[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why russia owns the competitive programming and hacking scene?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: russia.png (5KB, 294x171px) Image search: [Google]
russia.png
5KB, 294x171px
Why russia owns the competitive programming and hacking scene?
(Also the east european nations)
[pic related]
>>
Because Russians are good at math/stem stuffs. Remember first nuclear plant? First person to space?
>>
proofs?
>>
>>7839127
>hacking
>>>/g/
>>
WW2
>>
>>7841148
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACM_International_Collegiate_Programming_Contest#Winners
For competitive programming part
>>
>>7839135
>Because Russians are good at math/stem stuffs. Remember first nuclear plant? First person to space?
remember when they had to steal all ideas from the United States?
>>
>>7841159

Remember when the u.s. had to steal stuff and people from the Germans?
>>
>>7841162
#rekt
>>
>>7841153
Well idk, I am from Serbia and our highschoolers just won math international thingie or something, it was on the news I forgot, I think our guys win in first 5 places every year or something.

I guess it has a lot to do with poverty. You see, we do not have first world economy and minimum wage safety networks. Everyone knows how life is. You are not entitled to anything, you have to work for every day of life, and life isnt fair and all that.
If you are shit at sports you study hard and if you are shit at studying you do sports hard. Otherwise you will be unemployed which can be legit starvation.

Life of crime is almost impossible I think because around here, police is a serious business. You can be charged with criminal incompetence or even cowardice. You are not allowed to be fat on the job if you are cop. Most police officers are veterans of some sort of war, or at least have 10+ peace missions.
When Yugoslavia went to shit, officers started selling guns and grenades, soldier units turned to organized crime and so on. Same thing in Soviet union. So police had to seriously step up.

So that's life in eastern Europe I guess. There are only 2 ways to justify your existence: studying hard or playing sports hard. If you want to do crime you have to move to one of those soft countries (Sweden, Germany, the West in general).
>>
>>7839127
>hacking scene
You mean the script kiddy scene.
>>
>>7841201
no i mean the hacking scene
>>
>>7841201
Protip: 90% of the people who bandy the term "script kiddy" around couldn't even code fucking helloworld.c

Faggot.
>>
>>7841221
>no i mean the hacking scene
I think you're thinking of China.
>>
>>7839135
>Because Russians were good at math/stem stuffs
fixed
>>
Poverty.

There are no first world delusions. The world does not work on happy thoughts and rainbows. Economy does not work on hobbies. No, you cant criticize food places on the internet as a job. No, you cant be a professional feminist and live from being offended. No, you cant get away with having a social/soft 'science' degree, produce absolutely nothing useful, and expect a salary.

Doing crime will get you killed, doing manual labor will get you hellish living standard and ruin your back at the age of 30. Your only options are to starve or do whatever economy dictates.

Пpивeт и дo cвидaния.
>>
>>7841227
????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACM_International_Collegiate_Programming_Contest#Winners

US hasn't won since 1997.
China since 2010.
>>
>>7841270
>you cant get away with having a social/soft 'science' degree, produce absolutely nothing useful, and expect a salary.

What are teachers then
>>
File: 68.jpg (126KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
68.jpg
126KB, 420x315px
>>7841284
Fukken Slavs, man.
>>
>>7841403
I'm slav myself. Moved to US in 2002.
Most of the pictures you see on the internet of Russians are just your typical "white trash" equivalent. Uneducated, alcoholic быдлo. You see, Moscow and St. Petersburg are really their own Russia. Russia outside of Moscow and Petersburg are just boonies filled with poverty and degeneracy. Life in Moscow and Petersburg is expensive, only educated rich-folk and thieves can afford to reside there.
>>
>>7841392
Being a professor is extremely respected and useful. Professors here mostly come from heavy industry, army, and similar places. Sciences they teach are absolutely essential and extremely economical. Not sure what are you implying there.

Being a professor is usually at the top of the ladder, they have a lot of money and assistants and are called for when the government is doing things.
>>
File: Sergey_Brin_cropped.jpg (102KB, 638x832px) Image search: [Google]
Sergey_Brin_cropped.jpg
102KB, 638x832px
>>7839127
>>7841153
>>7841196
>>7841201

They are good hackers.... then to come to America to silicon valley and create startups and large companies. Nobody who is smart wants to do any business in Russia or stay there. Brain drain is massive, and only getting worse.
>>
Because it's a superpower
>>
Because they have the best university for computer engineers.
>>
>>7841959

So what happens when America is no longer rich enough to poach talent from other countries?
>>
I feel like russians are basically east asians in white people bodies
>conservative, not muhfeelings like the west
>autistic
>into hard subjects like math
>communism
>squatting
it makes sense because of geographical proximity
>>
>>7839127
It's not Russia, it's the conditions people live in. In eastern European nations including Russia the market for high skill labor is extremely competitive. You either do what top tier US engineers do and for minimum wage, or die screaming on the streets. Because of the same thing they escape and be successful aboard as soon as they get chance.

You might claim that the same conditions apply to India and China but they don't adapt that well in Western culture, so even though they're individually very skilled, they don't end up being risk takers.
>>
>>7842194
Only way that'll happen is if there is an economic down turn in technology within the US (IE tech bubble bursting). If that happens though it will probably reach a global scale and affect tech innovation in most developed parts of the world.

In that event a reverse brain drain could happen assuming other countries are less fucked than the US. Or a new country could rise up and become the new center for tech innovation. Probably some East Asian country like Singapore or Hong Kong.
Although Japans economies getting worse and Chinas is slowing, that's looking less likely (since this affects regional trade).

I don't see an event in which Russia becomes a major tech disrupter unless they decide to rapidly increase investments in tech. They have the brain power but lack resources. They also aren't so keen on Visa immigration and investing in promising foreign workers as the US is.

TLDR; if America becomes too poor to bring in techies then the global tech scene would most likely be fucked.
>>
>>7839135
I thought they were good at sports
>>
>>7839127
Slavs are good with numbers.
>>
>>7842209
Russians are Asians you idiot.
>>
File: 602-600x518.jpg (73KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
602-600x518.jpg
73KB, 600x518px
>>7842249
am slav can confirm.
>>
>>7841148
>>7841201
the best malware usually comes from russia... but OP is talking about hacking as in coding

>>7842209
>conservative
>communism
how ironic

>>7842194
they will go elsewhere? China, I guess?
>>
>>7841162
Is it stealing when their scientists came here for free?
>>
>>7842386
after bombing their countries? also, are you sure they went to the US willingly?
>>
Communism breeds intelligence
>>
File: 613.jpg (54KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
613.jpg
54KB, 1000x750px
>>7841447
as another slav, how dare you say that about people simply squating as god intended
>>
>>7842411
When you have the choice between the US and a 3rd world Communist Country the answer becomes pretty obvious.
>>
Because they prefer mathematical programming rather than making ruby on rails startups at Starbucks
>>
>>7842515
>Because they prefer mathematical programming for the ruby on rails startups at Starbucks
fixed it.
>>
>>7839127
Everytime I hear about cybercrime in the news (northern Europe), it involves Russians, and/or other Eastern European countries. It's probably a hype. I don't believe there's anything inherent in the Russian genepool that makes them more inclined to be good at maths than the French or the Irish.... Well, perhaps not the Irish.
>>
>>7842323

Communist ideology in russia was surprisingly close to atheistic version of conservative christianity. Individualism and hedonism were very much discouraged. It was all about selflessness and helping your fellow man (at least that's what ideology and propaganda said).

Sexually the society was very conservative. The only exception were abortions which were very widespread. But promiscuity and casual sex were very much looked down upon. Homosexuality was illegal and punished by ~5 years in prison. Transsexuals were commited to institutions.

The soviets were also feminist but in a very narrow way - only in the economical and labor sense. There were no social\sexual feminism whatsoever.
>>
>>7841447
perestrojka is over by14 years now bydlo.
>>
Loving this thread.
>>
File: 1454466787788.jpg (321KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1454466787788.jpg
321KB, 1000x1000px
>>7842847
I like soviet feminism so much, and hate literally everything about modern one.
Women had a really good education back that time.
I have fetish for technically educated women.
>>
>>7839127
delete usa, niggers and kebab
>>
>>7845120
who else is left then ?
>>
>>7843896
Are you a russiaboo perchance
>>
>>7842464
>When you have a choice between the US and 30 years in prison for warcrimes the answer becomes pretty obvious

FIFY
>>
>>7841153
What happened to the US after 1997 and Russia in 2000?
>>
>>7845174
>usa and the west

The effect of Boomers progressively destroying and monetizing the education system (grade inflation to move students along, relaxation of admission standards to zero, courses taught to encourage rote learning massive syllabi for ease of marking large volumes of papers rather than tasks that require actual understanding of concepts and ideas, and so on), the dumbing down of pop culture, the end of interest in science/technology in wider society after the Space Race ended. the end of the nuclear family for a variety of factors, the stigmatisation of sciences as 'elitism' because of the disparity of teaching, etc.
>>
>>7845129
chinks and cumskins
>>
>>7845220
What about us mestizo mudskins?
>>
>>7839135
Remember Soviet stealings of science goods from Germany during and after the War?
>>
>>7846083
No. Do you?
>>
>>7845115
>>
>>7842830
That's the point. You don't hear from other coutries' hackers because they're so good.
>>
>>7839127
Growing up in a system like that creates people for whom gaming the system becomes second nature. Lots of the "innovation" in financial markets that lead to the financial crisis of 2007/2008 was thought up by Russian-Americans.
>>
who read this thread in thick russian accent
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 534x820px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 534x820px
Kill all boomers pls ;_;
>>
>>7839127
Supposedly everyone in the former Soviet bloc grew up on Commodore 64 knockoffs, so they learned to program at a fairly low level. This, in turn, is why Eastern Europe is the world hub of cybercrime, and why cheeki breekistanies are forcibly encrypting your shit until you send them buttcoins.
>>
Chinese and North Korean hackers >
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.