot to detonate it would be? is it on of those things where you don't know how big it's going to be until it happens?
>>
>>7842500
By using nuclear physics
>>
>>7842500
they actually were worried that the nuclear reaction would chain with the hydrogen in the atmosphere and that they were going to catch the entire worlds air on fire and kill everyone.

and they still did it.
>>
>>7842548
Things that aren't true: the post
>>
>>7842500
there's just an energy relation for a mass relating to energy off the form of a still particle

i guess they just used relations to tnt and guessed the size of the explosion
>>
>>7842548
Top kek
>>
>>7842559
>implying https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hamming#Manhattan_Project
>>
>>7842563
>>7842548
Hamming later recalled that:
>Shortly before the first field test (you realize that no small scale experiment can be done—either you have a critical mass or you do not), a man asked me to check some arithmetic he had done, and I agreed, thinking to fob it off on some subordinate. When I asked what it was, he said, "It is the probability that the test bomb will ignite the whole atmosphere."

Oh shit
>>
literally used e = mc^2 to determine that
>>
how do they detonate a thing like this? imagine being the guys driving out to plant it then driving away praying it doesn't go off randomly or some dude presses it too early lol
>>
>>7842548
Also, the Tear Bomba was originally designed to be a 100 megaton bomb, but they decided that the amount of fallout from it was too bug so they cut it back to 50 megatons (the blast diameter was a 40 mile utter destruction zone and a 60 mile severe destruction zone). Imagine the blast radius of a 100 megaton bomb
>>
>>7842571
Holy fucking shit.
Humanity will be gone in less than 200 years guaranteed.
>>
>>7842500
What exactly is the purpose of such a weapon?

M.A.D. or what?
>>
>>7842642
To destroy the United states comrade
>>
>>7842642
International dickwaving competition
>>
>>7842642
To signal the harvesters.
>>
>>7842660
Isn't that the answer to most things?
>>
File: 1323551080309.png (34KB, 172x166px) Image search: [Google]
1323551080309.png
34KB, 172x166px
I'm just wondering how fucking expensive that thing must have been to develop just to blow it up.
Right in the merchant.
>>
>>7842699
Its pretty much all of human advancement summed up in one sentence.
>>
File: 1454296083824.png (93KB, 216x249px) Image search: [Google]
1454296083824.png
93KB, 216x249px
>>7842704
>how fucking expensive that thing must have been to develop just to blow it up
>just to blow it up
and what exactly do you expect to come out of a hydrogen bomb development project, other than a bomb that blows up?
>>
>>7842577
that's silly man , if you plug the whole mass of the tsar bomba into that it would certainly destroy the whole planet .

what OP is asking is how could you calculate a bomb's yield from its design .
>>
>you will never drop a Tsar Bomba on New York
Life is suffering.
>>
>>7842500
You can probably calculate the maximum efficiency with thermodynamics, that could give you a reasonable upper bound.
>>
>>7842592

and they couldn't detonate it without killing the guys flying the plane, they wouldn't get out of blast radius in time.
>>
>>7842911
meh csualties of war
>>
>>7842911
Fucking savage
>>
>>7842548
>hydrogen
nitrogen, hydrogen, same difference, right?
>>
>>7842642
>What exactly is the purpose of such a weapon?

in soviet russia the blast radius must cover the error margin of delivery.
>>
>>7842548
Wrong bomb
>>
>>7842548
>and they still did it.
>he actually did it the absolute madman
>>
>>7842642
Death to America.
>>
>>7842642

''Don't fuck with us, you fat yankies''
>>
>>7843172
Why did the lose the cold war despite having a bomb so big? When Eastern Europe rebelled why didnt they just drop a Tsar Bomba on Budapest? Hitler would have done it. Imagine if the Nazis had the Tsar Bomba
>>
>>7842660
> someone who gets it
>>
>>7843178
Did anybody win or lose the cold war? I always assumed everyone sort of had enough of it and they cut it out.
>>
>>7842896
A nuclear fusion power plant starter
>>
>>7843105
Nice fkin meme dude
>>
File: stasi checkpoint.jpg (741KB, 1967x1311px) Image search: [Google]
stasi checkpoint.jpg
741KB, 1967x1311px
>>
>>7843490
Wow, deutschland 83 has really broadened my terminology
>>
>>7843361
Soviet union collapsed. USA still exists.
>>
>>7842548
Next time you go on a train, jump. See if you end up hitting the back of the carriage.

You won't.
>>
>>7842642
It was to see if they could set off an artificial tsunami. For that you need an enormous yield.

It turned out even that bomb was not sufficient.

>>7842704
>expensive
Sure. It was the Soviet union. They did not have to ask the people to fund it - they just took the money. The Soviets had several money guzzling projects going.
>>
>>7842500
Now my Russian isn't perfect but doesn't this mean Prince Bomb?
>>
>>7843698
Tsar is nota prince. Don't dare mock the leader of the glorious Russian empire with such miniscule royal titles you pleb.
>>
>>7843698
tsar=цap=Emperor
>>
>>7842907
Jesus dimwit.
>>
>>7843692
>took it

you mean "literally just put that as the job description for certain people"?
>>
>>7843692
didn't it detonate like 2 miles in the air? your reasoning that they wanted to create an artificial tsunami sounds like a meme
>>
>>7845131
Actually, Tsar means Caesar
>>
>>7846134
>Actually, Tsar means Caesar

no

>https://www.google.com/search?q=tsar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

that being said, it is derived from caesar.
>>
>>7845316
Partly. However they also confiscated savings. The way communism was put in control of Russia and then the Soviet union was by taxation.

>>7845349
>miles in the air?
Unlikely, the bomb was absolutely huge.

>your reasoning that they wanted to create an artificial tsunami sounds like a meme
And why would that be? After all the blast radius scales with cubic root of the yield, which means making huge bombs is meaningless unless you aim for a specific effect.

This is also the reason you have MIRV: a far more efficient way of levelling an area per kg nuclear material. After all, during the cold war it was said that the average distance between German villages was 10 kilotons.
>>
>>7846134
>teaching me my own language
>>
They don't. During the trinity test the scientists were wondering if the bomb would set the atmospere on fire and wipe out earth. The first hydrogen bomb test killed a bunch of people AFAIK.
>>
>>7843178
I don't think you understand dude,
If the Soviets or americans launched a nuclear attack on the other, it's tits up for the whole world. Big Bomb =/= Guranteed victory, because who cares how big the explosion is when neither of your nations exist anymore.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.