[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much more Delta-V does it cost to send a woman into space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: first-6-astronauts1[1].jpg (368KB, 1600x1206px) Image search: [Google]
first-6-astronauts1[1].jpg
368KB, 1600x1206px
How much more Delta-V does it cost to send a woman into space compared to a man, considering the weight of feminine hygiene products?
>>
Balanced out because they're smaller. You fucking fag.
>>
>>7842183
I actually imagine they'd temporarily shut down her reproductive system else she'd be hindered in training when she's having to experience cramps, illness etc every 12 months. There are drugs like that that can last 3 yrs at a time.
>>
>>7842199
Meant to say 12 times a year, not 12 months
>>
>>7842183
There are drugs that stop menstruation.
Female cancer patients get them.
>>
>>7842183
there's not much difference in deltaV to send them to 'space' (if by space you man at least LEO). the advantage of sending women is that they are more energy efficient and would take considerably less food\oxygen for a long duration mission .

on shit like apollo or building the ISS \ repairing satellites like hubble we actually needed people to do it because making because making a reliable robot that could do it instead was much harder with the tech of that time . but the main purpose of most people sent into space is to test what happens to them in space so it makes sense to send both men and women to places like the ISS so you can have a more diverse pool of data to study .

basically if you need scientific data on some object in our solar system you send a probe\lander\rover\whatever , if you wanna test how humans would react to being there \ systems that allow extended survival away from earth you send men and women so you could see how the different bodies react to the environment .

if you are planning a meme-space-mission (like apollo, it had great scientific achievements but its main purpose was the 'space race' meme) then sending women might be a good idea because of the reduced mass of food\water\oxygen needed and the fact that if you're already doing a meme-mission having a women only or mostly women crew is a meme in of itself and will help you with publicity\ funding.
>>
>>7842183
Women are substantially lighter. And the delta-V is the same regardless of the payload mass, more payload just means you need more impulse to achieve that delta-V.
>>
>>7842232
>the space race was a meme

My brain is full of fuck rn
>>
>>7842187
Not to mention they use less resources like oxygen and food. It would be cheaper to send women to Mars than men. No one really considers it because gender discrimination lol
>>
>several hundred grams of feminine hygiene products versus 20kg of body mass

There's bound to be a large redundant fuel supply anyway
>>
>>7842733
Children would be best, if they could operate machinery
>>
File: 1384458178984.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1384458178984.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>7842232
>meme-space-mission (like apollo
OK, /sci/, so we've lost track of the meaning of "meme", and it joins the ranks of "autism" and "literally".
What's next, "sandwich"?
>>
>>7842463
>>7842787
alright lets call it 'publicity driven mission' . kennedy literally said the reason they're doing apollo is because its hard . no word of the scientific questions we had about the moon that we hoped to find answers to like the origin of the moon .

>noun
>1.
>a cultural item that is transmitted by repetition
>and replication in a manner analogous to the
>biological transmission of genes.

it was basically the 'yea we'll do impressive shit better then this other nation that also does impressive shit and beat them' meme . there is no real non-meme value to being the first to land on the moon, the value is in what you do there but these memes manufacture artificial value which allows you to gain public support for the funding of your space program .
>>
>>7842932
>no word of the scientific questions we had about the moon that we hoped to find answers to like the origin of the moon .

True, but that's because it was really much more about the technology needed to pull it off than the science they wood get as a result. Publicity was a huge part of it, but not the only part. The Americans and Soviets were each terrified of the other expanding out and "conquering space" and buildingbases on the moon and shit. And the tech developed for that purpose has obvious military value. It just turned out that there wasn't an actual reason to stay there.
>>
>>7842187
How much smaller?

If a woman needs to take 100 lbs of products for a mission, are women really 100 lbs smaller than men?

I want numbers.
>>
>>7842199
>>7842212
As far as I can tell NASA doesn't actually use such drugs. They actually ship feminine products up.
>>
>>7842378
>Women are substantially lighter.
Depends on the woman, but we should take that into consideration somehow.

>And the delta-V is the same regardless of the payload mass, more payload just means you need more impulse to achieve that delta-V.
I'm talking about the delta-V budget obviously.
>>
>>7842733
>Not to mention they use less resources like oxygen and food.
Can this be quantified?

>>7842758
>several hundred grams of feminine hygiene products versus 20kg of body mass
Are these actual numbers? The amount of product would depend on the length of the mission.

>There's bound to be a large redundant fuel supply anyway
Doesn't every kg have a certain cost in fuel and dollars?
>>
I found this:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001553.html

>I think the big controversy was about — and a lot of the women disagreed — how many feminine hygiene products do you put [onboard].

>Of course the more you put, the less room you have in your drawer for your clothes and stuff. Or in a drawer. I don't even remember where they put it. I helped make that decision with the docs. We had to do worst case. Tampons or pads, how many would you use if you had a heavy flow, five days or seven days of flow. Because we didn't know how it would be different up there. What's the max that you could use?

>Most of the women said, "I would never, ever use that many." "Yes, but somebody else might. You sure don't want to be worried about do I have enough." So it was like, "Uh." The men were all, "Oh man, that's a lot of stuff!" I don't know; it was another one of those issues that was really kind of a nonissue.

>How much did you end up putting on board? Do you recall?

>I don't remember. It was probably — because we included both pads and tampons — probably at least twice as many as someone would use, and then probably 50 percent more than that just in case. It was a big wad of stuff.
>>
>>7842932
The space race was for military supremacy faggot.
The first manned missions were literally capsules on top of a modified ICBM
>>
>>7844407

pretty much
>>
Women in general are just not suited for these sort of things. They are meant to be home-makers and baby producers.

/thread
>>
>>7842183
Likely a 3rdorder consideration.
>>
>>7842183
They are much lighter, but when you have a mission where you actually need to get things done instead of meming for publicity, you send men or robots.
>>
It'll cost about double since you have to send up a man to do her job anyways
>>
>>7844396
Yup:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11543564
>>
File: the bait for anon.png (12KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
the bait for anon.png
12KB, 500x294px
>>7844458
>>
File: 1283195771737.jpg (16KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1283195771737.jpg
16KB, 240x320px
>>7842948
>the science they wood get as a result.
>wood
>>
>>7844458
So if we have a mission studying making sandwiches in space, we should send a woman.
>>
>>7846265
Nothing like a zero g sandwich after some zero g sex.
>>
>>7846241
He's right, you know.
>>
>>7844458
this. the guys we first sent into space were legit crazy.

>had to tell one of them to get back inside before he died
>they wanted a fucking window
>they wanted to FLY the damn thing instead of having computers do it
>they basically took a cardboard box for a spin around the earth
>a bunch of them fucking died huffing pure oxygen

normies in general aren't meant for space.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.