[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he right? And why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (93KB, 746x702px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 746x702px
Is he right? And why?
>>
> physics is easy
> sociology is hard

Didn't expect much from a rapist anyway.
>>
>>7840577
his sentiment is more or less true (humans are hard to predict) but the way he phrased it is pretty shit
>>
>>7840577
He is not right. Because sociology is a pseudo-science.
>>
>>7840581
>Didn't expect much from a rapist anyway.

He's spreading this meme unironically
>>
>>7840577
"sociology" as field does not use non-linear PDE models so he's wrong.

Economics uses SPDEs, but it's not more difficult than typical complex systems in physics which don't involve humies.
>>
>>7840585
rape isn't a meme nor funny in any way
>>
>>7840577

If you compare physics and sociology and expect the same results of course sociology is hard.

By that logic economics is hard, psychology is hard, philosophy is hard and so... but only because you're using the wrong tools for your field like a mathematician using critical theory or an architec using impresionism for his designs.
>>
>>7840588

It's a meme because it has no evidence. The women that said it is batshit crazy histrionic mess. Oh and back to Tumblr.
>>
>>7840594
> The women that said it is batshit crazy histrionic mess
> Has no evidence for being crazy or lying
Nice try rape apologist. Fuck you and your kind
>>
File: 1454782141963.png (43KB, 195x179px) Image search: [Google]
1454782141963.png
43KB, 195x179px
>>7840604
>Nice try rape apologist. Fuck you and your kind

Lmfao. Okay you're trolling. I ain't falling for this bate.
>>
>>7840608
> uhh we cant know nuthin
> every rape victim is a liar

you need to be chemically castrated for supporting rape
>>
>>7840613

Bait 101

Make it a bit less stereotypical next time. You came across as a caricature.
>>
>>7840593
>By that logic economics is hard, psychology is hard, philosophy is hard and so... but only because you're using the wrong tools for your field like a mathematician using critical theory or an architec using impresionism for his designs.
You're an idiot.
>>
>>7840617
> lol rape is so funny and memes XDDD
Atleast you're not a rape risk with your microdick hiding behind a computer screen all day.
>>
>>7840577
Well, just I suspected, he is at high school level of physics, when everything is simple or simplified to linear level.
>>
>>7840618
>You're an idiot.
And you are a big guy.
>>
>>7840593
>By that logic economics is hard, psychology is hard, philosophy is hard
Are you implying they're not? Why don't you go revolutionize those fields?
>>
>>7840648
>Are you implying they're not? Why don't you go revolutionize those fields?

I would invite anyone from these fields into any engineering and see if they can get their usual "magic" of passing all subjects on the last tests of their course.

It also falls under the logic posted by Neil.
>>
>nonlinear

What does this even mean in this context? Plenty of physical systems are nonlinear.
>>
He's right that physics is much easier than sociology. Not for individuals, but overall. That's why we're so much better at physics as a species and we still have a loose grasp on sociology.

It doesn't have anything to do with nonlinearity though. Lots of physics is nonlinear.
>>
>>7840657
>an engineering student who thinks his subject is the end all be all of academic rigor
Get over yourself. Regardless, we're not talking about "passing tests;" we're talking about advancing fields through original research.
>>
Ke = .5mv^2

OH SHIT THIS ISN'T LINEAR SO HARD HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT SOCIOLOGY MAJORS
>>
>>7840659
Presumably "governed by linear differential equations", which is almost all the physics you learn in undergrad. But definitely not all physics.
>>
>>7840667
He's referring to linear differential equations, to one of which this is a solution smartass.
>>
File: Um0Bx.jpg (113KB, 1066x943px) Image search: [Google]
Um0Bx.jpg
113KB, 1066x943px
This is obviously a highly simplistic view, but all things equal, human behaviour introduces very unpredictible events : we are endlessly self-regulating, so any equation modelling human behaviour, be it linear or not, would itself be a rough estimation, and only work in a limited space and time setup.
>>
>>7840588
>rape isn't a meme nor funny in any way
good one
>>
>>7840678
go back to back to jail nigger
>>
File: 1419203405571.png (13KB, 236x320px) Image search: [Google]
1419203405571.png
13KB, 236x320px
>>7840577
isn't he the sme guy who said philosophy is useless?
isn't sociology a branch of philosophy?
make up your mind holy shit
>>
>>7840681
One of the girls raped in college had a nervous breakdown after her boyfriend left her and she had to dropout.

That was undisputably funny because I predicted that with simple linear sociology models therefore NDT was wrong again.
>>
>>7840577
Top fucking kek. If you really wanted to predict how humans behave, skip the psychology surveys and statistics crap.

You do this;
>Install CCTV cameras in everyones homes without their knowledge
>record what people say and do 24/7
>track their movements
>do analysis and modelling

Within a year you'll be able to “understand” and predict human behaviour to a 99% accuracy.

The fact that they are trying to observe and base their entire research on surveys and mathematical statistics (to pretend they are doing science), where the data can be easily manipulated, biased and people can outright lie when they do surveys, is the primary reason why sociology, psychology, economics and other liberal arts courses are a completely fucking joke.
>>
>>7840693
>skip statistics
>do analysis

You're brilliant friend, absolutely brilliant.
>>
>>7840703
>he thinks statistics actually predict anything

this is why I fucked your mum last night while you were too busy trying to predict the probability when I was going to do it
>>
>>7840717
It's funny, because based on the contents of your messages, my brain statistically predicts that you live in your parent's basement and the only thing you ever fucked was your hand.
>>
File: 1454008548223.jpg (112KB, 1102x720px) Image search: [Google]
1454008548223.jpg
112KB, 1102x720px
>Physics is easy
>>
>>7840724
Anon bringing the heat.
>>
>implying sociology is hard
I took sociology because my physics degree requires some humanities classes
It wasn't as easy as I was expecting, but that was mostly because of the massive amount of papers I had to write. We even touched on some very basic graph theory, but the words "graph theory" were never mentioned as to not frighten the sociology majors.
>>
>>7840779
How much graph theory did you learn?
>>
>>7840677
That is basically the definition of chaos - a system where an arbitrarily small perturbation now causes unbounded deviations at some later time.
Such systems are obviously non-linear.

>>7840684
No, sociology is not part of psychology.

Even if it were, that post doesn't contradict sociology being useless.
The fact that human behaviour is so chaotic and non-linear seems like a pretty good reason to deem it useless - there are so many different variables involved and we can't reasonably use statistical methods because the system is so non-linear that a small change in a single localised part of the system can have massive consequences - a politician being slightly more or less aggressive could be the difference between peace and nuclear war, for example.

Sociology being harder than physics does not mean that it is somehow more useful. Because physics is so simple, we can study it in exact detail.
It's like the difference between non-relativistic quantum mechanics and relativistic quantum field theory - the non-relativistic theory is simple, so we can ask more complicated questions about it, such as questions about bound systems of particles or massive statistical ensembles that one could never hope to tackle relativistically.
It would be fair to disregard research into determining the geometry of a protein from the standard model Lagrangian as useless, and sociology could be dismissed likewise (I'm not saying thi is my view, just that it is not as inconsistent as you made out).
>>
>>7840768

Physics is harder than sociology, but easier than most math.
>>
>>7840693
>sociology, psychology, economics and other liberal arts courses are a completely fucking joke
Liberal arts includes maths, science and logic.
>>
Here's a classic result in sociology:

In a group of people some of whom know each other, the number of people who each know an odd number of people is an even number.
>>
I would say that social sciences fucking suck because of their low standards. Clinical psychology is the closest it has to being a real science (and it's getting better over time in this respect), but still has studies of like 150 people and pretends that you can generalize that shit to a population when you very clearly cannot.

Sociology is worse -- many sociology studies have sample sizes of 10, and sometimes as low as 3. Holy fuck is that not rigorous science.

Most of the social sciences are based upon theories of how things work -- theories which are often only partly based off of evidence, and which either cannot be or have not been proven.

>I'm a psychology major who wants to go into clinical psych
>holy fuck am I not going to do amateur-tier shit like sample sizes of 10 people in studies
>>
>>7841251
Not sure what you're talking about. Sociology usually uses the biggest sample sizes in all of social sciences. The standarized interview is even commonly called, the sociological method. What you are talking about are qualitative methods, which are bases on the symbolical interactionism paradigma. They don't claim to have any representative use or probability logic, they simply exist to generate hypothesis in complex fields with a lot of variables.

Besides, how do you even define "a real science"? Sociological theories have been proven to be effective, empirically, which means that by some extend they are right. The laws of thermodynamics are 'wrong' as well, if you apply them to a bumblebee, they can't explain why it can fly. However, these laws still helped us get actual working airplanes going, cause they are close enough to reality. Same goes for sociology. A good example for a pretty solid theory is the theory of social desorganization, also called "broken windows theory".
>>
>>7840577
I almost strangled a sociology expert once.
>>
Don't sociologists spend a lot of time collecting statistics and throwing statistical algorithms at them that assume everything is linear?
>>
>>7840577

He's right, in a way. Good luck quantifying and predicting how humans behave. Coming up with robust equations that describe this should be much more challenging than many topics in physics.

That isn't to say that sociologists aren't idiots.
>>
Physics is just a playground for autistic people who want to work with sterile, predictable and boring abstractions for the rest of their lives because they are scared of actual complicated problems.
>>
>>7841239
That's a basic theorem from graph theory, except this is less general
>>
>>7841338
>mfw this is a thinly veiled "space is cool but maybe we should focus on the problems on earth first :^)" post
nice bait
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-26-12-24-24.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-26-12-24-24.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>physics
>easy
>>
>>7841338
You're right to be honest.
>>
Why do people ITT think BSG meant "studying physics is easier".

Not everything is about major politics christ.

We all now there's a massive difference between physicists and sociologists, the latter doesn't even know what nonlinearity means.

He's mostly saying "why physicists can't (easily) find deterministic models for society".
>>
>>7840668
Not true.
A simple pendulum is only a linear system for small oscillations.
>>
>>7840582
This..

He's saying that sociology is hard to quantify, which, it is, compared to Physics. Not that it's harder to study or research.

But the way he phrased it is misleading on purpose, and pretty much shit.
>>
>>7841401
>is hard to quantify, which, it is, compared to Physics. Not that it's harder to study or research.
It being harder to quantify literally makes it harder to study/research.

Designing an ethically allowable study that's valid and accurate of even basic ideas in social sciences is a nigh on nightmare compared to harder sciences.
>>
>>7841430
>It being harder to quantify literally makes it harder to study/research.
They don't study chaos and non-linear PDEs so no.

Grow up.

>Designing an ethically allowable study that's valid and accurate of even basic ideas in social sciences is a nigh on nightmare compared to harder sciences.
That's not what they do, they make up bullshit based on feelings and they implement that bullshit. Maybe one day if they fix the discipline and incorporate some math into the curricula it would be "hard", but right now it's not.
>>
>>7841430
As an example, let's design an experiment that allows us to measure the acceleration due to gravity on the earth's surface.

Compare that to
>role SES plays in violent crimes
(remember, you have to operationally define fucking every word in your hypothesis and almost every word in your study!)
>>
ITT: competitive egos bah humbugging humor because they've exposed as not that great
>>
>>7841436
They do study the fuck out of probablistic spaces though.
>That's not what they do, [insert 3 year-old whiny, ignorant bullshit that shows I know literally nothing about the field but 4chin memes]
And you're telling other people to grow up?

Also,
>implying difficulty of math involve=difficulty of producing meaningful results.
>>
File: 3a0.jpg (45KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
3a0.jpg
45KB, 600x338px
>mfw human behavior is unpredictable precisely because of quantum uncertainty a.k.a. physics
>>
>>7841399
Does an exact solution for the pendulum exist given smooth boundary data?
>>
>>7840577
Sociology when done properly is very difficult.

That being said, it's never done properly.
>>
>>7841446
>Elementary probability theory is the same as SPDEs.

Grow. The fuck. Up. You. Stupid. Nigger.
>>
>>7841478
>thinks introductory probability spaces is where it stops
>still being stuck on DUR MATH GOTS TO BE HARD OTHERWISE SUBJECT MUST BE EASY
>sticking with "grow up" while using racial slurs

Come on now, if sociology is so easy, let's hear a testable, valid hypothesis for SES's role in violent crime.

Come on Mr. Mathman. If you can solve partial differential equations, this should be super simple for you...it's just stringing some words together after all, and we all know that people are super easy to predict behavior-wise.
>>
>>7841490
>valid hypothesis for SES's role in violent crime.
American niggers commit crime because of colonization.

There, that's literally publishable in your shitty field.
>>
>>7841505
>American niggers commit crime because of colonization.
How is this testable. What is crime? What is American? What is nigger?
>There, that's literally publishable in your shitty field.
>implying it's my field
Not everyone is so autistic that they only pay attention to one specific field of study anon.
>literally publishable
Not in the slightest, but you're got to keep up this illusion of superiority to keep from realizing how worthless of a human being you are and how pathetic your life is.

Fun fact, suicide is an option.

If you add it to your amazon gift list, link it here, I'll buy "Final Exit" for you.
>>
>>7841514
>What is nigger?
u faggot.

>Not in the slightest, but you're got to keep up this illusion of superiority to keep from realizing how worthless of a human being you are and how pathetic your life is.
You've obviously never read a sociology journal.
>>
What about Quantum Physics?
Doesn't the field, in a way, contradict the common held beliefs in classical mechanics?
Isn't quantum analysis, on some level, require probability and chaos as much as sociology does?
>>
I am a physics graduate student. A close friend of mine from undergrad was a very gifted mathematician before his schizophrenia became so severe he lost his ability to reason rationally about problems and basically do anything. The last time I talked to him, he told me he's working on deriving a proof of the existence of aliens living in "other dimensions".

Is it hard to find aliens living in other dimensions? Fuck yeah it's hard. But I'm not about to throw away my career to go work on "the hardest problems there are"...

It's simply not that fun to let oneself age and die halfway through cutting down a redwood forest with a toothpick. I'll take the chainsaw please
>>
>>7841556
QM is childsplay for sociology majors with their deep background in advanced math such "probability space" and their genius ability to construct a nomenclature list.
>>
>>7841583
Yeah I got a bachelor's degree in Sociology from Yalevardumbia university. We were required to study advanced probabilistical theorems and axioms such as:

P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B)
\sum_\Omega e_i = 1
P(A^c) = 1 - P(A)
>>
How can one study itself? I demand sociology to be banned as illogical.
>>
>>7841611
By that logic any kind of medicine, biology, psychology etc. should be illogical as well.

And if you go even deeper, we are part of the universe, how can we study it?
>>
>>7841583
>>7841597
I'm not understanding the hidden satire or whatever you're projecting. I'm also not trained in either physics or sociology.

What is the role of Quantum Theory in the future of classical mechanics?
>>
>>7840577
>everything in physics is linear
Spoken like someone who is not a physicist.
>>
>>7840577
He's an entertainer pandering to laymen.

Of course things that don't actually work are "hard".
>>
>>7840594
>rape has no evidence

RAPE DOESNT EXIST CONFIRMED
>>
>>7840588
Rape is pretty funny though.

>source: im a rapist
>>
>>7840577
He is completely correct. Compare calculating rocket thrust to working out whether someone will commit crime or not. The former we can do easily and accurately, the latter we still have no fucking clue even after years of research. Economy goes shit, people do crime because no money, Economy is good, people do crime because plenty to steal. It's baffling.
>>
>>7840577
Holy shit.

People actually think that this monkey is the mouthpiece of the science community today.

This is disgusting.
>>
>>7842345
>mouthpiece of the science community today.
Well he actually kinda is
>>
>>7842349
Well he really isn't. He's made his mark in the science community by being a nigger and attempting to emulate sagan and failing in every way possible.

The difference is Sagan's show was good and his books were decent.
>>
>>7842345
He is a published scientist

You're a faggot college student living with his parents.
>>
>>7842335
No he's absolutely not correct and neuroscience can prove it. Solving Math problems requires the newest layer of the brain, which is still rather thin and underdeveloped, since we haven't been using it for that long in our human history.
>>
>>7842353
Agreed on all accounts except one. He is one of the most famous 'scientists' today. The public eats his shit like it's made of gold and honey and sugar. Whether you and I dislike the fact is is not currently in discussion.
>>
>>7842354
I'm a published author so does that mean I should be more famous than McCarthy?

>>7842369
The point I'm driving at is there are a multitude of other true scientists that should be emulated by western nations but sadly they aren't niggers.

Gotta keep pushing the multicult propaganda through every facet boyo.
>>
>>7842379
>The point I'm driving at is there are a multitude of other true scientists that should be emulated by western nations but sadly they aren't niggers.

There are. They should. But they aren't. Welcome to the new age.
>>
>>7842392
Then why play into their hands?

Why not abandon the society that treats you as a second class citizen yet you and your people are the one who are truly progressing it. Progression through the sciences and fields of technology. Not so called societal change by vilifying anything and anyone without a direct line to mudpeople.
>>
>>7841357
That was the joke, presenting a graph-theoretic result as if it arose from sociological studies.
>>
>>7840581
idiot. he's saying that's why it's difficult to properly test things in sociology compared to physics
>>
>>7841454
>unpredictable
>quantum uncertainty
>unpredictable
>uncertainty
You are not such smart as you think.
>>
>>7840586
>"sociology" as field does not use non-linear PDE models so he's wrong.
>"sociology" as field does not use mathematics in its broadest sense at all. so he's wrong.
Fyp
>>
>>7841478
Yeah you were missing his entire point earlier, but you confirmed to us all you are an idiot with that comment.
>>
>>7842357
LOL did you just make that up? Can I have a link to this mathematical membrane?
>>
>>7842404
I've been considering the logistics of building an island in international waters and claiming it as a new nation state.

We could grow our food with vertical farms and have a service based economy.

It would quickly grow as people fed up with the faggotry brings in wealth and talent.

No religiousfags allowed.
>>
>>7842921
>No religiousfags allowed.
This is most likely the best solution to anything. It's like a virus that breeds ignorance *le tip*
>>
>>7842930
It's not that religion is the only thing that leads to irrational thought or that we should have zero religion at all.

It's that if you think some god is going to smite you for publically religion then you're probably not very rational to begin with. Some religiousfags are ok.

Abrahamic religions are all pretty cancerous though. Especially the fucking mudslimes.
>>
>>7840620
If ye fear the dick become strong enough to fight it
>>
>>7842320
>i'm a virgin living with my parents who thinks rape jokes are funny
>>
>>7843076
But they are funny
>source: non rapist
>>
>>7843076
It's so annoying how brainwashed you retards are, you are either a cave dwelling landwhale or a skinny beta faggot who's scared of his own shadow and just listens to what everyone says without question

Things that are ok to joke about or show on tv
>Murder
>Torture
Not ok because muh political propoganda says so:
>RAPE IS NOT OK IT'S NEVER OK WAAAAH WAAAAAH

Grow up.
>>
>>7843086
Rapist detected
>>
>>7843083
Can agree.

Source: postdoc in rapeology
>>
>>7840577
What a smug prick. I can't deal with the guy, I really can't. His whole Twitter feed just makes my blood boil.
>>
>>7843138
Don't ever let me hear your day that again against the best scientist that ever lived. - Average person
>>
>>7840577
Sociology doesn't use math.
>>
>>7843132
Rape victim detected
>>
>>7843154

this
>>
>>7840577
Did everyone miss that the OP retweeted this EPIC gem?
>>
>>7840588
If it involves clowns it can be pretty funny
>>
>>7843219
I bet you know that from watching Tara
>>
>>7840581
i c wat u did thar
>>
Physics is pretty much equations, while Sociology is pretty much studying people. They're both difficult in their own aspects. You can't compare the two.
>>
>>7840577
>Physics doesn't use non-linear math
>>
>>7843219
fuck I wish I had that picture saved now.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.