[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /sci/ the longest word composed by 'a' and 'b'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

hello /sci/

the longest word composed by 'a' and 'b' with no pattern repeated twice in a row has length 3, for instance "aba"
it is pretty clear it cant get any longer

what would be the maximum length with no pattern repeated three times in a row? is it even finite?

it can get pretty long, for instance
aabbaabbaabaabbaabbaabaabbaabbabaabbaabbaabaabbaabbaabaabbaabbabaabbaabbaab...

however, for instance, aabababb is not permitted, since 'ab' is repeated three times in a row
>>
>>7838787
your example has the string "aabbaabbaab" repeat continuously.

what is the minimum number of characters required to be a pattern?
>>
a more technical formulation of my question would be "is the quotient of the free group [math]F_2[/math] by [math]\forall x~x^3=e[/math] finite?"
>>
>>7838797
look again at my example
also, the "..." do not imoly that the pattern is repeating, it means that i could go much further but it gets boring

any repeated sequence of characters is a pattern
>>
>>7838798
>free group
Don't you mean the free monoid? The free group would have 4 generators, including a^-1 and b^-1.
>>
>>7838805
if i state that [math]\forall x~x^3=e[/math] it means that there is no need for [math]a^{-1}[/math] since it is the same as [math]aa[/math]
>>
>>7838811
Yeah, but I meant the object you have before factoring out this relation. You're taking the quotient of the free monoid modulo x^3=e.
>>
>>7838814
it is the exact same thing after the quotient anyway
make it a monoid if you prefer
>>
op here

i am starting to become pretty sure it is infinite
consider the following sequence
[math]x_0=ab[/math]
[math]x_{n+1}=x_n x_n {x_n}^{c} {x_n}^{c}[/math]
where the ^c thing means "swap a and b"

it yields an infinite "word"
at least im pretty sure it does, trying to write a proof
>>
>>7838861

Why do you need to repeat x_n ? It seems like a similar argument could be made for the sequence

x_0 = a
x_{n+1} = (x_n) (x_n)^c
>>
>>7838814
>>7838805
Free group on...
implies an identity and inverse. You can think of it as taking those generators and applying the group axioms to them. You could add generators a^-1 and b^-1, but then it wouldn't be free because you've imposed this extra relation - that a^-1 is the inverse of a.
>>
>>7838931
I worded that a bit poorly. The group would be still be free but it wouldn't be the free group on the set {a,b,a^-1,b^-1}. The free group on that set of generators is isomorphic to the free group on {a,b,c,d},.
>>
>>7838913
please stop writing weeaboo text faces this is a science board
>>
>>7838787
abaa repeats a pattern?

And aabbaabb doesn't repeat "aabb"?

I think you need to define your terms better.
>>
>>7838861
If i got your definition right i get:
ab
ababbaba
ababbabaabab > babababa < abab

what do you mean by swap a and b.
also, this is such a good question.
>>7839119
abaa repeat a.
after that we consider 3 repetition's.
>>
>>7839155
aba repeats a as well. Again, what do you mean by repeating a pattern?
>>
>>7839155
damn youre right
thanks for pointing that out
>>7839172
three consecutive occurence of a "word"
>>
>>7839155
>>7838913
also it seems it doesnt happen with this one
this is no proof though
>>
>>7839214
still op here
i have a sketch of a proof that might work with
[math]x_0=a[/math]
[math]x_{n+1}=x_n {x_n}^c[/math]
which yields abbabaabbaababbabaababbaabbabaab...
(but keep in mind that i was pretty sure my previous solution worked too so there might be some oversights)

lets use a technical lemma:
you can prove by induction that if you only consider the letters in position [math]p_0 + 2^k n[/math] then the pattern is the same as the starting pattern (maybe shifted or "swapped" but that doesnt matter)

then here is the draft of my proof:
first, notice that the letters are grouped by pairs, either 'ab' or 'ba'
therefore, there cant be two consecutive occurences of a pattern of odd length: if the first occurence has k 'a' and k+1 'b', then the next one will have k+1 'a', and k 'b'
(that forbids patterns of length 1, 3, 5,
...)

then we notice that that proof still holds for patterns of length [math]2^k n[/math] (with n odd) if we use our lemma and only consider every 2^k th letter starting with the first one of the supposed pattern

therefore there is no repeating pattern, regardless of length
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thue%E2%80%93Morse_sequence
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.