[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The powers at be no longer have to ban and burn books to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Price Jack.png (163KB, 900x418px) Image search: [Google]
Price Jack.png
163KB, 900x418px
>The powers at be no longer have to ban and burn books to prevent the spread of knowledge
>They just jack up the prices 2500%+
>And no one is none the wiser

Why is this allowed
>>
>>7813385
You can just pirate it.
Most specialized textbooks are also available in draft form (i.e. grammatical errors, formatting errors) and free.
If you want a hard copy, you can just go get on in your library.
The price of those books are high because no one want to buy it except for a few autists and libraries.
>>
>>7813385
College is a scam industry, you think the textbooks you're forced to buy are going to be inexpensive?
>>
>>7813385
>buying a new copy of the latest edition of a textbook.

the second edition is 12$ used off amazon. i can tell you haven't been in school very long because you seem to think there is this huge difference between editions.

protip: there isn't. the books are identical with the exception of a few examples and citations.
>>
>>7813402
>College is a scam industry, you think the textbooks you're forced to buy are going to be inexpensive?
This.

Fucking college is one of the biggest legal scams on the planet.
>>
>>7813385
steal it at your local library
>>
>>7813415
Think of a better way to verify job applicants then.
You can't just create massive entrance exams for 1000 people in every companies because it is costly.
Having a certificate/degree is a nice indicator that you passes some basic blocks. Granted the system is flawed, but there is nothing better now and you have to deal with it.
>>
>>7813385
You can get a new copy of the international edition for less than $20.

Your university library almost certainly has minimum 2-3 copies of Rudin.

Pdfs are easily available.

Alternative analysis books could be purchased for $70-80 if you must have a new copy of the latest edition.

Also you seem to think a textbook is worth less than a dollar
>>
>>7813409
>protip: there isn't. the books are identical with the exception of a few examples and citations

This isn't the 23rd edition of a freshman text. If the editions are spaced out over 10 years from each other, there's usually sizable improvements.
>>
>>7813440
>Also you seem to think a textbook is worth less than a dollar

No but go into your local book store and compare the prices of those niche books and standard textbooks. Something ain't right.
>>
File: 1450657474846.jpg (336KB, 859x687px) Image search: [Google]
1450657474846.jpg
336KB, 859x687px
>>7813463
>sizable improvements.
>in a field that relies purely on logic
>in a subfield that's been around for centuries
>>
>>7813482
>>that's been around for centuries

I'm so sick of people pull that one out of their asses. The majority of STEM subjects have been created in the 20th century. "Metric spaces" have only been around since 1906.
>>
File: file.png (295KB, 1426x570px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
295KB, 1426x570px
>>7813385
Dude, I had to rent from Amazon to avoid getting destroyed by my bookstore. They wanted me to pay 226$ just to rent my Numerical Analysis book.

If only my Professor used the 9th edition to teach, then I could have used a free PDF.
>>
>>7813516
centuries might have been hyperbole, but virtually all of the shit you learn in undergrad is over 100 years old.
>>
>>7813422
>Think of a better way to verify job applicants then.

Certification exams. It's standard for the IT industry and works great. It's the reason a BS in CS will cost $2000 soon enough.
>>
>>7813463
>there's usually sizable improvements.
point some out for me then. for that particular book, they are nearly identical.
>>
>>7813537
>Certification exams.
that doesn't work when a shitload of the legal professions are based on actual application. you'd have to have an apprentice period with some formal training somewhere.
>>
>>7813527
jesus christ, does your university not have a library? doesn't a 9th edition suffice? why do you need the exact same book?

also burden is nice
>>
>>7813385
>teacher posts all the homework problems online
>book is 250$
>just get some Dover book written in the 1940's for like 6$
>all the material is the fucking same

lol you guys are straight retarded
>>
>>7813532

LU decomposition from freshman linear algebra was only invented by Turing in 1948. QR was in 1958. Schrodinger Equation was 1925. Transistors appeared in 1947. FORTRAN came in 1957. C++ was 1983. NP-completeness was 1971. Linear Programming was solved in polynomial time in 1979. Chaos Theory only began to appear in 1961. The US unleashed AIDs in 1981. Fermat's Last Theorem was proved in 1994. The discovery that math and logic were just social constructs created to disproportionately disenfranchise minorities was unearthed in 2015.
>>
>>7813527
The same book costs $15 in mexico
>>
>>7813620
yeah, now compare that to the volumes of ancient shit you learn.
>>
>>7813548
>1st edition: 227 pages
>3rd edition: 342 pages

It has 50% more content
>>
>>7813625
The only ancient shit you learn is basic arithmetic (and Euclidean Geometry but no one learns that anymore) in grade school. High school mathematics didn't start appearing until the 16th century and meaningful stuff didn't happen until the 19th century.
>>
>>7813395
I remember a news story a few months ago talking about how people buy them cheap once summer starts and jacks up the price near the start of fall. I would recommend buying them then, although pirating would probably be the best option.
>>
>>7813629
i was comparing the 2nd edition m8.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.