[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cedric Villani Appreciation/Hate thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: Villani.jpg (590KB, 2060x1236px) Image search: [Google]
Villani.jpg
590KB, 2060x1236px
Is this guy a meme?

He does some popularization, but he seems to pride himself on not explaining mathematical concepts in simple language--like an anti-pop sci.

For example, his book , Birth of a Theorem, has pages of raw manuscript with no explanation of what the equations mean.

But then again he dresses like that.
>>
i would say he's a villain
>>
>>7837219

He looks like a pompous ass that weighs about 130lbs and would get ko'd in 1 punch.
>>
>>7837909
>>>/fit/
>>
File: 1444369883677.jpg (182KB, 1562x1196px) Image search: [Google]
1444369883677.jpg
182KB, 1562x1196px
>>7837909
this. once you fit, you look so much better that girls notice and let you eat their pussy.
literally only beta fagtrons do not lift.
>>
>>7837219
>explaining mathematical concepts in simple language
as if
>>
>>7837219
He's French, so most likely he's an arrogant douchbag. His faggy hair makes me want to punch his smug face. Also I knew another French guy who's also called Cedric and he was a fucking douche as well.
>>
Daily reminder that any mathematician who isn’t part of Bourbaki is a meme.
>>
>>7838001
Bourbaki is the original meme of math.
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (150KB, 1010x810px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
150KB, 1010x810px
>>7837916
>dedicate your life to becoming /fit/ so you can eat pussy
>end up doing it for the pleasure of showing off to internet friends
>tfw you'll never eat pussy in your life
>>
>>7837219
what are you talking about, I have his book and he does explain what the equations he writes are. It's just that to understand what he says you kinda need some advanced functional analysis and PDEs.
>>
He is just really, really French.
>>
I met him once. He was doing lectures for my school's math department's week-end.

Outside of his lectures and meals we didn't see him much, I figure he was working in his room.
At some point I asked him for insight about a geometry question but he didn't have much to say about it.

All in all he is an odd person, and he is pretty shy in a way, but he seems like a good guy.

btw, if you care, here is the question I asked him :
So, a guy like you and I, we could wear our underwear for 4 days straight. Because we have 4 different ways to wear it if we turn it inside-out and if put our left leg in the right hole.
How many days straight could a man living in a world of dimension n wear his underwear ?
>>
>he seems to pride himself on not explaining mathematical concepts in simple language--like an anti-pop sci.
I don't really agree here. I have seen him do popsci where he really waxed poetic, but also expository talks for undergrads, grad students and researchers and he really tries to adapt the vocabulary to the audience.
He does sound kind of pompous but I don't think it is a conscious effort, maybe just the way he talks, really.
He seems like a great speaker though: http://youtu.be/zo46TEp6FB8
Also, I have to say that it is really nice that there are people trying to explain to people what math is really about and what mathematicians actually do.
Despite the occasional raising of the French flag when a Fields medal is awarded to one of our boys, France is not exempt from the generalized attitude of defiance towards mathematics.
>>
>>7837219

The guy looks like a Fagatron 3000, and he calls himself a genius

Cedric Villani
Journey into the Mind of a Genius
7:30PM, Thursday, April 16, 2015
Downstairs at Town Hall
$5

https://townhallseattle.org/event/cedric-villani/

why would you CALL YOURSELF a genius, what a dick
>>
>>7838218
I suspect it's about somebody else.
>>
>>7837219
Do you think dressing like this is some sort of talisman for him?
>>
>>7837219
He dresses sharply so ill agree with him whether hes right or not
>>
>>7838218
I suspect that when you have a Fields medal, you can.
>>
>>7837219

>For example, his book , Birth of a Theorem, has pages of raw manuscript with no explanation of what the equations mean

He sounds like a stupid asshole
>>
He changed a lot lately, he has grown a beard and cut his hair, which makes him look less weird.
>>
>>7838297
He explained the goal was not for everyone to understand what's written in the mails (which is basically impossible), but simply to show what's the daily life of a mathematician
>>
>>7838301

Fair enough
>>
This thread is despicable.
Call me when you have one tenth of his genius.
>>
>>7838205
That question hahahaha
How fucking autistic are you?
>>
>>7838319

spotted the sickly little 120lb weakling
>>
>>7838331
>projecting
>>
>>7838329
It's not that uninterresting.
It raises the question of what it means to be able to wear your underwear in different ways.
Do you need a diffeomorphism or an isometry.

For instance, it turns out that if you ask your transformation to be a diffeomorphism that is differentiable twice there are only two ways to wear your underwear in dimension more than 4.
>>
>>7838407
but what's a man in n dimensions ? do you just say the underware is a 2d surface with 3 holes ?
>>
>>7838407
I agree that some similar problem, permutations with set conditions in higher dimensions, could be a good mathematical exercise, but you would have to define these set conditions and the concept of a human wearing underwear is not a good way to delve deeper into this type of problem.
Imo, of course
>>
>>7837972
>prides hismself on not explaining mathematical concepts in simple language
>not explaining
>not
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,t.u2.jpg (39KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.u2.jpg
39KB, 800x800px
>>7837909
>>
File: melon musk.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
melon musk.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
Unlike most meme people that /sci/ masturbates to, he's actually brilliant.
>>
>>7838319
>says to call him
>doesn't provide a number
You're such a fag.
>>
>>7838827

He still looks like a complete and utter pompous twat, though.
>>
>>7837219
Does anyone have a pic of that thread where someone though Vallani's Fields Medal was a "gold coin"?
>>
>>7838847
>projecting
>>
I'm sure he's smart and all but he looks like a fucking clown
>>
>>7838213
>France is not exempt from the generalized attitude of defiance towards mathematics.
Why do the French hate math?
>>
>>7838213
>He does sound kind of pompous but I don't think it is a conscious effort, maybe just the way he talks, really.

He's French, how else are you expecting him to sound?
>>
File: science and mathzz.jpg (117KB, 962x959px) Image search: [Google]
science and mathzz.jpg
117KB, 962x959px
>>7838866

>>7838847
He looks exactly like what you'd expect someone named "Cedric" to look like.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.