[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>professor explains a long proof >ask him why we couldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
>professor explains a long proof
>ask him why we couldn't just subtract here and cut the proof in half
>"sorry we haven't defined subtraction yet"

When did you realize majoring in math was a meme?
>>
Math is just applied philosophy, if you think about.
>>
>>7813774
Just start your undergrad? What objects are you assuming you can subtract?
>>
kek OP, I remember that with division. You get used to it. The way math is done, with definitions, theorems and proof, is hard to get your head around at first. Once you get it you, you get it, and becomes awesome and you start wishing everyone else had that kind of rigor.
>>
File: tired pepe.jpg (6KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
tired pepe.jpg
6KB, 250x241px
>>7813774
>But that doesn't make any sense, professor. How come the result isn't intuitive at all?
>Well, actually, if you use the axiom of choice...
>>
>>7813774
>we haven't defined subtraction yet
enjoying your intro to proofs class OP?

nobody is that autistic in math courses unless you're doing that stupid "hurr we must prove EVERYTHANG because muh RIGOUR" course they make everybody take
>>
>>7813799

AC is for proofs about uncountably infinite sets, what the hell are you talking about
>>
>>7813785
>>7813798
>>7813802

Lel I was just meming I understand the importance of being rigorous but it was funny nonetheless.

It was in my linear algebra class. We were proving certain lemma about vector space using only the axioms we had.
>>
>>7813821

oh nice! you need AC to prove results about uncountably infinite dimensional vector spaces
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.